London Olympics

There's a long way to go yet, splinter groups keep attacking trying to catch the leading group. GB team remain un phased and keep their cadance and grouping. Looks like they have a plan and are confident in it.

10 km and still a 55 sec gap... it's a big challenge...

The leaders are spreading out...

7.5 km and still 54 seconds...

SC

EDIT: Ah well, C'est la vie, as we sa in Britain. "We're going down the pub..."

Edited by StreetCowboy

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the commentary is ok as its utter garbage on most of the events I've watched so far,I've not heard one word since the woman's weightlifting started about 10 minutes ago,am I doing something wrong or is this how's it going to be on these additional ESPN channels.

The trouble with the Sky team is that they have plan A, when it doesn't work they do not have a plan B.

In my view they should never have let a group as strong as the one that got away such a large time advantage, too many good and experienced riders in there.

Once the break happened, no one was going to help to bring it in to hand it to Cavendish, I have no idea what Greipel was thinking, not to help in any way.

They should have kept in touch and if plan A didn't work, let Froome go from a long way, no plan B, always a problem.

• Like 1

6.15am here in Australia and I was up at 5am in hope of watching some of the pool events.

Previously it used to be Australia vs. America as the dominant nations but we are now sadly relegated to a lower status with the emergence of the new power in world swimming ... CHINA

Still, it was an emotional event to watch the Australian 4 x 100 Freestyle Team collect the Gold Medal in an event they were not fancied in.

For the first time in this Summer Olympics the Australian National Anthem is sung ... I'm a proud Aussie!

OH ... it was an Olympic Record also ... clap2.gif

EDIT ... have photos now ...

post-104736-0-44463500-1343508298_thumb. . post-104736-0-83188800-1343508296_thumb.

Edited by David48

post-104736-0-77574000-1343507267_thumb.

A London 2012 Olympic gold medal.

How many will Team GB win and what will be their overall medal tally?

For those interested in the prospects of the Great Britan Olympic's Team chances there is a good analysis here.

Everything from Archery to Wrestling

On the negative ...

How many more face lifts can Sir Paul McCartney have?

On the negative ...

How many more face lifts can Sir Paul McCartney have?

Some people never know when it's time to Retire.

An early faux pas at the Games.

http://www1.skysport...y/15234/7933111

Considering there are 204 Countries participating in the Olympics, and that there is north and South Korea,a minor mistake to say the least,and hardly worth the hulabaloo that followed.

Considering that the Olympics call them by their official names, Demagraphic Peoples Republic of Korea and Republic of Korea, you might, just, be able to understand it, but really, if there was two countries that you should not mix up, and the North in particular, it just should not happen.

as for calling a Welshman, English, that really is an insult to the English

Great Britain basketball women face Australia in London 2012 opener NOW

TeamGB seeded about 40th in the World would have not qualified usually for this Olympics except that they are the host Nation.

post-104736-0-96972000-1343509617_thumb.

Competing in such an event can only provide stiff competition and with the added experience, hopefully their place in World Rankings improve in future years.

Speaking of stiff competition, Team GB area about to take on the Silver Medallists from the last Olympics, the Australian Opals now.

post-104736-0-39136000-1343509832_thumb.

Speaking of which ... I'm off to watch same.

Agreed!

He was interviewed earlier today, post competition, by an Australian reporter.

Can't bring you that interview, but here is one from a slightly earlier time.

Normally I don't go much on the human interest side of these things but his story was special.

Good call Mossfinn ... thumbsup.gif

The trouble with the Sky team is that they have plan A, when it doesn't work they do not have a plan B.

In my view they should never have let a group as strong as the one that got away such a large time advantage, too many good and experienced riders in there.

Once the break happened, no one was going to help to bring it in to hand it to Cavendish, I have no idea what Greipel was thinking, not to help in any way.

They should have kept in touch and if plan A didn't work, let Froome go from a long way, no plan B, always a problem.

Yes it's a shame when other teams would rather someone else lose than even try for a win themselves.

One other problem was the lack of team GB members. Only four guys riding for Cavendish and there is no way that few can control a race for 250kms.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

The Cycling Road Race …

post-104736-0-81569200-1343526002_thumb.

The Royals chatting with Australia's Cadel Evans

Kazakhstan's Alexandr Vinokourov won gold in the men's 250 kilometre road race. Team Sky rider Rigoberto Uran, from Colombia, came in second and Alexander Kristoff of Norway won bronze.

post-104736-0-27477400-1343525965_thumb.

Not something you see everyday!

The best of the Australians was Stuart O'Grady's sixth place in the race, finishing eight seconds behind the winner was a fine performance.

post-104736-0-86377300-1343525962_thumb.

Stuart O'Grady in Yellow

This and the next few posts from here

A case of sour grapes by Cavendish?

' "The Aussies just raced negatively": Cavendish takes aim after disappointing road race.'

post-104736-0-58254700-1343527004_thumb.

'British rider Mark Cavendish has taken aim at his Australian opponents after a disappointing performance in the Olympic men’s road race. Cavendish accused the Australian team of racing "negatively" and conspiring with the rest of the field to make sure Team GB didn't win.'

However British road champion in 2003 and 2004 ' Roger Hammond, said Cavendish was a "victim of his own success".

"We've almost been accustomed to [british cycling wins], when they say they're going to do it, they do it, and we sat here shocked that they didn't actually win," Hammond said. "That's a great sign of British cycling but it's hard to hide the disappointment because we were getting ready to dance around the mall." '

A case of sour grapes by Cavendish?

' "The Aussies just raced negatively": Cavendish takes aim after disappointing road race.'

post-104736-0-58254700-1343527004_thumb.

'British rider Mark Cavendish has taken aim at his Australian opponents after a disappointing performance in the Olympic men’s road race. Cavendish accused the Australian team of racing "negatively" and conspiring with the rest of the field to make sure Team GB didn't win.'

However British road champion in 2003 and 2004 ' Roger Hammond, said Cavendish was a "victim of his own success".

"We've almost been accustomed to [british cycling wins], when they say they're going to do it, they do it, and we sat here shocked that they didn't actually win," Hammond said. "That's a great sign of British cycling but it's hard to hide the disappointment because we were getting ready to dance around the mall." '

Whats the point dave?

I'm just enjoying the ladies' beach volleyball from yesterday. I can imagine that the weather must have a significant effect on how cheerful the participants look...

I was sorry to see that the competition is being staged in London, rather than somewhere with a more beachy sort of a tradition; but the weather does look nice

SC

I'm just enjoying the ladies' beach volleyball from yesterday. I can imagine that the weather must have a significant effect on how cheerful the participants look...

I was sorry to see that the competition is being staged in London, rather than somewhere with a more beachy sort of a tradition; but the weather does look nice

SC

Yes beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade,when the UK has 11,000 miles of coastline seems a little silly to me also.

SC

Yes beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade,when the UK has 11,000 miles of coastline seems a little silly to me also.

It seems strange to play it late in the evening rather than in the blazing heat of the mid-day sun, as well...

SC

(blazing heat of the mid-day sun - you have to laugh, really!)

One other problem was the lack of team GB members. Only four guys riding for Cavendish and there is no way that few can control a race for 250kms.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

There are only five members to a team in this competion, Stannard, Froome, Wiggins and Millar, & Cavendish, but you are right they cannot bring back a break away where no one wants to help.

I hope the commentary is ok as its utter garbage on most of the events I've watched so far,I've not heard one word since the woman's weightlifting started about 10 minutes ago,am I doing something wrong or is this how's it going to be on these additional ESPN channels.

Who are these ESPN people? Are they Americans?

Their broadcasting standards are lamentable.

It was hard to follow what was happening with the cycling

Pity the Beeb aren't doing it for free. Shameful actually.....

Edited by dhrobertson

Who are these ESPN people? Are they Americans?

There broadcasting standards are lamentable.

It was hard to follow what was happening with the cycling

Pity the Beeb and doing it for free. Shameful actually.....

I'm surprised that the cyling TV coverage doesn't include continuous presentation of key statistics: distance to go, time lag from the person shown to the leader etc. With this technology thing, that should be straightforward...

I don't really see what the British cyclists are complaining about. If they hadn't wanted someone else to win, they should have stayed in the leading group. If their strategy for the race relied on the support of others outside their own team, it was a pretty shakey strategy, surely?

SC