How To Clean Hard Water Scale Spots On Glass Shower Cubicles

Pormax

I have tried many ways to clean glass shower cubicles especially trying to remove the scale spots one gets from the hard water in Thailand

Now Ihave found the solution which is fairly quick and effective.

Use 'Duck. Mr. Muscle Pro Bathroom' (available in most supermarkets in purple or pink container) best to wear rubber gloves and pour neat onto a green scouring cloth.

Will take you less than 5 minutes for a large shower cubicle and will keep reasonably nice for a couple of weeks. Also good for cleaningscale onthe stainless steel draining board.

Hope this information is of use to home owners.

I have used white vinegar either diluted with water or full strength with success. The smell does not linger too long, and it is not so caustic as some of the bathroom cleansers.

+1

And much safer for you + environment than your duck

One has to wonder 'Why Bother' when other forum members see the site just to deride others who give or need advice.

II the subject is of no use to you or have nothing of importance to add then leave it to members who want to use the forum as it is meant to be used.

Not for stupid, snide remarks. Leave it to those with some degree of intelligence and integrity.

The topic I started here was in fact an old one that was asked previously by anothe rmember which I looked up for assistance because nothing I had tried before worked

without a lot of hard work and even then not that good. I tried everything mentioned before so when I found the solution did my bit by passing on what worked for me.

Edited by Pormax

I have used white vinegar either diluted with water or full strength with success. The smell does not linger too long, and it is not so caustic as some of the bathroom cleansers.

Indeed.

Acid is the answer to limescale, every time. It works best if applied hot.

Once you've cleaned the glass there's a good way to keep it clean.

I use the "Rain-off" liquid, made for car windscreens. Give the glass 2 applications of this and you won't need to clean it for about a month. The water just slides off leaving no residue at all.

As soon as you see that the water is starting to stick to the glass again, just give it a wipe down and apply the "Rain-off" again.

Applying the "Rain-off" is a bit of a pain but, in the long run, it saves a lot of time and scrubbing.

Thanks for the great tips - I was actually going to post a question in the DIY housing forum as I have really bad water spots on my bathroom mirror and couldn't remove them with window cleaner. Good idea from Chickenlegs about the Rain-X, I use that on my car windscreen and once I clean my bathroom mirror I'll try that - excellent idea.

Vinegar can be boiled down to increase the strength and add hydrogen peroxide to help accelerate tuhe process. Best done with hot liquids. I used to use this to disolve lead battery grids, but was using 100% acetic acid and 100% peroxide.

Whilst we're discussing cleaning methods, can anybody recommend a product that will kill mould in the shower?

this is a major problem in public swimming baths (the mould tends to harbour other microbes), when I worked in one we tried high pressure spraying + all sorts of toxic products without much success. Hydrochloric acid seems to be doing something to the black gunk in our bathroom but I've been applying it for months now, and although better, the bathroom floot still looks yucky. The acid also does bad things to our septic tank, preventing the desired fermentation or whatever it is from taking place.

Edited by cooked

Whilst we're discussing cleaning methods, can anybody recommend a product that will kill mould in the shower?

yes, chlorine (bleach) is the best. it has two effects: it kills it AND it makes it invisible, because the black mould loses its color.

A short reaction to other posts higher up in the thread:

I am always fascinated how some posters really believe vinegar (or other 'natural' products) is less harmful than bathroom cleaners. Both contain acid. Vinegar is ethanoic acid if I remember my classes well, and the bathroom cleaners mostly contain HCl (chlorhydric acid in English, is that correct?). The bathroom cleaner has some additives like soap and perfume.

The point is: both acids are in very low concentration and are most probably already broken down into salts after one or two meters in the tube...

Chlorine is much more likely to kill the flora in the septic tanks than these lowly concentrated acids.

Edited by manarak

yes, chlorine (bleach) is the best. it has two effects: it kills it AND it makes it invisible, because the black mould loses its color.

A short reaction to other posts higher up in the thread:

I am always fascinated how some posters really believe vinegar (or other 'natural' products) is less harmful than bathroom cleaners. Both contain acid. Vinegar is ethanoic acid if I remember my classes well, and the bathroom cleaners mostly contain HCl (chlorhydric acid in English, is that correct?). The bathroom cleaner has some additives like soap and perfume.

The point is: both acids are in very low concentration and are most probably already broken down into salts after one or two meters in the tube...

Chlorine is much more likely to kill the flora in the septic tanks than these lowly concentrated acids.

I can tell you that acetic acid (CH3CO2H ) (the acid in vinegar) is organic and considerably less harmful that the chemical bathroom cleaners being sold in stores. Don't take my word for it, take a swig of vinegar and then take a swig of store bought household bathroom cleaner and see which kills you faster. My wife makes it at home using fruit, brown sugar, and water.

I am always fascinated how some posters really don't believe vinegar (or other 'natural' products) are less harmful than store bought bathroom cleaners.

Edited by Jayman

I can tell you that acetic acid (CH3CO2H ) (the acid in vinegar) is organic and considerably less harmful that the chemical bathroom cleaners being sold in stores.

Indeed.

A bucketful of vinegar in a septic tank will do very little harm. A bucketful of bleach or hydrochloric acid or <insert brand-name cleaner> would be a different story.

Once you've cleaned the glass there's a good way to keep it clean.

I use the "Rain-off" liquid, made for car windscreens.

Spraying the glass with WD-40, as one would with say Windex, and wiping dry has the same effect. Keeps class doors and mirrors clean for a long time.

yes, chlorine (bleach) is the best.

Please do some research and find out why bleach should not be used to treat mold.

Edited by VocalNeal