Viewers In Suspense As UEFA EURO 2012 Talks Drag On

webfact

If you have a UK proxy, you can download any game shown on the BBC the following morning using get_iplayer. Works well for me on Linux, I guess the windows version will be OK too. It saves the file as an MP4. If you have a USB port on yout TV it should play it from any USB hard disk or USB stick. Or just watch it on your PC.

I would prefer to watch on True - I invested in the PVR hard disk especially to watch the Euro's.

The present situation will stand...ie no signal to True viewers.

On the olympics.....ESPN Star have the rights but whether or not they can show it in Thailand is in doubt.

As a True , UBC , IBC subscriber of over 20 years this is no surprise to me at all.

Grammy are obviously here to take True on, why after gaining the rights to Euro 2012 would they even consider sharing them with True!

For True subscribers whining that they cannot watch Euro 2012 , go out and pay the B1,590 for the Grammy box and encourage competition! It will be better for all subscribers in the long run if True have competition. Anybody who remembers what a breath of fresh air UTV was will agree.

I for one welcome Grammy's stance and hope they do not cave in to True.

• Like 1

Just so you know, the 4 games so far have been dramatic and compelling viewing coffee1.gif

What shiite, the Polish-Greece game was nervy and poor, and the Dutch-Danish game was awful albeit with a suitably unpredicted result. The Germans went through the motions and just got away with it while Ronaldo was too busy fixing his hairstyle. Only the Russians so far have turned up meaning business and thus destroyed the Czechs!

• Like 1

....... Personally I hope True looses out so lines of customers begin to cancel their subscriptions to a way over priced product. ....... {apologies if you dislike my redaction}

By what benchmarks do you conclude that True is way over-priced? Is it more expensive than comparable offerings elsewhere worldwide? Does True make superprofits from its franchise? Is it a monopoly provider of television services exploiting the public by dint of no competition throughout the nation? Are one in ten households completely stupid? Can you not afford it?

Happy customer,

Kantharalak

• Like 1

....... Personally I hope True looses out so lines of customers begin to cancel their subscriptions to a way over priced product. ....... {apologies if you dislike my redaction}

By what benchmarks do you conclude that True is way over-priced? Is it more expensive than comparable offerings elsewhere worldwide? Does True make superprofits from its franchise? Is it a monopoly provider of television services exploiting the public by dint of no competition throughout the nation? Are one in ten households completely stupid? Can you not afford it?

Happy customer,

Kantharalak

1. True never discloses profits.

2. More expensive? Well if I made 300 Bath a day I would say it is expensive.

3. Yes, it is a monopoly, or should say was one till GMMZ came along. Just wait and see what happens to True if IPTV ever gets off the ground here.

4. One in ten households certainly do watch True but seven out of ten don't actually pay for it

because they cannot afford it.

5. Yes I can afford it but decided to close our account after the ASN goings on.

6. Does True pay to broadcast local free channels? Does True pay to broadcast boxing

matches and other programming that originate outside of Thailand?

7. True once again is attempting to get a free ride at someone else's expense. If that is an

Incorrect statement then why did True refuse to join GMMZ in obtaining the right to

broadcast the matches?

A happy former True customer........

Happy customer,

Kantharalak

I for one think True is overpriced, the Platinum package they advertised is about 3,000 baht if I'm not mistaken.

IMO most of channels are are worthless, and the channels I do watch like History, Nat Geo, Discovery ect., shows programming that are almost 2 years old. ANX for example does air some new series, but about 2-3 months after the US air date.

For comparison, the most expensive package for Directv in the US is $90 and you get twice as many channels with a majority in HD.

Edited by arkom

Happy customer,

Kantharalak

I can afford True and do. It still remains that competition will force them to either provide a better quality service or reduce their fee's. As I see it thats a win win for customers as long as Grammy stay around.

Hi crazykopite,

We have a better solution for you. Click on our advert on the right hand side tomorrow and sign up for a free 2 day trial. It will get you through the first game in very good quality. Then take or leave an additional package from there. No payment needed initially.

Hope you enjoy the match!

Is this service legal?

Now all those troubled TRUE customers who laughed at those who lost ASN to GMMZ, NFL, NHL ect. now realise what it feels like. In "True" fashion they only regard the Baht and are unwilling to pony up money which should be paid if they want to broadcast programming which was purchased by another. A continuing example of greed on True's part. Personally I hope True looses out so lines of customers begin to cancel their subscriptions to a way over priced product.

For years people complained that Thailand needed another company with large sums of money to put some sence into True's supposed marketing plan. Now that that day has come everyone seems to be angry at GMMZ who asked True to join in obtaining the rights to EURO 2012 but refused. Nuff said.....

Too true, but to have a company like GMM Grammy fill that billet, I do not think, will have the desired effect.

RT@RichardBarrow: GMM-Z has sold nearly 1 million satellite boxes within 4 months. TrueVisions has sold less than 2 million over many years TR @noppatjak

So GMM-Z already got a revenue of 1.5 billion baht on the boxes alone. Must be a hefty profit in there considering the boxes are made in China. Hope there's life after Euro for this venture which has otherwise about 250+ channels of utter crap. :rolleyes:

The need a few hours to conclude the talks, talks they should have concluded before and not after the tournament had started. Unfortunately True and Grammy wipe their behind with their subscribers and advertisers as they refuse to work on Saturday and Sunday (Maybe a missionary kind of thing, who knows?). On Monday they have no time to go to their lawyer because he is busy robbing other clients. The first available date is in that case Tuesday. By which the National Broadcast authority has hopefully slept the maximum fine of 5 million baht per day on True and the free to air broadcasters alike. There is a nice bonus for Grammy though, they are selling their setup boxes like hot cakes. Good for True because they can slap Grammy in return for using their satellite dishes with Grammy or DTV boxes.

The bottom-line is that Thai consumers are nothing more than walking wallets for the businesses catering to them. Have a look at Wikipedia which artists Grammy is ripping off with a 3 to 4% royalty on their records and than do not buy them.

Is it any different anywhere else? Like it or not, the system is that sports rights are bought by the highest bidder and then whoever buys them get do what they want to recoup their investment.

I understand that the Olympics is different and the IOC insists it must be "free-to-air".

The Olympic coverage on Thai free to air channels has in the past been absolutely useless except for sports where the Thais have a chance of being competitive. And that means they don't show very much at all. Expect to see weightlifting, boxing and volleyball and not a lot else.

Happy customer,

Kantharalak

I for one think True is overpriced, the Platinum package they advertised is about 3,000 baht if I'm not mistaken.

IMO most of channels are are worthless, and the channels I do watch like History, Nat Geo, Discovery ect., shows programming that are almost 2 years old. ANX for example does air some new series, but about 2-3 months after the US air date.

For comparison, the most expensive package for Directv in the US is $90 and you get twice as many channels with a majority in HD.

I think you are mistaken. I think it is 2,000 baht pcm for Platinum (maybe 3k if choosing full HD package though - dunno).

It's as if they couldn't give a f*** about the little man who just wants to watch some decent football. It's as if they just wanna make money and they don't care how. Oh, wait a minute. This is standard business practice in Thailand. It happens in the west, too? Well at least in the west they don't tell me we're all brothers and sisters who love each other.

laugh.pngclap2.gif

It's as if they couldn't give a f*** about the little man who just wants to watch some decent football. It's as if they just wanna make money and they don't care how. Oh, wait a minute. This is standard business practice in Thailand. It happens in the west, too? Well at least in the west they don't tell me we're all brothers and sisters who love each other.

I get the decent football every week on the Australia Network, soccer doesn't interest me so ha hathumbsup.gif just kidding, oh off the watch real football now.

you mean the football that interests a few million ossies ? bit like the NFL ,.........Who cares apart from aussies n' yanks ..............netball is played by more people than aussie rules and thats cr*p too ! laugh.png

No real surprise to anyone who has had to put up with UBC/True Visions antics over the years to see them messing their customers around yet again whether it's down to greed or ineptitude or both.

So do you think True should provide a free service and just cover programmes you're interested in?

The selling and buying of sports broadcasting rights is a greedy business. Blame the capitalist sytem or UEFA, but it's hardly True's or Grammy's fault.

similar situation happened in the UK few years back ,.... english rugby {RFU} signed a deal with SKY TV to have exclusive rights to all the 5/6 nations matches at twickenham , and saying they were thinking of leaving the six nations as it was not a strong enough competition and they should be playing the aussies and NZ not the european competition & making it impossible for anyone to see without paying for sky TV , ...........the other european nations demanded a fair share of the money or they would kick the english out of the six nations ,....... a deal was done and the english only benifited a small amount,,..........that year i think they ended up 3rd or 4th and that whole episode brought them crashing back down to earth and realise they are no better than france,ireland or wales ,just becouse they have a bigger player base ...........a good lesson in humility !

Just so you know, the 4 games so far have been dramatic and compelling viewing coffee1.gif

the england v france game was awful !, watching paint dry comes to mind , russia/spain/germany ............out of them 3 for me .

Edited by osiboy
  • Like 1