Wifi - Condo Question

Retired2

I have TOT ADSL using the TOT issued TP 2 ADSL Router. WiFi Coverage for my condo is fine.

I would like to be able to share my signal with friends who come to visit, several times a year.

I am on the 8th Floor and they are on the 2nd Floor. My signal does not reach that far.

We both have a common electrical raceway, carrying various cables and lines.

Could we use that raceway to add another Ethernet line?????

I would be happy to buy whatever hardware we need.

Anybody have any ideas?

Good design recomendations are

Maximum length of a well constructed cable is 90M (allow 10M for patch cords) to kep within the 100M CAT5/6 rules

Keep the network cable at least 6 inches from power cables especially for long parallel runs

If you can do this there should be no problem as long as your condo management have no objections as noted above,

If using a router at your friends apartment rather than a single outlet some configuration may be required in your router to allow them to open ports or share files with you.

Agree with the above and also use riser rated (CMR) cat 5e or cat 6 cable. The riser rated cable has a higher resistance to burning if a fire broke out in the raceway.

You can then put a small switch or even a wifi router with switch ports on their floor to use. Using the router, the "wan" port will be on your network, they'll be using the DHCP of the wifi router on their floor, either wireless or wired. Simple and effective.

I personally would never allow a third party to be on the same network address segment, particularly in different premises. Your own machines would be quite vulnerable to inadvertent viral infection, based on their browsing and security habits, and deliberate attack (by, say, a guest in their apartment).

At the very least, you should have an additional router at YOUR end with NAT to feed the ethernet to their premises.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

If you put a WiFi access point in the apartment on the second floor in "bridge" mode and change yours to "bridge" mode it will double the effective range and hence may allow them to collect (Google "WiFi bridge mode").

Running a cable seems an expensive and unncesssary trouble.

Alternative is a Air Card - in BKK the speed is as good as most home ADSL and certainly more than faster enough for holiday browsing!

Thank you for the good replies.

Air Card service down here is too slow for Skype - which is mainly what they want.

We thought about 3G but True shot that idea down pretty quickly.

Ordinarily I would not trust my line to anyone but me - but i do trust them and it is

only for about 4 or 5 weeks out of the year.