Terrorism In Thailand, What Can We Do?

wildorchid

Often we can see Thai news on TV and papers, YET another bomb attact or shooting or mindless killing by terroist groups mostly in the south of Thailand, I'm confused as to why Police, military, govenment and the people themselvs (NOT militia groups) doing more to find the guilty and bring them too justice?

A friend of mine works in a hospital and never wears her uniform out in public for fear as this will make her a target,

They bomb schools, and when people come to help they bomb those who come too the aid of others, such as fire fighters, ambulance officers police, sodiers, doctors nurces ect, and yet if thier (Terrorist )family members are in need of medical help they use the hospitals and then turn and bomb and kill those that give that help the next day, this is insanity...

I have verious thoughts on what can be done but I'm asking you for your thoughs please.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You as an individual can do nothing except be vigilant.

Nearly everywhere around the world has some sort of terrorist/militia who will do anything?

Remember that if you get involved in any way, then you make yourself, your family and your compatriots targets as well.

Edited by beano2274
  • Like 1

I'm confused as to why Police, military, govenment and the people themselvs (NOT militia groups) doing more to find the guilty and bring them too justice?

The problem here is that active terrorists are not going to help the authorities to identify them. I expect that most of them appear to live normal lives and blend in. It' not the same as war, where you are able to identify the enemy because they are wearing a different uniform.

Their are plenty of things you could do but none of them will have any real effect

Are you saying putting on my tin foil hat and sitting in the corner of the room facing the wall is not going to help ?... I am gutted...ermm.gif

• Like 1

i had a load of terrorist trying to build my house,until i kicked them off

Just curious why you didn't report the terrorists to the security forces. Or are you saying the workers came from a particular religious group and you're yet another bigot?

Edited by simple1

I guess it must be a problem in certain areas of Thailand, especially in the south. But I have not noticed any concern from anyone I know In the north east where I am, or in BKK where I spend a little time

.IMO, I think I face a much greater threat from crazy Thai drivers than I face from any terrorists.

Ex Scaley back. Served my time, lucky for me never went to Iraq the first time.

Hate it when people do the things Dean mentions in his post.

Things in Thailand will never change.

I am ex RAF for 25 years and retired in 1984. Fortunately for me the only medal I got was for Long Service and Good Conduct.

If I had to go to an active service zone I would have gone as that it what I was paid for.

The people in the UK who do this sort of thing have never seen a war and have no concept of a life without personal comforts or walking down the road when a car bomb goes off killing and mutilating innocent men, women and children. They only know how to take and not give, they have no honour or real friends and lack respect for anyone anywhere.

We also have people standing at the side of the road shouting child killers at are returning military, as they march through the streets. We also have people burning poppies and the Union Jack during rememberance parades.

What makes them all the scum of the earth is; they are happy to, take hand-outs and live in the west and preach there vile hate towards us, but it's the military that has shaped the UK. They should respect the people that have given up there life, so they have the right to have there freedom and live in peace in the UK.

How can you say you hate everything western, yet live here. They could always go and live in Afghan, where there children will be killed by IED's and there wife's and daughters will be rapped and have no freedom.

• Like 1

The first step is that both sides must realise that violence is not the answer.

The perception of grievance by the majority Muslim population by the government in Bangkok has to be addressed. Whilst that exists support for what many see as freedom fighters will go on.

A peace process needs to be started that includes a root and branch reform of the military and police in the southern provinces.

As there is next to no trust between the two sides the best thing would be bringing in an international mediator agreeable to both sides.

The process will takes years maybe even decades even if the will exists

Will it happen? Not whilst the military wield so much influence in Thailand imho.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Plenty of lessons to be learnt from the Troubles and the Malayan Emegency.

IMO area and population security are key factors in the deep south as is hearts and minds.

I do not know what the general consensus of the deep south population is. Do you want to break away or remain Thai? This is a key question. Anyone know if any such surveys have been carried out or am I dreaming since TIT?

Following is the URL for an article in the Econmist that provides some food for thought as well as another commentary from the Council on Foreign Relationships, both sources are held in high regard by many observers.

http://www.economist.com/node/21554246

http://www.cfr.org/thailand/muslim-insurgency-southern-thailand/p12531?breadcrumb=/region/290/southeast_asia

• Like 1

Plenty of lessons to be learnt from the Troubles and the Malayan Emegency.

IMO area and population security are key factors in the deep south as is hearts and minds.

I do not know what the general consensus of the deep south population is. Do you want to break away or remain Thai? This is a key question. Anyone know if any such surveys have been carried out or am I dreaming since TIT?

Dreaming of course.

Trying to find out the truth would be dangerous since both sides of the armed violence would see themselves as threatened by it.

The military is NOT the answer. The military is full of folks who lack compassion and reason... as can be witnessed by the "send them all back to the desert" comment and similar (above). Sorry, you don't represent me and you are NOT keeping me free with that attitude. You are NOT fighting for my freedom. On the contrary, you are fanning the flames of hatred. Anyone who would volunteer to join the Crusade is at the grassroots cause of the problem. You cannot fight terrorism with foot soldiers and drones.

Soldiers are pawns for the Military Industrial Complex and nothing more. I'm sure you mean well, but I would prefer more thinking and less trigger pulling, please.

If humanity is to finally progress past this Dark Age mentality, we need to talk more and fight less.

If you live by the sword, you die by the sword. I see no reason to continue down the path of using violence to quell violence. Obviously, it isn't working in the Middle East or in Southern Thailand.

Edited by Galong

Their are plenty of things you could do but none of them will have any real effect

Are you saying putting on my tin foil hat and sitting in the corner of the room facing the wall is not going to help ?... I am gutted...ermm.gif

If you believe it will help, then it will help. Won't have any real effect though.............wink.png

"Often we can see Thai news on TV and papers, YET another bomb attact or shooting or mindless killing by terroist groups mostly in the south of Thailand, I'm confused as to why Police, military, govenment and the people themselvs (NOT militia groups) doing more to find the guilty and bring them too justice?

A friend of mine works in a hospital and never wears her uniform out in public for fear as this will make her a target,

They bomb schools, and when people come to help they bomb those who come too the aid of others, such as fire fighters, ambulance officers police, sodiers, doctors nurces ect, and yet if thier (Terrorist )family members are in need of medical help they use the hospitals and then turn and bomb and kill those that give that help the next day, this is insanity..."

The main trouble here, as in many other parts of the world, IMHO, is that the governments and security/police forces have their hands tied by political correctness, which is the globally accepted flavour.

In no way is this a "Hang em' High" or "Destroy the lot of em'" attitude on my part; it is simple fact. The security forces probably know who the ring leaders, financial backers, foot soldiers, etc. are, but without concrete proof, ie, for them to be caught in the act, they are powerless to act.

Give the guys some latitude, based on sound intelligence, and let them do their jobs! Hard fast action and less pussy-footing about. But that won't happen until something tragic happens to the PC brigade who will remain seeing the world through tinted glasses from their ivory towers.

Fighting terrorism with disproportionate and generalized violence, and changing laws giving up our treasured individual liberties allowing governments more and more oversight over our lives - bottom line is they've already won.

We accept thousands and thousands of people dying every year in order to have private cars, legal alcohol and tobacco, all kinds of risks we accept in our daily lives.

Fight terrorists the same way we fight other ordinary criminals, accept a few skyscrapers being knocked down every once in a while as the price of freedom.

Do our best to ignore them - anything else and they've already won.

• Like 2

Fighting terrorism with disproportionate and generalized violence, and changing laws giving up our treasured individual liberties allowing governments more and more oversight over our lives - bottom line is they've already won.

We accept thousands and thousands of people dying every year in order to have private cars, legal alcohol and tobacco, all kinds of risks we accept in our daily lives.

Fight terrorists the same way we fight other ordinary criminals, accept a few skyscrapers being knocked down every once in a while as the price of freedom.

Do our best to ignore them - anything else and they've already won.

Johnny, while it is true that the media is the second biggest part of the terrorist's arsenal, if they can use their primary weapon of terror freely, then what?

The need for a functional intelligence network, inter-departmental, is essential. To also have the authority to act on this intelligence is essential also.

Nip it in the bud!

Solutions for Thailand and the UK..........send them all to a desert somewhere, build a big wall to keep them in and leave them to fry.

In the UK one of the deserted Scottish islands would be the most effective.

I'm sure Thailand must have a few of those.

Give them supplies once a month, let them get on with it by themselves.

Although being a bit of a conspiracy theorist, I'm convinced most terrorist acts are conceived by the governments themselves. Keep your people scared and you can impose whatever limits on their freedom you like.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Johnny, while it is true that the media is the second biggest part of the terrorist's arsenal, if they can use their primary weapon of terror freely, then what?

The need for a functional intelligence network, inter-departmental, is essential. To also have the authority to act on this intelligence is essential also.

Nip it in the bud!

I'm not saying "let them" do anything freely, just don't change the whole relationship between individual rights and government powers to try to fight them. If we used the same tactics to prevent say road accidents the average joe would never tolerate it.

I think their "weapon of terror" would be a lot less effective if government agencies didn't amplify the threat for their own purposes. The founding fathers of the US are spinning in their graves.

I agree with beano2274.

In the UK with have home grown terrorists (blow up the London underground). We also have people standing at the side of the road shouting child killers at are returning military, as they march through the streets. We also have people burning poppies and the Union Jack during rememberance parades.

Well poppies are a symbol of British state sanctioned drug dealing in China 150 years ago.

I agree with beano2274.

In the UK with have home grown terrorists (blow up the London underground). We also have people standing at the side of the road shouting child killers at are returning military, as they march through the streets. We also have people burning poppies and the Union Jack during rememberance parades.

Well poppies are a symbol of British state sanctioned drug dealing in China 150 years ago.

oh boy, reading this comment I wonder if Time Traveller even knows anything about botany, let alone what the origin of the poppy as a symbol of the tragedy and inutility of war is about. Read some books please, maybe learn how to use Google

I agree with beano2274.

Poppy symbol in the U.K. actually originated from the poppy fields in Western Europe in WW1

Nip it in the bud!

I'm not saying "let them" do anything freely, just don't change the whole relationship between individual rights and government powers to try to fight them. If we used the same tactics to prevent say road accidents the average joe would never tolerate it.

I think their "weapon of terror" would be a lot less effective if government agencies didn't amplify the threat for their own purposes. The founding fathers of the US are spinning in their graves.

Certainly wasn't suggesting any change to anyone's individual rights, except the people responsible for the acts of terror. I am not talking about carpet-bombing and mass troop deployment, used in the name of anti-terrorism for political or commercial gain as we have seen over the last decade or so.

If the present approach doesn't work (which it doesn't) organize your intelligence, and give the people who are trained for it the latitude to conduct surgical strikes against the targets.

Fight fear with fear. It may not be considered PC in these days, but it works!

Nip it in the bud!

Certainly wasn't suggesting any change to anyone's individual rights, except the people responsible for the acts of terror. I am not talking about carpet-bombing and mass troop deployment, used in the name of anti-terrorism for political or commercial gain as we have seen over the last decade or so.

If the present approach doesn't work (which it doesn't) organize your intelligence, and give the people who are trained for it the latitude to conduct surgical strikes against the targets.

So you're saying Tak Bai and Krue Se improved the situation in the south are you?

Giving the military carte blanche to act with impunity solves nothing and when scores of innocents are killed with no redress all it will do is futher alienate a population that considers itself oppressed.

Nip it in the bud!

So you're saying Tak Bai and Krue Se improved the situation in the south are you?

Giving the military carte blanche to act with impunity solves nothing and when scores of innocents are killed with no redress all it will do is futher alienate a population that considers itself oppressed.

Certainly not! Read what I have said in my post before assuming that I would endorse the actions of the above events. The words surgical and intelligence should have given a bit of a clue, neither of which were present at Tak Bai and Krue Se.

Edited by chrisinth

It helps us...