Thaksin's US Visa Not Part Of Deal Over U-Tapao: FM Surapong

webfact

Thaksin's US visa not part of deal over U-Tapao: Surapong

Supalak Ganjanakhundee

The Nation

Phnom Penh

BANGKOK: -- Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra obtained a US entry visa in May this year, Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday, dismissing opposition allegations it was granted in exchange for use of U-tapao airbase.

The ex-PM applied for the visa from the country in which he's lived in exile since April and the United States granted him a multiple-visa, valid for 10 years, on May 6, according to Surapong.

The opposition Democrat Party alleged earlier that the current government under Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra offered the US access to U-tapao airbase for a climate research project by Nasa in exchange for the visa for Thaksin.

The Democrats alleged that Foreign Minister Surapong made the offer during his visit to the US from June 11-17.

Surapong said the request to use U-tapao and Thaksin's visa were unrelated matters and the former premier obtained the visa more than a month before his visit. The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) announced on June 26 it would cancel the weather research project because Thailand failed to grant permission to use facilities at U-tapao airbase in time.

"The opposition should not politicise the issue for its interest. Such destructive politics could hurt our country," Surapong told reporters in Phnom Penh, where he arrived yesterday for an Asean meeting.

Surapong demanded the opposition take responsibility for false charges against him and the foreign ministry.

"Shame on the opposition, they should confess before priests for this sinful act if they were Christians, or make merit to release the sin if they were Buddhists," he said.

Surapong said he did not know about Thaksin's visa until a phone call to the ex-PM over the weekend in response to news of the visa being granted was revealed by Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-07-09

It seems astonishing that the US would grant a visa of any sort under the circumstances of this individual.

USA does have occasional corrupted and rotten apple in the govt too. Much less if compared to Thailand.

And yet the plot sickens again

With no Corroborating evidence whatsoever it is stated, and newspaper headlines scream, surly mobs assemble ..... that the NASA deal was about a VISA

Then he has a VISA

And now ... No VISA deal ..... what does this new week hold? Holding breath ...

How long .... How long till the Football preseason is here and I won't be wasting my time reading news headlines in the magic Kingdom

Surapong said he did not know about Thaksin's visa until a phone call to the ex-PM over the weekend in response to news of the visa being granted was revealed by Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama.

Same like Yingluck didn't know Thaksin had gotten his passport back.

You AND Yingluck should confess for this sinful act Surapong!

Same like Yingluck didn't know Thaksin had gotten his passport back.

You AND Yingluck should confess for this sinful act Surapong!

If they start to confess, it's gonna take ages to go through every thing.

• Like 1

Well I hope US did issue a visa and let's him come here. Perhaps we can give him a talk radio show, a free mansion and diplomatic immunity. Then Thailand can sever ties. After thinking about taxes in another thread, I am all for Thailand severing ties so we can stop giving Thailand my/our tax payer money.

I still cannot understand why anyone would give a hoot about him getting a US visa. Who cares! Because it's disrespectful. Grow the f up. At least we are not invading Thailand. Then at least Thailand would have something to complain about.

Well I hope US did issue a visa and let's him come here. Perhaps we can give him a talk radio show, a free mansion and diplomatic immunity. Then Thailand can sever ties. After thinking about taxes in another thread, I am all for Thailand severing ties so we can stop giving Thailand my/our tax payer money.

I still cannot understand why anyone would give a hoot about him getting a US visa. Who cares! Because it's disrespectful. Grow the f up. At least we are not invading Thailand. Then at least Thailand would have something to complain about.

Who is "we" ?

Surapong demanded the opposition take responsibility for false charges against him and the foreign ministry.

"Shame on the opposition, they should confess before priests for this sinful act if they were Christians, or make merit to release the sin if they were Buddhists," he said." cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If that's the case, then the whole House should become a Wat!

Henous crime, to make an accusation in Parliament. blink.png

-mel.

• Like 2

It's irrelevant whether Thaksin has a visa or not. His lackeys will continue to insist he has one but until Thaksin physically enters the United States, this is a non-issue (for one thing, he might have still be in possession of a 10-year visa he would have been granted years ago). I seriously doubt whether he will be allowed past the port of entry because I cannot see the US getting itself in the middle of this juvenile, catty political battle between the Democrats and PTP. For that reason, it's impossible that Thaksin will try to enter America unless he is expressly given the go ahead by officials in the US (that'll never happen and Thaksin will NOT want to lose face).

Also, it's really conspicuous that the only voices saying "Thaksin has a US visa" are PTP officials/Thaksin lawyers.

"Shame on the opposition, they should confess before priests for this sinful act if they were Christians, or make merit to release the sin if they were Buddhists," he said." cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

If that's the case, then the whole House should become a Wat!

Henous crime, to make an accusation in Parliament. blink.png

-mel.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Taxin is part of the Elite, this was confirmed when he was allowed to give a speech at the CFR just as the coupe was about to take place.

He is the man for SE Asia under the One Government plan...this is why he always makes the El Diablo hand gesture ....people like this are the curse of the World and obviously his soul cost a pretty penny but what has he actually got apart from living in desert .....and the promise of eternal wealthsick.gif

Taxin is part of the Elite, this was confirmed when he was allowed to give a speech at the CFR just as the coupe was about to take place.

He is the man for SE Asia under the One Government plan...this is why he always makes the El Diablo hand gesture ....people like this are the curse of the World and obviously his soul cost a pretty penny but what has he actually got apart from living in desert .....and the promise of eternal wealthsick.gif

Dysfunctional kids, despicable morals , despotic tendencies, disturbing ideals and a dismembered wife.

Agrred, he is a scary man.sad.png

Dysfunctional kids, despicable morals , despotic tendencies, disturbing ideals and a dismembered wife.

You nailed it Moruya.thumbsup.gif
  • Like 2

It seems astonishing that the US would grant a visa of any sort under the circumstances of this individual.

--------------------------------------------------------

I suspect that the US doesn't have a hard and fast rule excluding visas for fugitives. If this is so, it may be because some convicting authorities are not legitimate.

The Democrats, by running their mouths about U-tapao, have gotten themselves into a mess. They deserve to suffer. Yingluck must be laughing her head off.

I am no fan of Taksin. He is a very capable manage but far to greedy for money and power.

Bill

Edited by Scott
formatting