Canadian Sisters Found Dead In Thai Resort

webfact

My sympathies for the family. I see a lot of opinions here about how bad it is here; but don't see anything to back it up. I feel a lot safer here than in US and have felt that way for 40+ years. A lot of complaints and suspicions about Thai Authorities but It took the US half a year to track down the cause of deaths from Legionaries disease and then the cause was determined to be a bacteria that no one knew existed. If someone has some statistics to back up claims that Thailand is so bad; I would like to see it. I'm waiting!

mate your kidding right?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise that with nothing resembling CSI Bangkok ('we never get our man') the chances of finding the tragic cause of death of these two poor girls is slight.

But the initial evidence would suggest a sudden and catastrophic reduction in oxygen supply and physical trauma.. For this to happen to two individuals in the same room at the same time..... well that's speculation.

But we have CSI Thaivisa right here. Lots of posters seem to have solved this case from their armchairs already.

• Like 2

My sympathies for the family. I see a lot of opinions here about how bad it is here; but don't see anything to back it up. I feel a lot safer here than in US and have felt that way for 40+ years. A lot of complaints and suspicions about Thai Authorities but It took the US half a year to track down the cause of deaths from Legionaries disease and then the cause was determined to be a bacteria that no one knew existed. If someone has some statistics to back up claims that Thailand is so bad; I would like to see it. I'm waiting!

mate your kidding right?

lol, exactly.

horrible news, it will be good to find out what the cause was of their untimely demise.

I am getting less and less confidant these days in inviting my 19-year old daughter to come back here.....she has visited me twice and never left my side, surely one of these times she will want to explore alone but stories like this make me nervous.

Canadian papers haven't picked it up yet....

So why havent you informed them yet? ... if you did not already. Its the only way to make it a little bit more safe here, make things, scams and all popular in your very own country, there is no other chance the authorities here will respond.

Btw. there was a rumor going on here about a gas burglars are using before entering a house while people sleep in there..... may be......???

Being reported in Canada now....http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/06/16/canadian-deaths-thailand.html

• Like 1

First of all my thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this tragic time for them

If you look at this link for statistics for UK citizens for 2008 http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf

You can see that statistically you have a greater chance of dying or having an accident in Thailand.

The highest number of hospitalisations occurred in Spain (741), followed by Greece (433), France

(203) and Thailand (198).

As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand,

followed by Greece, Egypt and India

DEATHS

The facts There were 5,629 reported deaths of UK citizens abroad including natural causes, accidental deaths and murders There were 1,825 British deaths in Spain, 611 in France, 438 in Germany, 288 in Thailand As a proportion of visitors British deaths are most likely to occur in Thailand, Germany,

India and Cyprus

There are other factors that this list does not look at.

A large proportion of deaths in Thailand of UK citizens are from natural, age related causes. Frankly we all know guys who drink way to much, we all know guys who have health problems (and often drink way to much). They are often found dead, alone in a room. (sad but happens all to often). This is also a country with lax safety and driving standards. Just before Christmas an 18 year old Brit was killed in Pattaya driving a powerful bike, he would never have been allowed to drive in the UK.

We hear of many moped accidents where the Falang driver was not wearing a helmet.

I am not excusing the death toll amongst tourists and ex-pats in Thailand, simply pointing out there are many factors that contribute

Above all people come to Thailand on holiday. they drink more than they normally would and sometimes make stupid decisions. Along with things not being as safe as they are used to 'back home'

Thai Department of Disease Control speculated that pesticide used as vermin control may have contributed to the deaths.

Meanwhile Thai forensics are the joke of the world. Downtown Inn deaths occurred 16 months ago and they are still speculating as to the cause.

There are websites that have sprung up relating to Thailand Travel Tragedies "unexplained deaths, aircrashes never conclusively investigated, murders, hotel (and nightclub) fires where fire exits were either blocked off or locked

'to prevent guests leaving without paying' the list is infinite. If the average Thai in the street only knew what the world thinks they would hang their collective heads in shame.

And now another two innocent young female tourists cut down before they have even begun to live. Don't bank on a definitive and exhaustive investigation into the lates on Phi Phi

please grow up,how many people die there in your country, and sure not from intecticide, most likely bad drugs, most people die same why as they die in there home country. ok we have rain we have flood, we have bad guy and bad lady, but i still love it here. thanks to all thai to make me feel so good

• Like 1

Did they stay at Laleena Guesthouse ? A Norwegian and an American lady died there mysteriously two years ago within hours of each other after they became sick. They exact cause never came to light, some alleged poisoning. The autopsies did not produce any results, except that food poisoning was exempted.

Thx for posting this, just want do the same. As far as I remember the reason of the death never was mentioned... Hope it will examinated a little bit better this time. A second case near similar like the one two years ago is a little bit more then suspicious sad.png

May they rest in peace, my condolences to familys and friends of the girls and a prayer for a explanation of the Thai authorities asap

This is really awful... These girls stayed at the Phi Phi Palms Residence - anyone knows if it's close to Laleena Guesthouse ?

It's actually eerily similar to the case at Laleena 3 years ago.

In 2009, a few days after that incident, the fiancee of the American girl who died posted the following:

My name is Ryan, I was Jill's fiancee. We were staying at a guesthouse called laleena. I have to think that Jill died of a poison substance. We got our room about 11 in the morning. It was our first room with A/C in about a month of traveling through Asia. So we decided to just hang out in the room all day and catch up on some needed sleep. I am not a great sleeper, Jill on the other hand was awesome she could sleep anytime, anywhere. Aroun 1 o clock I was antsy so I went to go use the internet. I was gone about an hour. I went back to the room hung out with Jill for about an hour. We were both hungry so I decided I would go get us some food, so we could enjoy the A/C. I was gone about 45 minutes. I came beack we ate our food and hung out for another hour or 2. We then decided to go out walking around. Jill started saying she wasnt feeling that well (probably the burger) but being the trooper she was, we stayed out for a few hours. Ate some dinner , watched the sunset. Around midnight Jill said she was still feeling ill. She wanted to go lie down, but told me to stay out for a bit, cause we were hanging out with some new friends. I went back to the room at about 2 am, to find jill in some real pain. She started vomiting not too long after. I layed down in bed with her to try to comfort her. Probably 2 hours later, I started feelin very ill. I started vomiting. feeling dizzy. This is when I realized Jill was not doing well at all. She started turning blue. I ran outside grabbed a utility cart, briught it back, picked Jill up and put her in it. I ran all the way to the hospital. They started doing CPR to no avail.

I found out later that there is a water treatment plant right behind the guesthouse. I feel that jill was poisoned by a chemical from that plant. She spent about 5 more hours in the room than I did. She was just breathing in the fumes for so long. The only reason I did not get deathly ill, is that I kept getting these short breaks from the air in the room.

The next day, a woman from Norway died right in the room next door, her traveling companion was admitted to the ICU. All thrree of them had the exact same symptoms. That seems like a hell of a coincidence. I just want people to know to be careful of the Laleena guesthouse. Whatever is there it killed 2 people and put one in intensive care, in 2 days. That doesnt sound like food poisoning, and I doubt two A/C units started pumping in gas on the same day. There has to be something in the air from that water treatment plant..

• Like 1

This is really horrible.

Question: Has anyone ever heard any similar stories from nearby countries? I have never heard anything like this after the previous cases in CM and on Phi Phi. What is it about Thailand and these poison deaths?

horrible news, it will be good to find out what the cause was of their untimely demise.

I am getting less and less confidant these days in inviting my 19-year old daughter to come back here.....she has visited me twice and never left my side, surely one of these times she will want to explore alone but stories like this make me nervous.

Canadian papers haven't picked it up yet....

So why havent you informed them yet? ... if you did not already. Its the only way to make it a little bit more safe here, make things, scams and all popular in your very own country, there is no other chance the authorities here will respond.

Btw. there was a rumor going on here about a gas burglars are using before entering a house while people sleep in there..... may be......???

Being reported in Canada now....http://www.cbc.ca/ne...s-thailand.html

I just love it how Western media makes it look like Thailand is a professional country where a proper investigation will take place.

The dumbest news report on this topic.

A reporter who has never been here (but assumes Thailand has the same standards etc) reports using a tone that makes it look like this matter is being dealt with and will be resolved soon.

Why don't all these nations realize Thailand is backward, and add to it dollops of hate, racism, and xenophobia by the natives against ALL farangs.

Edited by AngryParent

First of all my thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this tragic time for them
If you look at this link for statistics for UK citizens for 2008 http://www.traveldailynews.com/images/upload/File/british-abroad-report-240809.pdf You can see that statistically you have a greater chance of dying or having an accident in Thailand.
The highest number of hospitalisations occurred in Spain (741), followed by Greece (433), France (203) and Thailand (198). As a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand, followed by Greece, Egypt and India
DEATHS The facts There were 5,629 reported deaths of UK citizens abroad including natural causes, accidental deaths and murders There were 1,825 British deaths in Spain, 611 in France, 438 in Germany, 288 in Thailand As a proportion of visitors British deaths are most likely to occur in Thailand, Germany, India and Cyprus
There are other factors that this list does not look at. A large proportion of deaths in Thailand of UK citizens are from natural, age related causes. Frankly we all know guys who drink way to much, we all know guys who have health problems (and often drink way to much). They are often found dead, alone in a room. (sad but happens all to often). This is also a country with lax safety and driving standards. Just before Christmas an 18 year old Brit was killed in Pattaya driving a powerful bike, he would never have been allowed to drive in the UK. We hear of many moped accidents where the Falang driver was not wearing a helmet. I am not excusing the death toll amongst tourists and ex-pats in Thailand, simply pointing out there are many factors that contribute Above all people come to Thailand on holiday. they drink more than they normally would and sometimes make stupid decisions. Along with things not being as safe as they are used to 'back home'

Good say, you right i live 4 year here never had problems, i am from Belgium i think it is more safe here

Always feel sorry when lives are gone in a short, mysterious circumstances without any chance of being with loved ones, writing last wishes, hugs etc. Wish there is closure to the families somehow and those suffering after the fact.

While the whole story to us audience is shocking news, mainly because we are not there, and only "news" we have are report that stresses the word "poisoning". It sorts of imprinted in the mind now. Whether negative or not.

So take it into a macro level. "Poisoning". What does it mean? And how where why, who?

1. Is it "food poisoning"? Is it poisoning from drinking alcohol at the restaurant, at a food stall, at the notorious Full Moon Parties?

2. Is it poisoning of medication via contra-indication? E.g. medication that are not supposed to be taken together, allergy, wrong medication, mixed with food, spicy, alcohol, wrong alcohol, fake liquor badly mixed?

3. Is it a purposely poisoning? Someone put poison onto the water or drink or food? Friend? New friend? Full moon party fake friend? Robbery friend? Staff?

4. Poisoning from accidental consumption? E.g. debris of rat poison positioned at top of ceiling fell like minute crumbs onto her unlucky glass of water that was lying directly under?

5. Poisoning because of drugs, be it on purpose? Or not, someone spiked it, at party? At drinks stall?

My condolences. Poor things. They must have suffered horribly and been overcome too quickly to ask for help.

This doesn't sound like any of the possible accidental causes you suggest. It sounds more like poisoning caused by arsenic or some kind of pesticide or rat poison.

heheeh I have been coming to Thailand for 40 years no mafis problems, no scams, and no one hoping I die. Bad things happen to good people all of the time world wide. My best wishes to the family in their loss.

i don't think 'heheeh' has any place in this thread, no matter what the context.

• Like 2

... Why don't all these nations realize Thailand is backward, and add to it dollops of hate, racism, and xenophobia by the natives against ALL farangs.

Sounds like you have the exact, same, abhorrent attributes you charge your CHOSEN hosts with... unless of course you are not living here. But, if you are, I am surprised you are still here. What is keeping you exactly?

RIP, condolences, etc, etc..

• Like 1

Always feel sorry when lives are gone in a short, mysterious circumstances without any chance of being with loved ones, writing last wishes, hugs etc. Wish there is closure to the families somehow and those suffering after the fact.

While the whole story to us audience is shocking news, mainly because we are not there, and only "news" we have are report that stresses the word "poisoning". It sorts of imprinted in the mind now. Whether negative or not.

So take it into a macro level. "Poisoning". What does it mean? And how where why, who?

1. Is it "food poisoning"? Is it poisoning from drinking alcohol at the restaurant, at a food stall, at the notorious Full Moon Parties?

2. Is it poisoning of medication via contra-indication? E.g. medication that are not supposed to be taken together, allergy, wrong medication, mixed with food, spicy, alcohol, wrong alcohol, fake liquor badly mixed?

3. Is it a purposely poisoning? Someone put poison onto the water or drink or food? Friend? New friend? Full moon party fake friend? Robbery friend? Staff?

4. Poisoning from accidental consumption? E.g. debris of rat poison positioned at top of ceiling fell like minute crumbs onto her unlucky glass of water that was lying directly under?

5. Poisoning because of drugs, be it on purpose? Or not, someone spiked it, at party? At drinks stall?

My condolences. Poor things. They must have suffered horribly and been overcome too quickly to ask for help.

This doesn't sound like any of the possible accidental causes you suggest. It sounds more like poisoning caused by arsenic or some kind of pesticide or rat poison.

i eat only thai food from street i never see somebody die , is see thai and myself drink thai whiskey, drunk sometime but not die..

no 2 at same time and spicy food keep me up 5555

that is more probably.

20 and 26 they are healthy

some party you not go to,

Did they stay at Laleena Guesthouse ? A Norwegian and an American lady died there mysteriously two years ago within hours of each other after they became sick. They exact cause never came to light, some alleged poisoning. The autopsies did not produce any results, except that food poisoning was exempted.

Thx for posting this, just want do the same. As far as I remember the reason of the death never was mentioned... Hope it will examinated a little bit better this time. A second case near similar like the one two years ago is a little bit more then suspicious sad.png

May they rest in peace, my condolences to familys and friends of the girls and a prayer for a explanation of the Thai authorities asap

This is really awful... These girls stayed at the Phi Phi Palms Residence - anyone knows if it's close to Laleena Guesthouse ?

It's actually eerily similar to the case at Laleena 3 years ago.

In 2009, a few days after that incident, the fiancee of the American girl who died posted the following:

My name is Ryan, I was Jill's fiancee. We were staying at a guesthouse called laleena. I have to think that Jill died of a poison substance. We got our room about 11 in the morning. It was our first room with A/C in about a month of traveling through Asia. So we decided to just hang out in the room all day and catch up on some needed sleep. I am not a great sleeper, Jill on the other hand was awesome she could sleep anytime, anywhere. Aroun 1 o clock I was antsy so I went to go use the internet. I was gone about an hour. I went back to the room hung out with Jill for about an hour. We were both hungry so I decided I would go get us some food, so we could enjoy the A/C. I was gone about 45 minutes. I came beack we ate our food and hung out for another hour or 2. We then decided to go out walking around. Jill started saying she wasnt feeling that well (probably the burger) but being the trooper she was, we stayed out for a few hours. Ate some dinner , watched the sunset. Around midnight Jill said she was still feeling ill. She wanted to go lie down, but told me to stay out for a bit, cause we were hanging out with some new friends. I went back to the room at about 2 am, to find jill in some real pain. She started vomiting not too long after. I layed down in bed with her to try to comfort her. Probably 2 hours later, I started feelin very ill. I started vomiting. feeling dizzy. This is when I realized Jill was not doing well at all. She started turning blue. I ran outside grabbed a utility cart, briught it back, picked Jill up and put her in it. I ran all the way to the hospital. They started doing CPR to no avail.

I found out later that there is a water treatment plant right behind the guesthouse. I feel that jill was poisoned by a chemical from that plant. She spent about 5 more hours in the room than I did. She was just breathing in the fumes for so long. The only reason I did not get deathly ill, is that I kept getting these short breaks from the air in the room.

The next day, a woman from Norway died right in the room next door, her traveling companion was admitted to the ICU. All thrree of them had the exact same symptoms. That seems like a hell of a coincidence. I just want people to know to be careful of the Laleena guesthouse. Whatever is there it killed 2 people and put one in intensive care, in 2 days. That doesnt sound like food poisoning, and I doubt two A/C units started pumping in gas on the same day. There has to be something in the air from that water treatment plant..

THANKS eggshen, and BEFORE ANYBODY here is assuming things or playing Police or Investigator he or she should READ THIS .... explaines a lot... at least to me.

And YES, I am absolutely sure IF the same thing was happend somebody wll cover and trying to hide it !!!

My condolences to the family and friends.

Their rapid deaths and symptoms seem to fit Dengue Hemorraghic Fever.

And so we have another armchair amateur pathologist.

Please Google in Dengue fever and see the details about this virus for yourself, as I can’t be bothered to explain.

I’ve had Dengue fever, twice, and can assure you it was not Dengue fever in the tragic case of these two sisters.

What is the point of making speculations? We have probably not been given the clear facts by the media and will have to wait for if and when more information comes to light.

I think more thought and respect should be given towards the family of these girls and a simple RIP and messages of condolences is more befitting during this time.

I have had Dengue Fever as well.

I said "Dengue Hemorraghic Fever" (which is different) and qualified it with "it seemed to fit" which is a speculation.

You however;

"can assure you it was not Dengue fever"

Are you a pathologist or tropical disease specialist with ESP?

From our actual experience with DHF, I'll agree and say that's not what these girls.

My wife just had Dengue HF she caught on Koh Lipe this March. It's not a rapid onset thing like what these girls experienced. She slowly got worse from Dengue fever (puking/diarrhea/stomach pain/intense headaches/body aches etc.) until we got her to the mainland and she was diagnosed with DHF with a 5 minute blood test at a clinic. What I thought was a shaving rash on her legs was actually tiny droplets of blood coming through her skin and her bloodshot eyes looked like she'd been on a 6 month bender. We immediately rushed her to Hat Yai hospital were they monitored her platelets for 2 days to make sure she didn't go to the next potentially fatal stage, Dengue Shock Syndrome. Her platelet levels started to recover after 2 days and she was released the day we were leaving for Canada. We believe she's had Dengue fever at least once before. There are 4 varieties and you can't get the same one twice but getting one of the others will be worse the next time. Months later and she's still losing hair and skin on her hands and feet. It can take months to fully recover.

Dengue is getting worse in many areas of the world, and everyone should be aware so you don't fob it off as something else, but IMO this case isn't it.

My condolences to the family. Do they know where in Canada they came from? I've heard nothing on the Canadian news here.

EDIT: Nevermind, got to the end of the thread and saw the CBC article.

Edited by RoninTech

What do young women find attractive about Thailand, its either stinking hot or teeming down rain.

Young & older men the attractions are obvious.

Still a terrible tragedy, their families must be devastated.

RIP.

Seriously?! Get out to some of the islands which still have areas that feel like paradise on Earth.

• Like 1

I wonder if they ever heard of "red tide" in this country? Probably because Thailand isn't one of those countries where it actually occurs... but with the weird s--t happening in this world, changing currents, weather etc. Perhaps there ~might~ be some areas where dinoflagellates are propagating ... in other words, this might be shellfish poisoning. I dunno -- beach resort... maybe seafood... doesn't take an Einstein to make a wild guess like this.

The symptoms described sure as hell seem to match shellfish poisoning (and a lot of other kinds of poisoning as well... but just sayin').

The problem is still Thai culture though -- they wouldn't want to lose face, and even if this isn't their fault... they'll hide the evidence so God knows we'll never figure it out. It'll just go down as yet another 'mystery'.

puffer fish.........poisons loads of people in Thailand.

'Good say, you right i live 4 year here never had problems, i am from Belgium i think it is more safe here.'

Thailand is far more dangerous than Belgium once you take off those rose-tinted specs off and garner a little bit of awareness.

you think????

NOOOOOOOOOOO

Thai Department of Disease Control speculated that pesticide used as vermin control may have contributed to the deaths.

Meanwhile Thai forensics are the joke of the world. Downtown Inn deaths occurred 16 months ago and they are still speculating as to the cause.

There are websites that have sprung up relating to Thailand Travel Tragedies "unexplained deaths, aircrashes never conclusively investigated, murders, hotel (and nightclub) fires where fire exits were either blocked off or locked

'to prevent guests leaving without paying' the list is infinite. If the average Thai in the street only knew what the world thinks they would hang their collective heads in shame.

And now another two innocent young female tourists cut down before they have even begun to live. Don't bank on a definitive and exhaustive investigation into the lates on Phi Phi

please grow up,how many people die there in your country, and sure not from intecticide, most likely bad drugs, most people die same why as they die in there home country. ok we have rain we have flood, we have bad guy and bad lady, but i still love it here. thanks to all thai to make me feel so good

I live and own beach real estate from Pensacola to Panama City Florida and these places are way more commercial and busy than any Thai resort areas and stretches for 100 plus miles. I have three law offices in that stretch and I have never once heard anything like these types if deaths here. Yeah, we get drunk kids falling off balconies, one girl was rapped by a drugged out local teenager and killed and maybe 10 years ago a guy was shot in a parking lot, but that us about it. Well, 2 shark bite deaths. Nothing strange, nothing suspicious, nothing unexplained, nothing blamed on pesticides.

The mist troubling aspect about Thailand and a few other third world countries, is there is rarely liability or accountability for loss of life. Investigations are either non existent, compromised by bribes or factually inaccurate to maintain image.

• Like 2

"They had skin lesions and it seemed that they had bled from the gums. Also, their fingernails and toenails were blue"

It sounds like the symptoms of a diving accident. isn't it ?

Decompression sickness perhaps? There is a long list of symptoms for this, some seem to match.

No. definitely not. Skin lesions and bleeding gums are not signs of DCS. Skin rash is, as is nausea and vomiting. If they were bent so bad that death was a possibility they would have known it very quickly after the dive. That serious of a case and they would not have been able to walk off the boat. There are exceptions but that is the classic presentation. People have died from DCS before they even reach the surface.

Sounds like a strong poison,

cyanosis from oxygen cut off and blood pressure through the roof.

Blue fingernails/toenails, usually also seen in the lips, do indicate cyanosis (lack of oxygen to the tissue) in a live patient and can be a result of many things. Carbon monoxide poisoning, cardiac issues, circulatory issues to name a few. But, they unfortunately they were not live patients. Whoever made that comment of blue fingernails and toenails is not a medical professional, as that is the normal state of a dead body. (not my area, but I Googled it.)

Also I don't think it has even been suggested they were diving.

I have had no success in googleing these symptoms - anyone found anything? Any medical members care to offer a thought?

Impossible even for someone with an advanced medical degree to diagnose a cause of death from a few comments in an article. Futile to do so.

Edited by NomadJoe