My Rant And Sorry

TomTom55

Why don't you start off small - there's tons of small business owners who'd probably give you a bit of beer money to make their website a bit prettier or their logos a bit sharper, and it will build up your portfolio. Look for work on line through sites like elance or peopleperhour.

Getting your first job out of college is hard anywhere in the world, especially if it's in a fairly popular area like graphic design. It's alright to say you speak Thai, I'm sure you do and quite likely better than I do, but if you're up against a Thai graduate with similar experience and ability, who speaks, reads and writes Thai as a native language, doesn't need a visa or work permit and isn't going to decide he likes Cambodia better 6 months down the line, who do you think a company is going to invest time and money in training?

Thanks for the site suggestions NBD. Would it be illegal to freelance work to clients outside of Thailand? The other issue is that I am seeing a lot of employers wanting the designers to have knowledge of HTML and actual web design which is something we never got taught in University or college. You have also pointed exactly the main issues with me and finding work here, it is like swimming against a strong current. But I will take your advice and see if I can start small.

I don't think you would have any visa issues just working out of your house and targeting businesses in the UK or elsewhere. If you're doing a full on business in Thailand chasing Thai customers and employing staff then yes you would need a WP and the right visa.

Plan B, and I know you don't want to hear it, but go back to the UK, find a job and learn your trade that way. With all due respect to your mum there are jobs there and it will be a lot easier to find one that it would be in Thailand.

Plan C, if you're under 30 get a Working Holiday Visa and go to Australia which is in less of a slump right now, earn yourself some cash and get some experience under your belt.

I don't think you would have any visa issues just working out of your house and targeting businesses in the UK or elsewhere. If you're doing a full on business in Thailand chasing Thai customers and employing staff then yes you would need a WP and the right visa.

Plan B, and I know you don't want to hear it, but go back to the UK, find a job and learn your trade that way. With all due respect to your mum there are jobs there and it will be a lot easier to find one that it would be in Thailand.

Plan C, if you're under 30 get a Working Holiday Visa and go to Australia which is in less of a slump right now, earn yourself some cash and get some experience under your belt.

Unfortunately its not legal either way. But many do it and i personally don't see a problem with it. Its better to be legal but not always possible.