Ford Ranger - Some Of The Things That Are Not Good With It

OK,

I just got a Ford Ranger in mid April, the first batch and its a chilli Orange WT 4 door. Its a nice looking pick up and always get nice comments about it from random people, even the BIB at times.

But some of the things on it are not very good. I will list them and see if any of you have the same problem.

- One of the air vents are already broken, the little nop you use to mofe it, the stick its on that attached to the vents that goes sideways game of the tracks, its a pain in the ass to put on, I cant seem to do it. So got to go to ford to make them do it.

- Front bonnet protector, its only got double sided tape on the sides of it, after going on the freeway I hear a flapping noise, when I got home I saw the bonnet protector on the right was covering the blinker, I lifted it a bit and the flapping actually scratched the hell out of about a 10 x 5 cm spot. Really poor design IMO.

- The transmission, I feel like it already starting to go, sometimes it changes gears early IMO and sometimes really late at about 2500 RPM's.

- When I over took someone on the weekend, I notice black smoke coming out of the exaust, not sure what that it, will take it back to the dealer when its time for a service. Or if it continues I will take it back next week.

- The automatic wipers, they seem to work good on ocasions, but sometimes it just goes way to slow and I cant see sheet.

- There is no slow mode for the wipers, not one that pauses for like 3 seconds. Its just auto, slow (not very slow) and fast. So when the auto wipers are not working properly, I have to do it manually which is annoying.

- The aircon is really really cold. on its warmest settings, it nearly as cold as my inlaws coldest setting. I have gotten a slight cold off it a few times.

- On a really hot day, the aircon takes about 10 minutes to blow cold air, my CRV would kick in much mich faster and it was a 7 year old car.

- The key hole is not in a good place, the keys are always hitting my leg, it get alittle annoying on a slighly bump road.

- the coin pocket on the drivers side is too big, wen I pull it down to get change out of iot for the toll, its always hits my knees and getting coins out of it is a pain in the ass.

- The bluetooth phone system has dialed twice without me even trying too. It both times just dialed the first number in my address book by itself.

- The stereo, it sounds good, but the difference in sound with regards to volume is a HUGE jump from 4 to 5.

- Sometimes when you break and about to stop, it seems like the turbo just kick in or something as it sort of kicks forward like I have never experienced in any other car.

Other than that, its a ok car. But I think the design inside really is not as good as they make it out to be, some things were not thought out properly and poorly designed. Air vent coming off the rails with little force shows it's not very well designed.

Anyways, happy motoring biggrin.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a Ford. wai.gif

If you want reliability and the thing to keep going then Toyota has it sewn up. Folk complain about old design BUT it's a design that has stood the test of time. Toyota for decades has produced engineering reliability. thumbsup.gif

It's a Ford. wai.gif

If you want reliability and the thing to keep going then Toyota has it sewn up. Folk complain about old design BUT it's a design that has stood the test of time. Toyota for decades has produced engineering reliability. thumbsup.gif

Old design !! nearly every new truck I see I have to take a second look because there seems to be nothing Vigo lookalikes on the road.

One of my friends has a Ford,no proms at all, he luv's it. :)

Edited by Kwasaki

It's a Ford. wai.gif

I don't agree, the old Ranger was considered undestructible by many. OP's gearbox problems are a bit worrying, did you ask Ford about it?

If I am not mistaken Toyota have the world record for recalls on new cars and they really don't have any vehicles that are tempting me.

I am following the Ford Ranger tread in Australia as I have one 2.2 Wildtrack on order and I don't see/read about any problems.

The Toyota Vigo is a good solid truck but very very dated and I don't want one.

It's a Ford. wai.gif

I don't agree, the old Ranger was considered undestructible by many. OP's gearbox problems are a bit worrying, did you ask Ford about it?

If I am not mistaken Toyota have the world record for recalls on new cars and they really don't have any vehicles that are tempting me.

I am following the Ford Ranger tread in Australia as I have one 2.2 Wildtrack on order and I don't see/read about any problems.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, don't agree. The Toyota Tiger was and still is a good Toyota truck but Toyota made this truck better buy providing a far stronger chassis and calling it a Vigo. What is dated ?. Vigo has more low end torque where it is needed on a truck, better brakes and a proven bullet proof auto trans. My comment is dealing with decades of stuff about reliability.

ALL manufacturers have recalls, BUT we are talking about trucks here, NOT anything else. smile.png

Tell me any big recall problem with a Vigo that is not used for rallying. ?

It's a Ford. wai.gif

OK read and weep. :D

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/06/23/thailand-pick-ups-may-2012-toyota-hilux-above-40-share/

Okay point taken, +19.000 units in one month not bad, but maybe because they can't sell them overseas. Not everybody wants to buy a truck that had its 10th nose job done instead of making a complete new vehicle with better safety and comfort levels.

Ford dealers I been to have been begging Ford for more Ranger's as customers are getting impatient.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

Well what I listed above are mostly just small things, but still a little annoying.

One thing thats worrying in the gearbox and it changing and random times

It's all about design and longevity of any components in a work horse. It's a WORK HORSE to survive daily stuff.

There is no slow mode for the wipers, not one that pauses for like 3 seconds. Its just auto, slow (not very slow) and fast. So when the auto wipers are not working properly, I have to do it manually which is annoying.

I have the older version of the Ranger (2009-2011) - on the wiper knob, 1/3 of the way down, you can twist to adjust the speed of the 'slow' wiper speed - very very slow to virtually continuously in about 4 stages. Maybe the same?

Also - black smoke out of the exhaust is probably a build up of sulfur from the fuel. You need to drive it a bit faster! Or try the Shell stuff. There are a few companies now selling the ultra-low sulfur diesel.

It's a Ford. wai.gif

OK read and weep. biggrin.png

http://bestsellingca...above-40-share/

It looks to me as if there is something very strange about these numbers. Colorado on 4th with almost 8%?

Okay point taken, +19.000 units in one month not bad, but maybe because they can't sell them overseas. Not everybody want to buy a truck that had its 10 nose job done instead of making a complete new vehicle with better safety and comfort levels.

Ford dealers I been to have been begging Ford for more Ranger's as customers are getting impatient.

Toyota had the safety features BEFORE the rest rolleyes.gif, still there . The front end is totally new pressings fitted to a perfect chassis. WHAT more can they do ? Put flashing lights all over it, or in it, like some have done. Come on now, why change the perfect set up. Ooooop's forgot, Toyota could go for the ''Go faster stripes on the hood'' like you know who. sad.png

I bought the last of the previous models.

2011 2.5 Open Cab.

Have to say that I'm more than impressed with it. Yes a bit plastic inside but most new cars are unless you are spending the big bucks.

Coming up to our 30k service and haven't had any issues.

I also get a little blast of black when I boot it but that is because I normally just trundle along at 100.. Might start giving it some decent V Power fuel and some high rev trips...

IMO the new models are too big and ugly as hell... But I'm loving the Ford :)

- Sometimes when you break and about to stop, it seems like the turbo just kick in or something as it sort of kicks forward like I have never experienced in any other car.

Perhaps this is the transmission downshifting to 1st or 2nd??

Nqah there is only auto wipers which has the thing you twist doe the sensitivity. The nest level in medium and the fast.

The Auto Wipers on the New ranger is absolutely useless even on full sensitive. when you shop in traffic and its light rain, they just dont move and you can't see through the windscreen until you put the gas down.

Its not abad car, but they really need to make improvements on it. The aircon is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold.

I have had an XLT 4dr 6AT since Jan and none of the problems you mentioned in the last 8000kms. Sure the air-con is cold but Thailand is a tropical country, good! When it is not so hot it is fine on the lowest setting and on really hot days it blows nice and cold within about 10secs of the engine starting.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Its not abad car, but they really need to make improvements on it. The aircon is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold.

I have had an XLT 4dr 6AT since Jan and none of the problems you mentioned in the last 8000kms. Sure the air-con is cold but Thailand is a tropical country, good! When it is not so hot it is fine on the lowest setting and on really hot days it blows nice and cold within about 10secs of the engine starting.

Try driving it at night in Issaan. You'll need a heater.

Web, Steven and all good stuff. I am looking at the Wildtrak 3.2 (if and when it ever is produced). The upside web is you are gaining all the face for your new Chilli Orange Wildtrak. I guess like all new models, there will be some teething issues for sure. The 2,2 XLT is an option only because of the shorter wait time. Maybe it's not a bad thing to have to wait until next year to get a Wildtrak. Let all those Aussies get the one's (and Web) with the growing pains and hopefull the fixes will be done by the time I get around to odering one and getting one. I think Dec 25, 2013 seems like a xmas present for myself.

To both of you. Knowing what you know would you buy them again? The BT 50 looks ok, maybe it will grow on me but a little too much zoom zoom on the front end. The Dmax is alright too.

Btw I inquired at Ford Silom about ordering a wildtrak a week, she said a long time and tried to push me to a XLT. I asked what about the all new 2013 everest - still waiting for a reply 3 days on now. As it's based on the same platform as the new ranger, I expect it to be seen by mid-late 2013 earliest.

(ps to Web, if you want to sell yours, give me a shout ;)

Since January?

Aircon on a really hot day takes about 5 minutes to blow cold air in mine.

Even on a really hot day, after blowing for 20 minutes on the lowest settings on fan 1, its colder than my inlaws coldest setting on fan 1.

You could use it as a refrigerator.

Hey, I still love it.

Was just having a little rant and still happy with the purchase.

- Black smoke not blowing any more, must just been a build up of some crap.

- Still looks sexy

- But the only thing that does piss me off is the wipers, I just need to do it manually when its light rain.

After reading alllllllllllllllllllllllllll this stuff l would not touch it with a barge pole.

Really sounds like '' l bought one with teething problems that a dealer won't fix but l made the right choice for my money'' thread. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Okay point taken, +19.000 units in one month not bad, but maybe because they can't sell them overseas. Not everybody want to buy a truck that had its 10 nose job done instead of making a complete new vehicle with better safety and comfort levels.

Toyota had the safety features BEFORE the rest rolleyes.gif, still there . The front end is totally new pressings fitted to a perfect chassis. WHAT more can they do ? Put flashing lights all over it, or in it, like some have done. Come on now, why change the perfect set up. Ooooop's forgot, Toyota could go for the ''Go faster stripes on the hood'' like you know who. sad.png

As they needed two goes to get the air intake in the centre of the bonnet stripes would be well beyond themtongue.png .

if the aircon doesn't blow cold air on shortly after start up, thee must be something wrong.

I think it was just time of the month for the OP, the air-con works just fine and is nice and cold after a few secs of the engine being on regardless of the outside temperature.

I was suggesting there was something wrong with his, not every Ranger. Taking 10 minutes to blow cold air as opposed to cooling the whole cab, suggests there is something not quite right. Your's sounds fine. Webbangkok's doesn't.

Edited by MESmith