Must Buriram Residents Now Use Kap Choeng Immigartion Office As Opposed To Korat (Dan Kwien)?

I have read various reports on this subject and am keen to learn of peoples actual experiences rather than "my mate told me" or an immigration official told me....type anecdotes. I have been using Korat (Dan Kwien) office for my last 3 extensions and 90 day reports which is around 120km round trip ( I live in Nong Ki) as opposed to the approx 260km round trip to Kap Choeng and potential procedural changes. Any reports from anyone?

I lived in Korat and did not appreciate the distance to immigration. Very hard for elderly folks without a car to get there. Two years ago they refused to alllow 90 day address reporting by mail, the most convenient thing they could have done if they truely wanted to help foreigners living in the larger area.

The staff can be rude and after having received donations, slipped in passports, or just on the table for years, sometimes maybe think that it is the norm. I personally did not enjoy my visits there. But then I do not enjoy most visits to immigration in Thailand, as there is always some new requirement that I am being asked to produce.

I lived in Korat and did not appreciate the distance to immigration. Very hard for elderly folks without a car to get there. Two years ago they refused to alllow 90 day address reporting by mail, the most convenient thing they could have done if they truely wanted to help foreigners living in the larger area.

The staff can be rude and after having received donations, slipped in passports, or just on the table for years, sometimes maybe think that it is the norm. I personally did not enjoy my visits there. But then I do not enjoy most visits to immigration in Thailand, as there is always some new requirement that I am being asked to produce.

My post is obviously misleading....by asking for reports I meant has any Buriram resident gone to Dan Kwien since Kap Choeng has re-opened for full service and been refused service and been redirected to Kap Choeng? and not the merits of one office versus another....or people just moaning in general....

Edited by mxyzptlk

I lived in Korat and did not appreciate the distance to immigration. Very hard for elderly folks without a car to get there. Two years ago they refused to allow 90 day address reporting by mail, the most convenient thing they could have done if they truely wanted to help foreigners living in the larger area.

My post is obviously misleading....by asking for reports I meant has any Buriram resident gone to Dan Kwien since Kap Choeng has re-opened for full service and been refused service and been redirected to Kap Choeng? and not the merits of one office versus another....or people just moaning in general....

I have just returned from Korat Imigration at Dan Kwien. When I was finished with my business i asked them about residents from Buriram or Surin still using them and their direct answerer was for a 90 report MAYBE one time, next time go to Kap Choeng.

Edited by khwaibah

A friend of mine went to Khorat a week ago, not knowing Kap Cheong was open again. Khorat processed his 90 day report and said that would be the one and only time they would do it.

Next time he must go to Kap Cheong.

When Kap Choeng Immigration was relocated to Korat a few years ago all of Surin and Buriram had to go to Korat instead of Surin( Kap Choeng) for their Yearly Visa requirements.( 90 day reports could still be done at Choeng Chom ) The Immigration did do Bi-monthly visits to Surin and Buriram Town Halls but this finished at the end of last year. Sometimes it helped ,sometimes it didn't.!!!

For me living in the Northern part of Surin it meant a 400k+ round trip to do my yearly visa extension at Korat.Kap Choen is still a 250K round trip for me but a saving of 150k.No matter where the Immigration is there will always be winners and losers.In fact Si Saket Immigration is only a 160k round trip from my house but because I live in Surin I'm not allowed to go there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I live in Lahansai, Buri Ram and yesterday, December 03, 2012, drove to Dan Kwien (Korat) to obtain a 30 day extension to my double entry visa. The Immigration Officer I talked to glanced at my Thai address on the form,pushed the application forms back across the desk and informed me that anyone from the Buri Ram area should now to go to Kap Choeng.

I live in Lahansai, Buri Ram and yesterday, December 03, 2012, drove to Dan Kwien (Korat) to obtain a 30 day extension to my double entry visa. The Immigration Officer I talked to glanced at my Thai address on the form,pushed the application forms back across the desk and informed me that anyone from the Buri Ram area should now to go to Kap Choeng.

Gosh, how about that for customer service.

I didn't think address restrictions applied to tourist visas.

So if I am correct on this, there is no reason he/she could not do your 30-day tourist visa extension.