London Olympics

Guess it's just a coinsidence since Team GB got 20% of lottery funding they started winning gold medals in abundance, £120 million+ per year, mainly on sports that most people in the UK would not cross the road to watch on a Saturday afternoon.

Anyway bring on the golf Tiger Woods etc, thats not been done for commercial reason has it. Coe said the games cost would be £3 billion in actual fact all costs added up estimated at £27 billion plus. Either way we all have use of google to decide on what costs to beleive but the press are using the freedom of information act to get details as the goverment are not freely giving it up and when they do, its ah well the 600 million in policing costs would have been there anyway. And what cost on 1100 members of armed forces, well they were just at home with families on vacation from Afghanistan in a lot of cases, so free i guess.

Conspiracy theorist re quotes not intentional only way i could get the post as i am ignorant in that department as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2092077/London-2012-Olympics-cost-spiral-24bn--10-TIMES-higher-2005-estimate.html

Edited by marstons

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For our Welsh readers ...

Legacy hope after record Welsh medals haul at Olympics

There are calls for the Olympics legacy to be secured in Wales for the next generation.

Fred Evans's boxing silver on Sunday ensured a record seven Welsh medals in one Games - two more than in Beijing.

More Here

An Olympic wrap from an Australian perspective.

post-104736-0-74440200-1344975424_thumb.

It's a difficult task to pick the favourite Games highlights but Grandstand has polled the ABC team on the ground in London and here's their mixed dozen ...

post-104736-0-63372300-1344975532_thumb.

Bolt wins the 200m title.

Usain Bolt thrilled the London crowd with wins in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay finals.

More and the other 11 top sporting moments for the Olympics are here.

Please feel free to add yours from your unique perspective.

OH ... I had to google to see who Russell Brand was.

More then one person was asking why he was on stage ... blink.png

Closing thoughts by others ...

Rogge closes 'happy and glorious' Games

post-104736-0-62307700-1344983622_thumb.

Fatboy Slim performs at the Olympic closing ceremony as a psychedelic bus transforms into a glowing octopus.

The verdict is in. IOC President Jacques Rogge has hailed the London Olympics as a "happy and glorious games."

Rogge's assessment came as the 2012 Games were brought to a spectacular close with a kaleidoscopic blast of British pop and pomp.

Trumpeted as "A Symphony of British Music", the Closing Ceremony of the 30th Olympiad said farewell to 16 intense and awe inspiring days of competition in London.

More here

I have just read the following article /opinion from a Thai perspective and found it compliments much of what I believe to have come from the GB olympics but as it is from the Nation will put the ref url with a hope it will be allowed to enable contributing members to read on this thread dedicated to them.

Ref url http://www.nationmul...s-30188198.html

Apologies if I am doing so and it is published elsewhere or indeed I am unintentionally breaking any rules in posting it here.

If it does is there some way of editing / posting it here within my post to allow it to stay please mods and administration wai.gif

While it is a shortish article and personal point of view courteousy of Achara Deboonme of the Nation , for me it covers much of what we have been debating on certain parts of the games, pre sponsorship and the years of dedication put in prior to being selected.

Most importanly it is as seen from a Thai perspective and mentions briefly the injustice re the boxing

( among other non Thai outcomes ) final of which all Thai feel aggrieved by and he was IMHO robbed of the gold medal he rightly deserved.

It also mentions after funding and asks why don,t ALL participating athletes get rewarded for their, along with the actual medal winners.

After all they all made the sacrifices and put in the dedication over many years to be able to compete.

IMHO they are, along with all the competitors, winners, medals or not and they deserve due recognition both now and in the future, funding to further their will to improve and come back to compete in the next games in Rio.

Winners one and all and that,s a fact in my books.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags

Usain Bolt, the world's fastest man is reported to have said that he will not compete on UK soil again until the British Government taxes him less, (he earnt around £12.7m last year) he could see his £12.5m Puma sponsorship deal taxed at the 50% higher tax rate were he to compete in Britain in future.

The Olympics was given a concession evidently from the UK govt to be free from tax on earnings.

I didnt complain at the time about my UK tax being taken to pay for the games so Bolt could earn £12.5 m

Usain Bolt, the world's fastest man is reported to have said that he will not compete on UK soil again until the British Government taxes him less, (he earnt around £12.7m last year) he could see his £12.5m Puma sponsorship deal taxed at the 50% higher tax rate were he to compete in Britain in future.

The Olympics was given a concession evidently from the UK govt to be free from tax on earnings.

I didnt complain at the time about my UK tax being taken to pay for the games so Bolt could earn £12.5 m

There's no way I'd turn down an interesting project because of the tax; I just try to live within my means...

Anyway, he can say what he likes, and I am sure there is a reason for him saying it, but there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis...

SC

The guy down my chip shop drives an Alvis

My dear old father had an Alvis; it was a beautiful big white convertible, if my memory serves me well, but if it were to be brutally honest, it was a rust-riddled wreck that was not worth the hundred quid he sold it for.

SC

The guy down my chip shop drives an Alvis

My dear old father had an Alvis; it was a beautiful big white convertible, if my memory serves me well, but if it were to be brutally honest, it was a rust-riddled wreck that was not worth the hundred quid he sold it for.

SC

My sister had a lovely pair of Bristols.........oops...... very sorry, must not hi jack threads with salacious snippets

Why shouldn't a Jamacian complain when the British tax department wants to take enormous amounts of his earnings when he has only worked in the place for a little under ten seconds?

I understand tens of thousands of Brits refuse to pay the exorbitent taxes there also, and choose to live elsewhere. Quite a few of them in Thailand.