New Year Clarification

robitusson

The traditional Thai New Year begins on 12th April and ends, depending on the year, either on the 15th or 16th April. I'm not sure when or why it was officially switched to coincide with the Gregorian New Year. When you're 542 years ahead of everyone else what difference does a few months make?? I'm sure there's a practical reason, though.

So it's now 2549, isn't it? Does that mean the Thai new year began on the 1st of January? If that is the case, what does Song Kran celebrate? I thought Song Kran was the Thai new year.

The Prime Minister decreed in 1941 that January 1st would be the official New Year's Day, so the previous year had only 9 months. Just an excuse really to have more parties. :o

The traditional Thai New Year begins on 12th April and ends, depending on the year, either on the 15th or 16th April. I'm not sure when or why it was officially switched to coincide with the Gregorian New Year. When you're 542 years ahead of everyone else what difference does a few months make?? I'm sure there's a practical reason, though.

Wow, must be the shortest year ever...12th- 15th/16th April :o

It only bought them into line with the rest of the world.