Integration In Thai Society Made Easy

JurgenG

I recently read a thread about the look foreigners get from locals. But honestly the way some foreigners dress, they really stick out like a sore thumb among the local crowd. My trick ? Dress like a local your age and your status. Suddenly you become invisible. At least it works for me.

Does anybody has other simple tricks to make life in Thailand more easy ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True integration very very difficult, for 99% of us impossible.

We can find our place within a particular community/group, but we'll always be the farang.

Now what that place is vs what we want it to be, that's certainly worthy of discussion.

And adopting at least part of their attitude wrt the importance of outward appearances and social conformity is certainly important if you want to be considered acceptable to the mainstream (dominant elite) attitudes. And dressing well is obviously part of that.

As is speaking politely and respectfully, not speaking your mind too directly, remaining calm at all times, not showing irritation or anger or otherwise criticising in public, or otherwise causing someone to lose face - particularly yourself.

As I said most farang here just not willing to compromise what they see as their principles to that extent.

And let's face it if you're a millionaire the Thais are perfectly happy to accept your eccentricities. It's really we kee nok crowd that need to kowtow to Thai culture, especially when seeking employment/recruiting customers.

And hunting skirt. . .

whistling.gif I was born and grew up in the U.S.A.

Basically I left there when I was about 18 years old....and was sent overseas by the U.S. Army.

I haven't really gone back to the U.S.A. to "live normally" since that time.

I'm now pushing 66 years, and I've lived and worked in 9 different countries...or 10 if you include Thailand....where I am now retired.

Which one should I have integrated myself into, then?

That's why I just do what I like., respect others and their culture and customs, and don't worry about the rest of it.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Clothes maketh the man.

Manners maketh the gentleman.

... and then the gentleman makes the Lady ... rolleyes.gif

sorry theblether ... could not resist ... tongue.png

I'll let you off with it ?

I made the mistake when I first went to Thailand of slouching about in beach wear. I now don't walk out the door without looking at least smart casual.

Good manners are international.

Depends what you mean by adapting. I doubt a foreigner can truly be accepted in the Thai society since the Thai society itself doesn't have a unity of its own. What is it to be Thai really? I would love to hear this from the Thais themselves...

I think if you want to live here you need to either accept that you have to endure alot during your time and there will always be struggle. If you have enough money, you can certainly make it easier for yourself. Having a girlfriend or a wife here certainly makes the transition easier since most of them have the know-how but I doubt they know how the foreigners feel. Remember most Thais haven't been abroad even so they have no clue to what the outside world is like, they just care about what they see here. In their eyes they see foreigners who are able to travel and spend time in pubs and places that are normally considered hi-so to many of the locals because of their wager.

If you cannot be truly accepted why you have to care too much what they want you to be? I think speaking a bit Thai, honor their culture but not to the expense of yourself and deal in the daily routine is all that is needed. I have no intention of being indoctrinated and even if I did I know there is no chance in Sam Hill I would be fully accepted anyway.

I just go by the saying "What do you don't do at home , you don't do anywhere else either."

Edited by maxme

Another farang fashion thread,.... integration? Invisable ! you mean to not "stand out" in the crowd? If you "dress to impress" then you will want to stand out as a high status farang, (not me), really depends where you are, I usually find myself where the regular guys dress pretty much the same as me, hot season, cargo shorts, t-shirt, rubba slippas. cold season, jeans,t-shirt, rubba slippas. And no, the gold diggers don't find me attractive.

• Like 1

Analiane, I think the first photo is of the well known forensic doctor (?) She is known for having a unique fashion sense. Her blouse looks like standard business woman attire. The second photo looks to be very cheap partial dance costume worn for a tourist promo photo shoot.

There really is no one size fits all fashion dogma here, there is lots of room for self expression.

I just go by the saying "What do you don't do at home , you don't do anywhere else either."

A very sound advise

As is speaking politely and respectfully, not speaking your mind too directly, remaining calm at all times, not showing irritation or anger or otherwise criticising in public, or otherwise causing someone to lose face - particularly yourself.

I completely agree with that too. I noticed a number of foreigners get into trouble because they are too aggressive when dealing with Thai people, probably due to some form of paranoia. They "know" that the other party is going to try to cheat them.

I find a number of very negative posts here are very damaging for the people reading this forum. No, the police is not here to extort you money. No, shopkeepers don't always charge foreigners more than local. No Thai people don't hate foreigners, the main feeling is probably indifference. If you believe all these nonsenses, and act aggressively accordingly, you create your own misery.

Yeah I agree. It always helps to smile when your being extorted or ripped off and just keep smiling and say thank you and Thais think so much better of you and really do like you.

A red hot poker up your nether region with no vaseline.

Sarcasm by the way.:ph34r:

With a hint of truth thrown in.:o

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

Analiane, I think the first photo is of the well known forensic doctor (?) She is known for having a unique fashion sense. Her blouse looks like standard business woman attire. The second photo looks to be very cheap partial dance costume worn for a tourist promo photo shoot.

There really is no one size fits all fashion dogma here, there is lots of room for self expression.

Yeah exactly my point; very unique fashion sense which obviously would not suit me

AnEliane

Edited by aneliane

Another farang fashion thread,.... integration? Invisable ! you mean to not "stand out" in the crowd? If you "dress to impress" then you will want to stand out as a high status farang, (not me), really depends where you are, I usually find myself where the regular guys dress pretty much the same as me, hot season, cargo shorts, t-shirt, rubba slippas. cold season, jeans,t-shirt, rubba slippas. And no, the gold diggers don't find me attractive.

One thing I have learnt in Thailand is that when going out somewhere nice, lets say a nice restaurant which is a bit more up market, not somewhere like Kiss in which our very own food critique and unpaid restaurant reviewer classes kiss as a restaurant, Thai's seem to give far better service and smiles and respect to someone who dresses more appropiately for certain occasions/venues.

I've seen certain people turn up at weddings in shorts flip flops and t shirt.

IMO there's a time and place for beach wear and a time and a place to dress for the occasion dependant on venue or occasion

But TIT so up to you.

Edited by MB1

The point of the op was blending in with the local scene, I described a typical combo for Tallat, noodle shop, or bamboo bar occasions, OBVIOUSLY nicer places dictate better dress. ..... most of us get it, still some very petty bored posters like to dwell on how others dress, kind of like the movie "Bruno". giggle.gif I do love the politeness of the daily interactions though.

The point of the op was blending in with the local scene, I described a typical combo for Tallat, noodle shop, or bamboo bar occasions, OBVIOUSLY nicer places dictate better dress. ..... most of us get it, still some very petty bored posters like to dwell on how others dress, kind of like the movie "Bruno". giggle.gif I do love the politeness of the daily interactions though.

Oh yeah forgot about the Thai guys in dirty rags who walks with the belly exposed now do they get the same treatment or have I missed something? Isn't up to everyone what they wanna wear and why on earth should they be picked on for it if they don't wear only thong or sth like that?

If you were responding to my post I am being rather polite, well for now anyway. I was giving my opinions on certain things nothing more nothing less, and nothing to do with boredom.

Anyway have a nice day in the bamboo bar and enjoy your noodle shop.

Back to the OP. I'm not suprised how some thai's look at farang, the classic for me is sleeveless chang t-shirt, budgie smugglers and flip flops with white shorts upto the knees. Classic.:lol:

You usually achieve much more in a negotiation by smiling and joking than by insulting the other party.

Especially when visitors here don't realize just how self-demeaning their aggressive behaviour is, and the fact that it can have later consequences where they don't even know where their "bad luck" came from.

• Like 1

Oh yeah forgot about the Thai guys in dirty rags who walks with the belly exposed now do they get the same treatment or have I missed something? Isn't up to everyone what they wanna wear and why on earth should they be picked on for it if they don't wear only thong or sth like that?

In the back sois around my neighborhood many Thai guys just wear a sarong with no shirt walking around, even into 7-11. Don't know if the fact they're Muslim is relevant, but I'm sure they don't get much respect if they continue to dress that way once they're outside the hood.

But Thais have higher expectations of us honkies, which when we let them down causes their estimation to drop farther and faster than it would with their own.

Like many here talking about "either BG or educated Thai-Chinese", people generally fall into black-and-white thinking, and gap between the respectable farang vs the kee nok variety is a pretty big one.

Many here of course don't care what the Thais think of them, for those I'd suggest the OP is irrelevant; I reckon this thread should be for those of us that do.

• Like 2

If you were responding to my post I am being rather polite, well for now anyway. I was giving my opinions on certain things nothing more nothing less, and nothing to do with boredom.

Anyway have a nice day in the bamboo bar and enjoy your noodle shop.

Back to the OP. I'm not suprised how some thai's look at farang, the classic for me is sleeveless chang t-shirt, budgie smugglers and flip flops with white shorts upto the knees. Classic.laugh.png

My point exactly, it just seems a bit petty to feel that everyone should dress a certain way and then make implied insults to those that don't share their fashion sense. You never go to a neighborhood open sided bar in the early evening to eat gai ping and drink a beer?,if not well you are missing out, and yes, most of the guys there will be wearing cargo shorts unless they are office workers....