Tony'S Gym- One Day Lifetime Membership Promotion

Michaelaway

A friend told me I was wrong; he says the yearly, 1-day special promotion price is 14,999 (reduced from 28,999) for lifetime membership. That's ok with me... but I still don't know the next date. Anybody...?

Why would he broadcast special deal dates way ahead of time and why would he make it a regular thing? It would be a ridiculous thing to do as anyone looking to purchase a lifetime would wait for the date and Tony would lose money. When he does have a special deal it is advertised as a one time only opportunity, never to be repeated, not a regular thing. Last time he did this he sent flyers around town - I got one in my letterbox. It was in December last year.

I'm not a fan of his business practices, but give him some credit - he's not that stupid.

Edited by tropo

A friend told me I was wrong; he says the yearly, 1-day special promotion price is 14,999 (reduced from 28,999) for lifetime membership. That's ok with me... but I still don't know the next date. Anybody...?

You do realise that it's not for your lifetime but the lifetime of the business? And if the business is on life support you won't get any refunds?

There is a big sign with the lifetime membership promotions outside the gym on Third Rd.between Soi 17 and Tai.

• Like 1

As long as there is an alternative, I won't be using his facilities.

Facilities withdrawn, but prices raised. Foreigners are directed to overpriced gym facilities. 220 baht for the gym right next door to the 39 baht gym for Thais. Look at the crappy old Soi Bua Khao gym for 69 baht. I'd rather give my money to the Universe gym on Sukhumvit. Much better pricing.

• Like 1

Yeah Tony's gyms are pretty run down these days although i still use them on a day rate basis when I am in town.

220 baht is pretty cheap still if you are a tourist and the facilities at the Third Road venue arent too bad. My main gripe with the gym is that it is too hot. I am used to sweating a lot but his gyms could really do with some good ac.

Yeah Tony's gyms are pretty run down these days although i still use them on a day rate basis when I am in town.

220 baht is pretty cheap still if you are a tourist and the facilities at the Third Road venue arent too bad. My main gripe with the gym is that it is too hot. I am used to sweating a lot but his gyms could really do with some good ac.

He has the aircon units, he just doesn't keep them on long and they are set at high temps. At the old Soi 16 gym the manager used to go around in the middle of the (hot) day and switch them off all the time - obviously at the request of Tony. They're pretend aircon units placed there to entice new members. They don't realise that until they've signed up. Then of course there is his blanket policy to have them all switched off before 9am and after 9pm - when it's only 32C outside.

If he was was smart he'd think to himself why California Wow is always so busy - because despite some complaints about it being too cold in there, the general consensus is that cool gym temperatures are appreciated in Thailand.

Perhaps Tony thinks he's doing his Farang members a favour by making them sweat more as Thais (and a few ill informed Farang) have this odd notion that the more you sweat the fitter you will get. You'll see them walking or running around the park at the hottest time of year wearing plastic sweat suits thinking they're going to sweat their way to fitness or lose more fat.

I had to put up with this belief in the Philippines too where gyms wouldn't even have fans and when they did the Filipinos would go around turning them off.

Edited by tropo

As least the Thai gym for 39 baht is 'open air'. The Bua Khao gym is just a pit and that plastic covered gym..... 220 baht?? They ran the Soi 16 gym down... no more water machines, increasingly ridiculous towel policies, the pool disappeared and finally the gym disappeared and reappeared in the old Walking Street location. The girls I knew refused to train there, as they didn't like the leching passersby.

That man has run out of ideas. Time to get rid of the sycophants and get some real business brains on the job.

• 1 month later...

Looks like 4 Aug 2012.. will be the last 1 day Lifetime Membership offered.

14,990 Baht for all Facilities.

i can't post the pic of the advertisement..

But just seen the post on Facebook go to PATTAYA PEOPLE MEDIA GROUP

and you will see the ad on today's date.

Might be worth it if it includes the new Bukhao gym and one didn't want to travel to Fairtex / Centara / Universe.

Thanks a lot, JimmyJam!

Tony's gyms were up for sale, advertised on bahtsold ( 70 million if I remember correctly)

Life time membership or any membership may not be honored by the new owners if it's sold

• Like 1

Tony's gyms were up for sale, advertised on bahtsold ( 70 million if I remember correctly)

Life time membership or any membership may not be honored by the new owners if it's sold

Yes, but the timing is perfect for Tony to grab a lot of cash from disgruntled California Wow members. It's a big gamble as the special lifetime is about the cost of 2 years at normal fees.

How lucky do you feel?

So, what do you figure? Will Tony be greeting the applicants on promotion day?

"Go ahead (and sign up)... make my day. Do 'ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do 'ya??"

Let's hope for the best.

cool.png

Hope for what? A lifetime of workouts in a bunch of lousy gyms?

If I was hoping for the best I'd be hoping he goes broke and these poor excuses for gyms were closed so someone could open a decent one.

I use the International gym on the left side of 3rd road coming off pattaya tai. 1150 baht a month plus a free month. Buy one month get one free, buy two months get 2 free!

Can't go wrong.

"Go ahead (and sign up)... make my day. Do 'ya feel lucky, punk? Well, do 'ya??"

Let's hope for the best.

cool.png

If I was hoping for the best I'd be hoping he goes broke and these poor excuses for gyms were closed so someone could open a decent one.

So Tony's is the reason there are no "decent" gyms in Pattaya?? Please explain.

Let's hope for the best.

cool.png

So Tony's is the reason there are no "decent" gyms in Pattaya?? Please explain.

I thought that didn't require explanation. He's opened a dozen or so gyms in every area of town. It's pretty hard to compete with that, don't you think?... Especially when he offers the use of all his gyms for one membership fee. On the surface it looks like a good deal to the casual trainer.

There is no way any operator could offer a decent gym for anywhere near his price. He's got old cardio machines which he probably got at good price from other broke operators in the past... which he quickly runs down due to poor maintenance. Do you realise that one commercial quality imported cross trainer or treadmill runs at nearly 1/2 million baht each. I enquired about a Cybex Arc Trainer recently. Off the shelf 450,000 baht (in the US where they are made they're around $10K each). Good quality treadmills cost even more. Obviously if you buy multiples you'll get substantial deals, but the point is new commercial quality cardio machines like you see in some hotel gyms (Centara) cost a lot of money.

Tony knows what he is doing. He's trying to corner the gym market with lots of sub-par gyms that he sets up cheaply. Surely you've seen his Sport's World plastic tent gym on 3rd Road?

What you may not know is he often robs one gym of good equipment to set up another gym. He spreads it around. A good example would be his old Soi 16 Walking Street gym. Near the end he had a dozen 20kg plates to service 16 assorted weight stations after he had taken them all out to equip other gyms. I had to make 3 or more return trips to a weight tree about 10 paces away to load one Hammer Strength machine. That's 60 paces carrying 40kg to load a machine BEFORE I'm ready to exercise.

He's probably going to do well as there are many people such as yourself who just don't care and are happy to train in these gyms. As long as people are happy to shell out he'll keep going.

Edited by tropo

I use the International gym on the left side of 3rd road coming off pattaya tai. 1150 baht a month plus a free month. Buy one month get one free, buy two months get 2 free!

Can't go wrong.

Are you talking about Tony's Sports World? The plastic tent gym?

Can't go wrong.

Isn't it apparent, after 25 comments, that not everyone has the same needs, standards or general criteria for choosing (or not choosing) Tony's gym? Why waste so much time discussing the merits of other people's opinions? They are what they are, man. "Can't go wrong is fine"... even if it's "can't go right," to you.

Personally, 14,999 baht seems very reasonable for me to be able to play tennis on a nearby, private, covered court... anytime @ no charge, for a lifetime.

Can't go wrong.

Isn't it apparent, after 25 comments, that not everyone has the same needs, standards or general criteria for choosing (or not choosing) Tony's gym? Why waste so much time discussing the merits of other people's opinions? They are what they are, man. "Can't go wrong is fine"... even if it's "can't go right," to you.

Personally, 14,999 baht seems very reasonable for me to be able to play tennis on a nearby, private, covered court... anytime @ no charge, for a lifetime.

You can dream if you wish and bury your head in the sand.

If you don't want to read my comments, then just ignore them. I'll decide what is a waste of my time if that's ok with you.

Edited by tropo

I'm going for it on 12/8/4. There are no other choices at this time. End of.

Agreed, your choices are limited, but you do have a choice about whether you want to join for a lifetime or not. He has his gyms on the market - this could be a cash grab - beware!

• Like 1

You can dream if you wish and bury your head in the sand.

If you don't want to read my comments, then just ignore them. I'll decide what is a waste of my time if that's ok with you.

Hi Tropo.

As said before not everybody expect the same thing from gym.

You say material is not good/enough for heavy weight stations; maybe, but I am not interested by that.

What I see is that you can play tennis and badminton, that they have a big nice swimming-pool,

that they have the material that I need for the gym program I do, that I can make yoga or other kind of gyms too,...

For me it's not bad at 15 k for "a few years". smile.png

I'm going for it on 12/8/4. There are no other choices at this time. End of.

Agreed, your choices are limited, but you do have a choice about whether you want to join for a lifetime or not. He has his gyms on the market - this could be a cash grab - beware!

What's the lowest annual rate from Tony's to your knowledge? Thanks.