Amnesty For Thaksin Is Root Of The Political Crisis

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Amnesty for Thaksin is root of the political crisis

Avudh Panananda

The Nation

30184435-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The struggle between the ruling Pheu Thai Party and the opposition Democrat Party is teetering on the brink of mutual assured destruction, and only two political veterans, Thaksin Shinawatra and Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, can be game-changers.

Three related issues - reconciliation, Thaksin's amnesty and charter change - are the roots of fractious politics. And it is clear Thaksin stands to benefit from all three issues.

It is also an open secret that Chavalit is pulling strings behind the scenes playing the role of powerbroker to mediate a deal on Thaksin's behalf.

Chavalit engineered the transformation of coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin into Matubhum Party leader, culminating in the push for the reconciliation bill.

At the same time as the reconciliation debate, the government-sponsored bill on charter rewrite came up for parliamentary deliberation.

Reconciliation and charter change, if approved and implemented, will definitely rescue Thaksin from his legal wrangling.

With his future at stake, Thaksin is working hard with Pheu Thai MPs and the red shirts to ensure their legislative passage. He has also dispatched his sister Yaowapha Wongsawat and her husband Somchai as emissaries to pacify the Democrats and other opponents to an amnesty for him.

Chavalit is rooting for Thaksin because he believes the political conflict could be put behind us once amnesty is granted and fences are mended.

But the best-laid plan hatched by Thaksin and Chavalit has turned into a nightmare.

The harder the two push for an amnesty under the guise of reconciliation and charter change, the more opposition they receive from the Democrats. And the more they seek either to pacify or destroy the Democrats, the bigger the legal wrangling becomes - and threatens to engulf the opposing camps.

The most worrying trend is the ruling and opposition parties relying on rabble-rousing, which could lead to mutual destruction. The country cannot avoid suffering collateral damage if the two rival parties continue to hold rallies to incite the masses.

The yellow shirts have descended on to the streets to air their anti-government views. And the red shirts have organised a series of rallies in Bangkok and upcountry aimed at backing the government and outshining their opponents.

The Democrats have been organising rallies to justify their opposition to an amnesty for Thaksin. That has spurred Pheu Thai MPs to retaliate and threaten at coalition-backed rallies to destroy the main opposition party.

Today the House adjournment begins. The next session is set to resume in August. During recess, the rival camps are, unfortunately, gearing to fortify their respective stands on reconciliation and charter change, instead of seeking a compromise.

And with Democrat and Pheu Thai MPs opting to become rabble-rousers, the risk of the political situation spiralling out of control is increasing at an alarming rate.

Before doing something everyone will regret later, key players, particularly Thaksin, should engage in a frank and open-hearted dialogue to outline what they can, or cannot, accept on the amnesty issue.

Thaksin should step forward and outline his bottom line on an amnesty. His two-faced strategy - secret talks with Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban via Chavalit and open attacks via the red shirts - has proved useless.

In 2005, Thaksin refused to reason with his opponents and ended up triggering his own downfall. The 2006 coup to oust him can never be justified. But his flaunting of the majority is not acceptable either. It is high time for these differences to be resolved through negotiations.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-19

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he actually loved Thailand and was proud to be Thai, he would have never fled the country, he would have done his short "soft time" jail sentence in comfort, then he could have settled in a nice house in Thailand and lived in luxury for the rest of his days on Thai soil and as part of Thai community. That is what somebody who loves Thailand would have done, they would have stayed here and done their short jail-time and then retired in this - the country they love.

Thaksin chose to spend like four years in Dubai and other countries, instead of just respecting the honourable judgement of Thai supreme court and staying in Thailand. Anybody with a pulse can see that that his actions are not the actions of somebody who loves being in Thailand. He never had any reason to leave the country, he could have stayed here permanently and been a free man in a couple of years, free to live in Thailand. His actions are of somebody who has no real loyalty to Thailand, no real wish to be here unless it is to be here committing crimes with impunity.

If somebody loves a country they will do anything to stay in that country, especially doing something easy like a few years soft time.

coffee1.gif

Face, dear boy, Face coffee1.gif

• Like 1

There are those that can be bought and those with principles. Glad to see Thailand still has people of the latter and that it has a working opposition.

Nice piece from the Nation.

Edited by MaiChai
  • Like 1

It's funny how in Cambodia, Thaksin said he didn't need to go back into politics as his sister is already in power. Recently in Japan, he said 'if I go back to politics, I'll do the same'. How many times have this guy changed his words?

Thaksin should step forward and outline his bottom line on an amnesty. His two-faced strategy - secret talks with Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban via Chavalit and open attacks via the red shirts - has proved useless.

rolleyes.gif

His two-faced strategy

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thaksin refused to reason with his opponents and ended up triggering his own downfall.

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

This guy is a megalomaniac, he cannot be reasoned with, he couldn't lie straight in his bed, and he is incapable of putting the interests of Thailand before his own. Surely he must know the level of complete and utter hatred that many powerful Thais have for him.

Seriously there is no peaceful end to this political battle. There will be blood. sad.png

Sadly I think this is where it is all headed.

If he actually loved Thailand and was proud to be Thai, he would have never fled the country, he would have done his short "soft time" jail sentence in comfort, then he could have settled in a nice house in Thailand and lived in luxury for the rest of his days on Thai soil and as part of Thai community.

Problem for Thaksin is if he is on Thai soil, there is a myriad of other cases against him, that he will more than likely be convicted on, even with the current government behind him, ready to proceed as soon as his person can be ushered (dragged kicking and screaming biggrin.png) into the court room.

I totally agree, I am sure he would be charged with many more crimes after returning, crimes which are ultimately his own fault. My original point was more in the context of if he loved Thailand he would 'face the music' and beg forgiveness of the Thai people and stay here in an act of penance. Many people in the armed forces die to defend their country, many suffer great hardships to stay in the country where their heart lies. I was suggesting that he is not that type of loyal patriotic type of person, and even his comfortable imprisonment would be too much for him. I would contend that many foreigners experience greater hardship during border runs in the back of beatup vans to Cambodia, just to stay in this country for a few months, than Thaksin would experience in hi-so jail. And people do those arduous visa runs to stay within the law, which is ironic.

If he actually loved Thailand and was proud to be Thai, he would have never fled the country, he would have done his short "soft time" jail sentence in comfort, then he could have settled in a nice house in Thailand and lived in luxury for the rest of his days on Thai soil and as part of Thai community.

Problem for Thaksin is if he is on Thai soil, there is a myriad of other cases against him, that he will more than likely be convicted on, even with the current government behind him, ready to proceed as soon as his person can be ushered (dragged kicking and screaming biggrin.png) into the court room.

I totally agree, I am sure he would be charged with many more crimes after returning, crimes which are ultimately his own fault. My original point was more in the context of if he loved Thailand he would 'face the music' and beg forgiveness of the Thai people and stay here in an act of penance. Many people in the armed forces die to defend their country, many suffer great hardships to stay in the country where their heart lies. I was suggesting that he is not that type of loyal patriotic type of person, and even his comfortable imprisonment would be too much for him. I would contend that many foreigners experience greater hardship during border runs in the back of beatup vans to Cambodia, just to stay in this country for a few months, than Thaksin would experience in hi-so jail. And people do those arduous visa runs to stay within the law, which is ironic.

If he were that sort of person he wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

• Like 1

If he were that sort of person he wouldn't be in this situation to begin with.

I totally agree with you. I'm always hoping that people can change and improve themselves. Some people can 'mend their ways' and learn to put others first or country first etc. and are often much happier people after they renounce their earlier selfish criminal ways.

I think Thaksin had that chance four years ago to make a new direction for himself by serving his time and being repentant. Many people including myself would have applauded him for this act of contrition. I think even with all his crimes added up to a long sentence, he would have got let out relatively early as so many well-represented people do in Thailand.

But for him it was never about reconciliation, amnesty or any kind of penitence or 'seeking forgiveness from the people', it was always about absolution and resuming business-as-usual.

sad.png

Edited by Yunla

There are those that can be bought and those with principles. Glad to see Thailand still has people of the latter and that it has a working opposition.

Nice piece from the Nation.

Are we seeing the same things??? Where are those here with principles . . . ???? lol

I don't see it as a problem. I see it as the law in action.

Amnesty for Thaksin is root of the political crisis?

And what is the root of the root?

The Coup?

The political crisis started before the coup.

And Thaksin being corrupt was before that.

It is not the amnesty for Thaksin that is the root it is Thaksin himself.

• Like 2

The Coup?

Amnesty is the root of the current crisis.

Chavalit is rooting for Thaksin because he believes the political conflict could be put behind us once amnesty is granted and fences are mended.

But the best-laid plan hatched by Thaksin and Chavalit has turned into a nightmare.

Machiavelli and the Swamp Thing, gotta be a horror movie in there somewhere.

Oh yes, the coming documentary post mortems for Thailands society,

brought low by infighting and power snatching schemes.

Incipient senility and desire for a cushier retirement, and need to

still feel useful is a powerful lure for dinosaurs to go stir the pot one lest time.

Edited by animatic

Hypothetical:

If Taksin passes away due to natural causes tonight...does this whole political conflict saga disappear?

I reckon it would

I agree, there would be things changed, but the majority of the problem evaporates.

w00t.gif Isn't there something seriously wrong with the size of Thaksin's head in that news photo that accompanies this article?

To me, his head seems to be way out of porportion to his body.

His head also seems to me to be way to large in porportion to the other heads shown.

I suspect that is a "Photo shopped" image....and a poorly done one at that.

laugh.png

The Nation is never too cocky to distract people from the real facts. not Thaksin's amnesty and that of the army killers is the root of the problem. The elite is the root of the problem. The elite does not give a rat's ass about the voter. They set judicial coups in motion they organize a military putsch when it comes in handy and they rob the country blind.

Thaksin is their problem. Thaksin has waken the poor and that is very inconvenient. So inconvenient that all those Chinese from Sondhi to army generals whose parents overstayed their welcome a long time ago and who are still in the service of China even go themselves to the street.

The elite that organize scams like the police entrance exam, that ask prosecutors, police, nurses and judges to pay money for their positions. The elite that refuses to pay 25% of a Foxcon salary as minimum wage, the elite that enslaves people in their factories on their fishing fleets and in brothels.

It is the inconvenient truth of Thailand.

• Like 2

The Coup?

Amnesty is the root of the current crisis.

No the root is his corruption....the amnesty is after the corruption so it isn't the root.....

The Nation is never too cocky to distract people from the real facts. not Thaksin's amnesty and that of the army killers is the root of the problem. The elite is the root of the problem. The elite does not give a rat's ass about the voter. They set judicial coups in motion they organize a military putsch when it comes in handy and they rob the country blind.

Thaksin is their problem. Thaksin has waken the poor and that is very inconvenient. So inconvenient that all those Chinese from Sondhi to army generals whose parents overstayed their welcome a long time ago and who are still in the service of China even go themselves to the street.

The elite that organize scams like the police entrance exam, that ask prosecutors, police, nurses and judges to pay money for their positions. The elite that refuses to pay 25% of a Foxcon salary as minimum wage, the elite that enslaves people in their factories on their fishing fleets and in brothels.

It is the inconvenient truth of Thailand.

Thaksin is also Chinese