Old Focus Or New Focus?

Did a bit more research & the feedback from the old focus is somewhat worrying -

Yeah, gas consumption is pretty hefty... Furthermore, on safety issues a car is bound to perform badly against a SUV/pickup. Or are you thinking about something else?

Well my local dealer has given me a great deal on an ex-demo top Fiesta & in the colour I like - he also has a demo ranger coming up, 3000km away from being sold. To be honest the Mrs wants a smaller car & for the 2 of us a Ranger seems overkill & streching the budget slightly and the Fiests performs well in all the areas i need it too. I didnt feel cramped inside at all, and seems to score very highly in safety aspects - which is a major concern. Oh yeah and i can drive away tomorrow, just needs a clean

Ranger? do tell more...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a bit more research & the feedback from the old focus is somewhat worrying -

Yeah, gas consumption is pretty hefty... Furthermore, on safety issues a car is bound to perform badly against a SUV/pickup. Or are you thinking about something else?

Well my local dealer has given me a great deal on an ex-demo top Fiesta & in the colour I like - he also has a demo ranger coming up, 3000km away from being sold. To be honest the Mrs wants a smaller car & for the 2 of us a Ranger seems overkill & streching the budget slightly and the Fiests performs well in all the areas i need it too. I didnt feel cramped inside at all, and seems to score very highly in safety aspects - which is a major concern. Oh yeah and i can drive away tomorrow, just needs a clean

Ranger? do tell more...

He mentioned a potential Ranger - when I pushed further the obligatory silence and smile with not sure sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What negative feedback did you discover eezergood?

It would be helpful to know because I will probably be buying a Focus Sport+

My friend has been well pleased with his, here in Thailand.

Thanks

Edited by DILLIGAD

General poor fuel consumption, sporadic rusting - around the sun roof, under the front seat area - where rust proof treatment not sufficient. Small niggles such as broken levers, and the hyrdaulic risers for the boot leaking & broken

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Eezergood, I apreciate the explanation as it a large amount of money we are investing in 4 wheels.

It is strange because my American friend used to comment how economical his Focus was but maybe he was comparing it to some 'Yank Tank'?

I just wonder if you investigated the same Focuss as in Thailand as I believe none have sunroofs? Maybe the reports were about US or European cars????

General poor fuel consumption, sporadic rusting - around the sun roof, under the front seat area - where rust proof treatment not sufficient. Small niggles such as broken levers, and the hyrdaulic risers for the boot leaking & broken

Was that not over earlier models/American-manufactured models? But I concur on the poor fuel consumption.

I suppose poor fuel consumption would have been a problem with the older focus models (petrol models) in TH due in part to their four-speed auto set-up? That was one of the reasons for getting the 6-speed tdci diesel version instead.

The newer ecoboost focus could be a nice option if it ever gets launched here. I have also heard from Ford that the new diesels will not be launched here until the new Euro standards are in place for TH.

It's interesting that nobody appears to have considered the Chev Cruze 2.0 diesel... It doesn't appear too bad albeit a little pricey and I have also heard horror stories about their service levels. Another option could be the new BMW 320 diesel... I'm not prepared to pay those prices but could be a good option for those that are!

Edited by NewtoBKK

Thanks for the reply Eezergood, I apreciate the explanation as it a large amount of money we are investing in 4 wheels.

It is strange because my American friend used to comment how economical his Focus was but maybe he was comparing it to some 'Yank Tank'?

I just wonder if you investigated the same Focuss as in Thailand as I believe none have sunroofs? Maybe the reports were about US or European cars????

Sorry, I meant in this general area where one would normally find a sun/moon roof! OOOPs, apparently the windscrean had a propensity to allow in moisture? This was from a mechanic, but again this is just what I have been told on this particular issue

Sorry, I meant in this general area where one would normally find a sun/moon roof! OOOPs, apparently the windscrean had a propensity to allow in moisture? This was from a mechanic, but again this is just what I have been told on this particular issue

From what I read (http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/1778-ford-focus-water-leak/ ) it seems as though the issue was mainly with the hatch opening and unsatisfactory sealings.

Well to be honest, the deal for the Fiesta was so good and well within our budget it seemed silly to look for anything else. So the mechanic was correct, of sorts, as he was actually poining out another wet patch near to the centre consol.......

Anyways thanks for the feedback guys, and all being well I shall have a nice shiny new Fiesta in the car park within the month end :)

Well to be honest, the deal for the Fiesta was so good and well within our budget it seemed silly to look for anything else. So the mechanic was correct, of sorts, as he was actually poining out another wet patch near to the centre consol.......

Anyways thanks for the feedback guys, and all being well I shall have a nice shiny new Fiesta in the car park within the month end smile.png

Im also looking into buying a new fiesta for the mrs, and was wondering what model you bought and whether the gov rebate applies.

I understand that it has to be under 1500cc is that correct?

Also you mentioned that you were offered an ex demo, if it were a factory order how long would the delivery time be currently?

Anyways thanks for the feedback guys, and all being well I shall have a nice shiny new Fiesta in the car park within the month end smile.png

Im also looking into buying a new fiesta for the mrs, and was wondering what model you bought and whether the gov rebate applies.

Also you mentioned that you were offered an ex demo, if it were a factory order how long would the delivery time be currently?

Our model is not covered by the rebate - depending on colour and options, the dealer insisted no longer than 2-3 weeks maximum and if you arent too fussy about the colour within 2-3 days.

The new Focus Sport 5 door does come with a sunroof seen one in the Pattaya dealer and put a deposit down on one for the Mrs hopefully picking it up next month, but going by previous dealings with new cars I think I will be lucky to get one within 2 months. I do like the Sport its a tidy car for the Mrs and looking forward to 170BHP at the front wheels should be fun driving when I pop out to the shops.

Yes, it certainly does look good but a few reports from europe (cars been out there 2 years) indicated that the Audio system looks better than it performs. With

this shapely design, it must be hard to change.

Sorry to sound negative, its not my intention and this is a great car but is it worth 200,000b more than the outgoing model, am not convinced???

I expect my wife's new black 170 bhp Focus Sport+ to arrive either at the end of this week or next week. It was ordered at the Bangkok motor show earlier this year.

This morning in Bangkok I spotted my first new Focus on the road, a silver 4 door. They are obviously rolling them out so hope that your wife's one is not far away.

Our model is not covered by the rebate - depending on colour and options, the dealer insisted no longer than 2-3 weeks maximum and if you arent too fussy about the colour within 2-3 days.

Why was your model not covered by the rebate?

Why was your model not covered by the rebate?

Engine above the gov't max allowance of 1500cc - as I understand it

Engine above the gov't max allowance of 1500cc - as I understand it

Quite correct and i am fairly sure i heard somewhere that this offer expires soon too (August?). Of course, it may be then extended but

who knows?

OK amazing Thailand - car is ready to be picked up, but not so amazing FARANG. License needs renewing, and locked my wallet inside the safe (ATM card, license etc....) and typed in the old code. Taken 4 hours for the engineer to arrive, DLT place is now closed :( lesson learnt

Just picked up my wife's new 2012 Ford Focus Sport + in Bangkok and drove it back to Rayong. First impressions of the car is that its really a quality piece of kit. The doors are heavy and shut with a reassuring thunk. Its got stacks of gadgets on it but so far they seem quite intuitive. The Sony sound system is pretty impressive. There is no key which is a bit strange. You can lock and open the doors by tracing your finger over a sensor near the door handle. On the move the 170bhp engine is very quiet. You don't notice speed very much as it seems very planted and stable. The engine feels like it has plenty of power and the auto box has a good kick down. I'll take some pics tomorrow. The funny thing is my wife hasn't driven it yetbiggrin.png

Just picked up my wife's new 2012 Ford Focus Sport + in Bangkok and drove it back to Rayong. First impressions of the car is that its really a quality piece of kit. The doors are heavy and shut with a reassuring thunk. Its got stacks of gadgets on it but so far they seem quite intuitive. The Sony sound system is pretty impressive. There is no key which is a bit strange. You can lock and open the doors by tracing your finger over a sensor near the door handle. On the move the 170bhp engine is very quiet. You don't notice speed very much as it seems very planted and stable. The engine feels like it has plenty of power and the auto box has a good kick down. I'll take some pics tomorrow. The funny thing is my wife hasn't driven it yetbiggrin.png

Nice, how does the power compare to your old 2.0 lancer? There's a big difference in HP, but think the focus is quite a bit heavier too. Do you notice the weight or does the car have enough power to overcome it? Would like to know your 0-100 too:)

Nice, how does the power compare to your old 2.0 lancer? There's a big difference in HP, but think the focus is quite a bit heavier too. Do you notice the weight or does the car have enough power to overcome it? Would like to know your 0-100 too:)

Its strange you don't notice the power. It trickles around town and its very smooth. The lancer had an old fashioned 4 speed box and the kick down was quite rough and it had the tiptronic function where you could drop down a couple of gears manually. I don't know if it sounds a bit daft but the Focus doesn't seem fast because it does it in a civilised way. A couple of times on the way back from Bangkok I floored it and went down the inside and was surprised at how fast I was coming up behind cars.. The 0-100 I have no idea but my guess would be about 8.5 seconds. The car feels like a grown up hatch not a hot hatch, kind of like the the VW Golf mark iv 1.8t Gti. If I get a chance I'll try the 0-100 tomorrow.

Its strange you don't notice the power. It trickles around town and its very smooth. The lancer had an old fashioned 4 speed box and the kick down was quite rough and it had the tiptronic function where you could drop down a couple of gears manually. I don't know if it sounds a bit daft but the Focus doesn't seem fast because it does it in a civilised way. A couple of times on the way back from Bangkok I floored it and went down the inside and was surprised at how fast I was coming up behind cars.. The 0-100 I have no idea but my guess would be about 8.5 seconds. The car feels like a grown up hatch not a hot hatch, kind of like the the VW Golf mark iv 1.8t Gti. If I get a chance I'll try the 0-100 tomorrow.

As you know 8.5 sec is quick for a stock 2.0 in thailand. I think the official time my my civic 2.2 is 9.6 sec, so it will be interesting to see some official times too....

Already discussed this with Ezeergood but has anyone else heard what Ford are now offering for the 'outgoing' model Ford Focus Sport+?

There must now be at least one redundant Demo car in each showroom?

Thanks

Already discussed this with Ezeergood but has anyone else heard what Ford are now offering for the 'outgoing' model Ford Focus Sport+?

Thanks

Well, as to me, I was offered 10 k discount + a number of accessories. And the classics of course (registration cost etc).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks

Well, as to me, I was offered 10 k discount + a number of accessories. And the classics of course (registration cost etc).

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I saw the Focus Sport+ and liked it, although it looked really dated.

I reckon the dealer would have to do a lot better than some extra's

an a 10 000 baht discount to get my attention.

Especially since there is such a big change with the new models.

Regards

Will