Honda Cr-V Ignition Key

NanLaew

The key for the car has come up missing. It's the main one with the 2 buttons for locking/unlocking remotely. I still have a couple of spares; one has the electronic fob like the missing one but doesn't trigger anything (needs an internal battery or matching to the cars remote locker?) and the other is the 'skeleton' key for doorlock/ignition only. I also have the ID tag which I believe is needed for getting any replacement.

Is the Honda ignition key 'chipped' for added security meaning the dealership is the only place to get a new one? There's a key cutter kiosk at the local Big-C that has all types of electronic ignition keys, including Honda. I assume that he can recut a blank easily enough but matching the fob electronics to the car electronics for the remote locking may need some jiggery pokery.

Any advice, experiences or google search links welcome.

Thanks,

NL

You will see a slot on the key fob to insert a screw driver blade. Twist screw driver and the thing will open revealing the battery. I bought the replacement in Tesco's. Be sure to put it the correct way up. smile.png . Some fobs have a tiny screw, so not sure about CRV.

Thanks for all the tips! The thing is the spare key never ever did trigger the remote locking so I assume the dealer didn't program it since I popped it open today and the battery is in it. I didn't have time to check it with the meter though.

Anyway, I have read on the 'net that yes, the Honda key is 'chipped' but the spare key does start the car so at least that bit is working. I will meter check the battery manana and hope for the easy fix. I also found a procedure for configuring the key with the central locking entails lots of pushing the remote buttons and turning the ignition on and off multiple times so will also try that.

In the meantime, the wife (who misplaced the key) has been told that a new one costs 'many thousands' so she has been backtracking on her travels yesterday to see if she can find it!