Expats In Thailand: Is Your Goal Here To "Integrate" Into Thai Society?

Jingthing

Poll  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I voted yes to integrate. Having said that I do prefer to go to Thai bars and I have reasonable Thai language skills.

Respect earns respect and I cringe when I see some of the biased attitudes exhibited here by westerners to the locals.

Kinda reminds me of the song "One night in Bangkok" (Murray head 1984)

A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country.

So if you speak reasonable Thai, you would also know the reverse is true.....biased attitudes exhibited by Thai's to the foreigners....whistling.gif

So you believe the sum total of intergaration is drinking in Thai bars and speaking reasonable Thai ?....giggle.gif

I have met many Falangs who believe that skill alone gives them "Thainess" and they are one of the locals.

Not saying that this applies to justcruisin, but those I have met in that situation have been quite sad characters who have used Thailand (and their new found Thai friends) as an escape from reality or their failed backgrounds.

The fact remains is that we are tolerated here and (with the exception of a few genuine and long-lasting acquaintances) we can never fully integrate.

To quote from justcruisin - "A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country".

Maybe a statement of the blindingly obvious but it is true as saying "what goes up must come down".

Somethings are just meant (or not) to be.

Tiger Woods is doing OK. He is obviously Thai (look at his sex life) and obviously American (look at his golf).

I voted yes to integrate. Having said that I do prefer to go to Thai bars and I have reasonable Thai language skills.

Respect earns respect and I cringe when I see some of the biased attitudes exhibited here by westerners to the locals.

Kinda reminds me of the song "One night in Bangkok" (Murray head 1984)

A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country.

So if you speak reasonable Thai, you would also know the reverse is true.....biased attitudes exhibited by Thai's to the foreigners....whistling.gif

So you believe the sum total of intergaration is drinking in Thai bars and speaking reasonable Thai ?....giggle.gif

I have met many Falangs who believe that skill alone gives them "Thainess" and they are one of the locals.

Not saying that this applies to justcruisin, but those I have met in that situation have been quite sad characters who have used Thailand (and their new found Thai friends) as an escape from reality or their failed backgrounds.

The fact remains is that we are tolerated here and (with the exception of a few genuine and long-lasting acquaintances) we can never fully integrate.

To quote from justcruisin - "A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country".

Maybe a statement of the blindingly obvious but it is true as saying "what goes up must come down".

Somethings are just meant (or not) to be.

Tiger Woods is doing OK. He is obviously Thai (look at his sex life) and obviously American (look at his golf).

And I am sure Mark Abbisit could go back to the Newcastle and settle back in quite comfortably, if he handled the georgie accent, he can handle anything......lumps of coal and stottie cake lad...laugh.png

• Like 1

Well...

For me it's a "yes" - i'll never prefer sitting at the floor eating, not washing fingers after toilet visits, live in the country side, etc....

But to integrate in a Bangkok way of life, yes i try. I try to learn the language, as good as i can - my business is with Thai's, aimed at the Thai's, my wife is Thai, i prefer Thai food over western, i try to be updated on Thai politics and many of my friends is Thai.

Could i aquire a Thai citizenship at some point, i would happily take it - I can't renounce my own citizenship, as my birth country doesn't allow that, so i would be a double citizenship, but that is also fine by me, as it makes travels in the west easier.

As for local unwritten laws and customs - i DO hold my wife's hand public, as she is the one, that grabs my hand. So do my Thai friends, most of them well educated and from upper middelclass to very wealthy tradition bound families - things are changing here. Go the the Mall/movies in let's say Ramkhamhaeng, there are almost no farang, and the Thai's hold hands and kiss publicly and behave like in europe.

• Like 1

Well...

For me it's a "yes" - i'll never prefer sitting at the floor eating, not washing fingers after toilet visits, live in the country side, etc....

But to integrate in a Bangkok way of life, yes i try. I try to learn the language, as good as i can - my business is with Thai's, aimed at the Thai's, my wife is Thai, i prefer Thai food over western, i try to be updated on Thai politics and many of my friends is Thai.

Could i aquire a Thai citizenship at some point, i would happily take it - I can't renounce my own citizenship, as my birth country doesn't allow that, so i would be a double citizenship, but that is also fine by me, as it makes travels in the west easier.

As for local unwritten laws and customs - i DO hold my wife's hand public, as she is the one, that grabs my hand. So do my Thai friends, most of them well educated and from upper middelclass to very wealthy tradition bound families - things are changing here. Go the the Mall/movies in let's say Ramkhamhaeng, there are almost no farang, and the Thai's hold hands and kiss publicly and behave like in europe.

What an engaging theory. Do you know, the things listed above, will not help your integration into the society? You can integrate into the lives of your wealthy acquaintence, but it does not mean integration into the society.

Well...

What an engaging theory. Do you know, the things listed above, will not help your integration into the society? You can integrate into the lives of your wealthy acquaintence, but it does not mean integration into the society.

So what you are saying is, that i have to go live in Esan and pop a bottle of laokhao, to partly integrate into Thai society? What a load of "€#"

If my post made my it look like i cruise up and down soi 55, all day in a friends Merc, i'm not - not at all. I like the local Bangkok life, and i do feel that I'm getting closer and closer to my Thai friends here. Most of them are normal people, despite that some of them come from wealthy families, with normal interests, hopes, dreams; nice pleasant people

- I'm fairly new to this forum, but all ready i seems that people are so freaking biased in here: "All the Thai "hi-so's" are <deleted> that uses, their servants as human deck chairs, and all the rest of the Thai's are stupid, greedy and untrustworthy"

If all you guys think that, <deleted> are you doing here...To be honest, I don't get it? It seems, that just the fact that some of my friends comes from wealthy families, was a red cloth?!?

Not everybody here has bought the local Som Tum vendors's daughter, for a long time, that turned into looooooong time.

But Dear sir...please enlighten me, as i'm apparently a bit stupid - if learning Thai language, a Thai marriage, working with Thai's in a Thai orientated marked and socializing with Thai's - is NOT the way to integrate me, in Thai society.....then frankly I'm a bit lost?

• Like 2

Well...

So what you are saying is, that i have to go live in Esan and pop a bottle of laokhao, to partly integrate into Thai society? What a load of "€#"

If my post made my it look like i cruise up and down soi 55, all day in a friends Merc, i'm not - not at all. I like the local Bangkok life, and i do feel that I'm getting closer and closer to my Thai friends here. Most of them are normal people, despite that some of them come from wealthy families, with normal interests, hopes, dreams; nice pleasant people

- I'm fairly new to this forum, but all ready i seems that people are so freaking biased in here: "All the Thai "hi-so's" are <deleted> that uses, their servants as human deck chairs, and all the rest of the Thai's are stupid, greedy and untrustworthy"

If all you guys think that, <deleted> are you doing here...To be honest, I don't get it? It seems, that just the fact that some of my friends comes from wealthy families, was a red cloth?!?

Not everybody here has bought the local Som Tum vendors's daughter, for a long time, that turned into looooooong time.

But Dear sir...please enlighten me, as i'm apparently a bit stupid - if learning Thai language, a Thai marriage, working with Thai's in a Thai orientated marked and socializing with Thai's - is NOT the way to integrate me, in Thai society.....then frankly I'm a bit lost?

You are correct...you are very Thai now....and i bet you wear a yellow shirt on mundies to fit right in.

• Like 1

I would of thought not throwing a temper tantrum in public would go towards Thai integration.

Along with little things like a Thai passport, ID card, being able to own land.

Even then, we will always be foreigners to Thai officials.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I suppose an agreed upon definition of integration would help the debate.

To me integrated would mean to be indistinguishable from the citizenry.

You might think you can achieve it but it will only be from your own eyes. Everyone else is saying, Farang!

I think some people are well adjusted to Thailand and flow smoothly through their day to day life. But still everyone sees them and thinks Farang! And everything you do just like they do, still they are thinking to themselves, "he's doing pretty well for a Farang!

You can do all you want to copy and assimilate but you are still going to be the fat girl in the beauty contest. "She looks pretty for a Fat girl!"

• Like 2

You might think you can achieve it but it will only be from your own eyes. Everyone else is saying, Farang!

I think some people are well adjusted to Thailand and flow smoothly through their day to day life. But still everyone sees them and thinks Farang! And everything you do just like they do, still they are thinking to themselves, "he's doing pretty well for a Farang!

You can do all you want to copy and assimilate but you are still going to be the fat girl in the beauty contest. "She looks pretty for a Fat girl!"

Try this one for size:-

Social integration requires proficiency in an accepted common language of the society, acceptance of the laws of the society and adoption of a common set of values of the society. It does not require assimilation and it does not require persons to give up all of their culture, but it may require to forgo some aspects of their culture which are inconsistent with the laws and values of the society. In tolerant and open societies, members of minority groups can often use social integration to gain full access to the opportunities, rights and services available to the members of the mainstream of society. Bugger All!

I am still pondering the "common set of values" bit.

I am focused on the facts that the masses of Thai people think massive corruption is acceptable and running away from the scene of an injury accident you caused is normal, expected behavior. No wish to go there. Ever.

Edited by Jingthing

I would of thought not throwing a temper tantrum in public would go towards Thai integration.

Along with little things like a Thai passport, ID card, being able to own land.

Even then, we will always be foreigners to Thai officials.

Well, i wrote that IF i could, one day, I would not mind a citizenship - that would provide the passport, ID card, land ownership etc. you are talking about.

I someone reads my post as of me thinking, that I could ever be 100% Thai - I fully aware that I will never be that, nor do i wish that.

I don't really get it - in the west we are criticizing the immigrants, especially from the Middle East and Africa - for not learning the language, making ghetto's, not socializing, not respecting local costums....that is referred to as "NOT Integrating"

But when i try to do those things here, its looked upon as "who are you trying to fool....you will never be Thai...you are not integrating"

Why the difference?

I am focused on the facts that the masses of Thai people think massive corruption is acceptable and running away from the scene of an injury accident you caused is normal, expected behavior. No wish to go there. Ever.

I think we all know that poll's can be manipulated, in what ever way the asker wants to - I don't have a single friend that thinks that is acceptable...under any circumstances.

That many of us, and the Thai's in a everyday situation, caves in, and pop the idiotic BIB 200bt so he lets us drive on with out a hassle....dosen't make people love corruption.

I think we all know that poll's can be manipulated, in what ever way the asker wants to - I don't have a single friend that thinks that is acceptable...under any circumstances.

That many of us, and the Thai's in a everyday situation, caves in, and pop the idiotic BIB 200bt so he lets us drive on with out a hassle....dosen't make people love corruption.

It is not about loving it - widespread corruption is ACCEPTED (and perpetuated) in Thai society.

It is not about loving it - widespread corruption is ACCEPTED (and perpetuated) in Thai society.

Well, not among my friends - they hate it. But nor do they kid them self, that that can change it single handed.

That's what they say.

I don't really get it - in the west we are criticizing the immigrants, especially from the Middle East and Africa - for not learning the language, making ghetto's, not socializing, not respecting local costums....that is referred to as "NOT Integrating"

But when i try to do those things here, its looked upon as "who are you trying to fool....you will never be Thai...you are not integrating"

Why the difference?

Well in my country we admire immigrants who come over and find ways to fit in and become a productive and positive citizen. In Canada multitudes of newcomers are so integrated that you would never know they were from somewhere else. Of course we are also very ethnically diverse. But in Thai culture there is always a bit of us and them. They consider being Thai to be genetic, in the blood so to speak. So they might admire your attempts but you can't change your DNA and that is that.

Edited by canuckamuck

That's what they say.

Ohh...yes i forgot - my friends is Thai - witch mean that they lie to me, that is what you imply...right? What a sad sad sad person you are.

Why the difference?

Well in my country we admire immigrants who come over and find ways to fit in and become a productive and positive citizen. In Canada multitudes of newcomers are so integrated that you would never know they were from somewhere else. Of course we are also very ethnically diverse. But in Thai culture there is always a bit of us and them. They consider being Thai to be genetic, in the blood so to speak. So they might admire your attempts but you can't change your DNA and that is that.

Why are THEY? So all Thai persons are the same? <deleted> is wrong with you guys? You talk about xenophobia....take a look in the mirror, please. I personally know two Canadians, one of them is a notorious, racist arsehol_e - does that mean that 50% of all Canadians are that....? Christ blink.png

Why the difference?

Why are THEY? So all Thai persons are the same? <deleted> is wrong with you guys? You talk about xenophobia....take a look in the mirror, please. I personally know two Canadians, one of them is a notorious, racist arsehol_e - does that mean that 50% of all Canadians are that....? Christ blink.png

There's no reason for blasphemy, thanks. Your obscenities are quite sufficient to engender dislike.

If you can't maintain a civil tongue, can I suggest that you try to avoid losing your temper while posting on the internet

Cheers!

SC

Why the difference?

There's no reason for blasphemy, thanks. Your obscenities are quite sufficient to engender dislike.

If you can't maintain a civil tongue, can I suggest that you try to avoid losing your temper while posting on the internet

Cheers!

SC

Sorry...

I'm quite calm smile.png - english is not my native tongue, thous it might come out a bit harsher, than it was meant to. I was merely trying to make a point, i know two Canadians, one of them is not a pleasant guy - does that mean that 50% of Canadians are like that....of course it doesn't.

Why the difference?

Plus deep down they realize their country is so far behind the developed world in so many ways, it's suspect that someone would want to "downgrade" by trying to fit in here. Definitely more so in the "outside world" but even among educated Thais, why would you want to is what most of them are thinking.

^^ I never said all Thais are alike and I never said Canadians are alike. What I said was Thais don't consider we can be Thai because we weren't born Thai.

About Canadians I said many foreigners have become citizens and it is impossible to tell some new Canadians from people that were born there.

That doesn't mean they all fit in, and it doesn't mean everyone is the same.

Edited by canuckamuck

i worked in a thai owned company for 12 years with a mixed staff, earned thai baht, paid thai taxes, impregnated a thai woman, fathered a thai citizen, employ a thai domestic staff (of one), feed a thai cat, enjoy thai food, support locai thai businesses, speak the thai language and clean my ass with a bum gun.

what more do you want from me?

• Like 1

i worked in a thai owned company for 12 years with a mixed staff, earned thai baht, paid thai taxes, impregnated a thai woman, fathered a thai citizen, employ a thai domestic staff (of one), feed a thai cat, enjoy thai food, support locai thai businesses, speak the thai language and clean my ass with a bum gun.

what more do you want from me?

a loan ??

• Like 1