What'S With The Pillow On The Knees For Girls On Television?

giddyup

I see a lot of girls on Thai television on talk shows etc that all have a pillow sitting across the top of their legs. Here's a tip, if you don't want to show your legs, don't wear tiny shorts or skirts!

Edited by giddyup

What looks great while you're walking around can become scandalous sitting down.

These are young fit looking women, not a sign of cellulite.

I was of course referring to Thais thinking a glimpse of underwear being scandalous.

Simple decorum.

Well I would have thought wearing a knee length dress would solve that problem.

But then they wouldn't look as good walking around would they?

They're trying to have their cake and eat it too, as in other circumstances.

They are trying, often successfully, to simultaneously look really fit but also really innocent. It is the popular look for women and the popular fantasy for men all the way from Japan to Jakarta. As if they have this inner battle : "I need to wear this really short skirt but I mustn't show anything 'cos that would be bad." It's all a carefully calculated image. Where did the pillow magically appear from?

Simple decorum.

Well I would have thought wearing a knee length dress would solve that problem.

Not if you want to look different when out and about. Also some skirts do not sit well below the knee and they maybe do not want to look like a secretary.

A simple cushion to hide that heaven they all carry.

Same reason they wear shorts under their skirts instead of bikini briefs.

I used to not understand why western women wear mini skirts and always keep pulling them down- an annoying habit, so I asked a woman at work why they did that, and was informed that they do it to draw attention to the fact that they are wearing a short skirt. In other words an attention getting ploy.

I'd imagine that the pillow is much the same, for drawing attention to the fact that they have nice legs.

I doubt it's to cover up anything private, as they all seem to wear short shorts under short dresses.

In my experience, it is a psychological reaction done to “protect” themselves. They feel vulnerable and the pillow is a barrier – same way some people may cross their arms. I have noticed most Thai women will do this in any new situation or surroundings “i.e., put a pillow on their lap when seated”. I imagine being on TV is particularly overwhelming for many and this is a natural response.

• Like 1

I used to not understand why western women wear mini skirts and always keep pulling them down- an annoying habit, so I asked a woman at work why they did that, and was informed that they do it to draw attention to the fact that they are wearing a short skirt. In other words an attention getting ploy.

I'd imagine that the pillow is much the same, for drawing attention to the fact that they have nice legs.

I doubt it's to cover up anything private, as they all seem to wear short shorts under short dresses.

Youv'e been on the escalator again haven't you? Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

We have a girl in the office that wears short skirts and then ties a jacket round her waist to cover her legs up.

Maybe she's just run out of clean trousers?

Edited by PattayaParent

We have a girl in the office that wears short skirts and then ties a jacket round her waist to cover her legs up.

Maybe she's just run out of clean trousers?

Maybe she likes to have arms around her waist all the time. :rolleyes:

..... Same reason they wear shorts under their skirts instead of bikini briefs.

I sense another shopping mall escalator lurker is afoot.

Under an open staircase is better :P

But I'll try taking the advice of your greater experience on escalators ;)whistling.gifbiggrin.png

my wife tells me it's to keep you from seeing their panties when they sit down. They want to wear a short skirt but the censors have issue with showing their panties when they sit so they are given a pillow or small blanket or shawl to cover their privates that might be exposed.

She even tells me of a Thai magazine called OHO that just prints pictures of the crotch and cleavage line of women when they sit down.

Edited by Jayman

When I lived in the UK I had a lot of young females visit my house, they invariably used to put a cushion on their knees when sitting down, even if they were wearing jeans or trousers. I think it's just a young woman thing, nothing to do with modesty, more a form of reassurance.