What Food Do You Miss The Most In Thailand And Crave?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss good rice. Very hard to get in Thailand. No boil in the bag Uncle Bens like at home. Pity that , so difficult to boil it without the plastic bag.

Please tell me that this is a joke! I never, ever, appreciated the different diversities, intracacities, and flavours of of different types of rice before coming to Thailand!

I miss good rice. Very hard to get in Thailand. No boil in the bag Uncle Bens like at home. Pity that , so difficult to boil it without the plastic bag.

Please tell me that this is a joke! I never, ever, appreciated the different diversities, intracacities, and flavours of of different types of rice before coming to Thailand!

I think one problem with the rice in Thailand is that it's invariably made separately from the rest of the meal. As in, its always rice + gaeng or rice + egg or rice + whatever. They always cook standard rice (except for Kao Mun Gai, but that's not a big departure).

I wonder why they never experimented the way others have, a la paella, risotto or creole jambalaya.

wow, just get to any shop and buy good quality jasmine or fragrant rice. It is just genuinely tasty and its aroma fills the whole house when boiling it.

I think one problem with the rice in Thailand is that it's invariably made separately from the rest of the meal. As in, its always rice + gaeng or rice + egg or rice + whatever. They always cook standard rice (except for Kao Mun Gai, but that's not a big departure).

I wonder why they never experimented the way others have, a la paella, risotto or creole jambalaya.

Jasmine rice doesn't make good jambalaya or gumbo, better than basmati though.

I have my family eating jambalaya, ettoffe, and have even used checken flvoring and herbs and stuffef cornish hens for them with rice! I started finding all kinds of goodies lately at Villa, just bought 3 cases of squirt, couple of Mt Dew code red, and an aussie import peach soda that tastes like real peach. Also hormel smoked sausages and now Hormel sliced Hot Supresada Salami and Calabris salami. Next week my pepperoni arrives from us along with some other goodies FED EX. Now if I can just find some Mahi Mahi, I'll be in heaven!

I have my family eating jambalaya, ettoffe, and have even used checken flvoring and herbs and stuffef cornish hens for them with rice! I started finding all kinds of goodies lately at Villa, just bought 3 cases of squirt, couple of Mt Dew code red, and an aussie import peach soda that tastes like real peach. Also hormel smoked sausages and now Hormel sliced Hot Supresada Salami and Calabris salami. Next week my pepperoni arrives from us along with some other goodies FED EX. Now if I can just find some Mahi Mahi, I'll be in heaven!

Thais are very fond of Cajun/Creole. I have found the most popular for a party is BBQ ribs liberally dusted in Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning before cooking. I bet Boudin would go down a storm too.

Thais are very fond of Cajun/Creole. I have found the most popular for a party is BBQ ribs liberally dusted in Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning before cooking. I bet Boudin would go down a storm too.

I been using lousiana breand for years and made a large order a while back to keep stocked up. I use their crab boil as a spice as well, is a little strong but got it down pat on doses They all love it when I spice up the water and cook potatoe chunks, then add ears of corn, and finally add the shrimp, and drain and serve on big sheet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

perogies

hmmmm yes! Moved from Canada to Aus ..missed 'em..after about 6 months turned out friend's Mum was eastern European ..cooked up from scratch...wonderful .....with fried potatoes onions and sour cream..etc..could not keep me away always invited me when she cooked ....

.....never seen sour cream here in the boonies? .....miss that and chives and bacon bits on roast BBQ potatoes with centre cut Aussie lamb chops ....drool.....

• Like 1

Speaking of rice does anyone know where you can get American long grain like Uncle Ben's? I'm in Bangkok. I am sick to the back teeth with mushy jasmine rice.

I haven't seen many restaurants serve actual jasmine rice, though some may claim otherwise. Unless high-end, they usually serve a cheap rice - not sure the name(s) but its NOT "hom malee" (jasmine), and is often mushy and bland due to being cooked with too much water, as they "eyeball" the ratio using an inaccurate finger-dip technique, instead of actually measuring. Most likely, you've been experiencing the cheaper rice.

Jasmine rice, cooked properly, is aromatic and not sticky or mushy - far better than Uncle Ben's Perverted Rice (which tastes like cardboard in comparison). To cook jasmine rice properly, just use approx. 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water. So, 2-cups of rice to about 3-cups water (actually, i find that about 2-cups rice to 3-cups minus 1-Tb water to be perfect).

Done right, it doesn't get any better than Jasmine... save for perhaps Basmati, depending on the application.

Despite being married to a Thai, I have to make the rice myself at home if I want it done right.

The wife refuses to use a measuring cup.

Speaking of rice does anyone know where you can get American long grain like Uncle Ben's? I'm in Bangkok. I am sick to the back teeth with mushy jasmine rice.

I haven't seen many restaurants serve actual jasmine rice, though some may claim otherwise. Unless high-end, they usually serve a cheap rice - not sure the name(s) but its NOT "hom malee" (jasmine), and is often mushy and bland due to being cooked with too much water, as they "eyeball" the ratio using an inaccurate finger-dip technique, instead of actually measuring. Most likely, you've been experiencing the cheaper rice.

Jasmine rice, cooked properly, is aromatic and not sticky or mushy - far better than Uncle Ben's Perverted Rice (which tastes like cardboard in comparison). To cook jasmine rice properly, just use approx. 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water. So, 2-cups of rice to about 3-cups water (actually, i find that about 2-cups rice to 3-cups minus 1-Tb water to be perfect).

Done right, it doesn't get any better than Jasmine... save for perhaps Basmati, depending on the application.

Despite being married to a Thai, I have to make the rice myself at home if I want it done right.

5555 my my scientific....had a few oriental partners and they have all used the flat hand in the pot water level test....that said my wife always takes out a few drops of water when I try to cook rice in the cooker...think even if it right she would still do it.

She always grabs a handful of rice and smells it at our rice shop...??? It always smells like Chanel hand cream to me...5555?

chinese food. the chinese restaurants here taste quite differently. dam_n i miss those chinese buffet

Chinese food in China bears little relationship in taste to Chinese food served in restaurants in the West, if it did then only very few people would eat it and Chinese restaurants just wouldn't be popular at all, you can guess which one is healthier!

5555 my my scientific....had a few oriental partners and they have all used the flat hand in the pot water level test....that said my wife always takes out a few drops of water when I try to cook rice in the cooker...think even if it right she would still do it.

She always grabs a handful of rice and smells it at our rice shop...??? It always smells like Chanel hand cream to me...5555?

I use the flat hand method and also smell the rice. The amount of water and to some extent the cooking method differs according to the age of the rice, the age of the rice can be discerned through its appearance and or smell. If you don't eat rice often then buy the cheap stuff which is still better than you find in the west but if you are a big rice eater then pay the extra and get good stuff between 6 and 12 months old (IMO) 36-50 Baht a kilo. With regard to American long grain.... American cuisine has evolved using quite a robust rice (along with selective breeding of the rice itself), Jasmine (J) and Basmati (B) are too weak (physically) to make a Cajun/Creole dish such as Jambalaya or many other dishes I have eaten in the US which cook the rice in a stock. J & B don't cook well in stock (unless it has no fat). That is not to say it cannot be done and Biryani is a good example though the rice for it is usually well aged or sunned (partial shade)

perogies

hmmmm yes! Moved from Canada to Aus ..missed 'em..after about 6 months turned out friend's Mum was eastern European ..cooked up from scratch...wonderful .....with fried potatoes onions and sour cream..etc..could not keep me away always invited me when she cooked ....

.....never seen sour cream here in the boonies? .....miss that and chives and bacon bits on roast BBQ potatoes with centre cut Aussie lamb chops ....drool.....

I get most of my sour cream at the Villa Markets, but Tesco Lotus ususall has some at the stores around here. Vill was carring Minute Rice you had to cook but was white long grain! I make some cajun dishes with the white rice my wife uses, but must add and let simmer to get the taste in the rice instead of the scoop and cover method they use here!

I use the flat hand method and also smell the rice. The amount of water and to some extent the cooking method differs according to the age of the rice, the age of the rice can be discerned through its appearance and or smell. If you don't eat rice often then buy the cheap stuff which is still better than you find in the west but if you are a big rice eater then pay the extra and get good stuff between 6 and 12 months old (IMO) 36-50 Baht a kilo. With regard to American long grain.... American cuisine has evolved using quite a robust rice (along with selective breeding of the rice itself), Jasmine (J) and Basmati (cool.png are too weak (physically) to make a Cajun/Creole dish such as Jambalaya or many other dishes I have eaten in the US which cook the rice in a stock. J & B don't cook well in stock (unless it has no fat). That is not to say it cannot be done and Biryani is a good example though the rice for it is usually well aged or sunned (partial shade)

Well, I was speaking in context of the post, which specified eating in Bkk (assumed Asian food).

And I did qualify that with "depending on the application".

Obviously you can't make risotto or arancini with jasmine or basmati rice... and of course sticky rice is unto its own. Not sure about gumbo, never made it, but couldnt you just add jasmine rice later than you would normally with the American rice, thereby boiling it less so it doesnt break down?

Well, I was speaking in context of the post, which specified eating in Bkk (assumed Asian food).

And I did qualify that with "depending on the application".

Obviously you can't make risotto or arancini with jasmine or basmati rice... and of course sticky rice is unto its own. Not sure about gumbo, never made it, but couldnt you just add jasmine rice later than you would normally with the American rice, thereby boiling it less so it doesnt break down?

No intention to offend.

Did notice your 'depending on the application' which may not seem much to some but is very true.

Gumbo is served over rice so you could use anything but Jambalaya has the rice cooked in the sauce, the rice absorbs the sauce rather than water or a thin stock which would be easier to handle. American long grain is somewhat robust in that it has a wider margin of error while Jasmine rice, and certainly Bismati rice does not. Reduce the margin of error (which is tricky) and it turns out OKish but given that you cannot know for certain just how much liquid the onions, bell peppers and celery will release you are playing with fire. If it's Creole style with tomatoes it gets even harder.

Heh. I stumbled across your reply somehow posted in the tomato sauce thread...

------------

No offense taken.

And oops... yeah, I meant Jambalaya in reference to what you were explaining previously. No idea why I typed "gumbo" other than it was early in the morn and still sipping my coffee.

BTW for Cajun/Creole cooking, is the American long grain you refer too Carolina/Patna Rice?

Edited by NanaFoods

Thanks for the explanation!

wow, just get to any shop and buy good quality jasmine or fragrant rice. It is just genuinely tasty and its aroma fills the whole house when boiling it.

How I pity the townsfolk who have to "buy" rice. The best rice of all is home grown; no matter how you cook it.clap2.gif

How I pity the townsfolk who have to "buy" rice. The best rice of all is home grown; no matter how you cook it.clap2.gif

have to agree and the older rice is better, my wifes aunt has rice stored and used at around 12 months old we brought a couple of sacks down to pattaya with use when we moved, free of course from the family farm.

Wife uses the hand flat on top of the rice to gauge the water, i cant do this as my wrist wont bend back like that

GRAPES, APPLES, STRAWBERRIES, CHERRIES...

yes, theoretically you can buy that here, but the kg grapes are around 1,000 baht... some halfway acceptable apple from 20 baht per piece...

i never thought before, we were THAT spoiled in europe when it comes to food...

in terms of

- availability

- quality

- pricing.

i even thought, the contrary was the case... geez...

Edited by biggunguy

BTW for Cajun/Creole cooking, is the American long grain you refer too Carolina/Patna Rice?

Not sure to be honest. Mahatma brand extra long grain if I can get it, not much in the flavour department but at always turns out well regardless of how much abuse you give it. To be frank, if you make a mess cooking Mahatma then the kitchen is not the place for you and you should consider selling it.

Anyway. Pan roasted pork tenderloin in a cream and Dijon mustard sauce for tea with home made croquette potatoes and stuffed field mushrooms so I'd better get on with it.