Manchester United

redrus

No doubt Fergie's record is outstanding, but I think Mourinho will/is challenging for the most successful.

I don't think he is anywhere near 49 trophies yet though.

Mourinho's on twenty so far, at fifty years old and after thirteen years in management.

By the time SAF was fifty he had won thirteen trophies and had been a manager for seventeen years.

But can Mourinho be anywhere near as successful over the next twenty one years as SAF has been over the last twenty one?

that will depend what age mourinho is when he actually vanishes up his own arse.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Sublime !

No doubt Fergie's record is outstanding, but I think Mourinho will/is challenging for the most successful.

Mourinho's on twenty so far, at fifty years old and after thirteen years in management.

By the time SAF was fifty he had won thirteen trophies and had been a manager for seventeen years.

But can Mourinho be anywhere near as successful over the next twenty one years as SAF has been over the last twenty one?

that will depend what age mourinho is when he actually vanishes up his own arse.

And I think that will depend on just how successful he is over the next ten years.

I think you need to take into account the circumstances in which SAF & Mourinho have won their trophies. Also what they each have done for their respective clubs to compare success. Even if Mourinho did win more trophies eventually, I don't think it makes him a greater success than SAF.

Edited by BangrakBob

Nobody knows what the future will bring. We can only deal with achievements already achieved. As things stand, Mourinho isn't even close. Nothing more to discuss.

• Like 1

I would prefer Jose to be fair, but if its Moyes well that's what we got, and we got to support him. I don't think he's the right man, but if it works great. I think the fans will give him a fair crack of the whip though, even if he isn't the number one choice, unlike the Scousers and The Chavs did with Hodgson and Benitez.

I don't think Moyes would be many people's first choice, but he wouldn't be far down the list, for me anyway, and a lot of the so called first choice big names, don't interest me in the slightest.. Mourinho for example, would be totally wrong. We can't expect the next manager to last 26 years, but we should aim for a good ten years, so there is time given to build things that will last. Mourinho is only interested in coming in for a couple of years and having his moment of fame and glory, and then pissing off. Fine if you are a desperate club only worried about the here and now, but not for us thanks.

As for Moyes style of play not being the United way, Moyes has spent the last ten years at Everton with the sorts of restraints that make it difficult for the most positive manager in the world to be thinking about flair and panache. His job has been first and foremost about surviving, and that means concentrating on the basics. At United, he'll have a lot more freedom in both his choice of players and how he sends them out to play. I don't expect him to employ the same tactics he has used to date.

As for lack of European experience, yes , there is that, but on the other hand, he has, with the exception of SAF and Wenger, got more experience in the league than anyone else, and it's the league i really care about more than anything.

Still can't quite believe this day has come. When SAF announced he would retire a few years ago, i was actually feeling like it was time for a change, and didn't feel that sad as i felt he had achieved all that he could, but he totally proved me wrong and has if anything become even more formidable, getting greater performances from teams that have actually been becoming more unremarkable year by year. Truly one of a kind.

• Like 1

If Moyes gets the job, do you think he's going to want to stick it to Rooney?

biggrin.png

what, the player who moyes successfully sued for libel five years ago? surely not.

A good enough reason to assume that Ferguson's decision to quit was not one made overnight, but was in the offing when Moyes/agent,started making noises about leaving Everton a month or so ago. At the time ,I thought it strange that he should start moaning. Why now and where's he going?,I asked myself. Well,now we know what he was after and Rooney wasn't going to hang around knowing Moyes was on the horizon.

Moyes, will be good IMO. Let us not forget that apart from 1 or 2 moments, Fergie's one downfall...., he's tactically inept. That I know, is almost like saying Gigg's is <deleted> cos he's got no right foot but, I'm sure you get what I mean.... :-/ Moyes, is not.

Ronney, Nani and Anderson out....... Marchisio and Ronaldo, IN....... You saw it <----------- here first.. ;)

redrus

From 'The Rising Blue'..... A good City tribute.

http://therisingblue.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/farewell-sir-alex-a-city-tribute/?

redrus

"the most successful managerial career football has ever seen " clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

OMG, I knew united fans were deluded, but this is taking the piss really!

Go on, I will bite. Who has a better record?

Never thought I would find myself defending Ferguson, but I simply dont get the above post?

Vicente Del Bosque, you do realize football is played in other countries right? blink.png

Oh and another guy named Mourinho, maybe you've heard of him?

it took fergie 27 million years to win 2 champions league titles with manure, and Mourinho has won 2 in 6 years with 2 separate teams. this year should've been his 3rd.

Edited by Jayroo

If Moyes gets the job, do you think he's going to want to stick it to Rooney?

biggrin.png

what, the player who moyes successfully sued for libel five years ago? surely not.

A good enough reason to assume that Ferguson's decision to quit was not one made overnight, but was in the offing when Moyes/agent,started making noises about leaving Everton a month or so ago. At the time ,I thought it strange that he should start moaning. Why now and where's he going?,I asked myself. Well,now we know what he was after and Rooney wasn't going to hang around knowing Moyes was on the horizon.

and there's one thing everyone keeps forgetting - it was leaked twelve months ago that ferguson would retire now. by dave whelan of all people.

"Sir Alex Ferguson will retire "after next season" due to health concerns, according to Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic chairman. Whelan, who is a close friend of the Manchester United manager, told ESPN: "After next season, Sir Alex will call it a day. The pressure is telling, especially when you are at the top for so long. The older you get the harder it is to cope with all that pressure, and eventually it will affect you. Sir Alex is resilient and I know he will want to carry on until he drops, and I respect what he has achieved as everyone does. I am sure his intention was to carry on for two or three, maybe even more years, but he has had a little scare in the last week or so and that tells me he will think very hard, and realise there is no point trying to carry on for another five years and take the risk."

from here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/25/sir-alex-ferguson-retirement-date

Mourinho has won 2 in 6 years with 2 separate teams. this year should've been his 3rd.

Should have been his 3rd? On what basis?

Not only a troll, but a delusional troll at that !cheesy.gif

• Like 2

Mourinho has won 2 in 6 years with 2 separate teams. this year should've been his 3rd.

Should have been his 3rd? On what basis?

On the basis that I know more about football than you ever! will. Don't change the subject, he still has reached an equal number of Champions League trophies in a quarter of the time it took fergie..

By the way Del Bosque's record is better than both of theirs. 2 Champions League cups in the space of 2 years with Real Madrid. Guided Spain to their first ever World Cup trophy in 2010, and guided them to European success last year. This is something fergie will only ever dream of doing.

Edited by Jayroo

Its not a done deal just yet..... Something has snagged, there was an MUTV announcement for 3pm GMT that has been pulled.

It also has not been announced on the NYSE either, it has to be done there first....!

redrus

Back to reality............

A move for Marchisio would strengthen Man Utd and Juventus

lifesapitch

In recent weeks Juventus midfielder Claudio Marchisio has been repeatedly linked with a move to Manchester United, with reports in both England and Italy discussing a possible transfer for the 27-year-old Turin native. While the newly crowned Serie A champions may not want to sell their homegrown star, doing so could actually prove to be a fantastic move by both clubs.

Known as il Principino – ‘the Little Prince’ – Marchisio has defied the odds to become a regular in midfield for the Bianconeri. Despite seeing the club waste countless millions on players such as Tiago Mendes, Christian Poulsen and Momo Sissoko, he has become a valuable cog in the side that has won two consecutive league titles since the arrival of manager Antonio Conte in 2011.

Marchisio is a box-to-box midfielder – a rarity in Italian football – and has a seemingly limitless supply of energy that makes him an obvious target for clubs in the high-octane world of the Premier League. He can do it all: tackle, intercept, pass and score goals – eight in 35 appearances this term, together with four assists, giving him better statistics than any Man Utd midfielder.

Perhaps his greatest assets are his intelligence and positional awareness, often used to nullify the opposition’s better players in a manner that is all but impossible to measure using statistics. He has done so from his usual central role, from out wide – where he has prevented players like Maicon from pressing forward – or from a more advanced position just behind the attack. This constant shuffling around to quash threats in the opposition line rarely appears to subdue Marchisio’s own attacking threat, as his Champions League performances against Celtic and Chelsea highlighted.

The midfielder is a key part of Conte’s relentless pressing approach, a system akin to that regularly seen from Man Utd, while also contributing key goals in big games in a manner reminiscent of Paul Scholes’ early days at Old Trafford.

He would be almost perfect for United as they look to the post-Ferguson era and, while the touted swap deal for Nani should be disregarded as nonsense, reports of a bid in the region of £25m-£30m seem much closer to the mark. Saying goodbye to a player who arrived at the club at the age of seven would be a wrench for Juve and their fans, yet this move could also become an ideal situation for the grand Old Lady of Italian football.

Conte would still have many quality options in midfield – Arturo Vidal has undoubtedly been Juve’s player of the year, and keeping one of European football’s most complete midfielders alongside the eternally great Andrea Pirlo allows Juve to continue to build.

While one-time Man Utd target Kwadwo Asamoah is also on hand to provide cover should he be needed, it is ironic that the biggest factor affecting the whole situation may be the presence of Paul Pogba in Turin. At just 20 years old, the player who fled Old Trafford bemoaning a lack of opportunity has fought his way into the starting line-up and proven himself more than capable in his 27 league appearances.

Pogba’s emergence has forced Conte to alter his formation, pushing Marchisio from his regular midfield slot into a role as a second striker alongside lining up behind Mirko Vucinic, where his presence has allowed Juventus to consistently control games against tough opponents. A game he missed – a 1-0 defeat at Roma – showed his value, as without him the Bianconeri were unable to find a route to goal. Marchisio has a remarkable ability to find pockets of space between the lines to carve open the most stubborn of defences.

While the money is not desperately needed, it would prove an ideal boost to the transfer funds available to the Italian champions, as they chase the kind of striker needed to bridge the all-too obvious gap to the current European elite. That gulf was shown as Bayern Munich dispatched Juventus last month, and it is no surprise that the Bianconeri are once again linked with moves for players of the calibre of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Luis Suárez this summer.

They have missed out on similar targets in recent years, and the absence of a ‘top player’ has been much lamented by fans and the Italian media alike, despite their domestic success. Selling Marchisio may well be heresy to those who hold Juventus dear. But in doing so, it could strengthen not one but two of Europe’s most prestigious clubs.

redrus

Edited by redrus

RT@SkyNewsBreak: Manchester United confirm David Moyes as the club's new manager on a six-year contract

RT@BBCBreaking: Man Utd confirm Everton manager David Moyes will take over from Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of the season

RT@BBCBreaking: Everton's David Moyes to join Man Utd from 1 July on 6-year deal, club says in statement to New York Stock Exchange

RT@cnni: BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United confirm Everton's David Moyes will take over from Alex Ferguson as manager