Tourist visa

Hello!  Many thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.  Unfortunetely all the posts have been accidentally deleted, but the jist of it was that I'm wondering about whether myself and my boyfriend have to get a tourist visa prior to visit, or if the visa on arrival would work.  

We are both flying into Bangkok, travelling overland to Cambodia Vietnam and Laos, and returning to Thailand for our return flight 6 weeks later. Since the flight dates show that we'll be 'in' Thailand for over 30 days, I was told we'd have to get a single entry tourist visa prior to travel, and show confirmed return tickets when re-entering Thailand.  I'm leaving for Bangkok from the UK and can get a tourist visa ahead of time without a problem, but my boyfriend Adam is currently working in the rainforest in the Philippines in a remote location.  He will be in Manila for a very short period of time when flying out, a day before we meet in Bangkok, and I wondered if he can apply for the visa by post?  Or, as has been suggested is it possible to change his return flight to a date within the 30 days limit, and then change it back once in the country?

Thanks!

Ooh, and I just found out something interesting on a website (see www.thaiinuk.com/nonvisa30day.html). Seemingly if we have confirmed tickets out of Thailand, by any transport (ie overland would be fine) we can just get the 30 day visa on arrival.  Does anyone know if this works?  Can we get a confirmed ticket on a bus/train etc. out and use that?  And assuming we can, how would we get the tickets booked and have them upon arrival at Bangkok?

If anyone has done this, or knows anything about it, any info greatly appreciated!   ::o:

Not correct...a confirmed outbound flight WITHIN 30 days is a condition of the grant of a 30 day visa on arrival.   Airlines will insist that you have a visa.  Your friend needs to contact the Thai Embassy in Manila or the Thai Consulate in Cebu.

Also the days of arrival and departure are counted

"Seemingly if we have confirmed tickets out of Thailand, by any transport (ie overland would be fine)"

Think the dr. is right, although you could read some rules as posted on the official airline site (they fail to say air ticket) this way the current www.thai-la.net site (which is one of the largest official sites) gives the following as the rule for UK citizens and last update is listed as 12/29/2002:

"You must have a valid British passport (6-month validity with empty visa pages), proof of confirmed air tickets showing 30 days or less in Thailand, must have clean record in Thailand (no criminal history) and carry at least $200 per person or $400 per family. Extension of stay will not be granted."

• Like 1

Thanks for the info!

Roger, could you reiterate what you'd said in your post, I didn't get a chance to re-read what you'd said before it was deleted - something about changing flights to allow 30 visa?  

Also, does anyone know if the Royal Thai embassy in Manila has an email address?

Cheers!

Hi Gayle,

As requested - what I suggested was:

You change your 6 week outward flight

to one within 30 days of your first arrival.

This will allow you to qualify for Visa on Arrival.

Once you are in Bangkok you can change your flights back to the original booking.

Roger

Thanks Roger, that's what I thought!  I'm looking into if Adam can do this, the only trouble now is that with my flight being non-transferable and non-refundable, (but I can go ahead and get the tourist visa ahead of time, no bother), we're hoping that if Adam can't get the visa, and has to do the changing flight bit, that he can get back on the original flight with me!  But this is an issue with the Airline, so we're checking it out!

Many thanks to all for the advice! Any recommendations for places to see (or avoid!!) in Northern Thailand welcomed!!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Surely not in this case Dr, as they state that they will be leaving the Kingdom overland and returning  - therefore, their 30 day visa will be restamped on entry when they returned and they would not be, at any point, in the Kingdom with an invalid visa.

That's what I've been wondering, Wolf!  

If our entry visa to Cambodia/Laos proves we leave Thailand within the 30 day limit, does that not allow us to take advantage of the visa on arrival?

We had planned to travel exclusively overland, but it will almost impossible for Adam to obtain a tourist visa ahead of arrival - the Thai Consulate in Manila informed him that he categorically cannot apply by post, and must apply in person, allowing 2 working days to process.  I'm currently looking into getting cheap flights to Cambodia/Laos/Vietnam from Bangkok, so that we can get the visa on arrival - but that's if I can find cheap flights!  Any suggestions as to websites/travle agencies/airlines i could try?!

Thanks all!

Hi Gayle,

You mentioned that you plan to visit laos, have you researched the requirements for obtaining a Lao tourist visa as well? my experience is from my visit 3 years ago, and getting a vist involved have a pair of passport photos, US$30, and an entire free passport page. i crossed the "friendship bridge" from nong khai to vientiane, and waited in line to "buy" a two week visa. i found this page that describes the trip:

http://www.gonomad.com/transports/0011/clontz_laos.asp

good luck planning your trip!

-joShua

Hi Gayle,

I think you might see things clearer if you

regard your trip to involve Two entirely

separate visits to Thailand.

You cannot expect Immigration Officials to

Regard your Trip to be a Single Visit to Thailand with

an exit and re-entry in the Middle.

As the Doctor says you need a visa or a 30 day ticket.,

The Visa is preferable but changing your outward flight

to within 30 days of your first arrival and changing it again once you are in Bangkok - is an alternative.

Sincerely

Roger

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!

We've finally managed to sort things out, by deciding to fork out a bit extra to get flights out to the the other countries we're visiting! We have confirmed tickets from BKK to Phnom Penh, which will allow us the visa stamp for 30 days on arrival in Bangkok.  We're then travelling back overland to Thailand and flying to Malaysia (opting out of Vietnam and Laos!), and again travelling back to Bangkok to fly home.  We intend to buy the Malaysian flights in Bangkok (before leaving for Cambodia, so we have the tickets upon returning to Thailand, to get the same visa again), as it should be much cheaper than booking from here in the UK.  I understand that there are good deals to be had, but that the reliability and reputation of travel agents there varies quite a bit- does anyone have any advice on seeking out a good travel agent in Bangkok?

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and advice!

Gayle  :o