Bank Acc.

I have been coming to Thailand 12 years now for hols. I am here on a visa exempt obtained at airport. How does one go about opening a bank acc so can deposit the 800000baht for retirement visa. I tried once and was told I need a work permit or Edu. Visa.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

wink.png I did it back in November 2010.

You really usually need a Non immigrant O visa....which you can get at a Thai consulate in your home country. That's what the banks really want...either that or a Work Permit.

You also can get one if you are married to a Thai...and if you are over 50 and plan to come to Thailand for retirement. (The visa I mean).

Different Thai consulates will have different "requirements" they will tell you....so contact a Thai consulate to get their take on what is "required" from you.

You can also get that Non immigrant O visa here in neighnoring countries....but most everyone who is sucessful getting that visa here in S,E, Asia is married to a Thai..it's difficult to get that visa locally simply based on retirement.

You can also enter Thailand on a tourist visa, and convert it here (for a fee) to that Non immigrant O you need to open that bank account.

Once you have that visa you need to make the rounds of the banks and ask about opening an account for retirement . Some will say no, and give you phoney reasons why you can't open the account. keep trying, one branch of a bank my say no, but another branch will say yes.

I opened mine in this bank and branch:

Bangkok Bank

Soi 43 Sukhumvit Road branch

Bangkok

I found them to be the most "Farang friendly" branch....but your experience may differ.

Just keep trying. Don't let being turned down a few times keep you from trying again.

tongue.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Kasikorn Bank have a reputation for being most helpful.

Try branches that are in shopping centers such as Big C or Tesco or tourist areas where they will be more used to dealing with foreigners.

Keep trying and you will get one.

More information Here.

• Like 2

wink.png I did it back in November 2010.

You really usually need a Non immigrant O visa....which you can get at a Thai consulate in your home country. That's what the banks really want...either that or a Work Permit.

You also can get one if you are married to a Thai...and if you are over 50 and plan to come to Thailand for retirement. (The visa I mean).

Different Thai consulates will have different "requirements" they will tell you....so contact a Thai consulate to get their take on what is "required" from you.

You can also get that Non immigrant O visa here in neighnoring countries....but most everyone who is sucessful getting that visa here in S,E, Asia is married to a Thai..it's difficult to get that visa locally simply based on retirement.

You can also enter Thailand on a tourist visa, and convert it here (for a fee) to that Non immigrant O you need to open that bank account.

Once you have that visa you need to make the rounds of the banks and ask about opening an account for retirement . Some will say no, and give you phoney reasons why you can't open the account. keep trying, one branch of a bank my say no, but another branch will say yes.

I opened mine in this bank and branch:

Bangkok Bank

Soi 43 Sukhumvit Road branch

Bangkok

I found them to be the most "Farang friendly" branch....but your experience may differ.

Just keep trying. Don't let being turned down a few times keep you from trying again.

tongue.png

Nonsense, he doesn't need a visa just to open a bank account. Agreed, he may as well get one if he is going to start the retirement extension process though, but not necessary.

Plenty of information here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/260738-opening-a-new-bank-account-in-thailand/

Try the Kasikorn at Central Bang Na. The only thing their request is a phone number, adress and e-mail from a Thai person who you know.

It worked for me some years ago and still now some friends who are coming to here and want to open a bank account succeed everytime.

Good luck on it

There is no "correct answer" --- no posters here are right or wrong -- and none of the previous posts are "nonsense"!!

It is a matter of pot luck -- because whatever the correct regulations re a foreigner opening a bank account may be --- different banks -- different days -- all different responses.

Years ago went to the Bangkok Bank (Emporium -- Sukhumvit Rd) with simply a tourist visa. They could not have been more helpful. Bank account ?? -- certainly!! ATM card ?? -- no problem!! internet banking?? -- Oh no!!! cannot without a WP.

18 months later with a Business visa and now owning a business in a different part of BKK ----- I foolishly thought that transferring my account to the local Bangkok Bank branch would be a mere formality. Very wrong. Cannot transfer!! They would also not open a new account without a WP.

So the message is clear -- you have no choice but to keep trying different Banks and different branches. As a previous poster observed --- the Kasikorn Bank is reputed to be easier to get on with than the others.

I have been visiting the LOS for the past seven years or so on tourist visas,

and recently I opened two bank accounts, (savings acount with ATM card)

at SCB and Bangkok Bank, both in Bangkok.

I had no difficulties and managed to do it on the first try.

I took along a friend who is a Thai citizen and who speaks Thai.

Edited by Maestro
Changed font format to default