Quality Budget Disposable Razors + Anti-Perspirant That Works

freedomnow

my contribution to this thread's question is that the Schick razors with twin-blade heads are good value at around 60 baht for one shaft and 3 heads. They have this 'gimmick' that actually works - a white insert that you push and cleans the hair from between the blades.

For what it's worth (ie. nothing) I am fascinated by those who have ritualized shaving into an art form but those $300 straight razors you can buy with a fixed steel blade that requires sharpening just puzzle me - why would you spend more money on something that gives you less of what you bought it for? I'd like to know the advantages apart from bragging rights!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my contribution to this thread's question is that the Schick razors with twin-blade heads are good value at around 60 baht for one shaft and 3 heads. They have this 'gimmick' that actually works - a white insert that you push and cleans the hair from between the blades.

For what it's worth (ie. nothing) I am fascinated by those who have ritualized shaving into an art form but those $300 straight razors you can buy with a fixed steel blade that requires sharpening just puzzle me - why would you spend more money on something that gives you less of what you bought it for? I'd like to know the advantages apart from bragging rights!

I do like the idea of that gimmick you mention. I use a shaving oil instead of gel/cream and it causes the hair to stick in the blades. I wish the 5 blade watson model had that feature. For less than 35 thb each they are a great deal for a 5 blade cartridge.

Without getting itchy armpits, this is the only anti-perspirant availble in Thailand, which I can use.

Made by a Thai company, Mistine.

mt-top100ml.jpg

Currently using this one as well. It prevents me from getting musty and stinking. But I still perspire and get rings on my shirt almost daily from perspiration. I guess I don't notice persperation much, but I guess it's still there. Next time I will discuss a herneated disk I have in my back...

Also, thanks for your good info on DE shaving. I have been wanting to switch for years and I think you finally pushed me over. I have made arrangements with sellers on ebay for a handle with blades, a brush, and some soap (all from your recommendation actually smile.png ) I have also started reading through the wiki at B&B.

Nice - I didn't waste my typing time after all! I think you will find that lot a great buy. You will also find the DE kit great for shaving around your beard - no narrow gap between blades to get hair clogged up in...

To answer points made by a few other posters:

- expensive straight razors like the old barbers use: yes, I think for bragging rights only too... sounds dangerous to me!

- the Gillette vector twin blades also have this plastic bit that you can use to clear the gap between the blades. They're not bad twin blade razors; but not great either. Of course, you don't need this if you use a traditional DE razor...

- I use the alum crystals (available from mamny mom and pop type shops for about 40 Baht a kilo!) to stop smelly armpits - they work brilliantly; your pits just smell of nothing.

- Feather blades I buy from a salon supply shop on the outside of the moat opposite Chiang Mai Gate. If you walk from the inside of the moat across the road to the outside., at the gate, then walk a short way to your left you will see a shop on the end of a row with salon chairs and massage tables outside. You can get them from there, and Durco also, although I didn't find them to be great - Feather for me.

Bottom line? If you have plenty of time to get the lather just right (it never is as perfect as a good canned foam) then all you've done is take a 4-5 minute job and turn it into a 10 minute job.

No. You spent an absurd amount of time trying to make that lather. Your brush was crap, couldn't expect too much. Obviously, you didn't know what you were doing and didn't bother to learn. Youtube has numerous tutorials on the subject.

If the canned foam were better, I'd certainly go back to it. It isn't, and most who've seriously tried both would agree. Besides, some do enjoy the ritual, developing a small traditional skill, and taking an extra minute or two.

I seriously doubt your time is THAT valuable.

Again, anyone interested in this particular subject should read the informative discussion here: http://badgerandblad...d-cream-or-foam

thanks for the link.

I found this image in the thread that pretty much sums up my reaction to your shaving evangelism.

OSaero245a.jpg

Every thread on every forum worldwide has its dissenters--and trollish dissenters, as in this case. Just the font tells you he's a troll. Congrats on ferreting out one of the few in that thread, doubtless the type of poster with which you can identify. Some guys, such as the above troll, just aren't comfortable talking w/ other, more experienced, guys about guy things, here the mandatory shaving ritual most of go thru daily. So, in hamster mode, they end up taking direction from marketers or their wives/girlfriends.

I hope you at least bothered to read the entire thread as the first step to your rebirth. Not that you'd admit to any rebirth even if it happened. To that particular post, Suzuki rebutted with reason as follows:

"
This is just plain silly - and I suspect you are saying this for the sake of being contrary. If you think a $0.99 can of foam works as "good as any shaving soap", that's great.

However, there are lots of folks out there who disagree - I'd happily use cheap foam if it worked as well - I got into traditional wetshaving because I wasn't happy with the shaves I was getting from foams and gels. In fact, I think that
switching to a brush and a good soap/cream is probably the biggest step up a guy can make
. If I'm in a rush, I'll use a cartridge with brush and soap instead of using a DE with canned foam or gel.

Saying that shaving foam is "only soap and water after it hits the skin" doesnt' add anything - there are lots of soaps that I wouldn't shave with - laundry soap, dishwashing soap, ivory soap, Irish Spring, etc... So saying something should work as well as a good shaving soap or cream because its "soap" doesn't make any sense - I suspect there are lots of soaps that you wouldn't choose to shave with. The question isn't whether you can shave with a $0.99 can of foam - the answer of course is yes - I'm sure you can also shave with laundry soap - but I'm not going to try it or suggest that others try it. The question is whether there are brands of canned foam or gel that will give you good results/results comparable to using a brush and quality soap/cream.

Even a badly built lather (unless we're talking about a situation where the person isn't even trying to do it right) with good soap or cream is better than foam in a can - in particular the $0.99 variety.

Generally, the lubricants in foams are not as good as the lubricants in a good soap or cream, the propellants used can be deyhdrating - not to mention the huge number of chemicals some of which have been linked to health concerns (the last factor being completely unrelated to shaving efficacy).

The only foam I've used that I've gotten decent results with is the Proraso, which contains stearic acid or tallow and mineral oil, so lubricates better than other foams.

The gels are generally more lubricating and better on the skin than the foams.

The Aveeno gel contains oatmeal, aloe, glycerine, sunflower oil, to name a few - essentially good natural ingredients that are known to be lubricating/good for the skin. The Nivea and Neutrogena (aloe and soy based) gels are also not too bad.

However, these products cost around $6 - $7, which is considerably more than $0.99.

Also, there are several brushless products out there that do a very good job, I'm partial to the Alba aloe and mint brushless for when I need to shave in a hurry at work or don't have access to a brush.

So, to answer the question, the only foams that I think are decent are the ones by Proraso (read the reviews here).

On the gel side, there are several products that I think do a pretty good job, but these are likely on par with creams in terms of price per use, especially if you reapply between passes. If you're looking for a brushless option and want something organic/with less chemicals, there are also several options that I think work quite well.

Having said this, I still prefer the shaves I get using soap or cream - in particular hard soaps and tallow-based prodcuts.

As with all things wet shaving, don't knock it if you haven't tried it and use what works best for you."

And PottyDoctor agreed:

I totally agree! I've never in all my years of shaving seen a 99 cent can, or a 9 dollar can, of foam, gel or goo that even came close to working as well as 99% of the shaving soaps that one reads about here. I absolutely despise the stuff! I can take a puck of Colonel Conk and make it produce better lather than anything in a can. And you don't even have to be a seasoned veteran wet-shaver to produce a superior lather from a puck of shaving soap.

I much prefer to use a tube of KMF or similar cream if I want something to travel with. You can still use your brush with it and enjoy the shave!!!
biggrin.gif
"

These are only a few among the large majority who've tried both, have the right stuff, and know what they're doing.

Edited by JSixpack

I still have a can of some semi-expensive edge gel I brought over from the US. I brought a bunch of shave secret oil and just love it to death. Once I went to oil I never looked back. I did however just order a badger brush and some Palmolive shaving soap along with a DE and I'm quite anxious to try it all when it arrives. I will still use the oil for the pre-shave. Then whip up some lather for the shave. Since I've never used a DE before I'm expecting there will be a learning curve.

• Like 1

I still have a can of some semi-expensive edge gel I brought over from the US. I brought a bunch of shave secret oil and just love it to death. Once I went to oil I never looked back. I did however just order a badger brush and some Palmolive shaving soap along with a DE and I'm quite anxious to try it all when it arrives. I will still use the oil for the pre-shave. Then whip up some lather for the shave. Since I've never used a DE before I'm expecting there will be a learning curve.

EXCELLENT! Welcome to The Resistance! This will be fun, as such things go. Let us know of your progress. There's a slight but interesting learning curve; in the end it's more than worth it, I trust you'll agree.

How about visiting a barber shop?

You go to the barber for your daily shave? You guys must be pretty close by now. Does he clean out your ears and tear ducts as well?

No I don't, I have learned how to do it by myself. The suggestion was to those who haven't learned this yet.

Edited by Semper

You go to the barber for your daily shave? You guys must be pretty close by now. Does he clean out your ears and tear ducts as well?

No I don't, I have learned how to do it by myself. The suggestion was to those who haven't learned this yet.

Can't be that hard if you learned it.

It's a cinch, and I think you'll get a hang of it in a couple of weeks training.

It's a cinch, and I think you'll get a hang of it in a couple of weeks training.

It's the life time of using cartridge razors that will be the habits that need breaking.

Since you seem so helpful and knowledgeable on the subject, do you have any tips on techniques for shaving with a de razor other than go visit the local barber shop that doesn't even use anything other than a straight blade to shave customers.

Edited by Jayman

• 2 weeks later...

So I just love the DE shaves. They are great. I thought there would be a learning curve but even my first shave was gorgeous. I was worried I'd nick myself but now even after 5-6 shaves with the DE setup not a single nick and my face feels good. I wish I had been using this to shave back in my younger mil days when a daily close shave was a must. My face used to get torn ray from the daily shaves using cartridges. I find it takes no longer with DE blade and I enjoy the process much more.

How often to change the blade? I have gotten several shaves now and just now thinking the blade needs to be changed.

Tip: If you rinse the blade with cold instead of hot water, you can use it longer before needing to change it.

My bathroom sink only has cold water so that's not a problem. Was just at food land and noticed they're seek shaving brushes but didn't see any blades or soap.

• 8 months later...

Ha ! After a year working my way through the anti-perspirant brands in Thailand, Big C just got in Gillette Clinical Odor Shield....and it works for me !

If it works for me, I think the rest of the planet is covered.......dry fresh pit heaven..... wai2.gif and although it has the clinical tag, it does not have the clinical price tag......about 98 Baht I think...........

product_gillette_clinical_odor_shield.pn

They do not know how to do a decent shave in Thailand,useless.

Been down this route a few times too, Watson s sell a 5 bladed razor,quite good ,in fact excellent,but quality wise the replacement blades are now inferior to a few months ago. I think they were Gillette Fusion sold under their brand name,bought a ton when on offer 99baht holder and 5 blades,blades lasted 5 weeks,new ones about two.

Its knowing how to shave,those sub continent roadside barbers knew the tricks,cut throat razors,was about 36 hours before any stubble was felt,felt a million dollars after each shave,creams lotions applied

Have to stretch the skin,rub the skin against the grain for a good minute ,good brush and shaving lotions, but cannot get them in Thailand. Bought a ton in neighbouring country,last me 30 years or so.

No thanks to the single blade,too many cuts,that alum block comes in handy then

Edited by pinfold

I buy Venture brand disposable razors from 7 eleven, very good quality and last a long time. I think about 45 baht for two. Also bought a deodorant stick from 7 eleven that I use every day and is nearly 2 years old. I think the english name is Grace but it has what looks like NSB in Thai letters across the top. You wet the stick before you use it, it's the only deodorant I've tried that doesn't cause my armpits to itch. Also very cheap.

I will second these Venture razors. I switched to them from the Mach 3 also. Unless you're a Greek Sasquatch these will do the job nicely.

I had a shave once at a Thai barber, never, ever again. I could have done a better job with a rusty butter knife. My face hurt for days. Most Thais can remove all of their facial hair with a tweezer; they have no comprehension of a thick beard.

If you want a good shave at the barber, go to Turkey.

• Like 1

I would also like to try a DE but i also shave my skull everyday,will a DE work there as well or will i end up in the

ER?

I am using Mach 3 now and i bought a bunch of blades online here in Thailand and the are a very bad copy and it feels like you are pulling out your hair instead of cutting it.

I buy the blades at Tesco and they are a lot cheaper then at Bootz or Watsons.

How often to change the blade? I have gotten several shaves now and just now thinking the blade needs to be changed.

Made me laugh.

I remember when I started shaving as a callow youth, asking people in work etc., "how often should you change a blade" and nobody would ever give a straight answer.

I think they knew that whatever the answer, somebody would have a go at them as either being tight or wasteful.

Edited by rott

Made me laugh.

I remember when I started shaving as a callow youth, asking people in work etc., "how often should you change a blade" and nobody would ever give a straight answer.

I think they knew that whatever the answer, somebody would have a go at them as either being tight or wasteful.

Yes I posed that question nearly a year ago when I first started DE shaving. The real answer to that question is very much dependent on the brand blade you use and your beard type. I have grown found of Derby blades and I got a pack of 100 of them from amazon for like $7. I get about 3-4 shaves per blade before they start to feel a bit worn.

On a side note, I have heard of some DE shavers complain on the very 1st shave of a new blade as it's too sharp and some even run the blade over a cork to dull it slightly before it's first use.

I love DE shaving. It has completely changed the way I think about shaving. I used to dread it and would often skip shaves cause of the hassle I associated with it. Now I enjoy to shave and actually look forward to it. I often find myself guilty of facial masturbation after I shave as I can't stop rubbing my freshly shaven face.