How To Put The Djinn Back In The Bottle?

necronx99

Don't do anything, and when questioned about it, act a bit surprised and tell them you thought they were gifts.

LOL I like your sense of humor Thaddeus ...you crack me uplaugh.png

If I can make one person smile in a day, it's been a good day.

One experience I had a few years ago, when Chez Thad was almost complete all the contents started to be delivered, sofa, dining room table and chairs, beds, wardrobes, kitchen stuff, the usual and ..... dan dan dahhhh ... the 5.1 surround sound home cinema system.

Now I don't get involved with flat pack furniture if I can help it, I've bought things from Ikea and B&Q before so I know the score, it isn't difficult, but you get blisters, so if some one else wants to do it for you, then that is Ok.

But when my wife (ex) said to me, pointing at the 5.1 surround sound home cinema system, "Man make house said he make that work for you" ... something inside me went 'what!'

I probably spent more time removing the excessive amounts of sellotape used on the boxes, than the time it took to plug it all together.

At the time, it wasn't the lack of applause that surprised me, it was the looks of disbelief.... 'he knows how to do that?'

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Thaddeus,

I know that feeling. When the many-boxed home entertainment system arrived I opened them and stared in horror at the miles and miles of cables, plugs, jacks, etc.. and knew I wouldn't have the patience to connect it all together.

So I handed the instruction manuals and wiring diagrams to my GF and went down the local. It took her the better part of the afternoon but she did a grand job...

..and the DVD player makes excellent toast.rolleyes.gif

we bought a welder as when we were doing the terraces there were a lot of roof trusses to mess with...my wife looks after it and since I've been at home it comes and it goes from the garage (borrowed by family and associates) where there is a huge assortment of non-operational junk that the wife refuses to get rid of...scrap metal and etc...

and, I've thought about being artistic with welded sculptures and the assortment of junk but everytime that I want to pursue my muse the welder was gone...'darling? darling?...'

and then here is tutsi using the welder to assemble a splendid metal sculpture that is all sharp edges and potentially lethal...and then here comes 'Bubba' the BiL's 2 year old toddler and he wants to destroy or get severely injured in the process...

can't win fer losin' sad.png

Edited by tutsiwarrior

@ Thaddeus,

I know that feeling. When the many-boxed home entertainment system arrived I opened them and stared in horror at the miles and miles of cables, plugs, jacks, etc.. and knew I wouldn't have the patience to connect it all together.

So I handed the instruction manuals and wiring diagrams to my GF and went down the local. It took her the better part of the afternoon but she did a grand job...

..and the DVD player makes excellent toast.rolleyes.gif

I've never been able to get the DVD player working. Its a cracking Morphy - Richards twin - disk vertical unit; quite small, but I can;t see where to plug the video cables in... Very easy to use, you just pop in one (or two) disks, press down the handle... they always come out warped something dreadful, though, and like I say, I can;'t see how to connect it to the telly...

On a similar vein, whenever I see someone using the shredder at work, I whisper "That's not a fax machine..." and, just for a fleeting moment, panic crosses their face...

SC

• Like 2

1964, and one of my 21st birthday gifts was a two-speed Black & Decker drill. Wherever my tool box went in the world, the drill was in it, ready for use, reliable - almost a friend really.

Fast forward to 1998 and here's Mr Chuan, tasked with building a chicken house for which we used a steel framework, parts of which needed to be bolted, which meant drilling holes. "Chuan, no have drill - borrow can or not?" said he. "Sure", I said, "used one of these before, have you?" Then shrivelled under his withering glance.

About 20 minutes later I'm hearing this weird sound, a bit like my drill, but with a strange, despairing edge to it. Mr Chuan didn't like either of the drill speeds offered and so had set the speed lever between the two. So that screwed the gearbox and that was the end of the Black & Decker and, coincidentally, the last time I loaned a tool to a Thai.

Tool no have? Work no have! Fixed.

Mr Chuan, chapter 2. For the same project, we needed a welding machine, which I bought, complete with a welder's hood mask. Mr Chuan, (an experienced man in the use of tools and equipment), managed to come in the following day but with eyes red and streaming, half blind and complaining of a splitting headache and the feeling of hot sand in his eyes.

"Why didn't you use the mask?" we asked. "Chuan no like - too hot and cannot see" he said.

It would have been about a week before he recovered from his arc eyes.

His wife did use the mask and proved to be a better welder too.

• Like 1

Do it TIT style, return it in worse condition than you received it. Word will get around quick enough. biggrin.png

Right, 3 months ago I told a man (friend of mia noi) to reinstall my pirated Windows XP only, forget abt other programs I’ve downloaded.

The only problem was the mouse was jumping around my PC monitor & slow performance.

My PC came back with: Error some number pop-up on start up, no problem he said to her, just click OK 10 times & my PC will start, & no internet access, no sound, CD drive pops out, clock no working, new office, can’t format my earlier text saved, printer no working, a lot of software installed which I don’t ask for, and so on + can’t shut my PC either. TiT…Never Mind

Is getting the djinn back in the bottle as hard as getting the Tiger back in the can? Maybe easier to get a tiger in a bottle -

Tiger bottle can, Tiger can cannot

as a man in Singapore once told me...

SC

Is getting the djinn back in the bottle as hard as getting the Tiger back in the can? Maybe easier to get a tiger in a bottle -

SC

SC ... I'll get your Coat for you ... whistling.gif

SC

This brings back memories of the drive-in theatres of the old days when JC played fullback for Jerusalem.

As with most (if not all) problems in Thailand, the answer is cricket. As any cricketer knows, everyone has to bat, even if you are more of a bowler. Following recent changes to the laws of cricket, a batsman is not even allowed to have a runner while injured...

Widespread participation in, and appreciation of, cricket will teach the Thai people (among many other societal benefits) that sometimes you need the get padded up, take guard and face the ball, regardless of how big the bowler and scary the bowler may be...

Thailand Needs Cricket... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/554349-thailand-needs-cricket/

• Like 1

As with most (if not all) problems in Thailand, the answer is cricket. As any cricketer knows, everyone has to bat, even if you are more of a bowler. Following recent changes to the laws of cricket, a batsman is not even allowed to have a runner while injured...

Widespread participation in, and appreciation of, cricket will teach the Thai people (among many other societal benefits) that sometimes you need the get padded up, take guard and face the ball, regardless of how big the bowler and scary the bowler may be...

Thailand Needs Cricket... http://www.thaivisa....-needs-cricket/

get outta here! Thailand needs cricket like a hole in the head and I quit looking at that stupid thread as the English, trying to be clever with their stupid, silly humor, just make fools of themselves...

I've been at bat facing pitchers with high speed fastballs all my life an' I don't need no advice in that regard...just head out to the mound with your bat when they mess with you and spit tobacco juice and say: 'what you tryin' to do, asshol_e?...' fergit the stinkin' tea and cucumber sandwiches...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

get outta here! Thailand needs cricket like a hole in the head and I quit looking at that stupid thread as the English, trying to be clever with their stupid, silly humor, just make fools of themselves...

I've been at bat facing pitchers with high speed fastballs all my life an' I don't need no advice in that regard...just head out to the mound with your bat when they mess with you and spit tobacco juice and say: 'what you tryin' to do, asshol_e?...' fergit the stinkin' tea and cucumber sandwiches...

We have missed you on the cricket thread and would happily welcome you back to the crease (with a tea and some cucumber sandwiches) at any time... however, I must clarify that most of the (funny) humour on that thread is actually emanating from our cricket-loving TV members in Australia... a nation that is a shining example of the wonders that cricket can engender upon a society...

Here's a Yank put his foot right in it.

Note however he apologizes to the gays, not the cricketers 8-)

We have missed you on the cricket thread and would happily welcome you back to the crease (with a tea and some cucumber sandwiches) at any time... however, I must clarify that most of the (funny) humour on that thread is actually emanating from our cricket-loving TV members in Australia... a nation that is a shining example of the wonders that cricket can engender upon a society...

Australia? they're a bunch of exiled felons fer christsakes! but from the pictures I've seen they got some nice surf...

and I withdraw my criticism in the face of good manners and cricket fairness and gentility and I will be back on the crease soon...regards...

(and then here's tutsi: 'I'll have some of them cucumber sandwiches, babe...' and then she sez: 'tutsi, please keep yer hands away from my underwear as you disrespect cricket traditions of propriety and forbearance when presented with a nice ass...')

SC

This brings back memories of the drive-in theatres of the old days when JC played fullback for Jerusalem.

I was under the impression that JC played in goal. He had a good PR man who posted up placards saying that 'JC saves'. They became targets for the grafitti merchants who added ' but St. John scored on the rebound' or 'the three wise men invested'.

+1.....thumbsup.gif

Edited by kevjohn

This only reinforces the view that the US needs cricket too. It might inject something intangible called class into the US psyche. On second thoughts maybe not. The antics of the loud mouths attending US golf tournaments wouldn't fit in on a cricket ground - not they do on golf courses.

This only reinforces the view that the US needs cricket too. It might inject something intangible called class into the US psyche. On second thoughts maybe not. The antics of the loud mouths attending US golf tournaments wouldn't fit in on a cricket ground - not they do on golf courses.

hey, man...no one ever implied that baseball has class...it's just popular entertainment...and completely without pretentions...('hey! gimme some peanuts over here!')

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

Shameless thread jacking going on here, it's just not cricket.

You'll need to go back to basics.

Look at it from a different perspective to see the state of origin of the problem.

SC

Like playing shinty with a Hurley club...just not on.

• Like 1

Shameless thread jacking going on here, it's just not cricket.

You'll need to go back to basics.

Look at it from a different perspective to see the state of origin of the problem.

SC

Like playing shinty with a Hurley club...just not on.

This Saturday sees the climax of the sporting year as Lochaber meet Newtonmore in Inverness...

You'll need to check the TV listings to see what channel it will be on

SC

It just so happens I bought my kit bag with me which includes my new kookaburra bat, no way im letting them near that, they would end up using it to make som tum.

There's an idea . Somtam thingys fashioned into little cricket bats .

• Like 2

> How do I stop this?

Tell them you'll be happy to fix their stuff if they just learn to play cricket with you.

You'll most likely never see them again lucky fella.

...maybe true but only until 2042 (at the latest) by when, as discussed back on the main thread, all of Thailand will be fixated by cricket (and fixed by cricket)... then they will be back with big cheeky grins, holding their bats and balls (no childish sexual innuendo intended, maybe)...

Irony. Along with sarcasm, the basis of English humour. Totally lost on most of our American chums. Saying '...NOT!' is not sarcasm.

Serious note? Fix the bike it maybe ridden by a child and the power boards as you may save someone from a shock and say that the electronic stuff is beyond you. Help the community , save face.

Edited by VocalNeal