Any Chemical That Will Burn Through Hair + Unblocked Drain ?

YipYipYa123

you can actually buy what i believe is sulphuric acid from thai plumbing supply shops. It comes in a small red and white plastic bottle.

One caveat, this stuff is nasty and needs to be used with extreme caution. It reacts with water producing heat and noxious steam.

If standing water has not been minimised it will spash up.

I am speaking from experience, long sleeves, gloves and even goggles are recommended.

it stinks to high heaven as you would expect from anything sulphuric, so clear the family out.

it works though.

drano and similar products are also available, but with limited efficacy

There's a caustic powder sold at supermarkets, red white and blue can with the classic "plumbing trap" graphic on it, equivalent to "rotor rooter" brand back home (yes I can here you commonwealth types giggling, we yanks even spank our kids' fannies too).

Pour it down, stand well back and add boiling water and bob's your uncle.

All the big shopping chains have drain cleaner, most are in powder form. So you just add the powder on the drain you wants to clean, add some water and can hear it starts hissing. 10 min later flush with water and your drain is like new again.

Excellent stuff gentlemen ! Going to purchase it now smile.png

yep Gentlemen, excellent stuff whatever was mentioned. it's so excellent that it removes not only clogs but also dissolves PVC drainage pipes if used in high concentration and repeatedly.

cheesy.gif

yep Gentlemen, excellent stuff whatever was mentioned. it's so excellent that it removes not only clogs but also dissolves PVC drainage pipes if used in high concentration and repeatedly.

cheesy.gif

Then Naam with your wisdom, care to disclose which product would serve the OP better in it's purpose ?

:wai:

Edited by MJCM

you can actually buy what i believe is sulphuric acid from thai plumbing supply shops. It comes in a small red and white plastic bottle.

One caveat, this stuff is nasty and needs to be used with extreme caution. It reacts with water producing heat and noxious steam.

If standing water has not been minimised it will spash up.

I am speaking from experience, long sleeves, gloves and even goggles are recommended.

it stinks to high heaven as you would expect from anything sulphuric, so clear the family out.

it works though.

drano and similar products are also available, but with limited efficacy

and don't mix it with any other cleaner!! If it is the concentrated one: 90 %, than it really bites. Try first of the glove can really handle the acid. if it burns thru it it is worse than not wearing one. Glasses are a must. Good ventilation.

cheesy.gif

Then Naam with your wisdom, care to disclose which product would serve the OP better in it's purpose ?

wai.gif

as i mentioned, use whatever you use very carefully and don't overdo it! even the brand "Drano" which is meant to declog pipes can destroy them.

best of the day is the suggestion "sulphuric acid" and that perhaps in high concentration laugh.png

cheesy.gif

wai.gif

as i mentioned, use whatever you use very carefully and don't overdo it! even the brand "Drano" which is meant to declog pipes can destroy them.

best of the day is the suggestion "sulphuric acid" and that perhaps in high concentration laugh.png

Sulphuric acid will also destroy PVC over time so while a high concentration will certaily do the job, hair etc is going to be an ongoing issue so repeat applications are going to required. Hydrochloric acid would be a better bet as it would have very little effect on the PVC and remove any build up of limescale too. Pour maybe 2-300ml down and go out for the day as the gas is very nasty indeed.

YipYip, You say you live in a house. D'you by any chance have water jars filled by rainwater? If so, you might extol the healthy virtues of washing the hair in rainwater. My much beloved adopted this procedure when we moved up-country. She fills a bowl with water from the jar, squats prettily and washes, then conditions and rinses her hair. No clogged drains!

If you don't have rainwater, what about a hose from your main water supply? If squatting prettily is not an option, raise the bowl to an acceptable height.

You could also, of course, assemble the foursome, look suitably worried and seek their advice as to how to deal with the problem, citing destruction of the pipework by using acid as the reason for your concern.

Give it a shot. Prevention is so much better than cure.

YipYip, You say you live in a house. D'you by any chance have water jars filled by rainwater? If so, you might extol the healthy virtues of washing the hair in rainwater. My much beloved adopted this procedure when we moved up-country. She fills a bowl with water from the jar, squats prettily and washes, then conditions and rinses her hair. No clogged drains!

If you don't have rainwater, what about a hose from your main water supply? If squatting prettily is not an option, raise the bowl to an acceptable height.

You could also, of course, assemble the foursome, look suitably worried and seek their advice as to how to deal with the problem, citing destruction of the pipework by using acid as the reason for your concern.

cheesy.gif

Gentlemen, gentlemen, what is this fascination with acids and alkalis. Hair and associated build ups are organic and high in proteins/ keratins etc tec. Quite often acid and alkali loosen up attached species such as this by actually dissolving the substrate to which it is all attached. in addition HCl and H2SO4 are particularly nasty and dangerous.

Go to local store and get multi-enzyme mixture.. then dissolve it isn warmish ( not hot water ) and pour it down drain. The enzymes will start munching on the hair and loosen it up without attack on your plumbing system.It may take a few foes and leave it on for a few hours however it will work without the collaterol damage that acids and alkalis cause.

happy free flow drains to you all

I have plastic hair traps over all my shower drains. This keeps the hair from going down the drain and clogging them. Then you just pick up the hair and toss it in the waste bin. I bought them from one of the local stores like lotus, big c, or homepro. They are super cheap (<100thb each)

Edited by Jayman

Gentlemen, gentlemen, what is this fascination with acids and alkalis. Hair and associated build ups are organic and high in proteins/ keratins etc tec. Quite often acid and alkali loosen up attached species such as this by actually dissolving the substrate to which it is all attached. in addition HCl and H2SO4 are particularly nasty and dangerous.

Go to local store and get multi-enzyme mixture.. then dissolve it isn warmish ( not hot water ) and pour it down drain. The enzymes will start munching on the hair and loosen it up without attack on your plumbing system.It may take a few foes and leave it on for a few hours however it will work without the collaterol damage that acids and alkalis cause.

happy free flow drains to you all

Do you have a name for this multi-enzyme mixture? Not sure I know how to get that point across at my local hardware store here.

Stop the hair getting into the drain at source and you wont need any chemicals.

As said above, plastic hair traps or make your own using wire mesh grilles over the drains and plugholes.

The bulk of the responses above are typical western overkill to a simple problem. Try thinking outside the box...coffee1.gif

To remove the hair causing the initial blockage, push a length of semi-rigid wire with a curved end down and through the trap and hook the obstruction back up and out.

Edited by SimonD

As said above, plastic hair traps or make your own using wire mesh grilles over the drains and plugholes.

The bulk of the responses above are typical western overkill to a simple problem. Try thinking outside the box...coffee1.gif

To remove the hair causing the initial blockage, push a length of semi-rigid wire with a curved end down and through the trap and hook the obstruction back up and out.

Actually, for like 50 thb you can buy one of those drain snakes from Amorn. I have one and it's several meters long. It's like a long flexible spring that you push down the drain and rotate and it snags all the crap blocking the drain and then you yank it out.

flexi-snake-drain-unclogger.jpg

Edited by Jayman

cool.png You ned to go down to the local hardware shop,and ask for "Soda Fai". It is basically a very strong Lye, (Sodium Hydroxide). Be very careful with this stuff as it is extremely reactive . Put about a half of cup of it and rinse with enough water to wash it down the drain. It will probably come in a very large bag , so double or triple bag it for storage and keep it in a very dry place away from children and others. It is very nasty stuff and usually in strengths way greater than what you could find in Farangland. Repeat as necessary,.

LL

cheesy.gif

or like this...?

post-36430-0-21093600-1339717496_thumb.j

Sulphuric acid will also destroy PVC over time so while a high concentration will certaily do the job, hair etc is going to be an ongoing issue so repeat applications are going to required. Hydrochloric acid would be a better bet as it would have very little effect on the PVC and remove any build up of limescale too. Pour maybe 2-300ml down and go out for the day as the gas is very nasty indeed.

Not correct. PVC is resistant to Sulfuric acid but NOT resistant to Hydrochloric acid. Chemical resistance of PVC pipe

I use Vixol cleaner which comes in 10-32% sulphuric acid concentrations. I put water in first then add the Vixol and let it sit for a couple of hours then flush it thoroughly. Been using this method for years with no problem with the PVC. Not recommended if you have metal pipes though. wink.png

With the Draino like crystals It is the exothermic reaction that gets the blue plastic drain pipes.

All drains lead to.... so in Thailand it is usually grease from the kitchen that ends up clogging up the drains. One little 50 baht green packet once is while will keep the drains grease free.

I'd say try a high pressure flush with water before using chemicals...after they do the job the chemicals have to 'go somewhere' and there usually is no provision for safe 'off site disposal' when clearing household drains...

or maybe you can get the wimmin to shave their heids...

Actually, for like 50 thb you can buy one of those drain snakes from Amorn. I have one and it's several meters long. It's like a long flexible spring that you push down the drain and rotate and it snags all the crap blocking the drain and then you yank it out.

Ah, that looks like what I need. Connected up the basin to the pipe in the wall ( after waiting over a year to do that job ) of the new bathroom, and it didn't drain. On investigation, found to be blocked by a termite nest, that must go down past the right angle bend.

Do they stock them in Big C?

I have plastic hair traps over all my shower drains. This keeps the hair from going down the drain and clogging them. Then you just pick up the hair and toss it in the waste bin. I bought them from one of the local stores like lotus, big c, or homepro. They are super cheap (<100thb each)

We have the ordinary steel trap with small holes over the shower drain, and it is sufficient to stop her hair going down the drain. Costs a few baht.

i can recommend the use of the above drain snake, we used them all the time in my plumbing business back in uk. if you can access the pipe from outside all the better, feed the snake into the pipe twisting as you go the twisting motion will hook into the hair extract and repeat Finally flush with plenty of water

i once pulled a 2 foot long hair snake from a bath waste once told the lady come look ive cleared the blockage she ran out of the room gagging very funny my mate thought

Ah, that looks like what I need. Connected up the basin to the pipe in the wall ( after waiting over a year to do that job ) of the new bathroom, and it didn't drain. On investigation, found to be blocked by a termite nest, that must go down past the right angle bend.

Do they stock them in Big C?

I bought mine from Amorn on the basement floor of Tukcom in Pattaya for like 50thb. I have also seen them sold in Homeworks but they were priced at like 700thb.