Wimbledon 2012

Bit late in starting this one....great match last night and a win for Andy Murray. biggrin.png

Can he reach the final this year I wonder?....I think he will have to beat Djokovic in the semis should both players make it that far.

Looks like Federer has the easiest run.

Thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, about Andy Murry ... will it be the same old catch cry.

When he wins ... he's English, but when he bums out ... he's Scottish?

Speaking of winning ... I wish I could speak of winning Aussies ... ermm.gif

Aussies all out of Wimbledon 2012

Australia’s diabolical Wimbledon is complete with the country’s last singles hope crashing out on day three.

Far from restoring Australia’s battered tennis reputation, US Open champion Samantha Stosur compounded the misery with a mistake-riddled second-round loss to world No.72 Arantxa Rus.

Stosur’s defeat rounded out Australia’s worst grand slam performance in the 45-year open era – and almost certainly the worst in 136 years of major championships ... crying.gif

Here

Who told you that crock of 5h1t, personly I dont know 1 English person who wants the drama queen to win.

I'll say 1 thing for him, after watching his balls keep popping out his shorts yesterday it appears he doesn't have the traditional Scotch short arms and deep pockets.

Who told you that crock of 5h1t, personly I dont know 1 English person who wants the drama queen to win.

I'll say 1 thing for him, after watching his balls keep popping out his shorts yesterday it appears he doesn't have the traditional Scotch short arms and deep pockets.

I see the Henman hump is alive and well...rolleyes.gif

Actually the topic is popular enough to get it's own website!

"As the country prepares for its annual fortnight of tennis fever, Scottish and English fans will be supporting Andy. But should he suffer an embarrassing early exit, he will suddenly become as Scottish as haggis."

Tennis fans decide if Andy Murray is Scottish or British

Yes I didn't expect to get a reply from an Aussie...

Actually, believe it or not ... we are quite fond of the Poms ... biggrin.png

Can't speak for a whole nation, but I like the quaintness of Wimbledon.

The grass courts, less Yanks in the crowd screaming out their inane comments thinking they are funny. As an aside ... I just hate their 'git in the hole' comments anytime someone hits a golf shot in front of an American tournament. Yet, perversely ... really admire the Barmy Army ... and the West Indies Calypso Bands.

Plus, for Wimbledon, the timeslot works for us, starting the morning coverage (your time) on TV at 7.30pm our time.

Most of the Grand Slams have gone to cable. The free to air station only carry the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

As for the Ashes ... time will tell young smokie36 ... dry.png

Yes I didn't expect to get a reply from an Aussie...

Actually, believe it or not ... we are quite fond of the Poms ... biggrin.png

Can't speak for a whole nation, but I like the quaintness of Wimbledon.

The grass courts, less Yanks in the crowd screaming out their inane comments thinking they are funny. As an aside ... I just hate their 'git in the hole' comments anytime someone hits a golf shot in front of an American tournament. Yet, perversely ... really admire the Barmy Army ... and the West Indies Calypso Bands.

Plus, for Wimbledon, the timeslot works for us, starting the morning coverage (your time) on TV at 7.30pm our time.

Most of the Grand Slams have gone to cable. The free to air station only carry the Australian Open and Wimbledon.

As for the Ashes ... time will tell young smokie36 ... dry.png

We enjoy the banter too....and i will tell you...I don't watch much cricket david...but for the Ashes I will be glued to it.

Also i will whisper this softly to you.....its the only time i ever support England.

So now you know....

• Like 1

Bit late in starting this one....great match last night and a win for Andy Murray. biggrin.png

Can he reach the final this year I wonder?....I think he will have to beat Djokovic in the semis should both players make it that far.

Thoughts?

Actually, I think you will find that for some strange reason the number one seed plays the number three seed in the semi's (if they get that far), so it's Murray who have the easy road to the final. Especially now that Nadal is out.

Sophon

Thoughts?

Actually, I think you will find that for some strange reason the number one seed plays the number three seed in the semi's (if they get that far), so it's Murray who have the easy road to the final. Especially now that Nadal is out.

Sophon

That's an oddity isn't it? Well I'm happy to hear that...hope he continues to play well today...barring rain of course. he started a little shakily yesterday though.

Ferrer just never gives up so Murray will have to be technically very good today. Every chance of getting through this one....I'll be hoping Tsonga gets beat as well....whistling.gif

So tell me Mr Smokie, who do you reckon us English should be supporting when he plays Ferrer? I'll just be happy to see a good match without the embarrassment of Master Murray pretending to be injured, the stupid ginger blert biggrin.png

Ferrer just never gives up so Murray will have to be technically very good today. Every chance of getting through this one....I'll be hoping Tsonga gets beat as well....whistling.gif

I'm a fan of both Tsonga and Baghdatis (who Murray beat in the 3rd round over 4 sets).

Tsonga and Baghdatis ... personalities without being prima-donnas ... unlike our young rising star Tomic ... ermm.gif

So tell me Mr Smokie, who do you reckon us English should be supporting when he plays Ferrer? I'll just be happy to see a good match without the embarrassment of Master Murray pretending to be injured, the stupid ginger blert biggrin.png

Don't bring your irrational bigotry into this carmine. :D

Its just not tennis!

You should be getting behind Murray...at least he has a chance of winning.

Unlike the spineless Henman....:lol:

I stuttering start again by Murray...in fact it was the fourth set before his first serve started to flourish....effectively ending the match really.

He will need to improve if we are to see a Britishwhistling.gif winner this year.

Come on carms....insight please...i know you are an avid fan really. biggrin.png

Terrific game. Murray was very close to being 2 sets down. Now he has his best chance to make the final. If he does you have to imagine he would be facing Djokovic.

I would love to be wrong but the odds must be on a Scottish loser rather than a British winner.

So smokie36, what about a word on the chances of the Brit in the men's semi-final today?

Winner goes onto to play the Final on Sunday, correct?

Chances of the Brit?

Win/Loss record against the opponent?

Win/Loss record in Grand Slams Semi-finals?

So smokie36, what about a word on the chances of the Brit in the men's semi-final today?

Chances of the Brit?

I don't do that guff David...Its all about passion and emotion....and i believe he can make the final yeah....after that its in the hands of the Gods....

Edited by smokie36

Chances of the Brit?

The semi is on Friday, tomorrow, or today depending on where you are, unfortunately for me, it is tomorrow. I think but am not sure, it is 4-1 to the Scot in the last 5 meetings and 1-1 in Grand Slams, but not sure of the round in the GS.

However, the Scot will win in straights.

Chances of the Brit?

The semi is on Friday, tomorrow, or today depending on where you are, unfortunately for me, it is tomorrow. I think but am not sure, it is 4-1 to the Scot in the last 5 meetings and 1-1 in Grand Slams, but not sure of the round in the GS.

I am hoping you're right Moss...but what makes you so certain?

I am hoping you're right Moss...but what makes you so certain?

smokie36 ... quoting from you above ... 'Its all about passion and emotion' .. he just believes!

Belief got Queensland over the line in the deciding State of Origin just played.

And from an Aussie perspective ... good luck to him ... thumbsup.gif

Edited by David48

He's Scottish! He's Scottish! biggrin.pnglaugh.pngsmile.png

No he won. He must be British. May revert to a Scotsman on Sunday depending on the result.rolleyes.gif

As a neutral I reckon he has a decent chance of pulling it off. Best of luck to him.

Why was there only two other people watching the match at the sportsman bar last night.... I thought the nation was supposed to be transfixed. There were more people watching the rugby....

He's Scottish! He's Scottish! biggrin.pnglaugh.pngsmile.png

No he won. He must be British. May revert to a Scotsman on Sunday depending on the result.rolleyes.gif

As a neutral I reckon he has a decent chance of pulling it off. Best of luck to him.

Actually i think you'll find as with most scots they are infact brits only when they lose which is what normally happens. laugh.png

That aside, the Fed will give the miserable ginger whinger an almighty drubbing in the final unless his first serve holds up and even then very doubtful.

Lets hope so anyway