Chemotherapy For Lung Cancer

JRinger

Can anyone recommend a good hospital (private or Gov't) in Bangkok or Isaan for Chemotherapy to treat lung cancer (3rd stage, non-small cell).

If possible, someone with first hand experience or if you know someone who has had chemo and their experience.

thanks in advance

Edited by JRinger

in Issaan, Khon Kaen Univ Hospital. http://www.md.kku.ac.th/en/index.php?index_page=med_serv&page=hospital

if you can, see Dr.Anakapong Phunmanee there. You will find his CV and tek/email coordinates (google-tranlated, but still readable) here http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&u=http://med.md.kku.ac.th/mdbtemplate/mytemplate/template.php%3Fcomponent%3Dview_article%26qid%3D129&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSrinagarind%2BHospital%2Bnon-small%2Bcell%2Blung%2Bcancer%2BThailand%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D7k8%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=EEX5T7wVh9OtB6qUpbwG&ved=0CGQQ7gEwAg

In Bangkok, Siriraj or Chulalonghorm Hospitals would be best government wise. If you can afford private (and this will run into mega $$$) then Samitivej, Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital all have good cancer centers.

Dr. Virote Srianpong, who is at Chula, Bumrungrad and also Bangkok hospital, is an oncologist with considerable experience in treating this type of cancer.

Also Dr. Vichien Srimuninnimit who can be found at both Siriraj and Bangkok Hospital.

There are some clinical trials currently underway in Thailand on treatment of your condition. The two doctors listed above would know of them and whether you are a good candidate for any of them.

Good luck.

in Issaan, Khon Kaen Univ Hospital. http://www.md.kku.ac...8;page=hospital

if you can, see Dr.Anakapong Phunmanee there. You will find his CV and tek/email coordinates (google-tranlated, but still readable) here http://translate.goo...ved=0CGQQ7gEwAg

In Bangkok, Siriraj or Chulalonghorm Hospitals would be best government wise. If you can afford private (and this will run into mega $$$) then Samitivej, Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospital all have good cancer centers.

Dr. Virote Srianpong, who is at Chula, Bumrungrad and also Bangkok hospital, is an oncologist with considerable experience in treating this type of cancer.

Also Dr. Vichien Srimuninnimit who can be found at both Siriraj and Bangkok Hospital.

There are some clinical trials currently underway in Thailand on treatment of your condition. The two doctors listed above would know of them and whether you are a good candidate for any of them.

Good luck.

Thank you Sheryl for your detailed response.

I know you've been here on TV for many years giving good advice and responding to people. The information you gave above and the recommended doctors, do you have personal experience with them or know someone who has been treated by them. Dr. Vichien Srimuninnimit seems to be the best bet for me although I would have to go to Siriraj since I don't have insurance or unlimited funds. Bangkok hospital may be good but I also had a bad experience there many years ago. I was diagnosed with a stomach ulcer when it turned out to be kidney stones (ultrasound at Rajapruk, Khon Kaen). Spent several thousand baht and wasted a lot of time at Bangkok Hospital for nothing....

Khon Kaen university hospital I will stay away from also, even though it's quite near to me. Too many bad experiences there. something I didn't know earlier about the government hospitals is that doctors as well as students can operate on you with impunity. I've had a couple close calls there and wouldn't recommend that hospital to anyone. I know that hospital is rated very high but not by me.

What about Wattanosoth Cancer Hospital or the National Institute of Cancer, both of which are in Bangkok?

again, thanks for the information. by the way, the link for Dr.Anakapong Phunmanee in your post doesn't work. it goes to google translate.

Wattanasoth Cancer Center is part of Bangkok Hospital.

Do not put so much emphasis on choice of hospitals, it is the specific doctor(s) that matters. Also note that there is considerable difference between Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok and its affiliates upcountry.

The untranslated link for Dr.Anakapong Phunmanee is http://med.md.kku.ac...article&qid=129 Actually the key parts are in English already so it's OK. It is possible he has private practice somewhere, the websites for Bangkok Hosp Korat and Khin Kaen Ram are so dreadfulk that it is impossible to find out who's on staff at either one.

As you are limuited financially your best options are either KKU, Siriraj or Chula. Chula has the advantage that they have an after hours private clinic (clinic nok wela) where in you can consult their doctors by appointment and choose whom you see, still at lower rates than in a private hospital. I don't know if KKU has such an arrangement or not,. So you might consider seeing Dr. Virote that way. the after hours clinic starts at I think 4 PM and is I believe on the 13th floor (but double check this). You need first to go through the normal registration process on the first floor to get a patient card, then go up there to make the appointment. Have a Thai speaker with you if you can. I think someone will be at reception before 4 PM so you can go up and see about appointment ahead of time. Might or might not get it same day so best allow a few days just in case. A frustrating aspect iof this arrangement is that you can't do anything online, not even ascertain availability and hours of particular doctors, and I haven't heard of anyone having much luck by phone wither though you could try having a Thai speaker call, ask for the clinic nok wela and see if they can ascertain his availability/get you an appointment.

Sheryl, you are right about "the doctor" and not "the hospital". I've already seen Dr. Anakapong and will go to see him again this evening at his clinic. I did like him and he seemed very knowledgeable and straightforward. Actually, the money isn't a big issue since it's fairly certain the VA will reimburse me for medical costs. In case there happen to be other Vietnam Veterans reading this who get lung cancer and can't get any response from the VA, let me know and I will tell you who to contact or just contact JUSMAG. I've been trying for a long time to get some response from the VA and finally, just the other day, a VA representative contacted me who helps veterans's file for medical benefits or disability. He also helps widows of deceased veterans to get benefits.....(sorry for the off topic)....

You've been a great help Sheryl and will let you know the results, if I'm able....

Edited by JRinger