Another New Thai Citizen - Me!

Congradulations, but do get over to the Grand Palace and drop that ID card in there lap. My girlfriend really got fired up when I got a senior discount and she didn't get a Thai discount. I would chose the name Somchai Na Nahkon Si Tammarat just for grins. Congradulations again

I don't see any problem with Somchai but good luck in getting your district office to approve Na Nakhon Si thammarat!

It's impossible (as I'm sure you know). You cannot use a surname that includes honorifics like "Na" and you can't choose a surname already in use by someone else.

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having said all of that, however - I cannot wait to rush off to the Grand Palace and get in for free!! tongue.png

I think I would be making a trip to a neighboring country to try out that brand new passport you will soon have.

Yes, a trip to a neighbouring country is better. The Grand Palace is no big deal. I've got in there at no cost by showing my Teacher's Licence card. I just had to write some personal details in a register.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for the MOI to send the official letter to the police so they can prepare my naturalization certificate. The MOI said it would take two weeks from the announcement in the Government Gazette - which was on May 30th. I will call them every few days and I'm hopeful I will have my passport within a week or so.

Many congratulations Chief Jusice.

For those interested in the details current practice is for the National Intelligence Agency to interview applicants at McDonalds in Amarin Plaza with no interview at the applicant's office or home, as previously. The same officer has been conducting all these interviews alone for the last three years or so and the venue is for applicants' convenience because the NIA's office is in Ratchadamnoen Road. There may also be a budgetary constraint as the interviews were previously conducted by more than one officer and the fixed venue is obviously cheaper than travelling to homes and/or offices. The practice may change when that officer is reassigned and/or if the budget is increased. Also I am sure that they will come and investigate offices or homes, if they have reason to suspect there is something fishy about the application details.

They must have found a new location. My wife's was conducted at KFC at Victory Monument.

They told us they wanted to do it in a relaxing informal atmosphere!

Maybe the big mac's came him out of the ears already.

Having said all of that, however - I cannot wait to rush off to the Grand Palace and get in for free!! tongue.png

I think I would be making a trip to a neighboring country to try out that brand new passport you will soon have.

Or having a visa application to visit your home country rejected.

He didn't say he was giving up his original nationality; at least, not that I saw.

I will have dual citizenship so I do not need a visa to visit my home country.

Sorry, comment was actually made tongue in cheek, but I thought that Thailand doesn't allow dual nationality anymore. Wasn't there a big discussion about concerning good ol' Mark. Edited by pipo1000

Congratulations on your achievement.It is my hope to have the same one day and for the same reasons that you have stated in answer to previous posts. I hope that I can last the distance to achieve that aim.

Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

It would be nice to make an application as a Thai and if they refuse then whip out your home country passport biggrin.png

Sorry, comment was actually made tongue in cheek, but I thought that Thailand doesn't allow dual nationality anymore. Wasn't there a big discussion about concerning good ol' Mark.

Yes it was good when Thailand had a British prime minister.

So how long were you a permanent resident before applying for Thai Citizenship? Is PR even required?

I was also interested in the "total" costs involved. I could not find this in the link you posted.

Edited by 4evermaat

So how long were you a permanent resident before applying for Thai Citizenship? Is PR even required?

I was also interested in the "total" costs involved. I could not find this in the link you posted.

PR is not required if you have are marreid to a Thai national, but in that case you must be on a (yellow) tabien baan.

• Like 1

PR is not required if you have are marreid to a Thai national, but in that case you must be on a (yellow) tabien baan.

wow, that's a pretty significant revelation. So you can shave 5 years off of the process (without PR requirement)

wow, that's a pretty significant revelation. So you can shave 5 years off of the process (without PR requirement)

Theoretically, yes. But no reports yet from anyone who's been successful via this route.

Theoretically, yes. But no reports yet from anyone who's been successful via this route.

I have also not heard of anyone successful via this route but there probably are some by now and it can only be a matter of time before we start to hear about them. In fact most of the male applications since about 2010 are in this category. The law only changed in early 2008 and was not publicised, so the new route took a while to be generally known and is still not known by many who are qualified and might like to apply, if they knew. Also the process takes at least 3 years for most people.

Quite a few males with Thai wives are stuck in the PR queue and are reluctant to withdraw their PR applications with the benefit of the automatic 6 monthly visa renewals and the possibility they might get approved soon to start at the bottom of the citizenship queue which might take many more years without the visa benefits. It is not permitted to apply for citizenship with a PR application pending in the system. You have to choose one or the other.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A minor update. I finally obtained my Thai ID card today at my local District Office. Everything went smoothly and they seemed to enjoy the novelty of having a faring apply for a Thai ID card. Finally, the process is complete!

Congratulations and enjoy the use of your Thai ID card.