Tg Flight In Trouble ?

phazey

Saw a weird thing this morning - worried me a bit. The Tg flight from Yangon to Bangkok, which i saw take off from the last hole of my morning golf game - We was on the road back to home, about 15 minutes later, the plane turned back, it flew over us at no more than 250 metre's altitude. Looking at the map of Yangon airport, it was approaching the runway, which was no more than 400 metres away and paralell to the road we was on. It also approached the "wrong" end of the runway, at 90 degres. I saw the aircraft flair before it went out of sight, but never saw anything else.

Anyone know anyone in TG who can verify this ?

I'll try to get a map attached. maybe someone with some flying experiance can verify if a 737 can turn 90 degreee' with such low height and distance to the runway...

After seeing the thread about not flying on Friday the 13th, and then reading this report I'm sure it would give superstitious people more confidence in their beliefs. Anyways, certainly hope the flight was able to land safely. I haven't seen any news reports of any plane crashes, so hopefully it wasn't anything serious, although I'm sure for the people onboard it was more than a little uneasy.

Edited by Soju

Perhaps suddenly after take off someone remembered it WAS Friday 13th and the plane performed an extremely dangerous manouvre so that it could get back to whence it came!!! I mean Thais are not superstitious are they????

Seriously though, sounds like a false alarm (Thank God)

Saw a weird thing this morning - worried me a bit. The Tg flight from Yangon to Bangkok, which i saw take off from the last hole of my morning golf game - We was on the road back to home, about 15 minutes later, the plane turned back, it flew over us at no more than 250 metre's altitude.
I suspect they were told to delay flight due to the Air Force restricted sky around Don Muang yesterday during Children's Day flyover rehearsals. From reports it was total chaos for commercial flights yesterday.

If I understood Phazey’s original post correctly he saw the flight take off from Yangon airport and return to Yangon airport 15 minutes later.

Lopburi, in the type of situation you describe the plane would have been asked to wait in a holding pattern near Bangkok airport, or it would have delayed its departure at Yangon.

Knowing THAI and imaging what Yangon tower must be like, it is of course entirely possible that instructions to delay departure from Yangon were received by the pilot only after the plane had already taken off, for which reason it then returned to Yangon for a later repeat takeoff.

Who wants to play golf in Yangon, anyway? :o

-------------

Maestro