Canadian Sisters Found Dead In Thai Resort

webfact

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another gloomy case from the Thai tourism industry.

I am absolutely astonished by the number of tourist death in Thailand. I would like to see a research of the tourist death around the world comparing to Thailand. I bet Thailand is going to be on the top. Would the Thai authorities disclose the real number? I bet, no.

And at the same time, I would guess that most tourist destinations around the world would be hesitant to publish any real numbers of tourist deaths. Just not good for business.

Thai Department of Disease Control speculated that pesticide used as vermin control may have contributed to the deaths.

Meanwhile Thai forensics are the joke of the world. Downtown Inn deaths occurred 16 months ago and they are still speculating as to the cause.

There are websites that have sprung up relating to Thailand Travel Tragedies "unexplained deaths, aircrashes never conclusively investigated, murders, hotel (and nightclub) fires where fire exits were either blocked off or locked

'to prevent guests leaving without paying' the list is infinite. If the average Thai in the street only knew what the world thinks they would hang their collective heads in shame.

And now another two innocent young female tourists cut down before they have even begun to live. Don't bank on a definitive and exhaustive investigation into the lates on Phi Phi

Were they robbed??

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing....... If their valuables were missing certainly gives more credence to the poisoning angle. Reminds me of that Thai guy that was poisoning van drivers and stealing their vans. Odd the news article did not say one way or another if valuables were taken.. Maybe look for their mobile phones ??

Identified as sisters Noemi (26) and Audrey Belanger (20), Canadian citizens.

http://www.ch7.com/n...&p=376&d=192829

http://www.mcot.net/...age/377324.html

At the end of the Manager article it adds an interesting snippet of information:

Journalists added that the death of the two Canadian girls is similar to the death of two American tourists killed here but in a different room 3 years ago. At that time the local police suppressed the news until relatives kicked up a fuss in the foreign press and the story leaked out. In this case again influential people in Krabi are trying to suppress the news but it's leaked out.

http://www.manager.co.th/South/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9550000073891

Edited by katana

My guess is that this has been caused by over zealous use of some sort of cyanide based insecticide that was used in the room to treat bedbugs or such.

Often the insecticide will come in granule form that only gives off its gas when temperature rises.

Zyklon B was one such insecticide that was put to use for killing people. Symptoms of the corpses when removed from gas chambers were similar with blue extremities and bleeding gums.

From Wiki

Zyklon B is still in production in the Czech Republic in the factory Draslovka Kolín a.s. in the city of Kolín, under the tradename Uragan D2, and is sold for the purpose of eradicating insects and small animals.

Suspected poisoning

“There was a lot of vomit in the room, and both bodies showed similar signs [of trauma]. They had skin lesions and it seemed that they had bled from the gums. Also, their fingernails and toenails were blue,”

Lt Col Rat Somboon of Krabi Provincial Police.

Did they stay at Laleena Guesthouse ? A Norwegian and an American lady died there mysteriously two years ago within hours of each other after they became sick. They exact cause never came to light, some alleged poisoning. The autopsies did not produce any results, except that food poisoning was exempted.

A friends girfriend at the time also died at this hotel from respiratory failure after a day out diving.....He was devastated... again no cause found

"They had skin lesions and it seemed that they had bled from the gums. Also, their fingernails and toenails were blue"

It sounds like the symptoms of a diving accident. isn't it ?

You can be that drunk and still type? Kudos to you sir!

With all respect, people in this area are not diving in their bathtubs.....imagine there's no heaven.....

After repeated attempts failed to rouse the women, the maid obtained a master key to open the door.

They all have a Master key to get into the rooms, no maid has to "obtain" one............wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

Thai Department of Disease Control speculated that pesticide used as vermin control may have contributed to the deaths.

Meanwhile Thai forensics are the joke of the world. Downtown Inn deaths occurred 16 months ago and they are still speculating as to the cause.

There are websites that have sprung up relating to Thailand Travel Tragedies "unexplained deaths, aircrashes never conclusively investigated, murders, hotel (and nightclub) fires where fire exits were either blocked off or locked

'to prevent guests leaving without paying' the list is infinite. If the average Thai in the street only knew what the world thinks they would hang their collective heads in shame.

And now another two innocent young female tourists cut down before they have even begun to live. Don't bank on a definitive and exhaustive investigation into the lates on Phi Phi

Yes, this is not Kansas. It's a third world country, so what would you expect?

1. Nail abnormalities: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
    www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003247.htm Poisons: Arsenic poisoning may cause white lines and horizontal ridges. Silver intake can cause a blue nail. Medications: Certain antibiotics can cause lifting of ...

2. Blue Fingernails
    www.buzzle.com/articles/blue-fingernails.html 14 Dec 2011 – Blue fingernails is a medical condition which requires proper ... of abnormal hemoglobin, i.e. methemoglobin or cyanide poisoning in blood.

3. Fingernails and your Health
    www.articlesbase.com › Health 23 Jan 2011 – Blue nails - lung and heart problems; drug reaction; blood toxicity from toomuch silver or copper. An isolated dark-blue band in the nail bed ...

dont forget though it is the " hub " of third world countriesrolleyes.gif

How about not being poisoned, stabbed, shot or scammed while on holiday. Seems reasonable to me and I've been to a lot of 3rd world shitholes.

In spite of floods and political unrest, there were 19,098,323 foreign visitors to Thailand in 2011. Given the enourmous numbers of visitors, I'm sure that percentage-wise, the number of farang deaths is a tiny amount, probably much lower than that many other countries. The sensationalist headlines that this website constantly reports make it seem like a dangerous place. It's not.

You don't really think those numbers are accurate do you? I'm a resident of Thailand. I've exited and re-entered the country a half a dozen times in the past year. Do you think I was counted not at all, as a resident (non foreign visitor), or once, or 6 times?

I think that 'foreign visitor' number is actually the amount of times somebody, somewhere was recorded crossing a border into the kingdom.

What might be more telling is the number of Thai tourist visas issued every year. I wonder where in the world we could possibly find out that information......?????

Edited by bigbamboo

What do young women find attractive about Thailand, its either stinking hot or teeming down rain.

Young & older men the attractions are obvious.

Still a terrible tragedy, their families must be devastated.

RIP.

Did they stay at Laleena Guesthouse ? A Norwegian and an American lady died there mysteriously two years ago within hours of each other after they became sick. They exact cause never came to light, some alleged poisoning. The autopsies did not produce any results, except that food poisoning was exempted.

Thx for posting this, just want do the same. As far as I remember the reason of the death never was mentioned... Hope it will examinated a little bit better this time. A second case near similar like the one two years ago is a little bit more then suspicious sad.png

May they rest in peace, my condolences to familys and friends of the girls and a prayer for a explanation of the Thai authorities asap

I realise that with nothing resembling CSI Bangkok ('we never get our man') the chances of finding the tragic cause of death of these two poor girls is slight.

But the initial evidence would suggest a sudden and catastrophic reduction in oxygen supply and physical trauma.. For this to happen to two individuals in the same room at the same time..... well that's speculation.

Edited by bigbamboo

horrible news, it will be good to find out what the cause was of their untimely demise.

I am getting less and less confidant these days in inviting my 19-year old daughter to come back here.....she has visited me twice and never left my side, surely one of these times she will want to explore alone but stories like this make me nervous.

Canadian papers haven't picked it up yet....

So why havent you informed them yet? ... if you did not already. Its the only way to make it a little bit more safe here, make things, scams and all popular in your very own country, there is no other chance the authorities here will respond.

Btw. there was a rumor going on here about a gas burglars are using before entering a house while people sleep in there..... may be......???

Seems like police may have a serial killer on their hands why don't they check the staff from the other murder scenes perhaps he or she is moving around. The land of smiles my ass seems like the land of dome and gloom now. What is happening to these people between conning old men and young out of their hard earned money now they have resorted to killing them for it. Wake up Thai police start doing your job, stop sticking your heads in the sand thinking it will go away we are not stupid we know what's going on its time to restore the integrity of your country and police force tell the truth for once because you are fooling no one only yourselves

And you don't suspect the Thai police in all of this?

The guys who arrive at the scene and gratis with 'food poisoning, but we aren't sure yet, but we'll investigate'....................

These officers are always on the scene first, disturbing the evidence....... and a little ghost tells me why they do.

So before accusing anybody but the BIB themselves......... they need to be investigated first 1st premier tee neung initially and so forth, cos I reckon they are the same self culprits.

-mel.

So easy to overlook details, isn't it lads?..... I'm speaking to the Thai police now!!!!!!! Not literally, I mean in words , here. whistling.gif

Edited by MEL1

I realise that with nothing reembling CSI Bangkok ('we never get our man') the chances of finding the tragic cause of death of these two poor girls is slight.

But the initial physical evidence suggests a sudden and catastrophic reduction in oxygen supply. For this to happen to two individuals in the same room at the same time.... well, I think you should draw your own conclusions.

There is a CSI Unit in Surat Thani Town.It may not be up to Miami or NYC standards,

but I have meet them and they take their work seriously.

When I said, "But what happens to your facts after they are presented is something else?"

I got a look, and silence, then a slight nod.

• Like 1

I wonder if they ever heard of "red tide" in this country? Probably because Thailand isn't one of those countries where it actually occurs... but with the weird s--t happening in this world, changing currents, weather etc. Perhaps there ~might~ be some areas where dinoflagellates are propagating ... in other words, this might be shellfish poisoning. I dunno -- beach resort... maybe seafood... doesn't take an Einstein to make a wild guess like this.

The symptoms described sure as hell seem to match shellfish poisoning (and a lot of other kinds of poisoning as well... but just sayin').

The problem is still Thai culture though -- they wouldn't want to lose face, and even if this isn't their fault... they'll hide the evidence so God knows we'll never figure it out. It'll just go down as yet another 'mystery'.

My sympathies for the family. I see a lot of opinions here about how bad it is here; but don't see anything to back it up. I feel a lot safer here than in US and have felt that way for 40+ years. A lot of complaints and suspicions about Thai Authorities but It took the US half a year to track down the cause of deaths from Legionaries disease and then the cause was determined to be a bacteria that no one knew existed. If someone has some statistics to back up claims that Thailand is so bad; I would like to see it. I'm waiting!

• Like 1

I think that 'foreign visitor' number is actually the amount of times somebody, somewhere was recorded crossing a border into the kingdom.

Yes, there are a lot of people doing border/visa runs every month or so.