Why Do Thais Jog Anti-Clockwise?

brit1984

I have noticed this at a park in Isaan and at Benjasiri park in Bangkok.

I have been following the trend but I am now worried about becoming lopsided.

Why do Thai people (and foreigners living in Thailand) jog anti-clockwise?

Will I be committing a cultural faux pas if I break the mould and jog clockwise?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise) I think it’s a standard? Everywhere? Every track I have run on is counter-clockwise. Same with most car race tracks in the US. But we drive on the right.

Athletics tracks are anti-clockwise. You run clockwise because you're an amateur.

I am indeed an amateur but my fellow joggers don't look like professionals...

Some of them just walk around the park many times (anti-clockwise) then go home.

I run anti-clockwise (counter clockwise) I think it’s a standard? Everywhere? Every track I have run on is counter-clockwise. Same with most car race tracks in the US. But we drive on the right.

In the UK, some people jog around the park clockwise and some anti-clockwise, and some (like me) alternate. I prefer the British system as it means you see more faces and hence more chance to see people you know to say hello to.

No ones legs are the same length. Maybe has something to do with that? Each person preferring the direction of the shortest leg………just a thought.

Are you suggesting Thais all have a shorter left legs and hence prefer to run anti-clockwise?

... I will have to do some further experiments to test your hypothesis

Same reason in my neighborhood, they ride their bicycle in a 8 meter circular motion over, and over, and over for about an hour straight.

You'd think they'd want to quickly bike to the park, and go around the lake, which has an excellent bike path. But if you want to bike round and round in circles infront of your house, up to you!

No idea!

No ones legs are the same length. Maybe has something to do with that? Each person preferring the direction of the shortest leg………just a thought.

Are you suggesting Thais all have a shorter left legs and hence prefer to run anti-clockwise?

... I will have to do some further experiments to test your hypothesis

I’m not suggesting Thai’s have shorter left legs. But, maybe westerners have taller left legs.smile.png

Their right legs are a bit more powerful than their left legs leading to a slight rotation. cheesy.gif

I once heard a very interesting fact that if you were to put a person in a big flat field, blind fold them and tell them to walk straight to the other side that they will end up walking in circles. smile.png

All the indoor tracks I jogged on in the US it was counter clockwise.

The scientific reason:

I guess, by this time you are clear about the direction in which the runners run.So let us see the reason why runners always run in the counter clockwise direction. The reason is simple and it is also based on the structure of the human body. The most precious part of any human body is heart and it is located on the left side of the body. So running in the anticlockwise direction ensures that the centrifugal force force in the body to act from left to right and as a result we can say that the blood circulation is very good.

The principal vein carrying blood to the hear is known as Superior Venecava, and it takes the heart aided by heart suction and more importantly this vein carries deoxygenated blood from the upper half of the body to the heart's right atrium

250px-Diagram_of_the_human_heart_%28cropped%29.svg.png

So this centrifugal force, due to running in counter clockwise direction, will helps this and also increase the blood circulation and it does not make the athlete tired very soon. On the other hand running in clockwise direction, will make the centrifugal force to impede suction and it tires athletes.It is also said that, when an athlete runs in counter clockwise direction, he encounters only left turns and as a matter of fact left turns are more easier than that of right turns.I guess this fact would have helped you to know something interesting and i also thank for all those who actually find the reason for runners running in counter clockwise direction.

Source:

That is a brilliant answer... you are a genius

And clearly Thai people are geniuses too

Learn something new each day.wai.gif

• Like 1

Found another interesting article. Believe what you will. biggrin.png

Professor Watanabe Hitoshi devoted many years of his life to research about which is the best way to design stairs and emergency exits. He reached a point in his research where he had to decide if it was better to design stairs that you have to go down clockwise or counterclockwise. Experiments had been carried out previously and it was known that there is tendency to turn counterclockwise, for example, if you cover you eyes and try to walk straight almost always you will end up walking a little bit to the left. But Mr. Watanabe wanted to investigate more:

• 1.- Most of human beings are right handed.
  • 2.- Most of left-handed people are right-footed, while most of the right-handed people are also right-footed.
  • 3.- Most of human beings have slightly longer right leg than left leg.

These three factors make our right leg to be dominant over the left leg, which causes a tendency to turn to the left, and to be able to run faster and more comfortable in a counterclockwise direction. He also found out that:

• 4.- Humans walk instinctively protecting the left part of their body (for example by putting their left part of the body nearer to walls) because our heart is in the center-left part of our chest
  • 5.- Drifting to the left is basically human nature, and running in a counterclockwise direction practically an instinct.

Mr. Watanabe carried out a lot of experiments and observations to reach these conclusions. For example, he found out that in public places with big crowds although it seems that people move randomly, around 75% of the people follow paths drifting to the left (counterclockwise direction). This is very interesting if you want to know the best location for your restaurant/shop/business! He also found out through an experiment that when people is being chased and trying to escape, they turn to the left unconsciously 70% of the times.

Source

Also read somewhere that the old castle spiral staircase turns in the direction it does to aid the right handed swordsman defending from the higher position on the spiral.

Actually for normal walking exercise I find Thai and myself going both directions daily in mooban. I will normally go CCW but if taking the other block go CW. Find Thai going both directions every day. But as said for those actually jogging it seems to be CCW.

All the indoor tracks I jogged on in the US it was counter clockwise.

The scientific reason:

I guess, by this time you are clear about the direction in which the runners run.So let us see the reason why runners always run in the counter clockwise direction. The reason is simple and it is also based on the structure of the human body. The most precious part of any human body is heart and it is located on the left side of the body. So running in the anticlockwise direction ensures that the centrifugal force force in the body to act from left to right and as a result we can say that the blood circulation is very good.

The principal vein carrying blood to the hear is known as Superior Venecava, and it takes the heart aided by heart suction and more importantly this vein carries deoxygenated blood from the upper half of the body to the heart's right atrium

250px-Diagram_of_the_human_heart_%28cropped%29.svg.png

So this centrifugal force, due to running in counter clockwise direction, will helps this and also increase the blood circulation and it does not make the athlete tired very soon. On the other hand running in clockwise direction, will make the centrifugal force to impede suction and it tires athletes.It is also said that, when an athlete runs in counter clockwise direction, he encounters only left turns and as a matter of fact left turns are more easier than that of right turns.I guess this fact would have helped you to know something interesting and i also thank for all those who actually find the reason for runners running in counter clockwise direction.

Source:

I clicked on the source and it leads to the actual web site. At the bottom of that site is another revelation: "exercise can lead to orgasms in women".

I have learnt 2 new things today. clap2.gif

throughout asia you also walk counterclockwise around a temple (an object to worship)...

Actually I beg to differ on that.

Everytime I have walked the '3 times round' a Temple or the Golden Dome in Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, we have always walked 'clockwise' around.

• Like 1

Actually I beg to differ on that.

Everytime I have walked the '3 times round' a Temple or the Golden Dome in Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep, we have always walked 'clockwise' around.

You're correct David.

When visiting Buddhist temples in Thailand, dress respectfully and remember that even if the temple is a major tourist attraction, it is also a place of worship. Shoes are removed before entering, and generally you should walk around a Buddhist temple in a clockwise direction. Suite101

Always walk clockwise around Buddhist monuments, keeping the religious landmarks to your right. The Buddhist practice of circling stupas and religion sites is believed to have been derived from cults that circled solar temples. factsanddetails

Why Clockwise?

In the Buddhist tradition, clockwise circumambulation is a sign of respect; a number of sutras describe disciples doing three clockwise circumambulations of the Buddha and prostrating to him before requesting teachings. (The word ‘clockwise’ is an adaptation of an earlier term translated from Sanskrit as ‘sunwise.’) Moonpointer

There are several theories regarding circumambulate and direction. One is that the left hand is used to wash oneself and as such should stay away from the religious articles to prevent accidentally touching them. Another is relative to the rotation of the stars/planets thus the formation of the word 'clockwise'.

Guess it's the amateurs going the wrong direction. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Now I know why no Thai people jog in the section of the park (in Isaan) that has a temple in the middle.

They must be confused as they don't know whether to run clockwise out of respect for Buddhism or to run anti-clockwise to minimise the impact of centrifrugal forces on their anatomy.

Now that I know the Thai people are so sophisticated I feel rather inferior... but at least I can have the nicer part of the park to myself.