Britain'S Olympic Football Thread

Abrak

A bit of Chas and Dave would have been appropriate.......hard luck to the England and Wales team by the way.

You mean team GB, smokes. Or are you also splitting up all the other GB medals won by people from Wales, Scotland, NI and England.

Edit:- PS. Who did Andy Murray win the Gold for last night. Team GB or Scotland?

I'm bemoaning the lack of Scottish talent mate that's all....sad.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit of Chas and Dave would have been appropriate.......hard luck to the England and Wales team by the way.

You mean team GB, smokes. Or are you also splitting up all the other GB medals won by people from Wales, Scotland, NI and England.

Edit:- PS. Who did Andy Murray win the Gold for last night. Team GB or Scotland?

I'm bemoaning the lack of Scottish talent mate that's all....sad.png

You're only lacking in football talent though. Mindyou England has little to shout about either!

Of course it is only right to have freedom of choice if to sing or not.

The difference between this instance and all the others is that they were intent on making what many saw as an uncalled for reference to their place of birth and a blatant refusal / disregard to millions of Team GB supporters and those competing for medals.

They could have done this immediately after being selected for the honour of representing our country / Great Britain, politely, said no and let others more deserving take their places.

no, see i still disagree with this. 'god save the queen' is the english national anthem. the welsh have a different one. it's also a particularly pro-monarchist song. it's possible to be proud of playing football for the great britain team at the olympics while disagreeing with the concept of a hereditary monarchy and also while acknowledging that the song is the english national anthem anyway.

the minute you start demanding or forcing people to sing a particular anthem you start to sound a bit like north korea.

From what I have seen Stevie, it's only been the footballers who have had a problem with it.

I also disagree about your view of the national anthem. God Save the Queen is the National Anthem of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. End of, that is exactly what it is.

However, England doesn't have an official national anthem of our own and therefore God Save the Queen is treated as the English national anthem when England are represented at most sporting events. Scotland chop and change, I think they originally had Scotland the Brave and then changed to Flower of Scotland. Wales have Land of My Fathers and Northern Ireland have Danny Boy (don't know the real name). However, hopefully we will have our own English national anthem one day because that one is <deleted> boring. If I remember rightly, did we adopt Jerusalem for the Commonwealth Games.

In the rugby league they sometimes play Land of Hope and Glory. It's a bit more stirring and is an English tune rather than a German one..

No one should demand you sing the national anthem as in freedom to sing or not to sing, nor should they display open resentment prrior to the commencement of play.

It should have been sorted previously prior to the build up and in private, otherwise it becomes unbecoming of the Olympic Ideals and what it is supposed to stand for.

They could have lodged their opposition then and sorted it out.

I guarantee DB would have done it differently, rather than sya it wasn,t important..

Like shaking hands before a game, as if that,s going to make things more friendly and helpful.

Shake after by all means , but certainly not before.

don't really understand what this 'open resentment' is.

Giggsies demeanor and in particular his his stone faced confronational facial expression during the singing of the Anthem.

If he,d had a bit of a more relaxed or it had been the more friendly one that we are used to seeing from him it would not for me have mattered so much.

In years gone by, like in the fifties, I,d always resent those who mistakenly ( arrogantly and forcefully ) always brainwashed us with the must sing, must stand for the Queen ect.ect. when to be honest at my young age, I could neither understand why I should have to and could not get my young head around it.

Just like having to go to church on Sundays and must be religious ect.for similar reasons, but that,s another story.

Thank whoever that we can now choose for ourselves now while IMHO always thinking of others while doing so and the effects they may have on them.

There was a still photo of Giggsie in one of the papers capturing his reaction during the National Anthem and he looked really pissed off and angry, not the way to be before such an importantgame olympic style, pathetic or what

By the way he will on several occasions had the chance to personally meet not only the queen in person, but other members of the revamped modern royals including the Prince,s Harry and William, now the Duke of Cambridge of course,along with his Kate,

Constantly present and staunch supporters at many of the events taking place not only as official representatives of the olympics but as genuine lovers of all the disciplines and wanting to join in with everyone.

Ordinary people could only dream of such a thing happening to them Giggsy, yet you go and throw it back in their faces by this silly episode.

How lucky you are to be able to do the many things your phoney, privilidged positions in society bring you,

And take all the trappings that come with it ( from the less priviliged who pay for it all via the turnstiles ) for granted to boot.

Shame on you

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

Double Post

That,s maybe the after effects of eating vindaloo, don,t worry Mr B It,ll soon go thru you.

marshbags laugh.png

P.S. The gold is for both, yet another heart warming result and so well deserved...and also Rogers comments afterwards, brilliant and genuinely spoken.

Edited by marshbags

Giggsies demeanor and in particular his his stone faced confronational facial expression during the singing of the Anthem.

If he,d had a bit of a more relaxed or it had been the more friendly one that we are used to seeing from him it would not for me have mattered so much.

In years gone by, like in the fifties, I,d always resent those who mistakenly ( arrogantly and forcefully ) always brainwashed us with the must sing, must stand for the Queen ect.ect. when to be honest at my young age, I could neither understand why I should have to and could not get my young head around it.

Just like having to go to church on Sundays and must be religious ect.for similar reasons, but that,s another story.

Thank whoever that we can now choose for ourselves now while IMHO always thinking of others while doing so and the effects they may have on them.

There was a still photo of Giggsie in one of the papers capturing his reaction during the National Anthem and he looked really pissed off and angry, not the way to be before such an importantgame olympic style, pathetic or what

By the way he will on several occasions had the chance to personally meet not only the queen in person, but other members of the revamped modern royals including the Prince,s Harry and William, now the Duke of Cambridge of course,along with his Kate,

Constantly present and staunch supporters at many of the events taking place not only as official representatives of the olympics but as genuine lovers of all the disciplines and wanting to join in with everyone.

Ordinary people could only dream of such a thing happening to them Giggsy, yet you go and throw it back in their faces by this silly episode.

How lucky you are to be able to do the many things your phoney, privilidged positions in society bring you,

And take all the trappings that come with it ( from the less priviliged who pay for it all via the turnstiles ) for granted to boot.

Shame on you

marshbags whistling.gif

what a load of old pony marshbags. giggs concentrating and getting his game head on is 'open resentment'?

there's enough reasons to dislike and have a pop at footballers without inventing them.

• Like 1

No one should demand you sing the national anthem as in freedom to sing or not to sing, nor should they display open resentment prrior to the commencement of play.

It should have been sorted previously prior to the build up and in private, otherwise it becomes unbecoming of the Olympic Ideals and what it is supposed to stand for.

They could have lodged their opposition then and sorted it out.

I guarantee DB would have done it differently, rather than sya it wasn,t important..

Like shaking hands before a game, as if that,s going to make things more friendly and helpful.

Shake after by all means , but certainly not before.

don't really understand what this 'open resentment' is.

Shame on you

marshbags whistling.gif

So it was all down to Giiggsy "comfrontational facial expression" from a still photo! clap2.gif

We will have to tell the photographer to send the chilled one of him smiling for you next time........then everything would be sweet eh? thumbsup.gif

A really crap rant aimed at one player,shame on you.

Shame on you

marshbags whistling.gif

what a load of old pony marshbags. giggs concentrating and getting his game head on is 'open resentment'?

there's enough reasons to dislike and have a pop at footballers without inventing them.

Is that the best you can do Stevie, It was shown in more depth during the pre match formailities.

I gave you this example which is one of many by the way and if you watched the underperforming players, you,ll have seen it live,

I used to admire him and was looking forward to seeing him play, but I went right off him and the others who refused to get involved in the spirit of the olympics, then again it comes as no surprise really.

We witness how they behave when playing for their mega millions every season not to mention their phoney commitment as was and the renaging of contracts with a DGAF about the paying supporters or any iota of loyalty towards them or their clubs ect. ect..

Giggsy concentrating eh, I must admit that that was one of the excuses you and others in denial may use as to why he was aggreived.

We have all played not only football but taken part in other competitive sports and his demeanor wasn,t that of a someone concentrating on the game, I reckon you for one would have kept an eye on him once the competition got going and would have been ready for / wary of a possible, no lets make that probable confrontation.

Thanks to the genuine efforts, sportsmanship and fair competitive input of every other member of Team GB, my feel good factor continues to grow by the day and the footie fades into insignificance

There,s a laugh for you as far as the GB male team goe performance, footie wise..

I reckon they should have reversed the sexes and given the ladies team there places.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

So it was all down to Giiggsy "comfrontational facial expression" from a still photo! clap2.gif

We will have to tell the photographer to send the chilled one of him smiling for you next time........then everything would be sweet eh? thumbsup.gif

A really crap rant aimed at one player,shame on you.

Same as with Stevies response and as for rant, it is far from it, this is not an aggravated opinion of what I witnessed along with millions of others, just pure and simple disappointment and sadness about what was once a respectable game and not even attempting to get into the spirit of the Olympics from the outset.

Do you really believe this is just a marshbags rant, open your eyse if you do, witness what is taking place on a consistant basis all over the globe along with the genuine respect and friendly demeanor within the arena of competition, slightly interupted be yes you know British premadonna,s who,s brians are not programmed to act like wise, only to resent and hate ect. ect.

What sad backstuds the offenders are, some of them would be in jail if they had done a miniscule of the things they get away with in their priviledged positions of society.

Once loved and admired by everyone and players really being great role models for us the fans who appreciated it.

Now all you get out of football is the constant disrespect, swearing, greedy, self only attitude and cheating, not to mention wanting to and at times succeeding in crippling the other team, ect. ect. ect. to win at any costs against their opponents.

You will also know I could go on and on but I don,t want it being seen falsely as yet another rant.as this undermines my genuine sadness of how I feel regarding the way fooball has degenerated into the way it is today.

You probably wouldn,t know or recognise the truth and will continue to be in denial of how it really is and the effects of it all.

Bill Shankly I can confidently inform you, would have been equally saddened come to think of it had he been in situ today along with other stalwarts of good old fashioned, but fair competition, no way would it have turned into the circus it has now become.

Their coaches were also a different breed when it comes to how the game should and was played.

marshbags whistling.gif

Edited by marshbags

i watched the matches marshbags. giggs set fire to a union jack off camera as well and wiped his arse with a ten pound note. the evil britain-hating bastard.

I expected better from you, sarcastic responses in place of truthful constructive opinion oh dear.

Now the footie forum is beginning to undermine itself, you can and do deserve so much better than this.

As I,ve said before while I do not actively feel inclined to join in the banter, I have always enjoyed reading many of the comments and found it an entertaining thread and yes you really can do better than this.

marshbags whistling.gif

i watched the matches marshbags. giggs set fire to a union jack off camera as well and wiped his arse with a ten pound note. the evil britain-hating bastard.

While I don,t personally approve of what he did, he is far from being an E B H B, as for this post maybe I should print it off and put it on the string hung on the S/H door on a rusty nail with the newspapers we cut up for the wiping and polishing purposes threaded on it.

Hmmmm.

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

What are you all going on about and why did Giggs wipe his arse with a tenner? Isn't the captain supposed to set an example?

it was part of this display of open resentment that only marshbags saw. giggs also revealed a t-shirt saying 'don't buy a poppy' and a tattoo saying 'churchill was a knobhead'.

What are you all going on about and why did Giggs wipe his arse with a tenner? Isn't the captain supposed to set an example?

it was part of this display of open resentment that only marshbags saw. giggs also revealed a t-shirt saying 'don't buy a poppy' and a tattoo saying 'churchill was a knobhead'.

biggrin.png He is a naughty fellow.

biggrin.png He is a naughty fellow.

Is that the bloke who shagged his brother's wife then?

Marshbags

Are you a bitter city fan or a yorkshireman?

Time for take whippet out lad!

Looking forward to your opinions on Joey "twitter" Barton or even Luis passifier.gif "racist" Suarez..........Even Norman "nutter" Hunter or Nobby "bite your legs" Styles tongue.png Mckay Bremner the list goes on of them confrontational old dogs!!

Marshbags

Are you a bitter city fan or a yorkshireman?

Time for take whippet out lad!

Looking forward to your opinions on Joey "twitter" Barton or even Luis passifier.gif "racist" Suarez..........Even Norman "nutter" Hunter or Nobby "bite your legs" Styles tongue.png Mckay Bremner the list goes on of them confrontational old dogs!!

That the best you can do, some of the regulars on this forum really are low life when it comes to making comments pointless comments like this.

I feel sorry for all the good guys who are regulars who are decent fair minded footie fans, keep debate civil and never get bitter, even when comments are not to their liking.

Me I was invited long ago to get involved on the discussion, even invited to one of the early meetings when they first got going.

I turned it down because of <deleted> like you and nameless other individuals because being a Yorkshireman I don,t take verbal sh*t from no one and didn,t want to spoil the party for those who I respect and consider decent fairminded people.

Typically you cannot get the better of those who think differently to yourselves so revert to trolling in an attempt to wind those up who are winning the debate or get the thread closed.

Looking back on the comments of late, I cannot find one post were those who do not like what decent minded posters have to say have bothered to post consructive response, all you do is pick one liners out and do your worst to get adverse reaction.

I also see it isn,t working as no one has played the troll ball back at you. whistling.gif

I could just imagine your ilk running around like rabin headless chickens on the park, doing what some of the present day professionals are taught to do when things aren,t going their way.

Especially when they think no ones looking at them.

Me, I think you really are sad, pathetic no brain individuals who are a total discredit to a wonderful and knowledgable forum who can banter in the true sense of the word and sportingly give and take.

By the way those golden oldies you mention would soon have cleared the park of the trash that continually go about using thuggery ect.

Most important of all, yes they could give it out, they were also man enough to take it back but that was when men were men and truly played the game when respect was about in abundance.

Like other posters have observed, I cannot for the life of me fathom out the point of the one liners or see what they have to do with Giggsy re the debates content, neither can I understand why you are attempting to pull Man.City into it either.

A bit bitter cause they won the PL title are you ???????????

Proves another point I made about being bad sporstmen, they deservedly won it and you aught to be congratulating them GENUINELY if you haven,t already done so and not just offering lip service.

Over the season they were the best team and played the best football as far as this neutral PL football supporter is concerned.

Up the Owls and anything you post on my team will fall on blind eyes and deaf ears so don,t waste your negativity and troll like comments..................

Dam_n the whistle has just blown full time on this thread for me, thanks to those who have offered reasonable comment and debate, i,ve enjoyed the banter and fair differences of opinion for those who reasonably thought otherwise.

Got to get back to watching the heart warming Olympics, may whoever is up there keep the nutters away and let us be able to see a wonderful conclusion of what has and is a testimony to everyone who are a part of it, all the competiors for their uplifting sense of fair play WIN OR LOOSE and the unbelievable support of everyone who has been able to attend.

Britain is now even greater thanks to GB / UK participants and the friendly assistance of our citizens toward all nationalities attending

Thanks also to you Mr B for keeping the thread going and as always being a decent adjudicator on everyones point of view.

Respectfully

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Chiil out man .........my post was actually banter.

Your stinging attack on Giggs just because he wasn't singing the anthem is a little over the top don't you think old boy?

You seem a very angry man coffee1.gif

Ok guys, calm down

Football is about bringing people together. We may see things differently but Lets not turn different opinions into attacks against other members

Ps blah mrbo beat me!!! Grrrr

Cool it chaps, the seasons nearly here. Not long now. I must admit, i could have picked a better time to quit smoking. 3 weeks, 5 days and 9 hours.

I have cooled down MrB but i'm still furious at the manner of which Giggs wasted a ten pound note. ohmy.png Shocking behaviour!

Well done quiting smoking btw. if you start struggling, which i trust you won't, read "easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr. Worked for me.

Edited by carmine