Patong Named 'Safety Zone' In Phuket Model For Public Safety

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so many negative remarks?

Why do not we wait and see what will take place?

Phuket has received a massive blow and uppercut and then a kick to go with it.

They have taken this very seriously and are starting to act.

CCTV is a great idea, because it helps to easily identify the perps and is also a great deterring factor.

The jet ski, without police support are nothing, so this would not be too hard to eradicate.

Taxi would be little harder due to involvement of some officials, but if they set to loose entire income, perhaps they will be willing to take a "pay cut"

Really when they do nothing, everyone complains and now they planning to do something and yet again everyone complains.

Seems just can not win and please some of the posters here.

You're not serious? (Are you?) I mean, most of us (with a pulse) get that this is just (more) talk. You get that, right?

So let's sit behind the computer screen and bitch how nothing is done .

Then once authority's offer a plan, let's again sit behind the computer screen and bitch more but this time about the plan

It must ruin the whole day for those with pulse NOT to have a bitch for one day and perhaps applaud authority's for coming up with a sensible plan, let alone wait for a few months to see what has been done and changed .

I've been to Phuket once. And from I've heard and read about the explosion in crime there..... never again.

Really? .... based on what you've heard and read? Wow!

Geez mate, don't watch an episode of COPS .... you'll never make it to the USA !!!!

ROFL

• Like 1

“The risk areas must be identified", he said.

That's easy: Phuket!

Phuket is a provence, although there is a Phuket Town. This article is about Patong though, not Phuket...

Semantics

pat1.jpeg

My laptop and Tea Money were in my suitcase, its about this big, I left it in your taxi! No general you are mistaken, there were some grease stains on the seat but that was all I found in my taxi after I dropped you off.

I've been told my sense of humour is slightly above average but hats off to you on this one.

Mate, that's Classic. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif 110%

What exactly is "above average sense of humor", or is that a classic example?

http://www.thaivisa....media-blackout/

The first post also said problems over in 30 days, then 3 months. Which, please?

Re read it - He clearly says: "The risk areas must be identified and plans established to resolve the issues within 30 days" and "the results we want within three months"

so totally different.

Hey come on. It's like playing horseshoes. Close counts

CCTV is a great idea, because it helps to easily identify the perps and is also a great deterring factor.

The jet ski, without police support are nothing, so this would not be too hard to eradicate.

Taxi would be little harder due to involvement of some officials, but if they set to loose entire income, perhaps they will be willing to take a "pay cut"

Really when they do nothing, everyone complains and now they planning to do something and yet again everyone complains.

Phl, I envy you.. you obviously live in a world where cotton wool padding, easter bunny and tooth fairy still exist.

Does anyone believe that these statements re Patong becoming a model safety zone are anything more than cheap rhetoric, the type of rhetoric we see daily in Thailand.

I dont think anyone is being negative rather totally realistic.

Do you actually belive that poorly paid police are going to bite of the hands that feed them, that corrupt officials are going to suddenly stop their activities .

This announcement is nothing more than window dressing.... same as the famous zero road deaths at songkran ,one where by the way they celebrated success even though there were still huge numbers of deaths.

Yes we all criticise when they do nothing but I think its far worse to make grandiose statements for the sole purpose of being seen to do something when indeed nothing will actually be done.

your statement "The jet ski, without police support are nothing, so this would not be too hard to eradicate." is correct in terms of how it all operates but do you believe that the police support will be withdrawn.

Alas I would rather see none of these grandiose soapbox statements and just accept that it is, it will be and thats Thailand.

Philippines got it right, a few years ago a presidential candidate gained great popularity by campaigning on basis that if elected he wouldn't be too corrupt. Got to love that

“There are four steps to the plan, which is designed to identify dangerous areas and secure them. The plan will also tackle the issue of illegal taxi drivers, jet-ski operators and others who are assaulting tourists,” he said.

Now where have I seen this before?

I'm sure they keep these comments on file and just copy and paste them when needed, "smoke and mirrors"cheesy.gifintheclub.gif

Phl, I envy you.. you obviously live in a world where cotton wool padding, easter bunny and tooth fairy still exist.

Does anyone believe that these statements re Patong becoming a model safety zone are anything more than cheap rhetoric, the type of rhetoric we see daily in Thailand.

I dont think anyone is being negative rather totally realistic.

Do you actually belive that poorly paid police are going to bite of the hands that feed them, that corrupt officials are going to suddenly stop their activities .

This announcement is nothing more than window dressing.... same as the famous zero road deaths at songkran ,one where by the way they celebrated success even though there were still huge numbers of deaths.

Yes we all criticise when they do nothing but I think its far worse to make grandiose statements for the sole purpose of being seen to do something when indeed nothing will actually be done.

your statement "The jet ski, without police support are nothing, so this would not be too hard to eradicate." is correct in terms of how it all operates but do you believe that the police support will be withdrawn.

Alas I would rather see none of these grandiose soapbox statements and just accept that it is, it will be and thats Thailand.

Philippines got it right, a few years ago a presidential candidate gained great popularity by campaigning on basis that if elected he wouldn't be too corrupt. Got to love that

Actually i live in a real world not virtual one.

As i said already 3 times, Phuket has been hit hard, so authorities must act. They came up with a very very very sensible plan and i for one applaud them for it.

I am also going to wait and see how they implement this plan before i turn into a keyboard warrior and proclaim to know it all because either i have visited Thailand a few times or been here for a few years.

For those of us who have been here for long, we have seen many things change, Some for the good and some for the worse.

Police in US, 40 or so years ago was also as corrupt as it gets, and that has been dealt with,

Do you really think Phuket governor or Phuket police chief stand a chance against government decision from BKK?

But since so many are bothered, here is a thought, why do not you guys get together, form a safety group and start to patrol the streets.

IT sure is more beneficial and productive than being keyboard warrior or a critic of anything and everything before it even happens.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

“The risk areas must be identified", he said.

That's easy: Phuket!

Phuket is a provence, although there is a Phuket Town. This article is about Patong though, not Phuket...

Semantics

No, geography...

How cynical we all are...

Here we have Patong being proclaimed a safety zone and a model for Public Safety on the same day that

- Adolf Hitler is being honored by the Jewish socisty,

- Greece has just been awarded European economy of the year,

- Yingluck stated in government that her brother is a convicted criminal and needs to come back and serve his time and

- Thai bus drivers being told to speed up a bit after numerous complaints about driving too slow and being way too fastidious about safety.

whats wrong with all of you.

Love it, love it, love it.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Despite living in Thailand for 15 years and regularly travelling all over the kingdom, I haven't visited Phuket since around 2003. I found it over-priced and I found particularly bad attitudes from the Thais interacting with farangs who themselves are very likely not from Phuket. I had no problems but decided I would not visit again. That remains the case up to now.

PHUKET: -- Patong has been nominated a “Safety Zone” by Deputy Police Chief Pansiri Prapawat as part of the “Phuket model” for public safety.

This is like nominating Chernobyl (sp?) for a radioactive free zone.

pat1.jpeg

My laptop and Tea Money were in my suitcase, its about this big, I left it in your taxi! No general you are mistaken, there were some grease stains on the seat but that was all I found in my taxi after I dropped you off.

I've been told my sense of humour is slightly above average but hats off to you on this one.

Mate, that's Classic. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif 110%

Good one !

Increasing the amount of salary to the police officers who enfore the laws, would be a giant step forward...and give the police some good incentive to start making arrest and making the arrests stick .....

WHY would you believe that increasing the police salaries would make them suddenly decide to stop collecting tea money? If you had two jobs and one of them gave you a raise, would you go to your scond job and ask for a matching decrease? Just asking.

• Like 2

Increasing the amount of salary to the police officers who enfore the laws, would be a giant step forward...and give the police some good incentive to start making arrest and making the arrests stick .....

WHY would you believe that increasing the police salaries would make them suddenly decide to stop collecting tea money? If you had two jobs and one of them gave you a raise, would you go to your scond job and ask for a matching decrease? Just asking.

NO but you would quit the second job because the first paid enoughthumbsup.gif

They will just stop media :

Japanese Tourist Foils Abduction Attempt Amid Phuket Police 'Media Blackout'

And then, problem fixed...

(amazing Thailand!)

Did you only read the headline? In that thread there was this article: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16354.html

Denying that there is any media blackout. And if there was a media blackout, why have there been more articles in the news about tourists falling off tuk tuks and another being "attacked" by a gang?

I don't think so. wink.png

jb1

I don't think so. wink.png

jb1

your opinion is valuable, however history would prove you wrong.

USA, Australia, UK and pretty much the rest of the world, go back say 30-50 years and see police corruption then and police corruption now. you will notice the wage rises through the period and corruption decline