Staying Alive At Any Price?

soi41

In a timely photo my ex-gf sent me through a photo of her father who now is very sick.

This is the reality of aged health care.

The family rally round and just 'take care'.

When you reach this level of care ... you don't have options ... just a reliance of the others around you for the basics of life.

Out of respect I would ask you good folk not to speak negatively of the photo, but it's a timely reminder of what is being discussed.

post-104736-0-03319400-1341645369_thumb.

I wish him well and a dignified exit when that time comes ... wai.gif

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a timely photo my ex-gf sent me through a photo of her father who now is very sick.

This is the reality of aged health care.

The family rally round and just 'take care'.

When you reach this level of care ... you don't have options ... just a reliance of the others around you for the basics of life.

Out of respect I would ask you good folk not to speak negatively of the photo, but it's a timely reminder of what is being discussed.

post-104736-0-03319400-1341645369_thumb.

I wish him well and a dignified exit when that time comes ... wai.gif

Very sad. I hope the end is peaceful for him.

• Like 2

I have discussed this with my wife and family and my decision is that if/when it gets to the point that the only was for me to stay alive is to live in a hospital away from my friends and family and live on a bed in an a/c room with needles and hoses and pipes stuck into every orifice I have and maybe some I didn't know, bleeding money to give me a better quality of life, NO way.

I have planned ahead as much as I can for this eventuality. I am 68 with a bad back and wonky knees but I can still get around and do things.

There was a thread on this a couple of years ago which I contributed to but I have had a few senior moments since then and can't remember where or when.

What I do have is a list of things for my family to do when I die, who to call and who to email.

What to do about pensions, death certificates and the many other things that need to be done when a farang dies.

If anybody wants a copy of the stuff please PM meand I will send what I have.

One thing I must stress especially if you are married is make a will NOW and don't put it off especially if you are married to a Thai because they need to be in Thai and a copy left at the amphur.

If you only have assets in Thailand it is a bit easier, if you have assets in your home country too it gats harder.

My mum had a minor stroke at 85, l went back to UK to be with her. Whilst in hospital had another stroke and l was told the effected part of her brain is final for her. I asked ''what happens now', they said ''we stop food and water till she dies''. Hmmmmm, are your sure thats the only option ?

''Yes''

''How long does that take'', ''about five days''

Eleven days later she finally gave up. I sat there and watched her starve and dehydrate to death, with all the gory stuff that went with it. I said at the time ''can't she be helped on her way'', ''No, she must die by her own means''. sad.png

My mum had a minor stroke at 85, l went back to UK to be with her. Whilst in hospital had another stroke and l was told the effected part of her brain is final for her. I asked ''what happens now', they said ''we stop food and water till she dies''. Hmmmmm, are your sure thats the only option ?

''Yes''

Eleven days later she finally gave up. I sat there and watched her starve and dehydrate to death, with all the gory stuff that went with it. I said at the time ''can't she be helped on her way'', ''No, she must die by her own means''. sad.png

:( *offers hugs*

• Like 2

''Yes''

A very sad story, but regrettably not rare. Like others in this thread I have advised my wife that if I have a terminal illness let me have a dignified death. For those of you that are interested I have provided below the URL for a Thai Living Will that also comments on how the Thai medical profession handles terminal illness. Take it as you wish as I am not posting this info for a long argument of the pros & cons of the content., nor the source

http://www.pattayaci...g will form.pdf

Edited by simple1

The real question is : Do you have a choice ?

Sure everyone would prefer die rather than suffer horrifyingly for the rest of our lives, but checking out is not an option in the LOS

Euthanasia is not a welcome debate here.

Sure everyone would prefer die rather than suffer horrifyingly for the rest of our lives, but checking out is not an option in the LOS

Yet I see terminally ill Australians (and probably others) are coming here and accessing Nembutal from Vet clinics, purely for the purpose of killing themselves. Some Vet clinics in BKK actually have signs in their windows saying "Australians welcome for Vet supplies".

For the first 50 years my life in the UK was worthless tedium.

My last 5 years in Thailand have made the whole thing worthwhile, if I die tomorrow, no problem.

(But another 5 years like the last 5 would be really good)

I hope you get another 50.

Close to 40 and it has begun to sink in that time and resources are in fact limited and the future is not wide open. I don't know if its that I fear death, but would fight against it tooth and nail right now. Too much hasn't been done, or seen, or even said to people i care about. Don't fear death as much as I'm pissed off about it. You learn all these things and then... bam. What a jip.

Sent from iPhone. Errors in grammar or judgement are excused. Dreadfully sorry. :)

Edited by PaiMei

For the first 50 years my life in the UK was worthless tedium.

My last 5 years in Thailand have made the whole thing worthwhile, if I die tomorrow, no problem.

(But another 5 years like the last 5 would be really good)

I hope you get another 50.

Close to 40 and it has begun to sink in that time and resources are in fact limited and the future is not wide open. I don't know if its that I fear death, but would fight against it tooth and nail right now. Too much hasn't been done, or seen, or even said to people i care about. Don't fear death as much as I'm pissed off about it. You learn all these things and then... bam. What a jip.

Sent from iPhone. Errors in grammar or judgement are excused. Dreadfully sorry. smile.png

If you are thinking time and resources aren't infinite at 40, try imagining what it's like at 70, my age, and yet even as I'm aware that there's a hell of a lot more sand in the bottom of the hour glass than at the top, it doesn't really concern me one bit. I've had a very interesting life with few regrets and don't dwell on the inevitable. That would take any fun out of what time I've got left.

Yet I see terminally ill Australians (and probably others) are coming here and accessing Nembutal from Vet clinics, purely for the purpose of killing themselves. Some Vet clinics in BKK actually have signs in their windows saying "Australians welcome for Vet supplies".

That's all very well when/if you have prepared for it, down your research work, and the disease /illness has giving you the allowance to get the drug, be able to prepare it, you can gobble it down when the nurse is not looking, and are ready to die alone or sneak your death out.

That's an awful lot of IF's

I am not ready to get it and keep it in my house for a "just in case" scenario

Edited by aneliane

That's all very well when/if you have prepared for it, down your research work, and the disease /illness has giving you the allowance to get the drug and you can gobble it down when the nurse is not looking.

That's an awful lot of IF's

Let's just hope our luck holds out then, and we're not struck down prematurely.

Imagine getting killed by a bus on your way to the vets.

Or having a heart attack in anticipation ...

I can imagine somene chortling away, with his potion of eternal sleep in the bedside cabinet

"Why are you chortling so much today, Mr Someone? Is it in glee and anticipation of your family's visit tomorrow"

"No - they've spent all that money on flights to get me to change my will and the money;'s gone already - and so will I chuckle chuckle cough cough croak"

The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley, but that is no excuse to fail to plan

SC

I do not want to die. As stressful as my life can be, I have worked too hard to just say, mmkay, I'm crippled or incapacitated and I'm just going to toss the towel in and float away.......

I have obligations to some furry critters and I know that as long as I am breathing that I am doing some good for others.Perhaps some people are not in that position, or would be unwilling to fight for life. That's their personal choice, not mine. On the other hand, if I was a vegetable, I have no problem with the plug being pulled as I wouldn't want to spend my remaining days with tubes stuck in me, on life support, incapacitated. However, Mr. Death is going to have to fight it out with me in oher situations.I know that even with terminal cancer, there are painful actions I can take to prolong my life a few months or years. I will do it. I worked hard to put money aside for such a situation. That extra time will allow me to close things off and put my affairs in order. Besides, I want to keep living just to piss off those who want my money. Better yet, when I die and the critters get my money, I'll have the last laugh. On the other hand, if I am run down by an idiot driver, I'll never know, so who cares......

BUT, why should money come into any of life's equations. ?

Its important to some people.

I suppose they use it as a yardstick by which to measure themselves, in the absence of other values; or perhaps it is a substitute for other religions that you and I might deem more spiritual; I don't know. But it does seem to be important to a lot of people on this forum. Some of them view it like virginity, and believe that if you can avoid paying for sex, you're as pure as a virgin. Others seem to see it as the obverse of sex. Anyway, it seems to be important to a lot of people on this forum.

Its important to me. I use it to pay for my children's education, and also for various other, more ephemeral pleasures. THough at the end of the day, it is only an 'exchange particle' that allows me to trade labour for those things, with the advantage of being able to be stored (well, not in my case, but other people seem to...)

GKid seems to want ot use it as a means to posthumously vent his spleen against his relatives, and no doubt his anticipation of that may accelerate its occurrence.

Anyway, to get back on topic; I am sure we all of us do not want to live a long and glorious senility of bumbling and incontinent imcompetent insensibility, but it is putting a big burden on those around us to judge when that threshold is reached, if we are no longer able to make that judgement for ourselves, nor able to perform the necessary concluding measures, so perhaps it would be prudent and courteous to forego a couple of good years, for the benefit of those around us, and to avoid a lasting distasteful memory.

SC

My uncle did the self same thing...despite being riddled with cancer he continued to work twelve hour days to provide for his wife and kids...right up almost until the end.

When he died he had provided for the funeral in every way and for the future of his family. A selfless gesture.

I dropped by his grave a couple of years ago to pay my respects (bear in mind he died 20 years previous) and there were fresh flowers there that day already from another unknown source.

That is the mark of a real man in my opinion.

• Like 1

I am not ready to get it (Nembutal ... my insert for clairification) and keep it in my house for a "just in case" scenario

Aneliane ... that is a serious thing that you have done there.

Do you keep the Nembutal in case you come across a very ill soi dog and decide that it's in the poor animals best interest to 'put it down'?

If it's for you ... do you also have a needle and syringe?

Assuming that you would only depart this world 'as a last resort' ... have you pre-loaded the syringe with the Nembutal?

Some very serious things to contemplate in your post ... you have really opened my eyes ...

I am not ready to get it (Nembutal ... my insert for clairification) and keep it in my house for a "just in case" scenario

Do you keep the Nembutal in case you come across a very ill soi dog and decide that it's in the poor animals best interest to 'put it down'?

Assuming that you would only depart this world 'as a last resort' ... have you pre-loaded the syringe with the Nembutal?

Some very serious things to contemplate in your post ... you have really opened my eyes ...

Too often we leave the last resort too late, which was the subject of one of my earlier posts. We have to take th last resort while we still have something to lose; while we are still capable of the execution of it.

Can you imagine keeling over while administering your Final Solution, and then someone else coming across and mis-using the syringe.

Aged Person: "Oh... oh... dear me, I feel all fain........"

...... Time passes

Aged Person: "Aha. I have awoken refreshed as I have not felt refreshed since the three-day week!

I feel fully invigorated, alive, raring to go, an astounded that moments ago I was on the brink of..."

Attending paramedic: "Look here, my paramedic chum. Here's a diabetic who has keeled over on the brink of injecting his life-saving insulin. Let us save him forthwith and restore him to vitality"

If you're going to have a plan, make sure you can execute it properly

SC

I believe Nembutal can be taken orally, no need for a syringe.

reread

I said = I AM NOT READY TO ...

If it's like Seconal and you have 90 capsules to open and mix with water, and drink within 90 seconds, you better be good with your fingers/hands despite whatever condition you have

Edited by aneliane

If it's like Seconal and you have 90 capsules to open and mix with water, and drink within 90 seconds, you better be good with your fingers/hands despite whatever condition you have

Is it in that form from Vet Clinics? I couldn't see them going to that trouble to euthanise a dog. I read that it's in 100ml bottles, that suggests liquid to me.

Edited by giddyup

Is it in that form from Vet Clinics? I couldn't see them going to that trouble to euthanise a dog. I read that it's in 100ml bottles, that suggests liquid to me.

No that's what they use in Oregon, the only state with Washington to allow Death with Dignity in the States, you get it by prescription from your doctor

Edited by aneliane

No that's what they use in Oregon, the only state with Washington to allow Death with Dignity in the States, you get it by prescription from your doctor

A state with a sensible law.

Also Seconal is only around 100 us whereas Nebuthal is over 1000

Edited by aneliane

Also Seconal is only around 100 us whereas Nebuthal is over 1000

Lend us a few bucks;I don't want to skimp. Not on this. I'll pay you back, honest...

Me I don't care both put you to sleep in minutes painlessly anyway,also I guess a few bucks left on my bank account to buy Pedigree Pal for my doggies after I check out would be a good idea.:)

Edited by aneliane

Why would opening the capsules be timed? I would guess that maybe it would be 90 seconds from the time that one mixed the powder with water.