British Tourist Stabbed By Illegal Tourist Bus Worker

george

The Philippines is by far worse for crimes against tourists.

By the way....I'm closing my sip satang on this thread &

heading out to do some photography. Bye for mow.

Edited by sunshine51

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you check statistics (Wiki), you will discover that Thailand has nearly as many gun deaths as the US - a country where everyone may own a gun...

The US has a much larger population that Thailand too. In actual fact you are more than 10 times more likely to be a victim of gun homicide in Thailand than in the US (33 per 100,000 in Thailand vs 3 per 100,000 in the US).

I life in Samut Sakhon. The last 8 month 3 Thai people were killed (in a circle of 20 Km from my house) by gun. Many people carry a gun here. One of my friends work for the newspaper. Sometime he show me pictures from killed people. I think the last year a lot of more peopke were killed in this small area. I don`t have the accurate numbers for this.

If you check statistics (Wiki), you will discover that Thailand has nearly as many gun deaths as the US - a country where everyone may own a gun...

The US has a much larger population that Thailand too. In actual fact you are more than 10 times more likely to be a victim of gun homicide in Thailand than in the US (33 per 100,000 in Thailand vs 3 per 100,000 in the US).

It is fascinating that a country where supposedly almost no one has a gun, Thailand, has a gun homicide rate ten times higher than a country where almost everyone has a gun and has hundreds of thousands of gang bangers shooting each other on a regular basis......

I still think a lot of the shootings here are related to " settling " business disputes so probably do not pose a risk to tourists, except for the police shooting you like in Pai and Kanchanaburi.

Regarding this case, I think it is really a cultural issue. Since it appears to be mostly the underclass doing these kinds of crimes, I think the issue is the concept of bottled up rage. Eat shit for a long time , then snap.... It is all these smiles here that fail to alert you that the guy is about to go postal..... So if Thailand values tourism which I believe they do, either directly address the cultural issues creating this kind of anger, or impose such draconian punishments against anyone who attacks a tourist that no Thai would even think of doing an attack.

FYI - those stats are wrong and actually been covered many time here.

It is fascinating that a country where supposedly almost no one has a gun, Thailand, has a gun homicide rate ten times higher than a country where almost everyone has a gun and has hundreds of thousands of gang bangers shooting each other on a regular basis......

I still think a lot of the shootings here are related to " settling " business disputes so probably do not pose a risk to tourists, except for the police shooting you like in Pai and Kanchanaburi.

Regarding this case, I think it is really a cultural issue. Since it appears to be mostly the underclass doing these kinds of crimes, I think the issue is the concept of bottled up rage. Eat shit for a long time , then snap.... It is all these smiles here that fail to alert you that the guy is about to go postal..... So if Thailand values tourism which I believe they do, either directly address the cultural issues creating this kind of anger, or impose such draconian punishments against anyone who attacks a tourist that no Thai would even think of doing an attack.

<deleted> ?? Are your saying that Wikipedia is wrong ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Thailand 33 per 100,000 USA 4.14 per 100,000

This is really a stretch even for the rose colored glasses brigade.... Get a grip Nisa.

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

This is really a stretch even for the rose colored glasses brigade.... Get a grip Nisa.

Yes, I am saying it is wrong and as I have said, it has been covered many times here. Do a little research. The total murder rate (all causes) in Thailand is 5.3 per 100,000 but somehow you want to believe there were 33 per 100,000 gun deaths (which by the way would equal about 63 gun deaths per day).

But don't let logic or facts stand in your way of believing what you want ... and certainly don't be surprised by my sarcasm since I tried nicely and politely to point our what was initially an understandable mistake only to get your response.

Edited by Nisa

Good question, ('Are you saying Wikipedia is wrong?'),because the Wiki article gets its numbers from mostly UN sources, some from other Gov. or NGOs, so if Wiki is wrong, so is the UN ->

Sources

• (Krug 1998) EG Krug, KE Powell and LL Dahlberg. "Firearm-related deaths in the United States and 35 other high- and upper-middle-income countries.", International Journal of Epidemiology1998. [3] Statistics among 36 countries between 1990 and 1995.
  • (UNODC 2002)The Eighth United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (2001 - 2002). United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime 2005.[5] This report provides more updated information on homicide by firearms, but not on suicide by firearms.
  • (UNODC 2000)The Seventh United Nations Survey on Crime Trends and the Operations of Criminal Justice Systems (1998 - 2000). United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime 2002.[1] This report provides more updated information on homicide by firearms, but not on suicide by firearms.
  • (Barrow 2000) Greg Barrow. "SA gun deaths rise", BBC, 2000-02-15.[6]
  • (Kaiser 2004) Deaths Due to Injury by Firearms per 100,000 Population, 2004. StateHealthFacts.org, 2008-04-08 [7]
  • (GunCite 2008) International Homicide Comparisons. GunCite.com, 2008-04-08 [8]
  • (CDC 2012) Fatal Injury Mapping (2004-2006). CDC.gov, 2012-02-05 [4]
  • (GunPolicy 2012) Global Impacts of Gun Violence. GumPolicy.org, 2012-02-10 [2]

The figures are based mainly on surveys and reports by government agencies and subject to their reliability. In addition, the figures may vary significantly over the years due to changes in crime rate trend. The death rate is also sensitive to fluctuation if the absolute number of incidents is small and for countries with relatively small population such as Mauritius and Singapore

[bTW - the 'stretch' is even greater if the UK is included, which on the table cited is less than 0.5 per 100,000.]

Yes, I am saying it is wrong and as I have said, it has been covered many times here. Do a little research. The total murder rate (all causes) in Thailand is 5.3 per 100,000 but somehow you want to believe there were 33 per 100,000 gun deaths.

A death can be included in the 'Death by Firearm' table, without being a 'murder' - many can be shot accidentally, or be a death that end up being called 'manslaughter' so it would not appear in the Murder rate you cite. In other words, 'Death by Firearm' and 'Murder' are not a perfect overlap.

Yes, I am saying it is wrong and as I have said, it has been covered many times here. Do a little research. The total murder rate (all causes) in Thailand is 5.3 per 100,000 but somehow you want to believe there were 33 per 100,000 gun deaths.

A death can be included in the 'Death by Firearm' table, without being a 'murder' - many can be shot accidentally, or be a death that end up being called 'manslaughter' so it would not appear in the Murder rate you cite. In other words, 'Death by Firearm' and 'Murder' are not a perfect overlap.

Please do a bit of research. There are not 23,000 gun deaths a year in Thailand or what would average to approx. 63 gun deaths a day , which the state would indicate, making it far exceed vehicle deaths and possibly (probably) all causes of death as well as being about 6x greater than the murder rate by all causes.

Hmmm we are moving a bit off topic here... but this site is showing a rate of 41.1 per 100,000

http://www.nationmas...per-100-000-pop I also suspect that the rate of murder and death by firearm are pretty dam_n close. Guess you would need to exclude people who accidentally shot themselves.... :-)

But the bottom line is this . There is a level of violence here that tourists as well as long term expats need to be aware of. If you travel to the Bronx in New York, you know it is dangerous and you watch your back like a hawk. The problem here is that tourists are buying into the TAT Land of Smiles and are not being careful. The reality is you will be most likely be run over by a baht bus or killed while on a rental bike , but that risk is harder to control.......

Side note: Thailand may be more powerful than we think. I just rechecked the Wiki site of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate . Amazingly enough, Thailand has ceased to exist on that web page. This morning it was on the web page and showing 33.0 per 100,000. Strange.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Hmmm we are moving a bit off topic here... but this site is showing a rate of 41.1 per 100,000

http://www.nationmas...per-100-000-pop I also suspect that the rate of murder and death by firearm are pretty dam_n close. Guess you would need to exclude people who accidentally shot themselves.... :-)

But the bottom line is this . There is a level of violence here that tourists as well as long term expats need to be aware of. If you travel to the Bronx in New York, you know it is dangerous and you watch your back like a hawk. The problem here is that tourists are buying into the TAT Land of Smiles and are not being careful. The reality is you will be most likely be run over by a baht bus or killed while on a rental bike , but that risk is harder to control.......

Side note: Thailand may be more powerful than we think. I just rechecked the Wiki site of: http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate . Amazingly enough, Thailand has ceased to exist on that web page. This morning it was on the web page and showing 33.0 per 100,000. Strange.....

So now, there are approx. 28,000 gun deaths per year as opposed to the approx. 13,000 deaths on the road per year in Thailand?

FYI: Wikipedia is a site anyone can edit.

Side note: Thailand may be more powerful than we think. I just rechecked the Wiki site of: http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate . Amazingly enough, Thailand has ceased to exist on that web page. This morning it was on the web page and showing 33.0 per 100,000. Strange.....

The edits show it was changed today. The IP address gives a True router

So now, there are approx. 28,000 gun deaths per year as opposed to the approx. 13,000 deaths on the road per year in Thailand?

Can edit and did apparently . Wow.... Anyway before this site is edited as well, Nationmaster is showing a gun murder rate for Thailand of 20,032 for the year.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

So what these numbers show is that Thais are not adverse to blasting some one they do not like... :-) This Brit was lucky in that the kid only had a knife. Although the wound was pretty close to his heart.... Note to self: when confronted by an angry Thai, beg for mercy and give him whatever he wants.....

This is the report where this info is coming (United Nations) ... http://www.unodc.org..._survey/7sc.pdf

It seems obvious that Thailand is reporting incorrectly when it comes to homicides by guns and may be reporting all crimes involving a gun.

In 2000 it is reported
Thailand has 23,631 INTENTIONAL homicides by gun
(277 non intentional). Yet there are only
5,717 TOTAL INTENTIONAL HOMICIDES
from all causes in Thailand this same year.

So, lets please end this conversation that has already occurred numerous times on the board. The Gun Stats are wrong.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

Lot's of activity here while the members are waiting for a new dead or injured foreigner here in Thailand that they can use for new conspiracy theories ................. bah.gif

Given the events of the last few weeks probably will not have to wait for long..... :-) No conspiracy here , which would imply a group of clever people working towards a unified negative goal. This was just mindless violence.....

This is the report where this info is coming (United Nations) ... http://www.unodc.org..._survey/7sc.pdf

It seems obvious that Thailand is reporting incorrectly when it comes to homicides by guns and may be reporting all crimes involving a gun.

In 2000 it is reported
Thailand has 23,631 INTENTIONAL homicides by gun
(277 non intentional). Yet there are only
5,717 TOTAL INTENTIONAL HOMICIDES
from all causes in Thailand this same year.

So, lets please end this conversation that has already occurred numerous times on the board. The Gun Stats are wrong.

possibly too low.

Were you the one who changes it Nisa?

• Like 1

Can edit and did apparently . Wow.... Anyway before this site is edited as well, Nationmaster is showing a gun murder rate for Thailand of 20,032 for the year.

http://www.nationmas...s-with-firearms

So what these numbers show is that Thais are not adverse to blasting some one they do not like... :-) This Brit was lucky in that the kid only had a knife. Although the wound was pretty close to his heart.... Note to self: when confronted by an angry Thai, beg for mercy and give him whatever he wants.....

Or don't be a typical naive Westerner who thinks that his/her superiority is enough to prevent someone from doing some serious damage to them. Running off at the mouth without a care as if nobody would do anything.

Not making any comment about this particular gentleman, but I see it so often. Fellow Westerners running off at the mouth with some form of ultra confidence that can only be attributed to old beliefs of superiority and immunity.

I dont know why guyz you are still comparing murder rate between thailand and US.

When there is more european people living here than US citizen.

If you check stats, you will see that there are more murder in thailand than in the whole european union.

Yes you read it right, more murder in a country of 67 millions people than in 25 country alltogether with nearly 500 millions people.

And no one never claimed that Europe was heaven on earth...whistling.gif

Edited by Bender

Dude should have checked his valuables and policed his surroundings before alighting. Just saying...

True. If one leaves a wallet around where a worker that only earns about 3,000 to 5,000 a month finds it, it doesn't surprise me that the cash went missing.

Not as though he was pickpocketed either.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me- how could he "call" the bus, why would it come back, why would they give the wallet back instead of just claiming ignorance of it?

When I left my glasses on a bus, I had to go to where the bus was parked to get them at my own expense.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

What threads like this really bring to the surface is that there are quite a few farang's on here who've passed their sell by date.

It's clear that many should have left the Kingdom years ago. They've become jaded and cynical. It's important to know when to move on but i doubt most of them will do anything of the sort. They'd rather live in the seediest, mafia run cesspits in the country and then moan about the crime statistics. Meanwhile most of Thailand is still a lovely place to live.

Exactly. These people probably flew here, and spent the entire flight in the crapper. When asked, "How was your flight?" their airline review is "The seats are uncomfortable, didn't even have a seat-belt and the whole place simply smelled like s*** !" What a surprise to spend your life in the Red Light District then be shocked there is crime! Who would have expected that??? 555 !
  • Like 2

What threads like this really bring to the surface is that there are quite a few farang's on here who've passed their sell by date.

It's clear that many should have left the Kingdom years ago. They've become jaded and cynical. It's important to know when to move on but i doubt most of them will do anything of the sort. They'd rather live in the seediest, mafia run cesspits in the country and then moan about the crime statistics. Meanwhile most of Thailand is still a lovely place to live.

Exactly. These people probably flew here, and spent the entire flight in the crapper. When asked, "How was your flight?" their airline review is "The seats are uncomfortable, didn't even have a seat-belt and the whole place simply smelled like s*** !" What a surprise to spend your life in the Red Light District then be shocked there is crime! Who would have expected that??? 555 !

You have a point, occasionally, but, not the same point. all the time, every time! Post all your complaints over the past few years in a 'special' spreadsheet!, we can enjoy, without negative commentary~

• Like 1

Not that it matters. There is places in the US that are crazy dangerous and I have lived in two of them. Who care which place is statistically safer. When you are the victim it matters little.

Edited by ttelise

Dude should have checked his valuables and policed his surroundings before alighting. Just saying...

True. If one leaves a wallet around where a worker that only earns about 3,000 to 5,000 a month finds it, it doesn't surprise me that the cash went missing.

Not as though he was pickpocketed either.

The whole thing doesn't make sense to me- how could he "call" the bus, why would it come back, why would they give the wallet back instead of just claiming ignorance of it?

When I left my glasses on a bus, I had to go to where the bus was parked to get them at my own expense.

This has been covered so many times, read the thread.

he did not call the bus back, the bus dropped them off and then left to clean the toilet on the bus, the bus then returned to the petrol station as that is where it was due to leave from with new passengers,