Drinking Rainwater From A Tile Roof

patongphil

We have been doing it for 8 years now though we generally let 4 or 5 heavy rains go past first. Last year we filled 2 x 3,000 litre tanks in 2 days/nights of heavy rain and that generally does 4 of us for 6 months or so.

Firstly determine if your tiles actually are painted, most if not all ceramic and concrete based tiles are self coloured (the same all the way through), these should pose zero risk.

This is a very interesting Idea.

If you would do a search on the internet you will find a lot of good information.

Personally I would be concern drinking rain water with out filtering it first.

before the water gets's to your roof or other collecting system it has to travel through the atmosphere, and collect what ever pollutants are there.

we have all heard of Acid rain.

Then we have to be concerned about pollutants present on the roof. Perhaps letting the rainwater bypass your collecting system for the first few minutes of a rain storm, might mitigate that, but we still have atmospheric contamination to be concerned with.

• Like 1

As pointed out, it is considered a must to use tiles with no paints or coatings. Also you don't want PVC to be used for your down spouts or anywhere that is in the sun because sunlight breaks down PVC and leaches toxins into the water.

As far as flushing the contaminants away that have collected since the last rain, Thai's do this manually by pulling the pipe away and moving it back into place. In other countries they use a simple device made for this purpose that makes it automatic and such devices don't even use electricity making this a snap.

We have been doing it for 8 years now though we generally let 4 or 5 heavy rains go past first. Last year we filled 2 x 3,000 litre tanks in 2 days/nights of heavy rain and that generally does 4 of us for 6 months or so.

So you'll be using this stored rain water for showering, dishes, toilets, etc. But do you actually drink water that has been stored in a tank for 6 months? What does it taste like? What is storage tank material? Do you use any filtration? Genuine curiousity as I am thinking of catching rainwater for consumption, and many other uses.

My concern would be the older style, not that old really, often contained asbestos. This was something I've been aware of for sometime but discovered more by accident when I had tiled covered parking installed and found out what was in them.

The new law banning chrysotile asbestos has caused a stir in the Thai roof tile industry with varied responses from tile makers. Ha Huang brand invests 100 million bath in green innovation producing 100% asbestos-free tiles while maintaining the existing price in the hope to stay no. 1 in the market share. Diamond brand throws in 50 million bath. SCG brand holds a safe lead while Oranit brand continues to oppose the cabinet resolution.

Roof tile manufactures have hurriedly adjusted their production to suit global warning concerns and the cabinet resolution dated 12 April 2011 on prohibiting import of asbestos and products containing forms of asbestos or substitutions. The cabinet resolution was developed based on the National Health Assembly (NHA) resolution on asbestos in 2010.

http://en.nationalhe....or.th/node/206

So you'll be using this stored rain water for showering, dishes, toilets, etc. But do you actually drink water that has been stored in a tank for 6 months? What does it taste like? What is storage tank material? Do you use any filtration? Genuine curiousity as I am thinking of catching rainwater for consumption, and many other uses.

I bought a large activated charcoal filter. By large, I mean about 5 inches in diameter and 45 inches high. That water goes from there through a ceramic filter. We get the rain water from a metal roof over the outside kitchen. It is collected in a 1500 liter fiberglass tank. That's what we drink and cook with year round, rainy season to rainy season. It has absolutely no taste even at the very end of the dry season.

My wife knows EVERYTHING and refuses to use the rain water off the tiled house roof. I think it would be safe to use for drinking water but someone told her it wasn't safe. We do use it for showers and the washing machine. Our village water is hard and there is a big difference between it and the rain water.

I lived for a couple of years in an area of Issan where water wells were non existent. No one would even talk about drilling. Had been tried countless time. Drilling deep was hitting rock and couldn't drill through it.

One neighbor behind us had what looked like 3 or 4 concrete silos - taller than the second floor of his 2 level house . I always figured they were standard concrete ring water tanks. Then one of the local construction guys told us about them.

They were 1 m diameter rings that went 60m deep. He filled the system with rain water from his roof and went the entire year without using the local supply. Anyone wants to do a drive-by look-see, PM me for directions. I never got around to talking to the man so don't know him at all.

Gary, do you have to replace or re-activate the charcoal periodically?

Of course it depends how much water you put through it. Just using it for drinking water, it will last for several years and then it should be replaced. It cannot be cleaned. If the water has any taste or odor, it needs replaced.

In fact, I'd like to replace it anytime now. If anyone knows where I can get a decent bulk price please advise. I need about 18 liters of it. All I can find locally are those little plastic bags for the sink top filters.

Of course it depends how much water you put through it. Just using it for drinking water, it will last for several years and then it should be replaced. It cannot be cleaned. If the water has any taste or odor, it needs replaced.

In fact, I'd like to replace it anytime now. If anyone knows where I can get a decent bulk price please advise. I need about 18 liters of it. All I can find locally are those little plastic bags for the sink top filters.

Baking them at a high temperature reactivates them. In the west I am fortunate to have access to a pottery kiln , and I put my Activate charcoal in the kiln when ever they have a firing, I does a good job. In Thailand My father in law makes charcoal in one of those earth ovens,I have never used it to re-activate charcoal but I bet it would work very well also.

• Like 1

I have researched this and found that soaking it in strong solution of caustic soda, rinsing it well and then heating to a minimum of 900 C for 30 minutes will reactivate it. I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort. I have yet to find the product or the bulk prices to determine if it would be worth a try.

Edited by Gary A

I have researched this and found that soaking it in strong solution of caustic soda, rinsing it well and then heating to a minimum of 900 C for 30 minutes will reactivate it. I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort. I have yet to find the product or the bulk prices to determine if it would be worth a try.

It is only worth it if you can find some one who is already running an oven, and you can piggyback on it,

in a situation such as I described in my original reply, or some other situation, otherwise the energy costs of would be greater than the cost of buying fresh activated charcoal.

• 2 weeks later...

My concern would be the older style, not that old really, often contained asbestos. This was something I've been aware of for sometime but discovered more by accident when I had tiled covered parking installed and found out what was in them.

The new law banning chrysotile asbestos has caused a stir in the Thai roof tile industry with varied responses from tile makers. Ha Huang brand invests 100 million bath in green innovation producing 100% asbestos-free tiles while maintaining the existing price in the hope to stay no. 1 in the market share. Diamond brand throws in 50 million bath. SCG brand holds a safe lead while Oranit brand continues to oppose the cabinet resolution.

Roof tile manufactures have hurriedly adjusted their production to suit global warning concerns and the cabinet resolution dated 12 April 2011 on prohibiting import of asbestos and products containing forms of asbestos or substitutions. The cabinet resolution was developed based on the National Health Assembly (NHA) resolution on asbestos in 2010.

http://en.nationalhe....or.th/node/206

This is one of the embarrassing things about Canada's present government(s) who still support mining and selling asbestos. One of the few big users remaining is Thailand. Here is a bit of new info from the Canadian, and now international standpoint.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1696859.html

http://www.huffingto...m_hp_ref=canada

Edited by DowntownAl

My solution I know is over-kill but seems to be holding up.

I have a translucent blue PVC water tank (hopefully to be replaced by a larger fibre-glass or opaque material tank) and have connected this to a swimming pool filter through Zeolite. I circulate it for 4 hours after heavy rain and about 30 minutes per day between rainfalls. The zeolite should remain effective for 10 years. (My town water supply is particularly hard and unpotable).

The zeolite effectively clarifies the water and removes any re-growing algae and 95% of the microbe contamination.

For showers and other uses I use this then finally passing through a 30 micron spun poly filter cartridge. For drinking water I pass it through a ceramic filter, charcoal and finally a de-ionizer resin (Commercial 3 container filter system). This should remove bugs, heavy metals (eg lead etc) and any off taste and it seems to but not analysed by a lab. Finally I boil this water for a few minutes and then bottle and refrigerate it.

I can't think of anything better to drink water off than genuine clay tiles, widely available in Thailand. Homemart even sells excellent quality, double locking types designed in Germany, though many outlets do not know it.

My water filter outside was made by a compny called Mazuma and I ordered the charcoal from them the last time I replaced it.

Their website is here.

http://www.mazuma.co.th/aboutus_eng.html

page 6 gives the contact details.

My water filter outside was made by a compny called Mazuma and I ordered the charcoal from them the last time I replaced it.

Their website is here.

http://www.mazuma.co...boutus_eng.html

I have emailed Mazuma and so far, no answer. Emailing Thai companies rarely gets an answer for some reason.

I’ve been drinking rainwater collected in my 90,000 litre concrete tank from my concrete tiled roof for 16 years (with PVC downpipes) filtered through a basic wall-mounted 18” high double canister containing charcoal and resin with contents never replaced and backwashed only a handful of times. The water is crystal clear and good tasting and has never caused me, my family or friends (including billd766 above) any problem.

• Like 1

Their website is here.

http://www.mazuma.co...boutus_eng.html

I have emailed Mazuma and so far, no answer. Emailing Thai companies rarely gets an answer for some reason.

I think the last time I wanted some I phoned them up and they delivered to a friends house in BKK where I collected it.

They will deliver anywhere in Thailand I am sure and the best way would be to get them to EMS it so that you can track it.

In no particular order:

Not to recommend asbestos for any application, but as best I can remember, it is listed as harmful only when inhaled, not ingested via the GI system in water. Not recommending drinking asbestos, but just for the record...

If tile, I would want the roof tiles to be glazed, fired clay if rainwater catchment for domestic consumption is the plan. The concrete tiles I've seen have a painted on coating, and are not integral color. In environmentally-enlightened LoS, it is still fine to use lead in paint. so tile coatings would also likely wear off like any paint or dissolve slowly in acid rain.

I wouldn't consume water off a 'tin' roof, as either the painted coating and/or the galvanizing gets dissolved by acid rain a little bit at a time.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me where to buy this RainHarvesting brand in Thailand? It looks expensive if it's imported from Australia, but would like to check it out as I have a problem with dry leaves getting on the roof and I don't want to cut the trees down as they keep the house very cool and nice.

Just my two satang on the drinking of the collected water: I don't see much point in it when the water you can buy in the 20 liter bottles is so inexpensive. It takes a lot of those bottles to pay off any filtration system, it's delivered (at least where I am, but I can't imagine any part of the country where this business doesn't exist), and requires no filter changing or maintenance.

We collect rainwater in a 15,000 liter tank and use it for showering, washing dishes, the lawn, etc. Not for drinking though, but as people have pointed out here, as long as the rain is consistent (not so much in Phuket, it's either all or nothing) then I would consider drinking it and have (brushing teeth.) But I pay currently 12 baht for a 20 liter bottle of water and that is really so cheap it's not worth thinking about taking the chance.

Rainwater doesn't need to be "consistent" to drink. In fact, storing water in tanks improves water quality since the still water allows sediments to drop to the bottom.

That is the kind filter you want because it is designed to shed debris and leaves. In Thailand, the only kind I have seen are just a flat filter in a funnel which creates a debris trap needing regular maintenance to clear. The other unfortunate part is they make them out of blue PVC which leaches toxins into the water which I personally wouldn't want even if I was not drinking the water. This particular component could probably be built DIY, but importing would be less hassle and probably more refined. If it is something you would use for years then it would probably be worth importing along with a set of all the other essential parts in one shipment.