Quality Budget Disposable Razors + Anti-Perspirant That Works

freedomnow

The best deodorant I use is a piece of สารส้ม (sorry don't know the English word).

Ask any Thai Mother or Grand Mother and they will agree.

Can be bought at any market for about 20 THB and will last you up to a year or more

259012042007113158.jpg

I reckon it's the same crystal stuff that's in the Grace sticks. You wet first, then apply.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best deodorant I use is a piece of สารส้ม (sorry don't know the English word).

Can be bought at any market for about 20 THB and will last you up to a year or more

259012042007113158.jpg

I reckon it's the same crystal stuff that's in the Grace sticks. You wet first, then apply.

Yes wet first. that's the one, but I don't have no clue about the English name, but just a warning, as the only problem with the rocks that they sell at the markets is that they can have some sharp edges, so just be careful on first usage wink.png

Edited by MJCM

The crystal thing is called Alum.

I only recently started making my own deoderant.

I use a mix of water, baking soda and a tiny bit of after shave..

I spary it on in the morning and it lasts most of the day.

I was sick of clothing being damaged from deoderant.

Plus who knows the possible health issues with long term use of deoderants?

Real men don't shave. And about deodorants, what are they? Some of you 'men' out there have really been brinwashed by all the ads you see everywhere. Seriously, get a grip of yourselves. closedeyes.gif

I am guided by my wive(s) nose apparatus. smile.png

Hence the critical importance of this issue!

I started paying more attn to the matter after I moved here; before, it was 'bout like your typical clueless farang. Smell good and you get better response and cooperation from Thais. They're quite sensitive about smells and body odor in particular.

• Like 1

259012042007113158.jpg

One other helpful side effect of this stuff is that when you cut your self while shaving, this stuff will also help stop the bleeding !

Edited by MJCM

259012042007113158.jpg

One other helpful side effect of this stuff is that when you cut your self while shaving, this stuff will also help stop the bleeding !

Excellent point!

Why is it ok to cut costs on products like this,yet some on here call a guy a cheap charlie if he sits at a moma and popa shop and have a drink,or even enjoy a sangsom/soda/lipo in a bar????

I have said this over and over and over again. Thais are totally ok with businesses being very frugal and pretty much <deleted> them over. They are not ok with that same behavior when it comes to individuals -- they see it as sticky or whatever, in a very derogatory way.

The difference between deodorant and anti-perspirant is you don't look like you have have a cascading waterfall under your arms hence I need to anti-perspirant as all these uni chix are too much for me....

A v-neck undershirt is very helpful for absorbing the waterfall. No anti-perspirant works well enough here to make much difference. If I have to travel to a business meeting in this hot climate, I'll sometimes bring along an extra and change undershirts just before the meeting.

The old two-blade swivel head, clone blades not too pricey at Tesco.

Ban.

Cheap indeed - but I found them to be awful; much worse than Gillette Vector, but only a little cheaper. Not good value for me - and painful!

What I don't understand is why the Gillette Blue II disposables are so much better than the vector heads (also Gillette and 2 blades). I feel forced into throwing extra plastic away to get a comfortable shave...

Shave like a Real Man® for next to nothing.

A real man would be dry shaving with a straight razor...double edge safety razors.....badger brush and proper shaving soap.....you big girl...what you shave your legs with ?

A real man would dry shave with a hunting knife and splash some SamSong on his face afterwords!

A real man doesn't need to splash with Samsong, because it is already leaking out of his pores

If you have a significant underarm sweat issue then regular anti-perspirant doesn't help much. You would do well to get hold of a bottle or two of Driclor (although you can't buy it in Thailand). This can be used to really stop you sweating from places that cause you embarrassment and discomfort.

At first you apply it every evening in your air-con room after you have stopped sweating too much. You will see a reduction in sweating after a few days, and very little at all after a week. From this point you can apply it less and less frequently. I now use it perhaps a few times a year - it seems to re-educate your body to shift the sweating elsewhere... It has been a great thing for me.

See: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/skin-and-hair/medicines/driclor.html You can also buy it on-line from Amazon, if you can't get someone to bring you a bottle from abroad.

I know of nothing else that works like this. Enjoy life without sweaty pits!

ive been using vector,razor blades for a good few years now,pack of 4 seems to last for months,and i shave every day.

I also use the vectors, good value for the money compared to the other ones, unless they give u some sort of magic shave, haven't tried them yet....

From the comments, I can assume that you guys have never had the need to shave a cat.

I always order my cats pre-shaved. rolleyes.gif

Now you are just showing off, but that would be a great time saver.

There's also the DIY sort of cat which is my current favourite... saves time and money. I honestly can't be arsed with that degree of foreplay animal husbandry any more and it gives time for the dick hardener to kick in.

Back on topic; 7-eleven used to stock a Wilkinson disposable twin-blade but it went off the shelves about two years ago. It was the same as the Schick disposable twin-blade that I used in the US (Schick bought Wilkinson... or vice versa) and the blades were really keen. I find most other disposable tend to pull so shaving is akin to plucking. The Wilkinson's are still available in KL so I would stock up down there but more recently, I have seen them somewhere in Thailand again (but NOT at 7-eleven). If I remember, I will post.

Meanwhile.... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty....'

I find it hard to believe that I can buy a potato knife with a 25 year guarantee to the original owner yet I cannot find something that will shave my fizzog for more than a week...

Edited by evadgib

259012042007113158.jpg

Yes wet first. that's the one, but I don't have no clue about the English name, but just a warning, as the only problem with the rocks that they sell at the markets is that they can have some sharp edges, so just be careful on first usage wink.png

I've used this alum crystal for years. You can deal with the sharp edges with either a file or sand paper then running the crystal under the tap for a minute or two whilst rubbing the crystal in your hands. After that, it's smooth as silk.

I believe a lot of the anti-perspirants use this crystal, ground up, as a base. I've also seen these crystals for sale in up-market shops in velvet bags, at prices you would not believe.

It's also a flocculant which a lot of up-country Thais use for clearing the rain water in those big water jars. Works well, but if over-used adds a bit of astringency to the water when you drink it.

I've used this alum crystal for years. You can deal with the sharp edges with either a file or sand paper then running the crystal under the tap for a minute or two whilst rubbing the crystal in your hands. After that, it's smooth as silk.

I believe a lot of the anti-perspirants use this crystal, ground up, as a base. I've also seen these crystals for sale in up-market shops in velvet bags, at prices you would not believe.

It's also a flocculant which a lot of up-country Thais use for clearing the rain water in those big water jars. Works well, but if over-used adds a bit of astringency to the water when you drink it.

But for those of us that really sweat, and really stink when we do, is it really as effective in the natural form as the better commercial products?

Sorry to post again so soon - but feel compelled to help the "super sweaties" out there, since it really is debilitatingly embarassing...

Read the Amazon customer reviews of using Driclor here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0015X83SM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I must say that their talk of pain doesn't fit with my experience (a little tingling on occasion!) - but perhaps I just wasn't sweaty enough when I discovered my armpit (and forehead) saviour! Nevertheless, a revelation for me in joining the "no sweat rings" crew...

wai.gif

For anti-perspirant I tried Nivea For Men, Silver Protect. The label says anti-bacterial protection. Silver ions. I picked it up at 7-11.

The stuff works pretty well for me.

I 2nd this.. can be found for like 85thb in just about any thai store. They sell a smaller one for cheaper at most of the 7/11.

I like the watson branded razors. They have 5 blades and are like 50thb per cartridge (sold in box of 4)