Quality Budget Disposable Razors + Anti-Perspirant That Works

freedomnow

I used Gillette Mach brand for long enough but the price is just too high so I switched to Dorko disposables and they were great until suddenly the quality disappeared overnight....these razors just seemed to go on and on before but then suddenly they barely lasted a day or a week.

Can any of you suggest a good disposable razor from Tesco etc ?

I just refuse to shell out for Gillette Mach stuff anymore as they also seemed to not last very long.

I also had a sample of the new Gillette arctic ice anti-perspirant spray which actually worked for me despite endlessly trying brand after brand....cannot seemt to find it here......The waxy roll-ons seem to just destroy my t-shirts underarm. Any sweaty monsters out there found a quality anti-perspirant in Thailand that works (not deodorant).

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I buy Venture brand disposable razors from 7 eleven, very good quality and last a long time. I think about 45 baht for two. Also bought a deodorant stick from 7 eleven that I use every day and is nearly 2 years old. I think the english name is Grace but it has what looks like NSB in Thai letters across the top. You wet the stick before you use it, it's the only deodorant I've tried that doesn't cause my armpits to itch. Also very cheap.

Edited by giddyup

The orange Gillette razors that come in the pack of 2 for about 50 baht from Tesco are honestly just as good as the mach 3. I found it difficult to find the Mach 3 in the area I used to live, so I started using these. I find the rigid neck of these razors better for trimming/shaping up sideburns, etc.

Great will try a few of these blades....the mache stuff just got obscene in the pricing.....yes I know of these roll-on Thai sticks but they are deodorant only not anti-perspirant.

The Gillette spray-on arctic ice stuff anti-persp. was brilliant...got it free in London in one of the train stations before coming over.

Great will try a few of these blades....the mache stuff just got obscene in the pricing.....yes I know of these roll-on Thai sticks but they are deodorant only not anti-perspirant.

The Gillette spray-on arctic ice stuff anti-persp. was brilliant...got it free in London in one of the train stations before coming over.

I can never find anti-persperant. Been using 7-11 roll-on and slapping on some baby powder after. Seems to work just as well.

Any Gillette or Wilkinson will do. You can also sharpen your razor on a piece of jeans. Works well.

I've seen the wife sharpen a knife on the edge of one of those clay somtum pounding bowls. Razors might work on them too.

Grace crystal is good and probably the cheapest/most effective solution possible.

However, I have sensitive skin and and find it is better to not have to roll on anything.

So I found this new product to me: FOCAL, Natural 24-hour protection, extra skin care, non-aerosol SPRAY ON.

They call it a deodorant but it is really an anti-perspirant. It works amazingly well. 90 baht per bottle and yes it will cost more than Grace stick which can last a year or more. Sold at Villa and other places I'm sure.

From their label: This product contains mineral salts that help reduce perspiration and inhibit bacterial growth ...

It is fragrance free and yes the extra cost is worth it to me. The active ingredient is ammonium alum. They also sell a stick version, but if I wanted a stick, I'd buy a Grace stick.

Edited by Jingthing

Don't listen to these brainwashed (such is modern marketing) wimps. Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

Buy a traditional double edge safety razor. Sometimes a larger Boots will have them or a local market. Also some supermarkets have the plastic version, Gillette Clic, which lasts for awhile but is quite mild. If you can't find one it's worth importing.

Then buy a box of 100 Astra (or other) double edge blades at a beauty supply shop for B150. Assuming you get 4 shaves per blade, now you're shaving for 11 baht/mo, excluding soap/cream.

Ideally you'd have a badger brush and proper shaving soap. You'd have to import the brush. But you can improvise: Thai beauty supply shops & other outlets sell a crappy little brush of the sort used at Thai barber shops. Crabtree & Evelyn at Emporium sells high-end cream & soap; The Body Shop sells a high-end soap. Otherwise, it's Dove or Imperial Leather and a drop of shampoo, or body lotion.

Go to the badgerandblade(dot)com forums for a wealth of advice about all aspects of wetshaving. (What a civilized international forum, totally unlike here.)

As for deo, just make your own from a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch. Start w/ 50/50 and then try 70/30. Google and verify. Been using it for several years now, works great. Can apply to underarms w/ a small brush--pick up lady's makeup brush ("kabuki brush") at a local market.

• Like 1

Don't listen to these brainwashed (such is modern marketing) wimps. Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

Buy a traditional double edge safety razor. Sometimes a larger Boots will have them or a local market. Also some supermarkets have the plastic version, Gillette Clic, which lasts for awhile but is quite mild. If you can't find one it's worth importing.

Then buy a box of 100 Astra (or other) double edge blades at a beauty supply shop for B150. Assuming you get 4 shaves per blade, now you're shaving for 11 baht/mo, excluding soap/cream.

Ideally you'd have a badger brush and proper shaving soap. You'd have to import the brush. But you can improvise: Thai beauty supply shops & other outlets sell a crappy little brush of the sort used at Thai barber shops. Crabtree & Evelyn at Emporium sells high-end cream & soap; The Body Shop sells a high-end soap. Otherwise, it's Dove or Imperial Leather and a drop of shampoo, or body lotion.

Go to the badgerandblade(dot)com forums for a wealth of advice about all aspects of wetshaving. (What a civilized international forum, totally unlike here.)

As for deo, just make your own from a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch. Start w/ 50/50 and then try 70/30. Google and verify. Been using it for several years now, works great. Can apply to underarms w/ a small brush--pick up lady's makeup brush ("kabuki brush") at a local market.

Christ, you must be a ''really'' old guy. I bow to your wisdom. rolleyes.giflaugh.png

Crocodile Dundee .....

Crocodile Dundee .....

Or just likes the ingredient's of an apple pie in his arm pits eh. bah.gif

A Grace crystal stick would be even cheaper and it works great. About 60 baht, could last a year. Why bother making anything and your paste sounds messy in comparison.

The orange Gillette razors that come in the pack of 2 for about 50 baht from Tesco are honestly just as good as the mach 3. I found it difficult to find the Mach 3 in the area I used to live, so I started using these. I find the rigid neck of these razors better for trimming/shaping up sideburns, etc.

Obviously you missed the Tesco brand razors. A 3-pack for 13 baht is a steal and you can use them at least 3 times before they are done. smile.png

A Grace crystal stick would be even cheaper and it works great. About 60 baht, could last a year. Why bother making anything and your paste sounds messy in comparison.

I'd recommend everyone try the crystal, great deal; however I did and it didn't work well for me. Guess I needed something that'll work for refrigerators, carpets, toilets, etc. smile.png

Cost is comparable. BTW, whatever you use, helps to spray your underarms w/ rubbing alcohol too as prep, let dry a bit while you shave or brush your teeth.

i really dont get it. yes they are expensive, but i use mach 3 blades and shave every day, and i have a very thick beard.

The blades last 2 to 3 months so i get a minimum of 6 months from a pack of 4.

anything else i have to relpace every 2-3 weeks, if not moree frequently.

so it is a hassle as well as a false economy

The best deodorant I use is a piece of สารส้ม (sorry don't know the English word).

Ask any Thai Mother or Grand Mother and they will agree.

Can be bought at any market for about 20 THB and will last you up to a year or more

259012042007113158.jpg

Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

A real man would be dry shaving with a straight razor...double edge safety razors.....badger brush and proper shaving soap.....you big girl...what you shave your legs with ?

A real man would dry shave with a hunting knife and splash some SamSong on his face afterwords!

A real man would just peel the skin from his face. dab with salt daily until the skin grew back. then repeat.

Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

A real man would be dry shaving with a straight razor...double edge safety razors.....badger brush and proper shaving soap.....you big girl...what you shave your legs with ?

No, that's the real Neanderthal. Thought about that but the cost of a good straight razor is 'way beyond my budget, it needs stropping (which I'd be too lazy to do), and shaving with it requires too much care and patience. If you're interested, though, the Art of Manliness site has a good tutorial: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/06/how-to-straight-razor-shave/. The definitive modern guide is by Christopher Moss: http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/The-Straight-Razor-Shave.pdf

But mainly I just have an irrational bias against having a straight razor and a Thai woman in the same residence. You gotta sleep sometime, just no way around it. And you wanna be sure to wake up intact. smile.png

Sorry if you got a lil' embarrassed, there, pal. Keep on w/ that plastic crap & try not to fixate on my hairy legs.

Real men don't shave. And about deodorants, what are they? Some of you 'men' out there have really been brinwashed by all the ads you see everywhere. Seriously, get a grip of yourselves. closedeyes.gif

I am guided by my wive(s) nose apparatus. smile.png