Whats The Best Brand Air Cond And Refrigerator To Buy?

westbounder

I need to buy 2 air con units (each unit aprox. 24,000 btu)

somehow that doesn't sound right. somebody who has a big bedroom that requires a 24k btu a/c has a home with more rooms which require airconditioning besides bedroom and living room. but then... i'm just assuming ermm.gif

I need to buy 2 air con units (each unit aprox. 24,000 btu)

somehow that doesn't sound right. somebody who has a big bedroom that requires a 24k btu a/c has a home with more rooms which require airconditioning besides bedroom and living room. but then... i'm just assuming ermm.gif

Yeh, <deleted> big room, perhaps have five a side foot ball nights with the lads. thumbsup.gif

Can any one recommend a 'local' who has the equipment to carry out a service on an air Con unit ?

I had my unit serviced about 2 years ago, lost contact No, and I feel I need to have a check carried out.

I do remove and clean the course Filter occasionally.

john

An oversized A/C is pointless, it will cut off when the temperature has reached its setting, before the humidity, which is what causes the disconfort, has been removed.

Yes, a good point indeed and when you go to Siam TV/Homepro their calcs to determine the required BTU for the area work out around double that of US and Australian government websites - check out www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

Cheers

Jag

An oversized A/C is pointless, it will cut off when the temperature has reached its setting, before the humidity, which is what causes the disconfort, has been removed.

Yes, a good point indeed and when you go to Siam TV/Homepro their calcs to determine the required BTU for the area work out around double that of US and Australian government websites - check out www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=roomac.pr_properly_sized

Cheers

Jag

You did notice that energystar calculate in square feet. Also in general the US is a lot cooler than here in summer and thus we need larger here to maintain the same temperature.

Edited by harrry

Cheers

Jag

You did notice that energystar calculate in square feet. Also in general the US is a lot cooler than here in summer and thus we need larger here to maintain the same temperature.

Yep - did the calc to sqm. If you google it you will find other sites with similar calc results. Also, there is a thread somewhere here on TV that I read recently and many seem to be of the opinion that local calcs are well oversized. Bigger may not necessarily better in this case ;)

the US of A is indeed a lot cooler than Thailand, especially Alaska whistling.gif

the US of A is indeed a lot cooler than Thailand, especially Alaska whistling.gif

So Ajaska needs a big big airconditioner does it. DO they keep the beer in the fridge to stop it freezing.

Cheers

Jag

Yep - did the calc to sqm. If you google it you will find other sites with similar calc results. Also, there is a thread somewhere here on TV that I read recently and many seem to be of the opinion that local calcs are well oversized. Bigger may not necessarily better in this case wink.png

The calculator I prefer is lengthxbreadthxheight/2 (in metres) giving the answer in BTU. Humidity is not much of a problem as aircons (maybe not all) come with an air dry function and sometimes that is all thats needed. One problem of buying one too oversized for the room means the compressor is starting and stopping too often similarly one too small runs all the time and even then may not cool the room down sufficiently. Both cases are undesirable. A motors start current is roughly 6 times its running current and requires a set amount of run time to allow it to cool down and obviously one that is running constantly will wear out quicker. Whether a compressor cycling quickly will add much to a lecky bill is, I guess, open to debate.

Can any one recommend a 'local' who has the equipment to carry out a service on an air Con unit ?

I had my unit serviced about 2 years ago, lost contact No, and I feel I need to have a check carried out.

john

I use Siam TV for my Mitsubishi. 450 Baht for cleaning and service. Gas extra (if needed). You need to make an appointment with them (office behind the store) and they will show up exactly when they say and do a very thorough job cleaning the unit.

For some reason they won't work on Saijo Denki. I use the place I bought it from for service; P.K. Air. There are about 5 of them around C.M. About 500 Baht.

wish they would stop sticking those F***ing energy stickers on the fronts!

Energy saved by the sticker is more than outweighed by the energy expended in trying to remove it.

how can stickers save energy? why not use their brains and put it on the side? I mean who wants an ugly sticker on the front of a nice unit in their living room?

wish they would stop sticking those F***ing energy stickers on the fronts!

Energy saved by the sticker is more than outweighed by the energy expended in trying to remove it.

.... I mean who wants an ugly sticker on the front of a nice unit in their living room?

Greenies

Anything but Samsung. I would never-ever again buy Samsung. The plastic inside is deteriorating and the ice cubes keeps plugging the discharge chute. Fourth time replaced under warrantee and we are still plugging, and plugging, and plugging. Seriously considered to use it for shotgun practice shooting, demolition derby, or as a gravity-existence proof device. Or maybe it’s just me?

A motors start current is roughly 6 times its running current and requires a set amount of run time to allow it to cool down and obviously one that is running constantly will wear out quicker.

av-11672.gif

john

I recently used this person to add gas. He did a good job was polite etc.

Worasak Khampio

081-765-7321

I didn't need cleaning because like you I clean the filter.

I don't remember price but think it was 300 THB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To OP's question.....

We have had a Panasonic in our condo for 5 years...

Never any problems...did add gas this year...

Same with Hitachi Fridge....no problems.

Mitsubishi we just installed in parents house seems well made too.

Dont have much track time with it yet

Edited by flying

• 4 months later...
LG best fridge, as manual in English.....other brands manual only thai; as the whole world speak thai!

I understand your pain,how terrible that one buys consumer goods in Thailand and the instruction manual is in Thai,whatever next,Thai only menus in restaurants.

Sorry back on topic,I have a Samsung fridge and Mitsubishi air con units,happy with all of them,and in fairness many electronic goods are far cheaper here and thus easily replaced if they pack up completely.

Edited by stoneyboy

LG best fridge, as manual in English.....other brands manual only thai; as the whole world speak thai!

I cannot say I've ever read a manual for a fridge. There really is nothing I can think I would need to look up. If there was I'd just ask uncle Google.

Diakin & MItsubishi has the best reputation. As for fridges ...almost everything is made by Haier just marketed under the original names....stick with Samsung / Sharp ones as they are made in Thailand...like buying a Honda bikes you get service easily from the folks here as it is common

We have Mitsubishi Electric aircons- specifically specified by the Ms. She says Thai ppl consider them to be the best / most reliable / cheapest repairs and parts. Can't disagree with this- It runs fine and never needed any repair besides semi-annual cleaning.

Refrigerator - we have Samsung. Again, chosen by her. I hate it. It isn't good enough to keep ice cream hard, and It isn't frost-free. There is a button inside that we have to push for defrosting. After pushing the button, it pisses all over the kitchen floor. Hate that. I'm waiting for one of the up-country family members to need a new fridge so that we can hand off this one and get something better.

So- I'd suggest that whatever brand you get, make sure it is frost free.

No comment on air-con.

We've had two Samsung fridges, both failed several times and both times trying to get the warranty honoured was a waste of time.

We currently have an LG side by side (I think that's what it's called - two full length doors in one big unit).

The left side (full length door but width is less than right side door)) is the freezer, it keeps very cold and no frost and the shelves / drawers are quite well configured (for our family needs).

But the right side (normal fridge) is a big disappointment, it 's capacity is much smaller than you would expect by just looking at the outside of the whole fridge. So much so that we bought a smaller Mitsubishi fridge with a small freezer compartment within the fridge, and we use the Mitsu mainly for drinks and fruit.

Definitely wouldn't buy the side by side type again.

Edited by scorecard

Diakin & MItsubishi has the best reputation. As for fridges ...almost everything is made by Haier just marketed under the original names....stick with Samsung / Sharp ones as they are made in Thailand...like buying a Honda bikes you get service easily from the folks here as it is common

never heard of Diakin but Daikin is good (just kiddin) - quite (and the IS important) and reliable - avoid LG and Samsung