Thinking Of Buying A Civic

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from thaicruze's link of 9th Gen Civic-"I was shocked to find that after reading the Honda technical paper four times that the 1.8 is really very different in how it makes power. In brief, it was designed to have the power of a 2.0 yet the fuel economy of a 1.5. This is accomplished in innovative ways. The main theme that stuck out was that it uses the high lift power cams first, yes first. They are always on until economy conditions are called for, then VTEC switches on to the low lift cams. Yes you read that correctly. They give the great gas mileage, and are used in low load conditions between 1000 and 3500 rpm."

This might be how the ECO button worked?

How is the 1.8 from the 9th gen different from the 1.8 of the 8th gen? A friend gets about 12 km/l around my parts.

It has to get more than that, I get that out of my pick-up.

Not around town they don't. My 7th gen 2.0 gets about 10km/l around Nonthaburi (average speed is about 30/40 km/h overall). I think I got close to 12 once on a highway run. My wife gets better but she drives slowww. Pickups are relatively more fuel efficient for their engine size. The new civics could be a bit better but not enlugh that I'd sell mine to get another. My next (second car), will be an ecocar.

Taken from thaicruze's link of 9th Gen Civic-"I was shocked to find that after reading the Honda technical paper four times that the 1.8 is really very different in how it makes power. In brief, it was designed to have the power of a 2.0 yet the fuel economy of a 1.5. This is accomplished in innovative ways. The main theme that stuck out was that it uses the high lift power cams first, yes first. They are always on until economy conditions are called for, then VTEC switches on to the low lift cams. Yes you read that correctly. They give the great gas mileage, and are used in low load conditions between 1000 and 3500 rpm."

How is the 1.8 from the 9th gen different from the 1.8 of the 8th gen? A friend gets about 12 km/l around my parts.

I think Honda did some re-tune on the 9th Gen..u might wanna do a wiki search to see if it reveals anything?

I come from a country where the same Honda Civic of the same model costs 4.5 million bahts!To me-The civic sold in Thai is dam_n cheap!

What country do you come from?

Singapore

Its the taxes in Singapore. Crazy "COE" tax they have there.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Yupz..as of now-The 'COE' paper alone for the 1.8 Civic stands at a whopping 2.16 mil thai baht!

I know it sounds crazy but there are still people buying...

It has to get more than that, I get that out of my pick-up.

Not around town they don't. My 7th gen 2.0 gets about 10km/l around Nonthaburi (average speed is about 30/40 km/h overall). I think I got close to 12 once on a highway run. My wife gets better but she drives slowww. Pickups are relatively more fuel efficient for their engine size. The new civics could be a bit better but not enlugh that I'd sell mine to get another. My next (second car), will be an ecocar.

If the latest Honda Insight is available from authorised Honda agent..will it be your choice of ecocar?

Note that most if not all ecocar's battery ARE EXPENSIVE to replace should they go bonkers in the long run..the batteries are non-recyclable too if i'm not wrong...

Choose your ecocar wisely..:)

It will be interesting to see how the battery replacement cost for hybrids effects their resale value.

Maybe wise to consult you favorite fortune teller.

I don't think many thai buyers factor that in their analysis. I think that is completely sidetracked by the prestige factor.

• Like 1

The new HoNDA civic is just bland ,apart from resale value it has nothing going for it ,i much prefered the old one ,actually the chevy cruze is a much nicer car and i just saw the new sonic ,and must say i am very impressed

Not sure i dare say this for fear of thaicruze making a return, but the new updated version of the Cruze i must admit really has done something for its looks. Not that is was bad looking in the first place. But the update has helped. I saw my first 4 door Focus the other day and that looked pretty good too. The Civic is so conservative by comparison. Just imagine how it is going to look in two or three years time. It will need something radical in the way of an update to have any chance of saving it. Not commercially i don't mean. It's a Honda. Say no more.

If i post on this topic I wouldn't say anything about Chevy. This is about the Honda Civic which, in my opinion, sucks ass.

Not to mention Consumer Reports themselves said "DO NOT BUY THIS CAR".

Just get the top City and save some money.

http://news.consumer...ecommended.html

Overall, while the Civic EX does score better than the LX, it still doesn’t score high enough for us to recommend. That’s because multiple inherent problems remain, including a choppy ride, abundant road noise, vague steering, and cheap interior. We do expect the Civic to be reliable, but that alone doesn’t make it a good car.

Hopefully Honda can address the Civic’s shortcomings in a mid-cycle refresh. But for now, the Civic remains a considerable fumble in a newly competitive market segment.

That was after saying the brakes were crap. and the obvious "it's too expensive for what it is", which is worse in Thailand since the Civic worth buying starts at 900,000 baht. Ridiculous.

Vague steering, choppy ride, ABUNDANT road noise and CHEAP interior are the exact same things I experienced when I drove it last year on my test drive.

Yes, we know it has good resale value (but you can argue that of almost any car here), yes, Hondas are reliable, but the 2012 Civic is crap.

sorry posting a review to an american spec EX simply has very little relavence to thailand.

And posting garish pictures of the cruze interior in this trhead just makes you look like a boob.

you went away for a while, has chevy started to compensate you again now the new models are coming out?

please give us a break

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure ecocars such as the march / mirage use regular batteries - only hybrids use special batteries. A friend was considering a camry hybrid, but the three dealers he contacted either did not know or declined to tell him the cost of the batteries. He bought a nissan teana which is a very nice ride.

I'm pretty sure ecocars such as the march / mirage use regular batteries - only hybrids use special batteries. A friend was considering a camry hybrid, but the three dealers he contacted either did not know or declined to tell him the cost of the batteries. He bought a nissan teana which is a very nice ride.

U're right..ecocars+hybrids are 2 different breeds which the latter uses special battery.

To each his own on Nissan Teana but I would had opted for the Accord instead which looks sportier as well as the famed K-series i-vtec engine!

U're right..ecocars+hybrids are 2 different breeds which the latter uses special battery.

To each his own on Nissan Teana but I would had opted for the Accord instead which looks sportier as well as the famed K-series i-vtec engine!�

The V6 in the 250 XV Teana is about as sweet as they come.

To each his own on Nissan Teana but I would had opted for the Accord instead which looks sportier as well as the famed K-series i-vtec engine!�

The V6 in the 250 XV Teana is about as sweet as they come.

V6-2.5..hmm sounds really sweet!!!

Honda Accord - Sporty?

The current accord looks so similar to a camry (or is vice versa) it would need a lot of mods to look sporty.

The Teana may not look great but at least it looks different.

post-149670-0-50671300-1348033573_thumb.

post-149670-0-45482400-1348033582_thumb.

Honda Accord - Sporty?

The current accord looks so similar to a camry (or is vice versa) it would need a lot of mods to look sporty.

I think sporty might have been the wrong choice of word. "Modern" would have been how i would describe the Accord's looks in comparison with the Camry or Teana, both of which are quite conservative in design. Accord looks to me like it has come off the set of Transformers. Can't say it particularly appeals to me, but i will say, it's not boring!

• Like 1

I would put the Honda and Camry at about the same level in terms of conservatism.

The Hyundai Sonata / i45 is a bit more edgy, not bad to drive but a bit more $$$ and Thai car buyers do not seem fond of Hyundai.

Ford and Mazda both have nice looking models in this size coming out next year. Pity niether will probably make it to Thailand.

post-149670-0-98384700-1348045390_thumb.

post-149670-0-21844300-1348045401_thumb.

Honda Accord - Sporty?

lack

The teana looks great lowered on big wheels, especially in black or white. Accord is OK but only in V6 guise !

The teana looks great lowered on big wheels, especially in black or white. Accord is OK but only in V6 guise !

Each to their own. Personally i hate these big luxury saloons being given the racer boy look.

As for the V6 Accord, doesn't matter how good it is, 3.5L is crazy both in terms of tax and in terms of fuel consumption.

Honda Accord - Sporty?

The accord will look very sporty with mugen kits up.

Teana sure looks different to me..it's not a car but more reminds me of a moving traditional Chinese coffin!!!:)

Teana sure looks different to me..it's not a car but more reminds me of a moving traditional Chinese coffin!!!smile.png

I used to be very much take it or leave it with the Teana, until i drove one, and then i kind of fell in love. Was a bit like my experience ten odd years ago of driving a Cefiro. It changed my entire view. Once you love the way a car drives, the looks can grow on you. Just my experience anyway.

I would put the Honda and Camry at about the same level in terms of conservatism.

The Hyundai Sonata / i45 is a bit more edgy, not bad to drive but a bit more $$$ and Thai car buyers do not seem fond of Hyundai.

Ford and Mazda both have nice looking models in this size coming out next year. Pity niether will probably make it to Thailand.

I agree with you on the i45's part which i would prefer it's sister-the Kia K5 more which i think it's the best design executive saloon so far!It's designed by the famed former Audi designer-Peter Schereyer so no doubts about it...

post-158257-13480497956817_thumb.jpg

Ford's new mondeo has hints of Aston Martin's front while the mazda has nice curves all around!

Teana sure looks different to me..it's not a car but more reminds me of a moving traditional Chinese coffin!!!smile.png

Once you love the way a car drives, the looks can grow on you. Just my experience anyway.

I agree..just like my current car actually..

Once you love the way a car drives, the looks can grow on you. Just my experience anyway.

I agree..just like my current car actually..

What is that mate?

Each to their own. Personally i hate these big luxury saloons being given the racer boy look.

As for the V6 Accord, doesn't matter how good it is, 3.5L is crazy both in terms of tax and in terms of fuel consumption.

Big engine tax is a problem, but fuel consumption not so much. A hard working small engine will often use more fuel than a bigger engine that does not need to break a sweat. That said, it only works if you keep you foot out of it!

Any word on the V6 in the PJS?

Big engine tax is a problem, but fuel consumption not so much. A hard working small engine will often use more fuel than a bigger engine that does not need to break a sweat. That said, it only works if you keep you foot out of it!

Any word on the V6 in the PJS?

To a degree yes, but only if you are comparing engines of similar displacement. A 3.5l may achieve better fuel consumption than a 3.0l for example. But if the comparison is 1.2l in the March with the 3.5l Accord, doesn't matter how hard you thrash the 1.2l, and how gentle you are with the 3.5l, the 1.2l will still be cheaper at the pumps.