Loudspeaker Driving Me Crazy

sensei

Which other countries in the world have these speakers throughout the villages, telling the residents what to think?

Whilst the speakers in our village too are a pain in the a** at times I can't think of a time there has been someone telling the locals what to think.

Most of the time it's local issues such as when the canals will be opened for the paddies or what is available at the nearby health center. Hardly brainwashing.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit - if you know the political leaning of the git making the noise, after destroying the speaker chuck some Red or Yellow paint on it with a pic of Thaksin or some yellow shirt idol. That way they will blame someone else. With a bit of luck, it might spark a riot in your moobahn and you can sneak out and do a bit of looting; after all, your Farang so have no involvement in politics thus they will leave you alone.

In fact, better still, tonight pop out and put up big posters of Thaksin everywhere with ultra strong glue with messages such as "You know he's great - join the party" and "the only good politician is one who buys your vote". Then, the next night, go round throwing yellow paint on them and scrawling "death to Thaksin" and other such messages on the posters. Soon enough, all the villagers will take a side, accusing each other. Create a war in your moobahn. A riot will follow, and in the middle of it all after you've completed your christmas shopping (aka, looting) take a hammer to the bloody things.

We live in thailand and this is their way of communication within the village or town or city.

This is of course a relatively recent development. In our village as in many others the speakers are for unimportant announcements and music. I still am not sure if the purpose is people like to break the monotony of their lives or if it is to make the speaker feel important or both. When there is an important message our village uses genuine face to face communication rather than those ridiculous, impersonal, crackling monstrosities. The sad thing is every time I see them I can only think how much money is wasted on those things that otherwise could go into actually helping the people of the village in some way.

What I would give to experience a traditional Thailand village where there were no loud speakers, no trucks driving around with loud speakers, people didn't burn plastic in their yard, people weren't buzzing around needlessly on motorcycles as if fossil fuels were a resource that should be wasted and each bike modified to be as loud as possible, when they farmed organically rather than in chemical soup and burning of the fields, and people didn't throw plastic litter everywhere. Granted there are still some positive things about Thai villages, but it is really a sad case study of how technology can be so terribly misused.

I agree. If it was up to me, people would not be allowed on aeroplanes until they had demonstrated that they could accept whatever culture they were going to find themselves in, without whinging about the behaviour of those they found there. You should move back to Memory Lane and your whippets and your wholemeal bread and your rickets and your doodlebugs...

To be honest, I think it all started to go wrong, the Pandora's box, started with the wheel. From then on, it was a a steady but accelerating descent towards the technological nightmare that we find ourselves in. Where is Luddite Man

?

SC

try having muslim speakers at 5 am every day...had it and could do nothing else than to move out (was in prawet area) and MIL dropped out there when we arrived from home country

yeah...if ye live in a muslim area then the early morning call to prayer can be a bitch...but this is distinct from the tiresome announcements and 'music' from the poo yai in a thai village...the muslims acccept the call to prayer as part of their daily routine...I lived in Indonesia and the Middle East for many years and managed to sleep thru it...fortunately, although I live next to a tesseban premises in a town in rural Thailand their loudspeakers are just out of earshot...

If it was up to me, people would not be allowed on aeroplanes until they had demonstrated that they could accept whatever culture they were going to find themselves in, without whinging about the behaviour of those they found there.

Thai villagers use technology, loudspeakers in this case, to engage in unnecessary behavior that is destructive to the entire village. There is nothing wrong with someone asking how to cope with it. You are the only one whining.

• Like 1

or...maybe capture the perps and convince them to play Tony Bennett and Frank S. to lullaby and assist with early morning repose...

That could lead to a farang suicide. sad.pngsmile.png

well...howzabout Johnny Mathis?

and I bet that transam has got him on the 8 track in his hot rod...cuddlin' in the back seat on the tuck 'n roll upholstery with his honey...'eek! yer ruining my pantyhose!...'

"Oh you are wearing pantyhose? I thought you must have been a virgin -"

Up here we get quiet Issan music..he slowly ups the volume... just a bit, for 5 minutes then he talks for a little bit ... all done in under 15 minutes ..quite civilized. Sure beats standing on the skytrain platform in Bangers.

What I find strange is that everyone, and I mean everyone, that I have asked in our village hate the early morning messages over the speakers and hate the 4 am chatting over the speakers at the local wat.

Why don't you ask them to turn the volume down i ask?

Cannot is the only answer I seem to get.

I wish I could understand but I just don't get it.

Edited by apetley

7. Listen to Barry Manilow

Judge Paul Sacco of Colorado, tired of doling out ineffective punishments for people playing their music too loudly, in 2008 decided to fight fire with fire. Instead of the usual fine, he ordered repeat offenders to listen to his music selections for one hour at high volume. Sacco's eclectic collection included easy-listening maestro Barry Manilow and the theme song from the children's show Barney and Friends.

(

)

"This is a way, when I look back, of teaching manners to people," Sacco said.

from http://theweek.com/article/index/229828/6-ridiculously-bizarre-court-sentences

so there is justice in this world, albeit a little harsh in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Monk day today so the local wat fired up earlier than usual and at what seemed to be more volume.

At about 15 minutes it suddenly went very quiet.

Saying a silent prayer to the god of power cuts I managed an extra hour of sleep.

Wifey has just returned from the local shop and found out it wasn't a power cut at all but one of the locals turned up and threatened if they didn't turn it off there would be trouble!

• Like 1

Yes the locals can revolt sometimes.

I have a Thai friend who lives in Chaiyaphum.

Alot of the people in her village are rubber tappers so work alot during the night.

Their local temple got a new sound system installed that disturbed everyone when they were trying to sleep.

She said that the problem was solved when the monks were threatened that if the noise wasn't kept down then there would be trouble for them too!

Edited by apetley

Alot of the people in her village are rubber tappers so work alot during the night.

Their local temple got a new sound system installed that disturbed everyone when they were trying to sleep.

She said that the problem was solved when the monks were threatened that if the noise wasn't kept down then there would be trouble for them too!

Reading this post and the one before by edwinchester, I find it strange that there were complaints to the wat because thai's generally will not complain openly about anything. They certainly won't where we live.

I personally don't mind it as I am usually awake long before 0445 and most times like the music although todays selection would be more appropriate at a teenage birthday party.New novice monk maybe.

Reading this post and the one before by edwinchester, I find it strange that there were complaints to the wat because thai's generally will not complain openly about anything. They certainly won't where we live.

I personally don't mind it as I am usually awake long before 0445 and most times like the music although todays selection would be more appropriate at a teenage birthday party.New novice monk maybe.

I agree. I am very surprised when a Thai actively complains about anything especially when the local temple is concerned but it does happen sometimes.

Let me tell you about my Thai wife.

Earlier this year one of the nearby temples started playing the monks chanting over the speakers at 4am every single day. Not just monk days and it was at a ridiculously loud volume.

Alot of people in the village were seriously pissed off but would they talk to the head monk about it? No!

What several did though was ask my wife to talk to the monks there and ask them to cut the noise. They know my wife will speak up when she has to and she too was getting annoyed at being woken up every morning.

Well she spoke with the monk and lo and behold the noise stopped on days other than monk days.

Minor miracles sometimes do happen if only people would man up and talk over problems!

I agree. I am very surprised when a Thai actively complains about anything especially when the local temple is concerned but it does happen sometimes.

Earlier this year one of the nearby temples started playing the monks chanting over the speakers at 4am every single day. Not just monk days and it was at a ridiculously loud volume.

Alot of people in the village were seriously pissed off but would they talk to the head monk about it? No!

What several did though was ask my wife to talk to the monks there and ask them to cut the noise. They know my wife will speak up when she has to and she too was getting annoyed at being woken up every morning.

Well she spoke with the monk and lo and behold the noise stopped on days other than monk days.

Minor miracles sometimes do happen if only people would man up and talk over problems!

I personally would never complain myself about anything concerning the wat or something over the village system but the only thing i do complain about is the unnecessary noise pollution when there is an election on it"s way.

I think a lot of Thais dont like noise but say nothing. Whilst recently building a house in a quiet part of the country a pick up drove past speakers blaring about something, I loaded my imaginary snipers rifle and shot them dead, The workers on site thought it was hilarious so reckon they agreed

• Like 1

I think a lot of Thais dont like noise but say nothing. Whilst recently building a house in a quiet part of the country a pick up drove past speakers blaring about something, I loaded my imaginary snipers rifle and shot them dead, The workers on site thought it was hilarious so reckon they agreed

Did the same with one of those dog napper pick-ups and copped a middle finger out of both sides of the cab.

The local wat across the road fired up thier speakers at 0445 this morning and my dogs chimed in with thier latest hit

" How much for those two doggies on the balcony ". Ow ow ow owwwwww woof ow ow owww woof woof.

Yoo looky bastard! How did you arrange the extra 15 minutes sleep?

Today is start of Bhuddist lent, so next 3 months its going to be 75 dB of - noise - through my place at 4.30 am, going by last couple of years. Usually get to sleep 1 - 1.30.

But good to see feedback is coming to Thailand! Huge latent market. With change.org (thai br) Isaan lady got bus co to stop the gory movies on the BKK bus.

I wish my wife would take a leaf out of your wife's book.

I thought the simple rule to avoid all this was don't move to the sticks. Avoid hillbilly area's and you don't get the speakers. tongue.png

I thought the simple rule to avoid all this was don't move to the sticks. Avoid hillbilly area's and you don't get the speakers. tongue.png

You have to be kidding.

You have to be kidding.

That is what the bloke with the tongue out usually implies....

You have to be kidding.

You don't have to be to be out in the sticks to have this problem.We have another property close to bangkook and it is the same in there.

That is what the bloke with the tongue out usually implies....

wait till it's dark out and cut the wires.

keep doing that and eventually you will find your peace again...

clap2.gif Would ear plugs work ?

No it will take too long, the wire cutters will cut them much faster...............trust me on this

Alternatively set up your own speakers ona post on your land and blast away whenever you feel like it, when/if the complaints come in refer them to the original speakers to set a precedent..............................I can see it now, you not Thai you dont understand/ culture

• Like 1

Some years ago somebody posted a great solution whose details I can't remember precisely but no doubt an electrician here will elucidate.

It involved puncturing the wires with a tiny pin and shorting them out. The puncture and pin would be nearly invisible and so difficult to find that the gov't hacks wouldn't be able to discover the source of the problem. They'd assume the speakers were defective or need to replace the entire wire, not perceiving sabotage at all. If they didn't give up the first time around, eventually they would.

This is the best advice i have heard.

• Like 1