Quality Budget Disposable Razors + Anti-Perspirant That Works

freedomnow

for an anti-perspirant, I use Nivea for men ( buy in 7-11) the roll-on stick ! For a good razor, I had to search further. I used to bring Wilkinson 3-blades ( by far the best, and probably all Gilette 3-blades, too) into the country in my lugagge, but as I assume you are an expat, this would not work for you.

What I do with my razors, after finished shaving, use an old toothbrush and clean the space between the blades under running water, then slam the grip onto the edge of the basin several times with the razor blades facing downward - this will propel all hair residues out from underneath the blades, where they otherwise keep sticking and become hard lumps. They shorten the life span of a blade quickly ! Make sure you keep the blades clean after each shave, and you will find out that the lifespan of the blades will increase a lot. Watch from time to time if the blades do not carry rust on them. Catching Tetanus from a rusty blade cut through your chin ain't a good idea to hit the bucket with . . .

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP here- so I went for the Nivea Silver antibacterial anti-perspirant roll-on...works a treat,no odour or wet patch anymore 100%....SURE 48 hours should have been re-named NotsoSURE 48 seconds.....totally crap and now in the bin.

Razors -went for the Gillette Vectors and they are fine, as is the price. Gillette Mach 3 pricing just got disgusting....

THANKS.

Too bad the Nivea Silver did not work for you. Works like a charm for me even when I ride my bicycle for 50-60kms.

strange the NIVEA Stick did not work for you ! On me it works like a dream and I am a glibber-hung guy who tends to sweat a lot whenever motion is involved here in the tropics.

Maybe you forgot to hold it with the roll facing downward, otherwise there won't be any fluid leaving the bottle.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading about Gillette Vector in this thread I thought I'd try them out. I've been using Mach 3 Turbo for years so was pretty disappointed with the Vector as not as close a shave and lots of cuts too but found a great alternative to the Mach 3 while shopping at Tops at the weekend. Tops have their own brand Triple razors (Made in USA) which are 99baht for four compared to 3-400baht for four Mach 3 and they are as good, if not better, than the Gillette.

I use the BiC 3 blade razors in the orange pack. 69 baht for 4 blades, last a week, and give a great save. From Big C. I wouldn't pay anymore.

I use them too, but the blades usually last at least 20 days....

After reading about Gillette Vector in this thread I thought I'd try them out. I've been using Mach 3 Turbo for years so was pretty disappointed with the Vector as not as close a shave and lots of cuts too but found a great alternative to the Mach 3 while shopping at Tops at the weekend. Tops have their own brand Triple razors (Made in USA) which are 99baht for four compared to 3-400baht for four Mach 3 and they are as good, if not better, than the Gillette.

guess who is producing them for tops????

Don't listen to these brainwashed (such is modern marketing) wimps. Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

Buy a traditional double edge safety razor. Sometimes a larger Boots will have them or a local market. Also some supermarkets have the plastic version, Gillette Clic, which lasts for awhile but is quite mild. If you can't find one it's worth importing.

Then buy a box of 100 Astra (or other) double edge blades at a beauty supply shop for B150. Assuming you get 4 shaves per blade, now you're shaving for 11 baht/mo, excluding soap/cream.

Ideally you'd have a badger brush and proper shaving soap. You'd have to import the brush. But you can improvise: Thai beauty supply shops & other outlets sell a crappy little brush of the sort used at Thai barber shops. Crabtree & Evelyn at Emporium sells high-end cream & soap; The Body Shop sells a high-end soap. Otherwise, it's Dove or Imperial Leather and a drop of shampoo, or body lotion.

Go to the badgerandblade(dot)com forums for a wealth of advice about all aspects of wetshaving. (What a civilized international forum, totally unlike here.)

As for deo, just make your own from a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch. Start w/ 50/50 and then try 70/30. Google and verify. Been using it for several years now, works great. Can apply to underarms w/ a small brush--pick up lady's makeup brush ("kabuki brush") at a local market.

Christ, you must be a ''really'' old guy.

Alternatively the gentleman might be a young avid reader of publications like this: http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/about

Edited by Morakot

Notice Schick Quattro razers/blades on sale in Big C and Lotus last week for what seems a reasonable price. Not sure how they work as have never used but might be an alternative at higher end.

Quattro? Not while the fine dystopian Schick Krona is a steal on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/...krona&_osacat=0

Edited by JSixpack

Don't listen to these brainwashed (such is modern marketing) wimps. Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

Buy a traditional double edge safety razor. Sometimes a larger Boots will have them or a local market. Also some supermarkets have the plastic version, Gillette Clic, which lasts for awhile but is quite mild. If you can't find one it's worth importing.

Then buy a box of 100 Astra (or other) double edge blades at a beauty supply shop for B150. Assuming you get 4 shaves per blade, now you're shaving for 11 baht/mo, excluding soap/cream.

Ideally you'd have a badger brush and proper shaving soap. You'd have to import the brush. But you can improvise: Thai beauty supply shops & other outlets sell a crappy little brush of the sort used at Thai barber shops. Crabtree & Evelyn at Emporium sells high-end cream & soap; The Body Shop sells a high-end soap. Otherwise, it's Dove or Imperial Leather and a drop of shampoo, or body lotion.

Go to the badgerandblade(dot)com forums for a wealth of advice about all aspects of wetshaving. (What a civilized international forum, totally unlike here.)

As for deo, just make your own from a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch. Start w/ 50/50 and then try 70/30. Google and verify. Been using it for several years now, works great. Can apply to underarms w/ a small brush--pick up lady's makeup brush ("kabuki brush") at a local market.

Alternatively the gentleman might be a young avid reader of publications like this: http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/about

Never heard of it. Nor do I hang out at http://www.kidzworld.com w/ transam and some of our other members. The best known of the wetshaving forums, badgerandblade(dot)com, counts young professionals as the largest proportion among its 50,000 members, including a gaggle of college students.

However, it does take a degree of open-mindedness to throw off the effects of the brainwashing promulgated by marketers. Ironically I only got back into using a DE razor after picking one up as curiosity in a local Thai market. Fortunately it wasn't entirely foreign as my dad had used an old Gillette himself. Funny, but on the other forum it's extremely rare to read of anyone giving up and going back to that cartoonish overpriced plastic crap. I never would. Do some reading and thinking and try it.

Never heard of it. Nor do I hang out at http://www.kidzworld.com w/ transam and some of our other members. The best known of the wetshaving forums, badgerandblade(dot)com, counts young professionals as the largest proportion among its 50,000 members, including a gaggle of college students.

However, it does take a degree of open-mindedness to throw off the effects of the brainwashing promulgated by marketers. Ironically I only got back into using a DE razor after picking one up as curiosity in a local Thai market. Fortunately it wasn't entirely foreign as my dad had used an old Gillette himself. Funny, but on the other forum it's extremely rare to read of anyone giving up and going back to that cartoonish overpriced plastic crap. I never would. Do some reading and thinking and try it.

I second that - BadgerandBlade is a great resource, and what I used to pick my current razor (a double edge). Feather blades are cheap here, and a pack should keep one from breaking the bank buying razor cartridges.

I don't like razors. My face is always very bloody when I use them(blood pouring down my face & neck)sad.png . Helps when I let my hair grow a bit but it looks bad. Should I switch to an electric razor? I've never used one in my life.

Edited by meatballs
  • Like 1

I second that - BadgerandBlade is a great resource, and what I used to pick my current razor (a double edge). Feather blades are cheap here, and a pack should keep one from breaking the bank buying razor cartridges.

I third that; shave like a man you big pussies!

I also recently got interested in whether we are being "multi-blade brainwashed" after reading some stuff on the (excellent) badgerandblade website. To me all this multi blade rubbish has a stench of the stupid megapixel camera war (where in reality few people need more than 3 or 4 megapixels). All marketing, with little substance...

Earlier in this thread I described how I preferred the Gillette Blue II disposables. Well, that was the case... I am now shaving properly with a traditional double edged razor (Lord L6 model; aka LP1822L) with Feather brand blades, proper Palmolive face soap stick and a Wilkinson Sword boars hair brush - what a pleasure; instead of a chore...

The excellent Feather blades I can get locally (25 Baht for 5 from a salon supply shop on the outside of the moat opposite Chiang Mai Gate). You can also buy pathetic little shaving brushes from there, but not decent ones; nor can you buy proper shaving soap or the actual metal razors. I did find a few Chinese metal double edged razors at the various markets around Chiang Mai, but they were all awful; actually painful and dangerous! However... I can't recommend highly enough the Lord L6 that I bought from ebay for a few hundred Baht - aah, what a lovely smooth close shave... it comes highly recommended on the badgerandblade forums, as does all of the other things I have bought.

If anyone is thinking of trying this, I highly recommend you buy the same as I bought to start with. It's all reasonably priced, but good. If you use inferior stuff you might believe that double edged razors are painful or no good; you really need a good one, not necessarily expensive, but made correctly!

Here's some links to what I bought as examples (this is not my stuff - I don't sell on ebay; for your info only):

Lord L6 (LP1822L)Razor

Palmolive Soap Sticks (I crushed these into a shaving bowl, to make up the lather properly)

Wilkinson Sword Shaving Brush

Even if you aren't going to "shave like a man" the soap and brush would be a great investment anyway - much better than ANY spray or gel foam.

Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

PS to learn how to shave properly with a proper razor check out some of the "mantic59" videos on Youtube.

• Like 2

The best deodorant I use is a piece of สารส้ม (sorry don't know the English word).

Ask any Thai Mother or Grand Mother and they will agree.

Can be bought at any market for about 20 THB and will last you up to a year or more

259012042007113158.jpg

I think that is Alum which is the antiperspirant used in almost all of the expensive stuff.

I third that; shave like a man you big pussies!

I also recently got interested in whether we are being "multi-blade brainwashed" after reading some stuff on the (excellent) badgerandblade website. To me all this multi blade rubbish has a stench of the stupid megapixel camera war (where in reality few people need more than 3 or 4 megapixels). All marketing, with little substance...

Earlier in this thread I described how I preferred the Gillette Blue II disposables. Well, that was the case... I am now shaving properly with a traditional double edged razor (Lord L6 model; aka LP1822L) with Feather brand blades, proper Palmolive face soap stick and a Wilkinson Sword boars hair brush - what a pleasure; instead of a chore...

The excellent Feather blades I can get locally (25 Baht for 5 from a salon supply shop on the outside of the moat opposite Chiang Mai Gate). You can also buy pathetic little shaving brushes from there, but not decent ones; nor can you buy proper shaving soap or the actual metal razors. I did find a few Chinese metal double edged razors at the various markets around Chiang Mai, but they were all awful; actually painful and dangerous! However... I can't recommend highly enough the Lord L6 that I bought from ebay for a few hundred Baht - aah, what a lovely smooth close shave... it comes highly recommended on the badgerandblade forums, as does all of the other things I have bought.

If anyone is thinking of trying this, I highly recommend you buy the same as I bought to start with. It's all reasonably priced, but good. If you use inferior stuff you might believe that double edged razors are painful or no good; you really need a good one, not necessarily expensive, but made correctly!

Here's some links to what I bought as examples (this is not my stuff - I don't sell on ebay; for your info only):

Lord L6 (LP1822L)Razor

Palmolive Soap Sticks (I crushed these into a shaving bowl, to make up the lather properly)

Wilkinson Sword Shaving Brush

Even if you aren't going to "shave like a man" the soap and brush would be a great investment anyway - much better than ANY spray or gel foam.

Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

PS to learn how to shave properly with a proper razor check out some of the "mantic59" videos on Youtube.

How gratifying that another of our members has managed to crawl out of the fog and into the light of traditional shaving like a Real Man®! Congrats! I hope my post helped inspire this happy transformation.

Pay attention, guys: JimShortz did it; verified it; ain't goin' back.

Excellent choice of budget tools. As you note, it's SO nice to get away from that silly shaving goo in cans, too. You skeptics might read the discussion here: http://badgerandblad...d-cream-or-foam and then you'll at least be somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. All your brainwashed and trollish objections are aired and discussed.

I might only observe that you can cut your soap cost by half to a third by buying a 1kg block of Cella or Vitos. Both get much love at badgerandblade. I intend to do the same when I use up my excessive supply of various soaps & creams I brought back from the US. When The Body Shop changed their high-end cream, they put their old one on sale cheap, and I really stocked up. Fantastic stuff. Anyway:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6524897f

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6c44b6a4

As this topic is of recurring interest on the forum, most posters stuck on the Quattro or Fusion hamster wheel, it's worth trying to help even though it exposes one to the usual trolling and sneering, esp by the Brits (oblivious to the irony, given the great tradition and world class shaving products of Britain). Such is this forum, however; I do like to throw in a few wind-ups for extra fun.

I don't like razors. My face is always very bloody when I use them(blood pouring down my face & neck)sad.png . Helps when I let my hair grow a bit but it looks bad. Should I switch to an electric razor? I've never used one in my life.

Did your dad miss to give you a proper introduction into men's grooming? smile.png Don't worry, it's 2012. There is nothing the internet can't fix! Look here:

Well, before more members get too enlightened.....tongue.png

i think the concept gets a run around the block every few years on TV. Due to feeling I could have a more "authentic" shave by going back to the brush, I gave it a go.

Sourced the Indian Old Spice(Lime) at Best and bought the more expensive of the 2 options for brushes(Bt.127 or so). whistling.gif

Bottom line? If you have plenty of time to get the lather just right (it never is as perfect as a good canned foam) then all you've done is take a 4-5 minute job and turn it into a 10 minute job.

I use Schick 3-blade disposables. I have at present King of Shaves liquid shaving gel, Boots No. 7 for men liquid shaving gel, Boots solid shaving gel, Barbasol foam and Gillette foam.

I like the Gillette best. Barbershop scent. Just press the button. Done. The gels are messy, like the homemade stuff.

Bottom line? If you have plenty of time to get the lather just right (it never is as perfect as a good canned foam) then all you've done is take a 4-5 minute job and turn it into a 10 minute job.

No. You spent an absurd amount of time trying to make that lather. Your brush was crap, couldn't expect too much. Obviously, you didn't know what you were doing and didn't bother to learn. Youtube has numerous tutorials on the subject.

If the canned foam were better, I'd certainly go back to it. It isn't, and most who've seriously tried both would agree. Besides, some do enjoy the ritual, developing a small traditional skill, and taking an extra minute or two.

I seriously doubt your time is THAT valuable.

Again, anyone interested in this particular subject should read the informative discussion here: http://badgerandblad...d-cream-or-foam

No. You spent an absurd amount of time trying to make that lather. Your brush was crap, couldn't expect too much. Obviously, you didn't know what you were doing and didn't bother to learn. Youtube has numerous tutorials on the subject.

If the canned foam were better, I'd certainly go back to it. It isn't, and most who've seriously tried both would agree. Besides, some do enjoy the ritual, developing a small traditional skill, and taking an extra minute or two.

Again, anyone interested in this particular subject should read the informative discussion here: http://badgerandblad...d-cream-or-foam

Au contraire, mon ami!

I did the youtube thing.

Warm the brush.A good bowl for whipping up the lather. But you have to get the right amount of soap, the right amount of water.

This method predates modern technology. Foam has been perfected (better by some manufacturers than others) Do you think Gillette just "wings it"?

just wanted to add...

I was open to the concept.....

The Chinese brushes are boar bristle yes but perfectly adequate. (There aren't enough badgers for all of us!)

5 minutes a day extra times 365 = 30.4 hours a year...tongue.png

I just picked up a box of 4 of the 5-blade watson brand blades for 130thb. That seems like a great price. Not sure how long the promo will last. I should have probably grabbed another box or 2.

I just picked up a box of 4 of the 5-blade watson brand blades for 130thb. That seems like a great price. Not sure how long the promo will last. I should have probably grabbed another box or 2.

Only five blades! Did they not have any 6 or 7 blade cartridges? Five blades only shaves to -1 nanofructametre, with more blades you can become a truly subcutaneous suprananofructametre shaver... cheesy.gif

PS Thank you JSixpack for setting me off on the true path of righteousness and allowing me to swerve away from the bullshitosphere of multi nano f®ucta blades...

cheesy.gifwub.pngcheesy.gifwub.pngcheesy.gifwub.pnggiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

just wanted to add...

I was open to the concept.....

The Chinese brushes are boar bristle yes but perfectly adequate. (There aren't enough badgers for all of us!)

5 minutes a day extra times 365 = 30.4 hours a year...tongue.png

Jeez... try spending an extra five minutes a day with the missus. Just because you spend an extra 5 minutes doing something doesn't mean the time is wasted...

Only five blades! Did they not have any 6 or 7 blade cartridges? Five blades only shaves to -1 nanofructametre, with more blades you can become a truly subcutaneous suprananofructametre shaver... cheesy.gif

PS Thank you JSixpack for setting me off on the true path of righteousness and allowing me to swerve away from the bullshitosphere of multi nano f®ucta blades...

cheesy.gifwub.pngcheesy.gifwub.pngcheesy.gifwub.pnggiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

hey mate, you can shave with a butter knife for all I care... but for those that are interested.. the price on these 5 blade 4 packs from watsons is super cheap.

Edited by Jayman

hey mate, you can shave with a butter knife for all I care... but for those that are interested.. the price on these 5 blade 4 packs from watsons is super cheap.

My apologies... they certainly are cheap for a cartridge razor.

So, are they any good? as good as the major brands?

My apologies... they certainly are cheap for a cartridge razor.

So, are they any good? as good as the major brands?

I think they are as good. They are OEM and made in the USA. I only recently heard about them from this thread actually so that is why I came back to post they are on sale.

Also, thanks for your good info on DE shaving. I have been wanting to switch for years and I think you finally pushed me over. I have made arrangements with sellers on ebay for a handle with blades, a brush, and some soap (all from your recommendation actually :) ) I have also started reading through the wiki at B&B.

Personally I have been growing out a beard for the past few months so only use a blade on my neck line but I have a feeling that I'll be back to full shave before the end of the year.

• Like 1

thanks for the link.

I found this image in the thread that pretty much sums up my reaction to your shaving evangelism.

OSaero245a.jpg