Uk Passport Renewal-Have To Use Ups?

Daffy D

I have previously seen some posts about renewing UK Passport from Hong Kong but on doing a search I get results like this:-

International Atm Withdrawals

New Partner Needed. in SME Business in Thailand

Jet Ski Scam Pattaya When Will It Stop in Pattaya Forum

Farang Selling Durian. in General topics

Does the search function actually work?

Anyway the question is do you have to use UPS as recommended by the Embassy or is it OK to use regular EMS to send your documents?

The UK passport office in Hong Kong recommends that you use DHL as there is a special arrangement in place. If in Thailand the application for a new passport takes about 3/4 weeks. Lots of comments on TV forum about this subject or look up the UK Goverment website for further information

"sketcher" - I realize that I could use any posting system available including pigeon or Harry Potters owl-mail but the real question was has anyone uses one of these systems and got their passport delivered back to their house or do you still have to go to a DHL office to collect.

"techno" - Yes I have read the UK Embassy Website and have done a search for "Lots of comments on TV forum about this subject" but this is where the search function let me down. Seems the search function does not recognize words like "Passport or Renewal".

"beano" - Thanks, this is the information I was after. I live in the miles from the nearest DHL office so getting there to send and then collect would be a real hassle. I read somewhere that DHL will contact you when the return package has arrived in their office and can then arrange to have it delivered either to your house or somewhere near like the local Post Office. Did you have to go to the DHL office to collect?

OOPS! Just realized the title should have said DHL - the courier reccomended by the Passport Office. Sorry for any confusion. whistling.gif

Edited by Daffy D

"sketcher" - I realize that I could use any posting system available including pigeon or Harry Potters owl-mail but the real question was has anyone uses one of these systems and got their passport delivered back to their house or do you still have to go to a DHL office to collect.

"techno" - Yes I have read the UK Embassy Website and have done a search for "Lots of comments on TV forum about this subject" but this is where the search function let me down. Seems the search function does not recognize words like "Passport or Renewal".

"beano" - Thanks, this is the information I was after. I live in the miles from the nearest DHL office so getting there to send and then collect would be a real hassle. I read somewhere that DHL will contact you when the return package has arrived in their office and can then arrange to have it delivered either to your house or somewhere near like the local Post Office. Did you have to go to the DHL office to collect?

OOPS! Just realized the title should have said DHL - the courier reccomended by the Passport Office. Sorry for any confusion. whistling.gif

DHL delivered to my door

Sent mine in Feb this year via Village Post Office EMS, no problems....

Well was a problem getting it back.... Lady phoned from DHL Vietnam **?? to say package would arrive next day in Thailand + gave phone number in Thailand to call... .[she also sent a email to confirm also from DHL Vietnam]..., did arrived Thailand also phoned and sent email.........I had to drive all the way to the DHL Office as they do not deliver to Villages.. some 108 km return trip !!!

Something silly...... There was 2 packages, 1x passport + 1x receipt, so your paying 2x DHL fees

Warning: They also needed photo copy of i.d page of old passport. Visa and TM card at the DHL Office..or they did for me in February

A little wrinkle that I have hit in renewing my UK passport.

The regional office in Paris insists that one of the photos must be endorsed

just like a brand new application.

In the past I renewed at the embassy in Bangkok and no endorsement was required

I don't know if this applies to Hongkong, but I pass it on just in case.

"beano" - DHL delivered to your door, guess you must be living near civilization. I live in a remote rural area and if they won't deliver to the village it will mean a long round trip on local busses.

"ignis" Buried deep in the Embassy Website there is a reference that mentions the extra charge if you want a receipt :-

"If you have no supporting documents to be returned and you request a receipt, you will need to pay the full courier fee for the return of supporting documents as well as the fee for sending your new passport from the UK." sad.png

"astral" Never had a problem with photo endorsement on a renewal application. Hope it's not going to be an issue this time. sick.gif

Why are thngs so complicated? crazy.gif

Daffy - If you live out in the sticks DHL will forward onto you

by local EMS, you still have to make the trip to the DHL

office for the outgoing dispatch. They are very efficient,

even insisting on checking my docs to make sure I had

included everything.

Even if you do not have supporting docs to be returned

from HK they will still send just a receipt by courier, its all

included in their very "reasonable" charges. Its supposedly

timed so that you should receive your passport and receipt

at the same time.

Its a half barmy system, but it does work.

And yes one of the photos has to be endorsed

Edited by dick turpin

I renewed my UK passport three months or so ago. I sent the papers to Hong Kong, via the local Thai Post EMS, (which you can track via the internet, until it gets to Suvarnabhumi), and got the new passport between two or three weeks after I'd sent the documents in.

I received two large DHL envelopes, one with the passport, and the other with the receipt for my credit card.

The biggest difficulties I had were getting the photo background colour right, (the local photo shop did a background colour mix for me), and finding a black pen to fill the form in - it must be a black ball pen, not felt tip!

Good luck.

Here is my thread ... I used normal mail to send to HK... the confusion on my part was that my friend paid using his credit card and there was a little communication problem as to wether the card had been debited.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/530263-where-is-my-passport/ Based on experience sending by EMS is probably better.

When my documents came back ... they came in two packages ... in one package the passport and in another package the Credit Card slip ... and if I recall correctly the postage on each package was expensive!! A totally stupid system

I renewed my UK passport three months or so ago. I sent the papers to Hong Kong, via the local Thai Post EMS, (which you can track via the internet, until it gets to Suvarnabhumi),

Yes and no....... sure I tracked via the internet, until it gets to Suvarnabhumi, then nothing, day 4 noticed the money had been taken from my Debit card, day 5 check the tracking number again and showed all the way and time it was signed for in HK Embassy. that was 4 days after it had arrived before it showed on the Internet

"Dick Turpin" said yes one of the photos has to be endorsed sick.gif

Who did you get to do the endorsement? I don't know anyone who qualifies. w00t.gif

Is every one having to get their photos endorsed or just a few selected at random?

(a bit like the Thai system of doing things)

"JAS21" - Wish the search function had thrown up your earlier thread, would have saved me opening a new one. coffee1.gif

It's all getting just too complicated

Where's that beer burp.gif

I wasn't sure about getting my photos endorsed - the form says it is not necessary for a renewal, unless the applicant's appearance has changed substantially - I thought mine had, so I got the local doctor in our village (who I've known for 10 years), to fill in the necessary part of the form, and sign the back of the photo. I wrote everything out for him in English first, so that he understood what he was signing, and so that he knew to write small! He also stamped my form with his surgery logo.

As "MrMuddle" said not necessary to get photo endorsed "unless the applicants appearance has changed substantially"

I thought I looked much the same so had the form all filled out and was good to go, just wanted confirmation about using DHL when this problem about endorsement reared it's ugly head.

"Dick Turpin" Yes I have actually printed out and read the application forms requirements, both of them, for the regular C1 and the for the new Smart application.

As I said I don't know anyone who qualifies. I have never seen the local doctor and I doubt any one else round here who might qualify would be prepared to put their name to a foreign document they don't understand.

There is of course the little old lady loan shark who is a friend of the family and has known me for several years but I doubt she would want to get involved.whistling.gif

Since you are supposed to carry your passport as ID whilst you are in LOS

how are you supposed to manage whilst it is "in the post" to Hongkong?

Where I live in the middle east I can submit my application to the local

UK embassy and they handle the couriering to Paris, at my expense, of course.

A nice feature is that they took a photocopy of my old passport, stamp it as "seen at the embassy",

then returned it to me, so I still have my ID in hand.

Just as well with all this trouble in Syria and around the region.

When I collect the new passport I have to present the old one and they will clip the

corner to cancel it

Perhaps a question to be raised with HE in Bangkok??

The FCO are aware of this and so applicants in Thailand keep their old passport.

Pretty much the same procedure as you describe, I believe.

The FCO are aware of this and so applicants in Thailand keep their old passport.

Pretty much the same procedure as you describe, I believe.

......He is a mod and does no know this simple fact?.

By the way reference to use of your local vicar was a joke.....sense of

humour bypass methinks

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

Sent my off passport application without having the photo endorsed from the local post office using EMS.

Got new passport back just in over 3 weeks without any problem delivered to my door by post office.

Easy peasy.

smile.png

DHL delivered to my door

...and mine

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect App