Ecuador Could Decide On Assenge'S Asylum Request On Thursday

News_Editor

Ecuador could decide on Assenge's asylum request on Thursday < br />

2012-06-21 09:24:09 GMT+7 (ICT)

LONDON, ENGLAND (BNO NEWS) -- The Ecuadorian government could make a decision on the fate of Julian Assange, the founder of the controversial whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks who has sought refuge at the country's embassy in London, as early as Thursday, an official said on late Wednesday.

Ecuador's deputy foreign minister Marco Albuja told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) that a decision on Assange's asylum application will be made soon. "We still can't make a final decision public yet until tomorrow," he said. "The national government is considering its position and the president will give us his instructions tomorrow."

Assange entered the Ecuadorian Embassy in London on Tuesday to request political asylum from the Ecuadorian government, claiming the government of Australia - where he was born - has abandoned him and that he is being persecuted politically. He also fears being extradited to the United States, where he believes he could be sentenced to death if he is indicted.

"Such statements make it impossible for me to return to my home country and puts me in a state of helplessness by being requested to be interrogated by the Kingdom of Sweden, where its top officials have openly attacked me, and investigated me for political crimes in the United States of America, a country where the death penalty for such offenses is still in force," Assange said in his request on Tuesday.

Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Ricardo Patiño said the government is evaluating the request and assured it will take into account the rules and principles of international law and human rights. The Ecuadorian Embassy in London said Assange will remain in the compound, under the protection of the Ecuadorian government, until a decision has been made.

On Wednesday morning, Ecuadorian Ambassador Anna Alban met with British officials to discuss Assange's application for diplomatic sanctuary and political asylum. "The discussions were cordial and constructive," Alban said. "I also emphasized to the UK government that it was not the intention of the Ecuadorian government to interfere with the processes of either the UK or Swedish governments."

Assange's choice to seek asylum at the Ecuadorian Embassy surprised many, especially because of Ecuador's bad record when it comes to press freedom and accusations that President Rafael Correa is leading a relentless campaign against free speech, but senior government officials have previously welcomed WikiLeaks.

In November 2010, then-deputy foreign minister Kintto Lucas invited Assange to visit Ecuador and offered him residency. "We are open to giving him residency in Ecuador, without any problem and without any conditions," he said at the time, although the Ecuadorian government later said Lucas was speaking on his personal behalf.

Nonetheless, Correa voiced his support for WikiLeaks in a recent interview with Assange for his TV series 'World Tomorrow.' "We have nothing to hide. If anything, the WikiLeaks have made us stronger, as the main accusations made by the embassy were due to our excessive nationalism and defense of the sovereignty of the Ecuadorian government," he said.

Correa added: "On the other hand, many WikiLeaks cables spoke about the interests in the national media about the power groups who go to seek help, to foster relationships with foreign embassies, and benefit from the embassy's contacts. Here we fear absolutely nothing, let them publish everything they have about the Ecuadorian Government."

Also on Wednesday, Scotland Yard said Assange has breached one of his bail conditions and will be arrested once he leaves the embassy compound. "As Mr Assange is in the Ecuadorean embassy he is in diplomatic territory and beyond the reach of the police," Britain's foreign office said in a statement. Police officers could be seen waiting outside the embassy compound.

Assange has been fighting extradition from Britain to Sweden where he faces allegations of sexual molestation, unlawful coercion and rape. A London court dismissed Assange's appeal in November 2011 and the UK Supreme Court earlier this month rejected his bid to reopen the case.

The accusations are unrelated to Assange's work for the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks which brought diplomatic earthquakes to the United States when it began releasing classified documents it had obtained. Assange has claimed the cases have been politically-linked, arguing that the sexual encounters with the two women in Sweden were consensual.

Wikileaks' first big scoop was on April 5, 2010, when it released a classified video which showed a 2007 U.S. helicopter attack in Iraq which left several civilians killed, including two unarmed Reuters journalists. Assange previously said he had been told to expect 'dirty tricks' from the Pentagon, including 'sex traps' to ruin his reputation.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-21

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the OP:

"Also on Wednesday, Scotland Yard said Assange has breached one of his bail conditions and will be arrested once he leaves the embassy compound. "As Mr Assange is in the Ecuadorean embassy he is in diplomatic territory and beyond the reach of the police," Britain's foreign office said in a statement. Police officers could be seen waiting outside the embassy compound."

I wonder if the long drawn out appeal process will be quite as attractive if Assange is sitting in a British jail cell.

He [Assange] also fears being extradited to the United States, where he believes he could be sentenced to death if he is indicted.

He is a liar. He does not believe that for one second. Possibly locked up for a long time, maybe, but executed? Zero chance and he knows it. Just trying to make excuses. I bet a lot of his supporters are starting to realize that this creep probably really did rape those women.

Nope

• Like 1

Even if Ecuador grants him asylum, he must reach Ecuador to enjoy it. Scotland Yard says they will arrest him if/when he leaves the Embassy, even if traveling in a diplomatic vehicle.

The next few hours should be interesting.

Even if Ecuador grants him asylum, he must reach Ecuador to enjoy it. Scotland Yard says they will arrest him if/when he leaves the Embassy, even if traveling in a diplomatic vehicle.

and all because of a torn condom that has no DNA on it blink.png

Julian Assange: five escape routes from the Ecuadorian embassy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/21/julian-assange-escape-routes-ecuador-embassy?newsfeed=true

Edited by midas

http://www.guardian....y?newsfeed=true

I like the pizza delivery escape and dressing as a woman athlete for him to elude capture.

I wonder if Scotland Yard has thought of these escape routes?

http://www.guardian....y?newsfeed=true

I like the pizza delivery escape and dressing as a woman athlete for him to elude capture.

I wonder if Scotland Yard has thought of these escape routes?

they are not revealing the other 5 methods thoughgiggle.gif

That is good news. I wonder if they will add some charges in England.

He [Assange] also fears being extradited to the United States, where he believes he could be sentenced to death if he is indicted.

He is a liar. He does not believe that for one second. Possibly locked up for a long time, maybe, but executed? Zero chance and he knows it. Just trying to make excuses. I bet a lot of his supporters are starting to realize that this creep probably really did rape those women.

Not even the women claimed that they got raped in the sense everyone outside Sweden understands the word rape.

I would like to know how the can argue braking international law by blocking or opening a diplomatic vehicle.

In mid-2010 documents came out about innocents being killed in the Afghan war. In December of 2010 he was arrested. Is this all just a great big coincidence to you? Governments rely on this type of brain activity, or lack thereof. This stuff isn't rocket science. This is what happens when you go against and succeed in exposing the machine and all its perpetually gready money grubbers.

Edited by meand
  • Like 1

I have always had mixed feelings about him and Wikileaks. It caused a lot of problems, but it also put a lot of people on alert.

I never thought they handled the release of information well.

This latest move is total nonsense. He hasn't been extradited to the US and there is no way he would be sent to the US without an agreement that the death penalty is off the table. Even if it wasn't, he is way too high profile to execute. The backlash would be enormous.

Seeking asylum in his case is a sign of cowardice. He is not fleeing persecution, he is fleeing prosecution.

I would like to know how the can argue braking international law by blocking or opening a diplomatic vehicle.

A vehicle cannot be considered as having any sort of diplomatic protection and is not considered Ecuadorian land as is the Embassy.

The vehicle operates under the laws of the England and doesn't have diplomatic immunity...only some of the occupants.

Not even the women claimed that they got raped in the sense everyone outside Sweden understands the word rape.

Unfortunately Assange performed his deeds of misconduct in Sweden, and therein lies the rub.

Indeed 'the law is an ass in England' Raving Islamic terrorists are let free to live off of state funds and continue their rhetoric of hatred and violence as a number of other religious and political malcontents do in the U.K.

Yet here we see a whistle blower who has exposed the lies and the political machinations of assorted western nations in their ongoing terrorist activities conducted under the guise of democracy being persecuted and thus forcing him to seek political asylum in another country.

Just remember that there is currently a bill before the U.K. Parliament concerning 'whistle blowing' and there is a clause that renders the whistle blower liable to prosecution for exposing wrongdoings.

The U..K.. is subject to the laws of the E.U. which in many cases have and still are eroding peoples civil rights and liberties.

Julian Assange is a victim of western political terrorism and the countries involved wish to have him silenced in any way possible.

Not one of the accusers is on a nodding acquaintance with the truth.

The possibility of breaching diplomatic immunity and protocol shows just how desperate these countries and states are to silence Julian Assange.

Such breaches of diplomatic immunity and protocol will have far reaching and long lasting consequences upon the rights of all individuals worldwide let alone their sovereign states..

Please explain who is violating diplomatic immunity and how are they accomplishing this foul deed.

The UK? Nope, they have given him every break and he has repaid their trust by violating the provisions of his conditional release.

Sweden? Nope, they have wanted to question him about possible crimes against women in Sweden.

The US? Nope, the US has done absolutely nothing to him, except call a special federal grand jury at which he did not testify.

Ecuador? Nope., not yet anyway.

It would seem you believe everyone is at fault except Assange, and he is the only one that has dealt in stolen merchandise and possible illicit sex.

A vehicle cannot be considered as having any sort of diplomatic protection and is not considered Ecuadorian land as is the Embassy.

The vehicle operates under the laws of the England and doesn't have diplomatic immunity...only some of the occupants.

But if they grant asylum, they will just give him a passport with Diplomatic Immunity, simple really. I hope he gets it and I hope he can carry on for the next 20 years in Ecuador exposing all of the sleazy lies that we suspect our Governments tell. The guy deserves a medal, i agree the release of information was rather untidy, but the contents were the truth, what's wrong with the truth? As for the rape charges, we have been over this a gazillion times. He was interviewed fully in Sweden by the authorities and the Public Prosecutor decided there was no case, so the PP was replaced with one that wanted to pursue the case. It's all BS.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

But if they grant asylum, they will just give him a passport with Diplomatic Immunity, simple really. I hope he gets it and I hope he can carry on for the next 20 years in Ecuador exposing all of the sleazy lies that we suspect our Governments tell. The guy deserves a medal, i agree the release of information was rather untidy, but the contents were the truth, what's wrong with the truth? As for the rape charges, we have been over this a gazillion times. He was interviewed fully in Sweden by the authorities and the Public Prosecutor decided there was no case, so the PP was replaced with one that wanted to pursue the case. It's all BS.

not according to this article ?

" Were he to be given a diplomatic passport, that would not alter the situation: immunity from arrest is only conferred on diplomats accredited to the Court of St James's by the Foreign Office.

Any attempt by the Ecuadoreans to have him accredited would be rebuffed by UK authorities. Were Assange to accept an Ecuadorean diplomatic passport, some suggest, he would become an Ecuadorean national – and therefore be unable to seek asylum in what would now be his own country's embassy. Diplomacy is a cunning profession – dangerously double-edged."

http://www.guardian....estions-answers

Edited by midas

" Were he to be given a diplomatic passport, that would not alter the situation: immunity from arrest is only conferred on diplomats accredited to the Court of St James's by the Foreign Office.

Any attempt by the Ecuadoreans to have him accredited would be rebuffed by UK authorities. Were Assange to accept an Ecuadorean diplomatic passport, some suggest, he would become an Ecuadorean national – and therefore be unable to seek asylum in what would now be his own country's embassy. Diplomacy is a cunning profession – dangerously double-edged."

oooooh!

Thanks for that, what a massive web of intrigue is being spun. I can't wait to see how this pans out, I doubt for a moment that it will fizzle out as a boring issue.

oooooh!

Thanks for that, what a massive web of intrigue is being spun. I can't wait to see how this pans out, I doubt for a moment that it will fizzle out as a boring issue.

there is only way.... one of a series of possible James Bond style escapes giggle.gif

oooooh!

there is only way.... one of a series of possible James Bond style escapes giggle.gif

I think he may be living in a tent inside the embassy grounds for some time ;) It all seems to be TFD for the Ecuadorians to take on. He could find himself out on his arse in a few days.

In mid-2010 documents came out about innocents being killed in the Afghan war. In December of 2010 he was arrested. Is this all just a great big coincidence to you? Governments rely on this type of brain activity, or lack thereof. This stuff isn't rocket science. This is what happens when you go against and succeed in exposing the machine and all its perpetually gready money grubbers.

OMG! You're right!! The US gov't REALLY is planning to execute him! They won't even bother just having him killed. They'll do something sneaky involving multiple governments, a court case, extradition, then a secret trial in the USA which will result in an execution! Conspiracy theory hogwash.

BTW - your timeline omitted some very important pieces - the part where he bedded the two women, snuck in on each of them for some early morning fun without wrapping up, the two women talking and finding out they weren't the only woman in the creepy guy's life, decided to get back at him and going to the cops. No CIA involvement needed when you have two women scorned.

This should weigh on this decision. The large PRICE Ecuador may have to pay if they grant the asylum:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/asylum-for-julian-assange/2012/06/20/gJQAZpuJrV_story.html

There is one potential check on Mr. Correa’s ambitions. The U.S. “empire” he professes to despise happens to grant Ecuador (which uses the dollar as its currency) special trade preferences that allow it to export many goods duty-free. A full third of Ecuadoran foreign sales ($10 billion in 2011) go to the United States, supporting some 400,000 jobs in a country of 14 million people. Those preferences come up for renewal by Congress early next year. If Mr. Correa seeks to appoint himself America’s chief Latin American enemy and Julian Assange’s protector between now and then, it’s not hard to imagine the outcome.

If convicted of rape by Sweden what sentence can Assenge expect from the courts.

I read a report a few months ago that due to the circumstances of the allegations he was only looking at serving 3 or 4 years. Don't quote me on that though. This case is murkier than a mud wrestling pit.

OMG! You're right!! The US gov't REALLY is planning to execute him! They won't even bother just having him killed. They'll do something sneaky involving multiple governments, a court case, extradition, then a secret trial in the USA which will result in an execution! Conspiracy theory hogwash.

BTW - your timeline omitted some very important pieces - the part where he bedded the two women, snuck in on each of them for some early morning fun without wrapping up, the two women talking and finding out they weren't the only woman in the creepy guy's life, decided to get back at him and going to the cops. No CIA involvement needed when you have two women scorned.

the most important piece is that it took the two women several months to figure out that a 40 year old male might have had "unwrapped" sex with other women too.

av-11672.gif

• Like 2