Another Stroll Down A Different Lane For Really Older Brits

Saturday morning kids cinema, the ABC minors, if it was your birthday you could go up on stage and get a prize.....one kid went, and the fella giving out the gifts asked him, "Weren't you here last week ?", "No, that was my twin brother", was the reply. biggrin.png

Was the nature magazine Spick and Span ? whistling.gif

Dixon of Dock Green, another of my Dad's favourites, was a must see in our house, Saturday was the Wrestling, followed by tea, then all tidied up in time for Dixon. It's available on DVD now !

Wasn't that followed by the Black & White Minstrel show ?

I went to a live show of the Black & White Minstrels in London. Had a small box right near the stage.

What was so obvious was that the music and singing was recorded for many songs with the principle artists miming. A great show neverless

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill, I can remember our junior school collecting the milk bottle tops, to pay for guide dogs for the Blind. I can't recall when the collecting stopped, (we used to bring them from home, and from neighbours and family, as well) - probably when the government stopped giving kids free school milk.

A personal question - did you wear winkle pickers or brothel creepers to work ? biggrin.png

I tried to post this 3 times yesterday and gave up in disgust.

I used to collect milk bottle tops, aluminium foil and newspapers when I was a Boy Scout AND I was a milk monitor.

My first job after I left school was in the dairy and I wore black rubber wellies and the next 2 I wore school shoes as my Dad had died a couple of months before I left school and we were a bit short of brass like.

In January 1960 I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant and for the next 18 months they dictated my clothing and shoes including drill boots with steel tips and heels and studsand so highly polished you could use them as a mirror to shave with.

When I was in mans service I used to wear tight black trousers, polo neck sweaters plus I also had a purple mohair sweater and course black winklepicker boots.

DSC04418.JPG

They are on sale at about £120 a pair.

I also used to ride a 1957 Lambretta LD 150.

2557057.jpg

This was recently sold for £1,850.

Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

Still remember listening to Radio Luxembourg on the parents "radiogramme" a huge walnut veneered valve powered piece of furniture. One hand on the tuning knob to try to overcome fading. The programme that first comes to mind is Dan Dare Pilot of the Future, anyone remember that, early fifties ? I was only about ten at the time.

gotta take a break from my self imposed exile here.....what about :"Journey into Space"..Guy Kingsley pointer? jesus I AM old..lol

I would only listen to Journey into Space sitting next to my Mum as it was scary for a young kid with a wild imagination.

Jet Morgan, Doc, Mitch and Lemmy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_into_Space

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/journeyintospace.htm

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/siteindex/index.htm#J

Images can be found on the internet easily but cannot be posted.

Bill, I can remember our junior school collecting the milk bottle tops, to pay for guide dogs for the Blind. I can't recall when the collecting stopped, (we used to bring them from home, and from neighbours and family, as well) - probably when the government stopped giving kids free school milk.

A personal question - did you wear winkle pickers or brothel creepers to work ? biggrin.png

I used to collect milk bottle tops, aluminium foil and newspapers when I was a Boy Scout AND I was a milk monitor.

My first job after I left school was in the dairy and I wore black rubber wellies and the next 2 I wore school shoes as my Dad had died a couple of months before I left school and we were a bit short of brass like.

In January 1960 I joined the RAF as a Boy Entrant and for the next 18 months they dictated my clothing and shoes including drill boots with steel tips and heels and studsand so highly polished you could use them as a mirror to shave with.

When I was in mans service I used to wear tight black trousers, polo neck sweaters plus I also had a purple mohair sweater and course black winklepicker boots.

DSC04418.JPG

2557057.jpg

Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can be bothered trawling, there's a modern lambretta (or maybe a Vespa) on the TV Cricket thread, in this very pub. Probably easier to find the original website though, in the interweb-thingy.

Nice boots; and nice trouser cuffs!

DSC04418.JPG

2557057.jpg

Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By 'eck, I'm well impressed. biggrin.png

Saturday morning kids cinema, the ABC minors, if it was your birthday you could go up on stage and get a prize.....one kid went, and the fella giving out the gifts asked him, "Weren't you here last week ?", "No, that was my twin brother", was the reply. biggrin.png

Dixon of Dock Green, another of my Dad's favourites, was a must see in our house, Saturday was the Wrestling, followed by tea, then all tidied up in time for Dixon. It's available on DVD now !

I went to a live show of the Black & White Minstrels in London. Had a small box right near the stage.

What was so obvious was that the music and singing was recorded for many songs with the principle artists miming. A great show neverless

I'm glad you posted this, I'd completely forgotten my Mum had dragged me along to see the Minstrels, which is unusual for me, normally I remember long ago quite clearly but as for yesterday....

I can also recall going to see Lonnie Donegan, and another of Mum's favourites, Frank Ifield, both in the early 1960s.

While I'm not a great fan of the American stuff that dominates the sports channels, we used to go regularly to see the wrestling, Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Les Kellet, Bert Royal, Kendo Nagasaki, great entertainment, though you had to be careful to avoid the ladies handbags, swinging at the bad guys, if you sat at the front.

Happy days.

I'm glad you posted this, I'd completely forgotten my Mum had dragged me along to see the Minstrels, which is unusual for me, normally I remember long ago quite clearly but as for yesterday....

I can also recall going to see Lonnie Donegan, and another of Mum's favourites, Frank Ifield, both in the early 1960s.

While I'm not a great fan of the American stuff that dominates the sports channels, we used to go regularly to see the wrestling, Jackie Pallo, Mick McManus, Les Kellet, Bert Royal, Kendo Nagasaki, great entertainment, though you had to be careful to avoid the ladies handbags, swinging at the bad guys, if you sat at the front.

Happy days.

Do you remember Shirley Crabtree or Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks etc compered by Kent Walton.

I remember your Mum's favourite Frank Ifield in the Big Show of 1957 at the Pavilion Bournemouth along with the Beverly Sisters, Joy (who married Billy Wright at Poole Registry office) Babs and Teddy, Bob Monkhouse and Dennis Goodwin.

Happy days.

Kendo Nagasaki!

A serious sportsman, by today's standards

SC

Happy days.

Do you remember Shirley Crabtree or Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks etc compered by Kent Walton.

I remember your Mum's favourite Frank Ifield in the Big Show of 1957 at the Pavilion Bournemouth along with the Beverly Sisters, Joy (who married Billy Wright at Poole Registry office) Babs and Teddy, Bob Monkhouse and Dennis Goodwin.

Shirley's grandson Eorl is playing for Huddersfield Giants now

SC

• Like 1

I certainly do remember Big Daddy, wasn't his favourite move known as the splash ? He used to bounce opponents off his huge stomach until they could take no more, then flop on top of them. Giant Haystacks was his "enemy", the one the old ladies used to swing their handbags at ! My Mum and her sister, who used to come to our house on a Saturday, to watch the TV, both used to say Kent Walton was watching a different fight, to the one being shown.

My favourite wrestler was Billy Two Rivers, who apparently WAS a real American Indian ( I thought it was all made up), if I've done it right there should be a photo of him here.

post-143770-0-57063700-1342634973_thumb.

Frank Ifield did the night clubs in the north-east for years, Bob Monkhouse appeared a few times too, but he was a bit "blue" for most of the mixed audiences at the time, as I recall. (How things change over a few years, and not always for the better). The Beverly Sisters were a little before my time, (but I wouldn't have said no to the twins !wink.png ). I had the hots for the lead singer of the Ronettes, Veronica (Ronnie) Spector.

And Transam, I can remember the name "Flit", but I can't recall what it was - mouse killer powder ??

DSC04418.JPG

2557057.jpg

Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geesh!!!... I had one those..top speed 55mph .....took me to Brighton, Blackpool etc etc...from north London..used to use dad's old engine oil for 2 stroke mix...paid for it with my milk round....think it cost about 2 pound ten ..bit of a wreck but did it up,pulled out the engine new rings etc.,sprayed it, fitted a double seat I found on a bomb site...changed front mudguard to an aluminum one, (my mate and I bought a motorcycle one and cut in half.)...add a fishing rod aerial with a fox tail on top, Exchange and Mart US parka....hush puppies, white socks.......soo cool we thought...lol

• Like 1

DSC04418.JPG

2557057.jpg

Say WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geesh!!!... I had one those..top speed 55mph .....took me to Brighton, Blackpool etc etc...from north London..used to use dad's old engine oil for 2 stroke mix...paid for it with my milk round....think it cost about 2 pound ten ..bit of a wreck but did it up,pulled out the engine new rings etc.,sprayed it, fitted a double seat I found on a bomb site...changed front mudguard to an aluminum one, (my mate and I bought a motorcycle one and cut in half.)...add a fishing rod aerial with a fox tail on top, Exchange and Mart US parka....hush puppies, white socks.......soo cool we thought...lol

No photos David ? smile.png

My Lambretta would do 55 mph flat out for about 10 minutes after which it would, verheat, slow down and threaten to die unless I stopped for about 10 minutes for it to cool down

50 mph it would all day but flat out, no way.

The reg no was UEL 64.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't the wrestling on Sunday?

How about: The Magic Roundabout?

The MagicRoundabout was Tops, but the Clangers has to be the Absolute Number One Excellent Tops.

Probably the best kds ' serial ever n the best ever science fiction serial, without doubt it knocked Star Trek or the Star Wars trilogy into a cocked hat

SC

The MagicRoundabout was Tops, but the Clangers has to be the Absolute Number One Excellent Tops.

Probably the best kds ' serial ever n the best ever science fiction serial, without doubt it knocked Star Trek or the Star Wars trilogy into a cocked hat

SC

The Clangers was excellent, but was it better than SPACE 1999?

http://www.ytepisodes.com/series.php/Space-1999

SC

The Clangers was excellent, but was it better than SPACE 1999?

http://www.ytepisode....php/Space-1999

I think so. The dialogue was more convincing, and the Clangers benefited from a clearer moral compass. And a better standard of knitting. And furthermore, the characters and storylines were more credible.

I'm not knocking Space 1999, but its a bit dated now

SC

It may have changed later, but as far as I remember it was on at 4 o'clock, Saturday, on ITV, and finished in time for the football results.

SC

What about Dr Who ? I'm currently downloading all the old ones from the 60s, I thought they'd all been lost by the BBC, but they're on Th'Internet. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

It may have changed later, but as far as I remember it was on at 4 o'clock, Saturday, on ITV, and finished in time for the football results.

No. The wrestling was shown on ITV Sunday late morning. About 11am. It was eventually banned because the ITC considered it "an insult to viewers' intelligence".

Do you remember Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks?

What's the earliest Dr Who you can remember?

Me: John Pertwee. His assistant was Jo Grant.

Wrestling on ITV was shown on Saturday afternoons:

From Wiki:

"Television

But while titles had some success, it was television that took British wrestling to the next level. The first show aired on ABC and ATV (the weekend franchise holders on ITV) on 9 November 1955, featuring Francis St Clair Gregory (father of Tony St Clair) versus Mike Marino and Cliff Beaumont versus Bert Royal live from West Ham baths. The show was successful, and wrestling became a featured attraction every Saturday afternoon from Autumn to Spring each year. In 1964, it went full-time as part of the World of Sport show."

Wrestling was definitely shown on Saturday afternoons, as my Auntie used to visit on Saturdays, and would arrive 15 minutes before the wrestling started, with a box of cream cakes for tea! I always got one of those individual trifles, with jelly, sponge and fresh cream on top. biggrin.png

This was in the Tyne-Tees ITV area, perhaps it was shown at other times in different regions, which possibly explains why some posters have different memories.

Earliest Dr Who ? I can remember watching it from the start, I was about 9. I've recently watched the first two serials featuring the Daleks, and in the first series they didn't say "Ex-ter-min-ate" once, and I've watched 3 out of 6 episodes of the second series, and so far they haven't said it yet either - curious. I always thought that they said it from the start, funny how time plays tricks on the mind.

Wrestling was quite big in our town, there were two venues that used to show it, Middlesbrough Town Hall, and Farrer Street stadium. I can remember going with my Mum and Auntie, (but sadly, no cream cakes while we watched !). smile.png

One thing that has come back to me, writing this, is that we used to walk to the Farrer Street stadium, (we lived in the town centre), and our route took us past the old Workhouse. Mum and Auntie both used to walk on the other side of the road, when passing. They had a morbid fear of the place, despite it being twenty or so years since the National Insurance scheme had started. Isn't it weird how one can drag up these old memories, as if it were yesterday ?blink.png

SC

What about Dr Who ? I'm currently downloading all the old ones from the 60s, I thought they'd all been lost by the BBC, but they're on Th'Internet. thumbsup.gif

When i was much younger than I am now, we never had a TV n our huse, so I used to watch Dr Who at a friend's ouse, then run all the way home for my tea, and to relate the latest adventure to my dear old mother in the kitchen.

I suppose in terms of dramatic entertainment, and theme music, Dr Who would have to rank higher than the Clangers; also longevity. But in terms of moral guidance and succinctness the Clangers are an example to us all. So that, plus the swanee whistles and the knitting, would put the Clangers up there.

I am sure that there are many men who can trace their careers as astronauts to the inspiration of the Clangers, but I wonder how many of our peers were driven to become near-immortal time travellers? Or even sidekicks to such time travellers?

SC

No. The wrestling was shown on ITV Sunday late morning. About 11am. It was eventually banned because the ITC considered it "an insult to viewers' intelligence".

Do you remember Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks?

What's the earliest Dr Who you can remember?

Me: John Pertwee. His assistant was Jo Grant.

I can remember the first six and I could see in my mind the first one but I had to Google Wiki to get his name as William Hartnell. We had no TV at home but by that time I was in the RAF and the NAAFI had a BBC and an ITV room so that you could watch either channel back in the days before remotes.

at Leeds University there was a huge influx to the TV room when magic roundabout came on. (1967 ...) AS we intellectuals (ha ha) stayed on to watch the news, they went on to their pre food pint. The students Union bar was always packed. Going back years later it was nearly empty apart from a few guys tringto seriously study

The wrestling was Saturday afternoons on "World of Sport" with Dickie Davies, the wrestling came on at 4pm before the footie results.

Big Mick McManus was a great wrestler.

Clangers was great as well, but the best was "Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons", remember sitting in the NAAFI in Loughborough watching it, the place was packed out with us Squaddies, but that was the repeats of the 60s show, redone in the 80s.

here the format from World of Sport

1230 On The Ball - football preview with Brian Moore and in later years Ian St. John and Jimmy Greaves.

1300 Sports Special 1 - A wide array of sports, often including clips from US show Wide World of Sports. Less prominent sports such as darts, snooker, bowls, water skiing, speedway, rallying and others would also feature.

1330 Racing, The ITV Seven.

1500 Sports Special 2 - see Sports Special 1.

1545 Half-Time Scores - the half-time scores from that day's football, plus racing results from races that had taken place in the previous hour.

1600 Wrestling - a mainstay of the World of Sport schedule from 1965 until it ended. Many of the wrestlers featured became household names in the UK and the greatest rivalry was between Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks

1645 Results Service - all the full-time football scores, match reports and league tables plus the last of the day's horse racing results.

Edited by beano2274

The wrestling was Saturday afternoons on "World of Sport" with Dickie Davies, the wrestling came on at 4pm before the footie results.

Big Mick McManus was a great wrestler.

Clangers was great as well, but the best was "Captain Scarlett and the Mysterons", remember sitting in the NAAFI in Loughborough watching it, the place was packed out with us Squaddies, but that was the repeats of the 60s show, redone in the 80s.

here the format from World of Sport

1230 On The Ball - football preview with Brian Moore and in later years Ian St. John and Jimmy Greaves.

1300 Sports Special 1 - A wide array of sports, often including clips from US show Wide World of Sports. Less prominent sports such as darts, snooker, bowls, water skiing, speedway, rallying and others would also feature.

1330 Racing, The ITV Seven.

1500 Sports Special 2 - see Sports Special 1.

1545 Half-Time Scores - the half-time scores from that day's football, plus racing results from races that had taken place in the previous hour.

1600 Wrestling - a mainstay of the World of Sport schedule from 1965 until it ended. Many of the wrestlers featured became household names in the UK and the greatest rivalry was between Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks

1645 Results Service - all the full-time football scores, match reports and league tables plus the last of the day's horse racing results.

And the videprinter! Don't forget the videprinter and the pools forecast.

SC