Cabinet Ducks Decision On Use Of U-Tapao Airbase: Thai-US Ties

webfact

THAI-US TIES

Cabinet ducks decision on use of U-Tapao airbase

The Nation

30184520-01_big.jpg

Nasa's request to conduct climate project deferred amid claims it should go to Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Cabinet opted yesterday to delay a decision on the United States' request for Nasa, its aeronautics and space agency, to use U-Tapao airbase for weather research, saying it needed more time to study the project.

"Basically, it is a good project initiated since the previous government but we need to get a working group to study more details, and we will put it up for Cabinet consideration later," Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said as she emerged from the meeting yesterday.

Nasa wants to use U-Tapao for its climate research aircraft in August and September as part of a project in collaboration with the Thai Science Ministry's Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (Gistda).

However, the project became a hot issue once the opposition Democrat Party began alleging that the government had offered use of U-Tapao in exchange for a US visa for former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, who was the previous premier, has demanded that the government make public all details of the project and get the proposal considered in Parliament in accordance with Article 190 of the Constitution.

Yingluck said: "If we deem it necessary to hand the proposal over to the Parliament for approval, we will do so accordingly".

Article 190 requires that all agreements with foreign countries or international organisations be considered by the Parliament, especially if they are related to a change in territory or sovereignty over territory.

Democrat spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut said although the project was raised during the Democrat-led government, nothing was wrong until it was put in the hands of Yingluck's government. No agencies in charge of national security had raised any concerns about the project before, but the National Security Council had made at least six observations on the very same project under this government, he said.

There were also concerns about whether US petrol giant Chevron had any interest in the project, he said.

Kasit Piromya, who was foreign minister in the Abhisit government, said the current administration should not make a decision on the project by itself but have it debated in Parliament in accordance with the Constitution.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said the Nasa project had been initiated two years ago, under the previous administration, and his government was planning to go ahead with it because it was useful for weather research.

"Nasa has the technology that we don't have. If the project is successful, we will have more knowledge on meteorology, which will enable us to predict weather more correctly, so we can prepare for floods," he said.

Plodprasob went on to say the US agency would not be allowed to work on its own, and that some Thai officials would watch their activities closely. The United States needed U-Tapao because it was close to the sea and also because the Gistda centre was located nearby, in the neighbouring district of Sri Racha, he explained.

"The opposition party just wants to turn this into a political issue. It is the opposition party that launched this initiative, so why blame this government for wrongdoing?" he asked.

Meanwhile, Yingluck said she hoped the US would understand Thai politics because her government has been communicating with Washing-ton regularly about the project.

When asked if China had any problems with the US wanting to use U-Tapao, Yingluck said her government had yet to make a decision and had only taken the project up for consideration from the previous government.

"Of course, it's a cooperation. We will consider it if it will benefit our national interest and security, which are our main priorities," she said.

China came up because Thai politicians and intellectuals fear that use of U-Tapao by the US may heighten military tension in the region.

U-Tapao airbase was built to serve American military operations during the Vietnam War in the 1960s and 1970s. The request for the Nasa project came at around the same time as the Pentagon said it was interested in using the facility for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

However, local security experts fear U-Tapao might be used as part of the US strategy to build a stronger military presence in the Asia-Pacific to "contain" China. It comes at a time when Beijing has serious territorial disputes over the South China Sea with several countries in the region.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-20

related topic:

Nasa U-Tapao project would help us: Gistda

If there's nothing to hide and the purpose of the agreement is for the benefit of everyone (not only US or only Thai&US), then why not make it transparent? Why does the government need to ram this through like they tried with the Reconciliation Bill? Before you bring up that the project was initiated by the previous government, that particular fact has already been noted. However, when it switched hands the transparency becomes a thick fog.

Straight from the opposition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHBJvUvDhrA&feature=plcp

From 10:00 - 13:00 is what the Red News have to say about it.

If you understand Thai, please tell me how much sense or nonsense Abhisit makes in his observation. Is it a HUGE deal that he asks for transparency or do you agree with the Plodprasop saying there's no need to bring it to parliament for debate.

Edited by ThaiOats

BURNING ISSUE

Suspicion over use of U-Tapao is hardly surprising

Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- If US proposals to use U-Tapao airbase misfire, Nasa and the Pentagon should blame Hollywood for giving Thai politicians, the mass media and intellectuals the wrong idea about America's advanced defence technology and military outlook.

It may be true, as senior Thai government and US officials have tried to explain, that Nasa, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, simply wanted to use U-Tapao for weather research aircraft. Just three planes will take off and land in August and September to take cloud samples in the higher reaches of the sky above Thailand for scientific research.

It may also be true that the US wants to use U-Tapao airbase as a humanitarian assistance and disaster relief training and readiness centre - although few appear to believe that.

The Fourth Thai-US Strategic Dialogue in Washington last week agreed to set up a working group to jointly develop a plan to use U-Tapao as a facility for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief. The working group will explore all possibilities to have such a centre established in Thailand, but the details are still being worked out.

Scientific research, humanitarian assistance and disaster relief are all civilian work but Hollywood movies conjure up an image of Nasa inventing technology that could be used for military purposes. In reality, unmanned flying objects were widely used in Nasa's space exploration, as well as the Pentagon's wars. Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), commonly known as drones, played a significant role in the modern warfare seen in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But disaster relief work can be very similar to war-time situations.

Humanitarian assistance and disaster relief are badly needed when countries are fighting wars. The new trend in today's world is that countries like to use military resources for this civilian purpose.

It's very logical for local politicians, mass media and intellectuals in Thailand to mix up hi-tech Nasa and the Pentagon's plan for disaster relief with a new US strategy to gravitate its military presence towards the Asia-Pacific when new regional powerhouse China is flexing its muscles.

It's all right to imagine that Nasa is researching something absolutely advanced in the heavens and perhaps in the airspace over this region while the Pentagon is moving on the ground in search of locations for its infantry and hiding places for satellite-linked UAVs.

The naval airbase at U-Tapao makes all this seem real, as it was built for a war and served the US well in the Vietnam War during the 1960s-70s. U-Tapao along with other outposts in the Philippines and Vietnam would allow the US to completely contain China in the Pacific, notably the South China Sea. The timing is uncanny as China is currently involved in territorial disputes in the South China Sea with many countries in this region including both the Philippines and Vietnam.

Thailand might be relatively removed from the conflict in the South China Sea but the Kingdom is located next to Myanmar, where China's influence is obvious, and the US still has no strong ties with Nay Pyi Taw.

The conspiracy theory would be more perfect for local consumption if former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could be brought into the picture.

That's why anti-Thaksin politicians spread rumours that Yingluck Shinawatra's government offered U-Tapao in exchange for a US visa for Thaksin.

However, the issue that people in this country have failed to debate is Thailand's grand strategy for security and international relations.

No one can predict the nature of conflicts among nations in the future and what kind of threat - man-made or natural - this country is really facing.

Indeed, natural disasters are more of a distinct threat that can happen anytime to disrupt the daily lives of people in Thailand and the region than a war between the US and China.

If Thailand really fears military confrontation, it could invite China and Asean into the scheme, rather than scrap the deal. Let's analyse the situation and deal with reality - imagination alone cannot help.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-20

Enough. If Thailand doesn't want the US involved, then the US should leave--and cut off Thailand entirely, just like Thais seem to want. No more trade, exchanges, investment. Zip. Then, Thailand will not need to "choose sides". For a country which just emerged from catastrophic flooding and may be heading back into them again to turn around and refuse the establishment of a disaster relief center for fear of offending China means that Thailand already has chosen sides. China. Okay. Slap a permanent travel warning on US tourism to Thailand. No more Thai exports to the US or products containing Thai manfactured goods to the US. See how much Thailand sends to China, then.

Edited by zydeco

Enough. If Thailand doesn't want the US involved, then the US should leave--and cut off Thailand entirely, just like Thais seem to want. No more trade, exchanges, investment. Zip. Then, Thailand will not need to "choose sides". For a country which just emerged from catastrophic flooding and may be heading back into them again to turn around and refuse the establishment of a disaster relief center for fear of offending China means that Thailand already has chosen sides. China. Okay. Slap a permanent travel warning on US tourism to Thailand. No more Thai exports to the US or products containing Thai manfactured goods to the US. See how much Thailand sends to China, then.

You know this thing about China is only speculation right? That's why the government needs to be transparent and make it clear to all neighboring nations that U-Tapao will be used for meteorological purposes or emergency relief. If it's to be used for emergency relief, other nations should be in on it too. If it's for meteorological purposes, who will have access to the data? So many questions that needs answers and that's why the Opposition wants it in parliament for debate. Nothing wrong with it.

I count several US guys amongst my group of friends, and I'm pretty sure that every one of them would back me in saying that the US Government does very little for "humanitarian" reasons. They lie, bully and badger their way with any country they please. The Thais are bang on the mark to be suspicious. Once you let the bastards in, it'll be a hell of a lot harder getting them out. Tell them to sod off I say.

• Like 1

I count several US guys amongst my group of friends, and I'm pretty sure that every one of them would back me in saying that the US Government does very little for "humanitarian" reasons. They lie, bully and badger their way with any country they please. The Thais are bang on the mark to be suspicious. Once you let the bastards in, it'll be a hell of a lot harder getting them out. Tell them to sod off I say.

From your use of the English language, I would say your a Brit. correct?

Absolutely...why would anyone would want an American base on their land?Ask the Okinawans. US soldiers rape the local girls them run inside the base for protection, the soldiers are never prosecuted.

I know, I know,U-Tapao it isn't going to be an American base...just for peaceful purposes...anyone who believes this is naive in the extreme...it will become one, when The US needs to bomb somewhere. The US is the most aggressive nation on the planet, why should a peaceful nation like Thailand become their enablers?

• Like 1

Absolutely...why would anyone would want an American base on their land?Ask the Okinawans. US soldiers rape the local girls them run inside the base for protection, the soldiers are never prosecuted.

I know, I know,U-Tapao it isn't going to be an American base...just for peaceful purposes...anyone who believes this is naive in the extreme...it will become one, when The US needs to bomb somewhere. The US is the most aggressive nation on the planet, why should a peaceful nation like Thailand become their enablers?

Geez you guys are naive.

well if you're "pretty sure" from your several "US guys" (aka "Americans") then yup that must be the truth.

in the meantime you should peruse this website at your leisure.

http://www.usaid.gov/

I recall the Thai governments response to the rollout of the internet. When undersea cables were being laid and routes to each country were being established, the Thai government's response was "how much will you pay us"? Consequently the internet hub is now in Malaysia , enters through a single chokepoint and all of Thailand's internet is dependent on it's relationships with a neighbor. I imagine similar discussions are now going on in the cabinet.

The U.S. should just forget about using Utapao....some Thais (and others) turn every request made by the U.S. into a world domination conspiracy. I'm sure the U.S. can find more cooperative countries in the region. Let the Thai govt continue to spend most of their time fighting over the amnesty/charter/unity bills and of course the ruling party getting their leader back into the country.

• Like 1

Agreed. They seem to forget who their bigger trading partner is. They also seem to forget who claims Thailand was historically a vassal state. As far as I remember, it was the West-not China- that developed Thailand into an export hub.

But if they wish to chase the Chinese dream that is being dangled in front of them at the expense of their past friends that is their decision.After all, I's sure Chinese intentions are purely altruistic.

And as for the poster who claims based on his highly scientific survey of his handful of "Yank" friends the American governtment is evil, I can assure you your friends are about as knowledgable about American policy as you appear to be.

Edited by tzthib

No doubt this is what all of your SAS training has taught you.

You might want to look at why those bases exist despite repeated instances of rape and other malfeasance; that might also help you understand why those bases aren't going anywhere either. Geopolitics is clearly not a strong point, but you should look into exactly why it is that the US just got permission to base soldiers in Australia from the Australian government. It was all in the news just recently.

As another Brit who has many US friends including some in NASA, may I add a couple of words that you may understand

Complete <deleted>

Crobe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/25/usa.japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Okinawa_rape_incident

don't exaggerate.