Britain'S Olympic Football Thread

Abrak

Yes it just doesnt stop does it?

Britain will shortly announce its Olympic football squad. The team will play a friendly on July 20th against Brasil and the tournament starts at the end of the month. GB are slightly handicapped by the fact that many of the younger England players will be excluded because they were part of the Euro 2012 squad. Also it seems that for our 4 'over-age' picks (i.e. not under 23) we are going to pick players who are simply 'past it' like Beckham, Ryan Giggs and Bellamy. Still, England could well win this (at least according to the bookies) who have made them favorites to win their Group and 3rd favorites to win Gold after Spain and Brazil.

Of course expectations might be a little high. For instance, in their Group they have Uruguay. Uruguay are led by their 3 'over-age' players which include Suarez and Cavani (a forward from Napoli) upfront and the National team goalkeeper, Muslera.

Still this is perhaps nothing compared to Brasil who in their current 35 man squad have Neymar, Hulk, Damiao and Pato to choose from upfront. Spain are hampered similarly to England by having a number of their best younger players tied up in Euro 2012 but they are EU21 champions.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually looking forward to this, just hope not to many united players in there to hamper the start to the season, well maybe let Rooney play he needs to shed a few pounds and get match fit

beckham not in the squad apparently. quite a shocker that. times reporting that giggs, bellamy and richards are all in.

Cor... that's a rotten swiz..... Richards refuses to go on stand by and we have to send our best GB olympics RB available, Kelly, out to sit on the bench in Polkraine. Then Richards gets a special slot for the over-aged in the Olympics and our man from Hollywood who almost certainly can kick a mean ball especially if it is stationary, misses out. No slot for Steven Fletcher either - not looking good for Scotland!

Three cheers for Stuart Pierce for not bowing to what must have been serious pressure from certain quarters, and picking the squad on footballing merit. The impression has been given in the build up to this that somehow Beckham had some kind of entitlement to be picked, due to his celebrity status and the capacity of Brand Beckham for self promotion. I bet Victorwia is spitting feathers!

Three cheers for Stuart Pierce for not bowing to what must have been serious pressure from certain quarters, and picking the squad on footballing merit. The impression has been given in the build up to this that somehow Beckham had some kind of entitlement to be picked, due to his celebrity status and the capacity of Brand Beckham for self promotion. I bet Victorwia is spitting feathers!

Well sort of....

I mean actually GB scores 0 in terms of taking this tournament seriously and picking the best players available on football merit.

Take Brasil for instance, their squad (currently of 23) has been together now for well over a month and has had 4 'friendlies' against full senior international teams including a 3-1 win over Denmark and a 4-1 win over the USA. GB havent even announced their squad yet and they are not due to meet until next month.

Of course we are not going to play most of our best under 23s because they were in the Euros squad while the likes of Juan Mata will be playing for Spain. Then you would be hard pressed to say that Bellamy is the best you can do for an 'over-age' player in a tournament when there is a match every 3 days.

So it is pretty silly pretending you are taking it seriously when you are not (and other teams are). And if you are only there for show you might as well include Beckham and fill the stands.

beckham not in the squad apparently. quite a shocker that. times reporting that giggs, bellamy and richards are all in.

Cor... that's a rotten swiz..... Richards refuses to go on stand by and we have to send our best GB olympics RB available, Kelly, out to sit on the bench in Polkraine. Then Richards gets a special slot for the over-aged in the Olympics and our man from Hollywood who almost certainly can kick a mean ball especially if it is stationary, misses out. No slot for Steven Fletcher either - not looking good for Scotland!

i think it's really funny. beckham should never even have been on the longlist, it's the olympic games not a bloody hello magazine photoshoot.

didn't scotland say that they didn't want any part of it? hence no fletcher, adam, caldwell etc.

didn't scotland say that they didn't want any part of it? hence no fletcher, adam, caldwell etc.

Both the Wales and Scotland FAs said that they were not keen for players to take part for GB in the olympics but that it is a decision up to the players.

Bale has ruled himself out through injury although he was keen to take part.

I dont think there will be any Scots although that is down to the level of players. Same applies to the NOI.

Squad to be announced on Monday.

Squad: J Allen (Swansea), C Bellamy (Liverpool), R Bertrand (Chelsea), J Butland (Birmingham), S Caulker (Tottenham), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Southampton), C Dawson (West Brom), R Giggs (Manchester United), A Ramsey (Arsenal), M Richards (Manchester City), D Rose (Tottenham), S Sinclair (Swansea), M Sordell (Bolton), J Steele (Middlesbrough), D Sturridge (Chelsea), N Taylor (Swansea), J Tomkins (West Ham)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18675124

Having football at the Olympics is a total nonsense. The game has its own Olympic Games its called the World Cup.

But most sports have their own world championships. The correct conclusion would be the Olympics is a total nonsense. The crappy thing is pure marketing and sports officials self-agrandisement. Haven't watched it for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the San Jose v LA game on True Sports a couple of weeks back. For 10 minutes in the first half Beckham was absolutely spectacular - produced a 50 yard diagonal lofted pass onto Dempsey's boot that was out of this world and a couple of pinpoint crosses from the goalline.

Alas he did BA after that (except get into a near punch-up with the oppos). Seemed like the wrong decision from Pearce for a moment, but soon evaporated

The GB v Brazil match later tonight - 1.45am kick off - should be interesting. Brazil do really have one hell of a team on paper and it has all the makings of a cricket score. Brazil are now 8/13 to win having been backed down from 8/11. Any punters backing GB are being heroically patriotic I fear.

Brazil looked very good: as you'd expect. But GB looked very comfortable on the ball, unlike their England counterparts in the Euro. Yet in 2-3 years time many of these players will be in the senior squad playing like donkey clop clops. Viva Tom Cleverley, a truly good midfielder, doesn't surrender possession easily and very comforatble in possession.

Brazil looked very good: as you'd expect. But GB looked very comfortable on the ball, unlike their England counterparts in the Euro. Yet in 2-3 years time many of these players will be in the senior squad playing like donkey clop clops. Viva Tom Cleverley, a truly good midfielder, doesn't surrender possession easily and very comforatble in possession.

Just come across this post, Cleverley is a very good player and a big loss for us last season, he was instrumental in our good start and wolloping Arsenal 8-2 and then Davis of Bolton ended his season with a crude tackle, good luck to him at the Olympics.

When is team GB first game and will the games be shown on thai tv? nev.

Opening game draw for GB against Senegal 1-1 at Old Trafford. GB denied a blatant penalty in the 2nd half by very poor officials. They must have been confused by Ryan Giggs and thought Man U were playing at home.rolleyes.gif

Looks like it is going to be tough for GB as Senegal are probably the weakest team in the Group. UAE were very impressive and a bit unlucky in their loss to Uruguay.

Still a better start than Spain who went down 1 nil to Japan.

Anyone else think that the Welsh and Scots who are refusing to sing the National Anthem are out of order.

Doesn't say much for team unity when the captain makes a conscious decision not to sing the Anthem.

You can be sure that David Beckham would have belted it out.

Maybe SP chose the wrong captain.

• Like 1

There are no Scots in the team.

I don't think any of them should sing it anyway. Should stand respectfully and listen instead of singing badly just because people are watching.

Edit: I just read there are Scottish women playing..

Edited by tw25rw

I thought it ridiculous that Giggs was included in the first place, given his off field 'activities", and his attempt to stifle media reporting of his lifestyle. For me, Beckham was a far better choice, I am sure he would have picked up his game for the tournament, and he would have been a far better choice as Captain, someone the younger players could look up to, and who's experience of tournament play would have been invaluable, something Giggs has no experience of. He would also have sung the National Anthem, it was disgraceful that Giggs, and others, did not.

Pearce stated that he had picked the team on form, obviously Giggs was exempt from this criteria, his club form was abysmal, otherwise why did Scholes have to come out of retirement?

As to last night's game, for me Senegal played much the better football, their finishing was admittedly poor, but GB were lucky not to get a hiding. Possibly GB should have had a penalty, but overall their play was poor, and they were tactically inept, which didn't surprise me, having viewed Pearce's coaching "skills" with the U-21 team, who were simply awful in their last tournament outing.

In the press today, Giggs has been complaining of the tackling employed by Senegal, which was crude, but Giggs seemed to take every opportunity to try and manipulate the referee into giving out cards to Senegal players, every time a free kick was awarded, not the actions I want to see of a Great Britain Captain. There was also an incident in the first half, where Giggs pushed over a Senegal player, and motioned to the referee that the player had dived. It seems Giggs is not content to cheat in his personal life, he also does the same on the pitch.

I wouldn't have picked Richards either, picks up too many niggling little injuries in club play, perhaps the reason why England managers don't pick him.

BTW I am not a Man Utd fan, but perhaps you'd guessed that already.biggrin.png

Edited by MrMuddle

Yes, they should not be there, simple as that, played rubbish anyway! Looking at that display last night me it strikes me that if we should have bothered at all, then it would have been better just to go with an England U21 team who at least have played together before, plus a few oldies like Beckham.

(On a political note, I think it is best Scots leave and pretty soon at that, clearly don't want to be part of it and I think Many Englishman like myself don't want to be associated with them. Sooner that wall goes up the better as far as I'm concened.)