Quality Of Thai Milk

JimmyTheMook

I normally buy Meji brand milk, it is always the most expensive.

Have found the bit cheaper priced brands tend to really have an off flavor, mainly Chokchai being the worst with Dutch Mill a close second.

Is it the pasteurization process here that throws off the flavor ?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have often wondered that myself. Thai milk tastes very sour to me. I wouldn't even call it milk. Perhaps it's the amount of preservatives? Considering they actually have a product here called sour milk, I think it's just what the Thai's prefer, so they make it that way. Dutch Mill, ChokChai, Meiji and Foremost all make me want to vomit. The best by far is Magnolia. Oddly, it's even better than the imported California Sunshine milk they occasionally have at Villa Market.

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

In Switzerland, what I would call 'sour milk' comes from cows that have been fed on silo feed, not getting out to the prairies at all. The Swiss (at least the older ones) avoid this 'milk' by buying more expensive 'bio-milk'. I know the taste but am not too aware of the chemical processes involved, but silo feed is the result of fermenting maize and such like over winter in large hoppers instead of mowing hay and storing it.

I haven't seen any hay makers lately.

It's made from milk powder

except for the stuff that comes directly from the cow. Doesn't change what I said above, though, milk powder should be tasty

Chances of getting fresh milk from a shop in Thailand is close to zero. I agree the milk (from powder) should and could be better but it all depends on the powder that is purchased. If the powder is cheap it is because elements have been removed and sold separately. Bet most of it comes from the China & Fonterra (NZ) link up.

Villa has started to import milk from California, comes in the classical large square container thats so common in the states. Its expensive but its real actual milk, not this powder crap.

Villa has started to import milk from California, comes in the classical large square container thats so common in the states. Its expensive but its real actual milk, not this powder crap.

I just buy strawberry or bannana flavoured milk, it tastes much better, I went off milk in Thailand the first time I had conflakes with Thai milk, mind you the first time I had a Thai steak was the last. It's just not milk, and neither is it steak but oh TIT.

• Like 1

Chokchai is a dairy farm , why are people saying the milk is powdered ?

It is a 50:50 mix with powder.

Sometime more, sometime less, depending on cow production.

Anyway, Khun Chok have sold the business, but the new owner still retain the right to the brand.

My preference is Chokchai - tastes better IMHO than the others. Meiji close second. Dutch milk tastes too creamy (even the 0% fat which I always buy) and over xmas at work someone left an opened bottle of the stuff in the fridge for 2 weeks and when I got back, it was still the same. 100% milk my arse.

• Like 2

As already mentioned, most milk sold in Thailand is made from imported milk powder. It is my understanding that under Thai food labeling regulations, if milk has the appellation "fresh" in its description/label then it is what we in the west would consider as whole milk (non-powdered). If you check the labels, you will see that it's very rare to find any with the word "fresh" milk...if you do, that brand or at least that line, is non-powdered milk.

As for the milks in general, I don't find any of them having any particular taste/odor issues...but I use non-fat milk and mainly for mixing in my morning protein shakes.

I've recently decided to convert to soymilk from my usual meigi cows milk.

I found Vitamilk & Lactasoy brands to be really good nutritionally and quite cheaper too.

The only thing i still buy and use cows milk for now is to put in my tea & coffee.

As for cereal for breakfast it's soymilk.

Careful with the lactasoys and most soy milks here, they taste like they have a lot of sugar added. Not having a box infront of me now I'm only going from memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if is sugar content is equal to soft drink.

Sent from my HTC One X

• Like 2

Careful with the lactasoys and most soy milks here, they taste like they have a lot of sugar added. Not having a box infront of me now I'm only going from memory, but I wouldn't be surprised if is sugar content is equal to soft drink.

Sent from my HTC One X

Yeah, i've looked at the sugar content and it's about 8% on most, but i found Vitamilk do a low sugar version

which is 4.5% therefore it just means i don't need to use any sugar or sweetener powder on my cereal as the

soymilk makes the taste just sweet enough.

In the States, I haven't been able to drink milk since I was a young kid. Stomach churning, diarrhea, etc. But here I drink the milk just fine. Why is that?

Probably because you were drinking fresh 100% cows milk in the States but not the case here in Thailand.

I think a lot of it has to do with where you were brought up and what you were used to. I was brought up in the UK on door step non homogenised milk and found the milk in the States tasted "funny" when I went there. Also as someone pointed out, the feed of the cow can make a difference. Here in Thailand I find the closest taste for my liking is Mejji.

It seems I have been mislead! I assumed Farm Chokchai Fresh Milk came from Chockchai Farm. But they sold that part a few years ago. However on the bottle, they state 100% Fresh Milk so I'll stick with it (I am slightly lactose intolerant, and i get the burn with it but don't with Meiji or Dutch Milk; being a dumb arse and preferring it, I will keep using it though lol)

Dutch Mill is power. Meiji is too. Dutch Mill just tastes wrong. Meiji OK, but part of the same group as owns True, and I'm not giving those b*stards any more of my cash than I have to.

• Like 1