Let'S Face It -Jomtien Beach Does Not Rule Anymore?

JakeBKK

Why is it annoying to get an Russian menu first, god native English speakers can be so arrogant. How do you think the Russians feel if they get an English menu first. Or how about non native English speakers, why are there no menu's for them. Just be thankful there are English menu's and accept the change.

• Like 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it annoying to get an Russian menu first.....

Because I cant understand a single word that is written on it, except perhaps "pektopah".

....god native English speakers can be so arrogant. How do you think the Russians feel if they get an English menu first. Or how about non native English speakers, why are there no menu's for them. Just be thankful there are English menu's and accept the change.

I really dont give a flying Sputnik about what Russians do or dont want, or what they expect or dont expect.

I've been coming here for 35 years and prior to a few years ago you never saw a single Russian anywhere. And I would not be at all surprised if all of them disappeared just as fast as they arrived. So I really don't see why I should be inconvenienced for a load of Ivan-come-latelys.

Why is it annoying to get an Russian menu first, god native English speakers can be so arrogant. How do you think the Russians feel if they get an English menu first. Or how about non native English speakers, why are there no menu's for them. Just be thankful there are English menu's and accept the change.

Two languages are needed in this world. Your native language and English.

English menus first please.

Because I cant understand a single word that is written on it, except perhaps "pektopah".

....god native English speakers can be so arrogant. How do you think the Russians feel if they get an English menu first. Or how about non native English speakers, why are there no menu's for them. Just be thankful there are English menu's and accept the change.

I really dont give a flying Sputnik about what Russians do or dont want, or what they expect or dont expect.

I've been coming here for 35 years and prior to a few years ago you never saw a single Russian anywhere. And I would not be at all surprised if all of them disappeared just as fast as they arrived. So I really don't see why I should be inconvenienced for a load of Ivan-come-latelys.

You have a point.

Most seem to be here on a package tour and with all the scam / violence reports making it back home, they could leave as fast as they arrived on the scene.

A new, better, cheaper tour might whisk them all away overnight.

Oh the i have been coming here for xxx years so i got rights.. pathetic. I live in Thailand your just a tourist, do i count more then you too then. Come on Europe / US / UK used to be economic powers... we are not that good anymore. Things change accept it. Thais are just making money as there are many Russians its only logical. Its pure arrogance on your side, and normal commerce on side of the Thais.

• Like 1

I like the Russians. I was eating lunch yesterday. The Russian wife was beautiful, tight white shorts and looked a bit like Dolly Parton. Her husband was a geek. The Russian lady was very nice to her geek husband. You cuold just see what she had in her head. I don't care vat you tinking. Ivan take care my family, I have new car, big house in Moscow and we vacation in South East Asia, Ha so phuut on you........

Oh the i have been coming here for xxx years so i got rights.. pathetic. I live in Thailand your just a tourist, do i count more then you too then. Come on Europe / US / UK used to be economic powers... we are not that good anymore. Things change accept it.

Actually I live here also, and I had been coming here often for 30+ years prior to retiring here.

I didnt say that I had "rights", I just said that I dont like Russians and I that I dont appreciate being expected to learn to read Russian when English has done perfectly well as an international language for centuries. I dont intend learning Chinese or Indian either, no matter how many tourists from those places start coming here.

I am annoyed by Thais who don't even TRY to guess if you are Russian or not. It's like many of them flipped a switch and have gone on automatic drive: RUSSIAN now.

But to be fair, personally I can pass for Russian and I get Russians thinking I'm Russian probably more than average.

Edited by Jingthing

I am annoyed by Thais who don't even TRY to guess if you are Russian or not. It's like many of them flipped a switch and have gone on automatic drive: RUSSIAN now.

JT, I am sure in all your time in Thailand you picked up a few words of Thai ? Im sure they can understand Thai. And no im not fluid in Thai by any means but simple things not that hard.

JT, I am sure in all your time in Thailand you picked up a few words of Thai ? Im sure they can understand Thai. And no im not fluid in Thai by any means but simple things not that hard.

I don't get your point or the connection to this topic, but yes of course I know a little basic Thai.

I don't get your point or the connection to this topic, but yes of course I know a little basic Thai.

Connection is you don't have to speak English with them you get quite far with some basic Thai.

Look you can paint this anyway you want, but what I think is DAMAGING to Pattaya as a resort to non-Russians is the now obvious DOMINATION of the Russian demographic. I love international diversity but when one national group dominates, that changes everything and yes I think in quite a negative way. Honestly there are some national groups I would personally enjoy dominating more than the Russians, such as Mexicans for example, but the principle remains.

Edited by Jingthing

Look you can paint this anyway you want, but what I think is DAMAGING to Pattaya as a resort to non-Russians is the now obvious DOMINATION of the Russian demographic. I love international diversity but when one national group dominates, that changes everything and yes I think in quite a negative way. Honestly there are some national groups I would personally enjoy dominating more than the Russians, such as Mexicans for example, but the principle remains.

Wow. Replace Russian with some other nationalities and ethnic minorities and try saying that.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Wow. Replace Russian with some other nationalities and ethnic minorities and try saying that.cheesy.gif

Go ahead and try it. The principle remains the same. The Thai hosts have changed gears to welcome Russians because they are the majority. If you ain't in the majority, you are now OUT of the mainstream here.

Go ahead and try it. The principle remains the same. The Thai hosts have changed gears to welcome Russians because they are the majority. If you ain't in the majority, you are now OUT of the mainstream here.

Replace Russia with Israel or Australia or Great Britain. Do you feel the same?

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

Its been always like that i never seen any Dutch menu's there. It just hurt extra for people whose first language is English because they are not used to something like this. Were there any Russian menu's before for the not main stream Russian.. no... not much different.

Its been always like that i never seen any Dutch menu's there. It just hurt extra for people whose first language is English because they are not used to something like this. Were there any Russian menu's before for the not main stream Russian.. no... not much different.

I agree. Maybe we could start a Russian anti defamation league or a National Association for the advancement of Russian People. When you read statements like, "I love international diversity but when one national group dominates, that changes everything and yes I think in quite a negative way." You know problems are on the way. Next we will read stuff like, "I'm not a bigot I have some Russian friends and I like Russian food."

All of my grandparents spoke Russian and fled from their old country to avoid being murdered. That doesn't mean I blame modern Russians.

To the other question, obviously as an Anglo speaker, Australians or Brits are less personally foreign to me and other Anglos but overall a resort dominated by Anglos (think Southern Spain) is less desirable than a resort that is much more diverse. Israelis taking over Pattaya? No thanks, and so many of them are from Russia anyway. Also such a small country so far away -- IMPOSSIBLE. No, I don't think there is anything wrong at all with thinking the DOMINATION of ANY ONE national group in an internationally flavored beach resort city anywhere in the world is an overall NEGATIVE for those not of the dominant group It can even be a negative for those in the dominant group. For example, Acapulco Mexico is not dominated by Americans. It would be much less interesting if it were though of course many Americans do prefer islands of America abroad, just as many Russians do. If you're trying to push the idea that I'm a bigot because I don't desire Pattaya to be DOMINATED by ANY national group, go ahead and hurl the dirt. Doesn't mean it's true.

Here's another example. I very much enjoy the presence of the many Iranian tourists in Pattaya. If suddenly they were 60 percent of the market here and the Thais were barking at me in Farsi, then that enjoyment would evaporate.

Really, you can fill in the blank with any nationality. Domination by one group is objectively a negative for the overall flavor of an international style city like Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

10 years ago Pattaya was clearly dominated by the British. Now it is the Russians.

That's also a negative except for those seeking a British island abroad. A big balanced MIX is the best for the most people. Edited by Jingthing

But JT there was an English speaking dominance.. you never noticed it because you spoke English. Now imagine people who did not speak English they would feel just the way you feel now.

You can argue that English is a world language and stuff like that but now they are making money from the Russians and they don't speak English. So now the shoe is on the other foot, just speak Thai problem solved.

I do agree with you its never a good thing if one group dominates, but you never noticed how much your group dominated others and now you do.

But JT there was an English speaking dominance.. you never noticed it because you spoke English. Now imagine people who did not speak English they would feel just the way you feel now.

You can argue that English is a world language and stuff like that but now they are making money from the Russians and they don't speak English. So now the shoe is on the other foot, just speak Thai problem solved.

I do agree with you its never a good thing if one group dominates, but you never noticed how much your group dominated others and now you do.

But the original "one" language came from multiple nations with multiple demographics, what we have at the moment is one demographic all using the same language here in their thousands.

14000? No wonder there are so many of them. Costs me 45000 just to get over here.

Yes, but the 14000 is on Aeroflot (shudder).

Not even Aeroflop, they are using airlines to fly direct into Utapao (Sp) that would never be allowed to fly in the west.

But the original "one" language came from multiple nations with multiple demographics, what we have at the moment is one demographic all using the same language here in their thousands.

Whatever, fact is English speakers now feel what non native English speakers feel and right away they are up in arms. I do speak English too and prefer it of course over Russian. But I do see the Thais point of view.

Anyway most are long time residents here and should be able to do the simple things with a few words of Thai.

Whatever, fact is English speakers now feel what non native English speakers feel and right away they are up in arms. I do speak English too and prefer it of course over Russian. But I do see the Thais point of view.

Anyway most are long time residents here and should be able to do the simple things with a few words of Thai.

Robb, I am sorry but you just don't see it and I can appreciate that, but there are an awful lot of long term residents here who feel uncomfortable in the company of the Russians and thats a fact, no matter how much you try and mitigate it. I am not saying whether it is right or wrong but its true.

He's focusing on trivial commercial interactions with Thais rather than the bigger picture, the flavor of the entire TOURIST city has been Russified. It's real. Can we who aren't Russian cope with the flavor change? Probably most of us but some will leave and probably be selling to Russians.

Obviously with a dramatic flavor change like this, the actual specific flavor is going to look and feel different as different cultures are ... different. So if Pattaya had become dominated by Brazilians rather than Russians, we'd see the flavor change but it would have a different feel than a Russian domination.

From expats point of view, many of us thought we were moving to Thailand, not Russia, so if some of us are not thrilled with this big change, I think that is in the realm of a normal human reaction to surprising change.

People (Russian people for example) who move now know what it's like NOW. But if 10 years from now Pattaya becomes dominated by Iranians for example (possible if the Russians move on) they might not be pleased either, because the cultural flavor of what they thought they had bought into would have changed a lot.

Anyway, like I've said, maybe I'm unusual but I personally highly value national and linguistic DIVERSITY in any city I want to live in, but the more balance without one group dominating, the better.

Edited by Jingthing